As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The TV Thread: More for Less

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Any thoughts on fuckoff large TV's for gaming/general support? I'm reworking part of my basement to make space for VR (again) and general usage, so would like to mount a big TV on the back wall without spending an arm and a leg (cue looking through the window in the rain at OLEDs) - looks like the X900H is the best bet if not going OLED?
    Would also prefer optimizing for no spyware etc. if possible (backup plan is just not giving it wifi access)

Samsung's QLEDs are still some of the best gaming televisions out there, bar none, especially at a competitive price point--previously, they really shined by early adoption of variable refresh (that's gradually gotten more common with LG, not sure if Sony does it yet, but why wouldn't they?), having much lower latency than more expensive OLED panels (but that gap has closed to), excellent native support for Xbox consoles (and also Playstation, but I have to assume Sony has an edge in this area, or at least their advertising says they do). They still match the highest end LG and Sony sets for functionality specifically for video gaming consoles. Aside from branding with Playstation, Sony doesn't really seem to boast about their gaming functionality for whatever reason on any of their sets (I guess dropping PSNow from all their TVs a few years back led to this), though at least now I think they've adopted some of the features Samsung had for a few years earlier (low latency, V.R.R.).

I really couldn't speak for spyware. Samsung's own UI can detect what console you plug into it and offer recommendations (i.e. advertising) off to the side of the banner, but I've literally never selected one of those banner items in the first place (also, I don't really change my inputs that often, which is the only place in the UI--with HDMI-CEC, the consoles can do it now, so you won't have to use the TV's UI at all potentially). I'm pretty sure LG's own interface can do the same thing by now, though I doubt anyone would consider this an actual positive, and you could just as easily leave the TV offline and avoid the issue entirely.

EDIT: Also, the current standards for HDMI 2.1 on the newly-released consoles are kind of headache so I'd really avoid buying a new television for gaming right now and waiting a year or more until things are actually normalized (and associated feature prices go down), but if you need a new TV, you need a new TV. If you're just looking for something to plug a UHD player or 4K streaming device into, it matters way less.

Note - I'm almost entirely a PC and Switch gamer, it's doubtful I'll ever have an Xbox/PS connected.

One nice thing about the samsungs is that they have a steam link app that works natively. It even supports 4k streaming, though you might want to make sure your network is up to snuff for that

I have the higher end Orbis, so definitely up to snuff. I try to avoid Samsung, but may have to take a look at the Q80's.

Last year, the primary difference between the Q70R and the Q80R was the later's anti-reflective coating--which sounds great, but in practice actually doesn't make that much of a difference because the Q70R is really bright TV, and both TVs have way higher peak brightness than your typical OLED, which depending on your living room, mitigates a lot of viewing angle concerns. The Q80R had more local dimming zones, but the Q70R has a lot of them too, and actually has a higher-contrast ratio and more uniform blacks according to Rtings.com (also it was cheaper, which is why I got it at my price point). Probably only matters if you're actually choosing between these two and not 2021's models.

Q70 does not have local dimming, so there may be some confusion there.

The Q70R does have full-array local dimming, and I still see them for sale here and there--but a similarly-sounding current day does not, and is cheaper than the Q70R's original price.

*shakes fist angrily*

EDIT: Surprisingly, my Q70R has better blacks and local dimming than a Sony X950 of the same year. No wonder people spend hours on Rtings.com.

Yep, looked it up and they axed it for newer models. Disappointing.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Any thoughts on fuckoff large TV's for gaming/general support? I'm reworking part of my basement to make space for VR (again) and general usage, so would like to mount a big TV on the back wall without spending an arm and a leg (cue looking through the window in the rain at OLEDs) - looks like the X900H is the best bet if not going OLED?
    Would also prefer optimizing for no spyware etc. if possible (backup plan is just not giving it wifi access)

Samsung's QLEDs are still some of the best gaming televisions out there, bar none, especially at a competitive price point--previously, they really shined by early adoption of variable refresh (that's gradually gotten more common with LG, not sure if Sony does it yet, but why wouldn't they?), having much lower latency than more expensive OLED panels (but that gap has closed to), excellent native support for Xbox consoles (and also Playstation, but I have to assume Sony has an edge in this area, or at least their advertising says they do). They still match the highest end LG and Sony sets for functionality specifically for video gaming consoles. Aside from branding with Playstation, Sony doesn't really seem to boast about their gaming functionality for whatever reason on any of their sets (I guess dropping PSNow from all their TVs a few years back led to this), though at least now I think they've adopted some of the features Samsung had for a few years earlier (low latency, V.R.R.).

I really couldn't speak for spyware. Samsung's own UI can detect what console you plug into it and offer recommendations (i.e. advertising) off to the side of the banner, but I've literally never selected one of those banner items in the first place (also, I don't really change my inputs that often, which is the only place in the UI--with HDMI-CEC, the consoles can do it now, so you won't have to use the TV's UI at all potentially). I'm pretty sure LG's own interface can do the same thing by now, though I doubt anyone would consider this an actual positive, and you could just as easily leave the TV offline and avoid the issue entirely.

EDIT: Also, the current standards for HDMI 2.1 on the newly-released consoles are kind of headache so I'd really avoid buying a new television for gaming right now and waiting a year or more until things are actually normalized (and associated feature prices go down), but if you need a new TV, you need a new TV. If you're just looking for something to plug a UHD player or 4K streaming device into, it matters way less.

Note - I'm almost entirely a PC and Switch gamer, it's doubtful I'll ever have an Xbox/PS connected.

One nice thing about the samsungs is that they have a steam link app that works natively. It even supports 4k streaming, though you might want to make sure your network is up to snuff for that

I have the higher end Orbis, so definitely up to snuff. I try to avoid Samsung, but may have to take a look at the Q80's.

Last year, the primary difference between the Q70R and the Q80R was the later's anti-reflective coating--which sounds great, but in practice actually doesn't make that much of a difference because the Q70R is really bright TV, and both TVs have way higher peak brightness than your typical OLED, which depending on your living room, mitigates a lot of viewing angle concerns. The Q80R had more local dimming zones, but the Q70R has a lot of them too, and actually has a higher-contrast ratio and more uniform blacks according to Rtings.com (also it was cheaper, which is why I got it at my price point). Probably only matters if you're actually choosing between these two and not 2021's models.

Q70 does not have local dimming, so there may be some confusion there.

The Q70R does have full-array local dimming, and I still see them for sale here and there--but a similarly-sounding current day does not, and is cheaper than the Q70R's original price.

*shakes fist angrily*

EDIT: Surprisingly, my Q70R has better blacks and local dimming than a Sony X950 of the same year. No wonder people spend hours on Rtings.com.

Yep, looked it up and they axed it for newer models. Disappointing.

Indeed. They are both technically called the Q70.

The current 65" Q80/Q80T is actually almost, to the dollar, the price of my 65" Q70R when I got it (the Q80R was a few hundred dollars more) to replace my defective screen (a long, tedious story in this thread). And Q70R sets like mine are still available online.

Sounds like another good reason to sit and wait if you can manage, on top of HDM 2.1.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    If you want it against the wall, just mount it. Do it. Mount all the things!

haha I'm in an apartment. Worst it's metal framed, so mounting to the wall is really fun.
    If you want it against the wall, just mount it. Do it. Mount all the things!

haha I'm in an apartment. Worst it's metal framed, so mounting to the wall is really fun.

Metal studs are easy enough. As long as you're not using a full motion mount, a set of toggle bolts will get that puppy up there safely. As for it being an apartment... Fuck em.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    My living room TV is starting to have problems so my wife and I are looking at getting a new one as a joint Christmas gift to each other. The one I am replacing is mixed use gaming and streamed video but I am not above getting a new gaming TV and swapping TV locations.

I really like the Sony we got a couple years ago (XBR-55X930E) and the Samsung I am replacing didn't last very long in my opinion (I think 5 years) so I am kind of anti Samsung right now. I would appreciate suggestions for a good all-around model or a good model that will age well for next-gen consoles.

I am leery of OLED for gaming though as it seems they still have burn-in concerns.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Butters wrote: »
    My living room TV is starting to have problems so my wife and I are looking at getting a new one as a joint Christmas gift to each other. The one I am replacing is mixed use gaming and streamed video but I am not above getting a new gaming TV and swapping TV locations.

I really like the Sony we got a couple years ago (XBR-55X930E) and the Samsung I am replacing didn't last very long in my opinion (I think 5 years) so I am kind of anti Samsung right now. I would appreciate suggestions for a good all-around model or a good model that will age well for next-gen consoles.

I am leery of OLED for gaming though as it seems they still have burn-in concerns.

Do not listen to Synthesis' Samsung siren song! It is Samsung! Synthesis will lead you astray! Buy a Sony and be happy with your life! Or an LG OLED! Enjoy life again!

But seriously, the discussion we've had the last couple pages about HDMI 2.1 and everything will fill you in. Basically boils down to:

- Samsung Q80/Q90 for the adaptive frame rate stuff and 4k/120 support
    - Sony/LG OLED for image quality (burn in is generally not a problem with gaming now, it's usually people who put on the news for 8+ hours a day that run into a problem)
    - TCL 6 series if you're on a budget.

And uh.. 5 years is a good run these days, unfortunately. Like appliances, they don't make TVs like they used to.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Do not listen to Synthesis' Samsung siren song! It is Samsung! Synthesis will lead you astray! Buy a Sony and be happy with your life! Or an LG OLED! Enjoy life again!

But seriously, the discussion we've had the last couple pages about HDMI 2.1 and everything will fill you in. Basically boils down to:

- Samsung Q80/Q90 for the adaptive frame rate stuff and 4k/120 support
    - Sony/LG OLED for image quality (burn in is generally not a problem with gaming now, it's usually people who put on the news for 8+ hours a day that run into a problem)
    - TCL 6 series if you're on a budget.

And uh.. 5 years is a good run these days, unfortunately. Like appliances, they don't make TVs like they used to.

Disclaimer: If you buy an LG (or Sony) OLED, you will only be happy with life for approximately a year before the very discreet burn-in sets in. :lol:

No, I don't have a closet full of LG monitors with (temporary) image retention problems, thanks to LG's terrible customer support, why do you ask?

(More seriously, don't leave it on for 5 hours a day--even OLED faithful seem to warn that. 8 hours on different channels is just asking for problems apparently, the consensus seems to be simply don't leave it on, period, and you'll be fine.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Definitely not getting OLED then. 5+ hour long gaming sessions are common in my household

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Definitely not getting OLED then. 5+ hour long gaming sessions are common in my household

I assume you have a family, because it's incredibly difficult for me to picture myself playing a game for five hours, even on a weekend. My issue is that my Xbox is my primary media device, and runs for 8 hours on every weekday, because I turn it on when I return from work and turn it off when go to sleep way too late. It's my media player, music player, how I get some of my social alerts, etc., so it'd be sitting on the home screen for hours and hours.

(I'm envious.)

• Options

I assume you have a family, because it's incredibly difficult for me to picture myself playing a game for five hours, even on a weekend. My issue is that my Xbox is my primary media device, and runs for 8 hours on every weekday, because I turn it on when I return from work and turn it off when go to sleep way too late. It's my media player, music player, how I get some of my social alerts, etc., so it'd be sitting on the home screen for hours and hours.

(I'm envious.)

It's just me and the wife right now. We have a doggie but she does not have thumbs or care about TV. My wife likes slow-paced games so its very common for her to pour 7-8 hours into Stardew Valley over the course of a weekend especially with COVID keeping us inside. XBONE is the primary media player as well on the TV to be replaced.

I don't watch much TV but when I do it's playoff sports so that's a lot of static content on the margins as well.

• Options

(I'm envious.)

It's just me and the wife right now. We have a doggie but she does not have thumbs or care about TV. My wife likes slow-paced games so its very common for her to pour 7-8 hours into Stardew Valley over the course of a weekend especially with COVID keeping us inside. XBONE is the primary media player as well on the TV to be replaced.

I don't watch much TV but when I do it's playoff sports so that's a lot of static content on the margins as well.

Your dog is not playing video games and will not be contributing to this issue, this is assumed. I was assuming (incorrectly) you had children, so a household adult might play a game for a bit, then pass off to a child, and then viola, five hours have passed.

But I hadn't considered places with stricter quarantine. Even when I'm working from home, every other week, I don't play video games for five hours a day. When I'm going to sit in my office alone for eight hours a day, I'm lucky if I get an hour or 90 minutes (that being said, I also play some games on PC).

If you're going to be playing the same game, potentially, for five or more hours a day, a few times a week, yes, I could see this being an issue. Maybe. With Stardew Valley even, where you do end up looking at the same menus more often than not.

Damn, it's been years since I played GOG-version Stardew Valley.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    OLED all day, just so beautiful

I game and watch tv a lot since working at home for the last 2 years. Even before lock down I only went in to office once a week.

No burn-in yet and the testing they do on rtings.com shows burn-in isn’t nearly as bad as the days of old.

The newer models are more resistant and have features to mitigate the risk.

I know there are a few of us here in the forums that game on OLEDs.

Dixon on
  • Options
    I've dealt with a couple B/C9s recently for burnin. Both cases were from TV. One kept MSNBC on all day long and the chyron was burned in. You could see the ghosted image there forever, especially on solid colors (put an orange screen on and the bottom third was green). In both cases I ended up junking the TVs out and getting them QLEDs instead.

(We're not supposed to do that, we should be repairing them. But in these cases they were sold by an in home advisor who should have known better to sell OLED sets to these people.)

• Options
    The most common video game related OLED burn-in culprit on these threads, if memory serves, is the "OVERTIME" logo from Overwatch.

Which says a lot about Overwatch too.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Looking at picking up a nice 5.1 sound bar to go with the fancy tv I picked up a while ago. Anybody have experience with the JBL Bar 5.1 (with detachable rear speakers), or something similar?

• Options
    What's your budget? I don't have any experience with that specific JBL but you can get into a 5.1 soundbar system anywhere from $200 all the way up to a couple grand depending on what you're looking to spend.

• Options
    What's your budget? I don't have any experience with that specific JBL but you can get into a 5.1 soundbar system anywhere from $200 all the way up to a couple grand depending on what you're looking to spend.
    Probably $200 - $500 ballpark.

• Options
    So there's that JBL one that's around $400. I don't know a lot about it, though I do remember the JBL soundbar I've dealt with before being extremely heavy on the bass. They're not bad though.

Maybe check out the Vizio SB36512-F6 too. It's an entry level Atmos soundbar with rear satellites that plug into the wireless sub. I don't love Vizio's TVs, but their soundbars are pretty ok especially for their price points.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I've had a Vizio 5.1 SB (pre-Atmos) for about 4 years now - it is a nearly painless way into surround sound, as long as you realize that the rear speakers and sub ARE all wired to one another, just not to the bar. I assume the newer models are the same arrangement. It is very dependent on having a TV with ARC acting as your media switch as well since inputs are limited.

Audiophiles need not apply, but it does exactly what it's meant to, nothing more nothing less.

I also like my Vizio TVs, so take that for whatever it's worth...

Senna1 on
  • Options

(I'm envious.)

Your dog is not playing video games and will not be contributing to this issue, this is assumed. I was assuming (incorrectly) you had children, so a household adult might play a game for a bit, then pass off to a child, and then viola, five hours have passed.

But I hadn't considered places with stricter quarantine. Even when I'm working from home, every other week, I don't play video games for five hours a day. When I'm going to sit in my office alone for eight hours a day, I'm lucky if I get an hour or 90 minutes (that being said, I also play some games on PC).

If you're going to be playing the same game, potentially, for five or more hours a day, a few times a week, yes, I could see this being an issue. Maybe. With Stardew Valley even, where you do end up looking at the same menus more often than not.

I don't play for 5 hours a day on average or anywhere near that. But a 5-8 hour marathon (on like a new product release) or an extremely boring day does happen. Also, during the NBA playoffs its common I have the games on all evening (3-4 hours) a few times a week while I do other stuff. If this has more than minimal risk of burn-in I will stick with LED. The stunning, inky blacks aren't worth it if I'm going to see the outline of scoreboard along the bottom in-between scenes.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular

(I'm envious.)

I don't play for 5 hours a day on average or anywhere near that. But a 5-8 hour marathon (on like a new product release) or an extremely boring day does happen. Also, during the NBA playoffs its common I have the games on all evening (3-4 hours) a few times a week while I do other stuff. If this has more than minimal risk of burn-in I will stick with LED. The stunning, inky blacks aren't worth it if I'm going to see the outline of scoreboard along the bottom in-between scenes.

Here's rtings findings on oled burn in if you want some help making up your mind.

• Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    I'd really recommend reading up the rtings.com test they're doing. They've been running OLEDs for 102 weeks and counting. They run on a 5 hours on/1 off schedule and cover live news, football, and games.

I really think it shows that unless you're watching something static at full brightness for 10+ hours a day, burn-in won't be an issue. LG panels also have an automatic pixel refresher.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

• Options
    ...are we sure about the OLED burn-in statements? A quick google makes it look like the issue is more with channels with lots of static content, like having a TV just set on CNN.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I'd be a lot more comfortable listening to people here than Rting's comprehensive but very specific tests, if only because they much more closely resemble my behavior. Plus, it's not as though "burn in" is the only concern either, as they'll note, dimness over time is a separate but related issue (and not something to happens to everyone either).

(I'm envious.)

Ah, I see. Couldn't weigh in on televised sports as I don't follow them (at least not in the US). That does seem a lot more common-place than somehow playing 5 hours of the same game a night, even under quarantine.

One thing that might make a difference, though, is how bright the environment is. Even the brightest OLEDs are the market...aren't that bright (their extremely high contrast comes from the black spaces they produce, because it's the difference between light and dark). Never mind that a few years back, OLED manufacturers openly recommended users not use the brightest settings to extend the life of their sets (I don't think they do this anymore, or at least as much). Today's LEDs are still way brighter, especially in HDR. But as it's contrast that "counts", this really only matters if you use your TV in a bright environment like I do.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Yeah I play WoW, and other games with static content for 5+ hour stretches almost daily....it's very slow at work lol

I think it's like, you leave CNN on, all day, with that same red bar, it's gonna be likely then.

Regarding brightness, does anyone have their TV's at max? Even my C8 OLED, the max brightness is still very bright, it hurts my eyeballs.

Dixon on
  • Options
    Dixon wrote: »
    Yeah I play WoW, and other games with static content for 5+ hour stretches almost daily....it's very slow at work lol

I think it's like, you leave CNN on, all day, with that same red bar, it's gonna be likely then.

Regarding brightness, does anyone have their TV's at max? Even my C8 OLED, the max brightness is still very bright, it hurts my eyeballs.

Yeah, there's a reason why no one manufacturers OLED monitors, and I mean, no one. The last one Dell (I believe, maybe, possibly, they are known for monitors) put out, they pulled shortly afterwards. Guess why. :lol:

I don't, but I have a QLED as noted (and it's calibrated to my Xbox, which prefers "Warm1" over "Cool" or "Normal", which is less bright). It's literally brighter than any OLED panel, but it's also in the brightest room in my apartment by a lot.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    The reason isn't burn-in for there not being smaller monitors, it's the cost associated in doing so. That Dell monitor was like $3500.

They use OLED on phones now as well which have static content.

Yeah def QLED is brighter, but I wouldn't say OLED is dark in any way shape or form. It still hurts the eyeballs at max. I'd much rather have the absolute blacks.

I mean there is a reason it's the highest rated TV on rtings.com

Look at the all reviews page for TV's. OLED owns the top 6 spots

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/tvs-on-the-market#conclusion

EDIT:

If your someone who is going to be worrying about burn-in all the time regardless, it might not be worth picking up for the piece of mind.

Personally I won't go back until either another tech offers me that same level quality. I also def learned to turn the tv off when I'm not using it, where as the other 'big' tv in the house is on all the time just sitting at some menu.

Dixon on
  • Options
    As someone who replaced his otherwise lovely LG smartphone after two years in large part because of (permanent) screen burn-in, "Phones use OLEDs" is not confidence inspiring. Like, at all. :lol:

• Options
    Yeah, burn in on phones is definitely a thing. I've seen it on tons of phones, including my old Pixel 2 and my wife's old Note 9.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Yeah, burn in on phones is definitely a thing. I've seen it on tons of phones, including my old Pixel 2 and my wife's old Note 9.

The irony is for me--and I know I'm the not the only one--the lock/always on screen is what burns in first, i.e., the screen that does tend to be on the most often but is actually extremely dim by the standards of what the phone's screen is actually capable of. It's not surprising that by the G8, LG set the information to move around the screen every few seconds by default as a prevention attempt.

As a pretty stalwart LG phone user, I assume though I've never done the research that LG's phones use a fundamentally different OLED/AMOLED technology than their televisions, because while pretty they are very short lived.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    For most of the phones it's been the soft buttons on the bottom. One of the reasons I'm glad the Pixel moved to gestures instead of buttons.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Ah yeah that’s my mistake, LG phones don’t use their own OLEDs but couldn’t see how recent that is.

Seems they use a BOE screen manufactured in China. Same for iPhone 12’s.

My 11 Pro uses an LG OLED though which is still weird. Didn’t realize those were OLED, never really heard of burn-in on a iPhone.

But yeah seems to be common that the smaller/phone Oled tech doesn’t come close to match the tv OLED tech.

Dixon on
  • Options
    chosenofsotekchosenofsotek Registered User regular
    I'm hoping to get a new TV for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. The GF and I have settled on a 4K, 65 inch. Does anyone have any recommendations? We use the TV for both gaming and watching movies/TV. And has anyone heard anything about black friday/cyber monday deals yet?

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Aside from BOE, LG also makes OLED displays for phones, it'd be really weird if they didn't make them for their own phones considering how much pride they take in them.

Allegedly, Samsung's are better. I wouldn't know, I don't own Samsung phones, but they're certainly a lot more popular.
    I'm hoping to get a new TV for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. The GF and I have settled on a 4K, 65 inch. Does anyone have any recommendations? We use the TV for both gaming and watching movies/TV. And has anyone heard anything about black friday/cyber monday deals yet?

I think it depends really on what you're willing to spend, and what you're going to use it for, on top of what deals are available. Quite a few of us have screens in the 65" range, and they literally do not make TVs of that size that aren't UHD (4k; 2160p capable) nowadays, even if not all of them have HDR (most of them do). You can't get a 1080p television much over 40" or maybe 43" nowadays, there's no reason not to either. And all of us really like our TVs, since either agonized over the choices (or spent months getting something wrong with them fixed and are happy now).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I've watched NFL game day for over 5 hours on my C6 and no issues. Now different stations have logo's and things in different spots, so maybe that helps. I also only have my OLED light and brightness at 60. Now if I'm playing a game with HDR, then it bumps that up but then I don't play those for over 5 hours very often (ME: Andromeda being the only one, no burn in or IR).

Objectively dozens and dozens of professional reviews recommend OLED's over their LCD counterparts. Outside of the use case of a super bright room, it just comes down to better picture quality. Even in HDR where LCD's can get way brighter, most reviewers prefer the PQ on an OLED.

To me if just comes down to comfort level. Burn in and IR are risks. I have an OLED to game on because I'm the only one using it and I can mitigate that risk so I'm comfortable. And I'm spending multiple thousands of dollars on PC and console equipment, I want the best quality. But I'm not going to get a OLED for the living room as it's a more communal TV where static logo's could be on for 10+ hours (GF has ID channel, LMN, Food Network, etc, on in the background while she works during the day).

It's funny were back to the old Plasma vs LCD debate all over again.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Objectively dozens and dozens of professional reviews recommend OLED's over their LCD counterparts.

Reviews themselves, by definition are not objective and cannot be objective. :lol: But I think your point is made clear nonetheless.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    haha yeah, meant it in terms of the results of the reviews not the reviews themselves. Probably should have worded that better.

• Options
    Yeah I was surprised they didn't do them for their own phones, I guess they used to, then BOE could do it cheaper, so now they outsource. Seems like even Apple is going that route.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I am weak. 85 inch Sony 900H on it's way to my basement. Firmware looks to already be fixed for HDMI 2.1 on them as well (I think one of the first to get patched)

• Options

All of the black Friday deals are already live. Stores don't want people lining up because the pandemic and because online and curbside have been a boon for business and keeping labor costs down. There might be something else on cyber Monday, but the deals are here and live.

• Options
    I am weak. 85 inch Sony 900H on it's way to my basement. Firmware looks to already be fixed for HDMI 2.1 on them as well (I think one of the first to get patched)

Jealous. We had an 85" TV for work and I always wanted to try and sneak a game system in to try out after hours haha.