edited May 2011
    Spy sappin mah sentry.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    where's that propaganda with the rifter

the whole "my ship costs less than your ammo, my weapons aren't even loaded" etc..

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also

HKcTC.jpg

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    where's that propaganda with the rifter

the whole "my ship costs less than your ammo, my weapons aren't even loaded" etc..

Bam

Dhd8o.jpg

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yes, yes.

This is what I want.

I just need to buy a rifter.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I always thought Merlins looked cooler

Remind me of B-Wings

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My modules ARE picked off of rats. I don't even know how to have non-rat modules.

I'm excited when I loot something that sells for more than 50k.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There's something so charming about flying what seems to be a bunch of telecommunication satellites duct taped together with battleship cannons.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    There's something so charming about flying what seems to be a bunch of telecommunication satellites duct taped together with battleship cannons.

literally all minmitar ships

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    merlins are pretty sweet looking.

i wonder if hawks are any kind of viable after the rocket boost

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    hawks use standards, not rockets

and assfrigs are bad and you should feel bad

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ishkurs used to 0wn for hunting officers in delve

so fuck you :condi:

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ishkurs don't count

ishkurs are way too good

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    same with wolfs/jaguars

but yeah, the rest of the assfrigs are pretty terrible.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Okay Pip earlier you said Amarr isn't really newbie friendly

How so/why is that? I want my guddam space lasers

(edit) Also is there any way I can get the client in steam if I already have an account and don't want to buy it (again) through steam

they require really good capacitor skills and fitting skills to use
    you need to understand traversal and how tracking works
    their ships aren't very good for solo/small gang pvp until WAY higher skills
    their mission running ability sucks dick until you get to bses and t2 gear
    they can't really rat guristas for shit

Oh I'm familiar with the math from my last stint, no worries there

But as for the statistics, not that I don't trust you so much, but how much of this is overdone hyperbole

I

I want space lasers :(

(edit) Though minmatar throwing shells the size of volkswagens is kinda funny

Ledneh on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why are those bees taking a boot

Or is the boot not some in joke and I am reading into it too much

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Okay Pip earlier you said Amarr isn't really newbie friendly

How so/why is that? I want my guddam space lasers

(edit) Also is there any way I can get the client in steam if I already have an account and don't want to buy it (again) through steam

they require really good capacitor skills and fitting skills to use
    you need to understand traversal and how tracking works
    their ships aren't very good for solo/small gang pvp until WAY higher skills
    their mission running ability sucks dick until you get to bses and t2 gear
    they can't really rat guristas for shit

Oh I'm familiar with the math from my last stint, no worries there

But as for the statistics, not that I don't trust you so much, but how much of this is overdone hyperbole

I

I want space lasers :(

(edit) Though minmatar throwing shells the size of volkswagens is kinda funny

Detailed answer:

Amarr are quite suboptimal for ratting in Deklein. The rats tank Kin/therm which means amarr will be dealing very subpar damage compared to most people ratting in a tengu/drake/raven/maelstrom.

The current goonswarm fleet doctrine is maelstroms, scorpions, and scimitars. No armor tanking, or lasers. So once again amarr have no place with what we fly.

Small gang pvp is all about the dramiels, cynabals, and the occasional t3. Legions are shit and none of the good faction ships use lasers. Bhaalgorns are cool, but you never see them outside of alliance tournaments. Shield harbis are another thing onto themselves.

Don't get me wrong that amarr are bad. Ahacs are still a very viable fleet composition, and both the NC, trivoke, and drf fly abaddon variations, but the clusteruck is all about shield fleets and maelstroms.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    Why are those bees taking a boot

Or is the boot not some in joke and I am reading into it too much

The boot is just something big, like a man, and the bees are little.

Like frigates tackling a capital.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Where do Gallente fit into fleet ops? If at all.

It seems like Calderi and Minnmitar are the most popular.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    gallente fit into fleet ops in that their capitals (extreme endgame) are boss.

Nyx are by far the best supercarrier, and thanatos are great fun for ratting (pve). Not to mention they can repair both shields and armor. Other carriers focus only on one or the other, or energy in the case of nidhoggers (lol).

Gallente bs used to be premier long range snipers back in 06/07'ish, but because of patches and changes in the meta, they're relegated to use in empire. There they are used with blasters and a very heavy buffer tank consisting of many plates and no repair systems, to sit on the undock of stations and dish out massive dps on targets that haven't even loaded yet.

Sadly hybrids are just the bastard child for guns though when it comes to fleet fights. The require less cap than lasers, but deal less damage, and still require ammo. They don't have any kind of bonus to damage like lasers do, or have the massive alpha that artillery does. Overall they're just extremely meh.

When i first started, the megathron was my dream ship. I still think it's one of the most badass looking vessels in the game, but it's just not very good anymore. Anything gallente can do in pvp, somebody else can do better. (barring specific circumstances)

Tying into the gallente subject, i'll tell you about das boot.

Das boot was all about the Dominix class battleship. While we were deployed in curse, we had watched our french brosefs in Section XIII dish out ridiculous punishment to the pets in the area with nothing but dominixes, guardians, and damnations, so goons decided to give it a try.

It was the most chill/fun fleets ever. Literally you would log in, assign your sentries to the fleet commander, then go afk and shit up teamspeak/jabber/forums. The idea being that each pilot only had to focus on remote repairing the other member, while the fleet commander (who had the drones assigned to him) one by one attacked the enemy fleet. Sadly changes to the meta meant that domi's and sentries were no longer were useful, but those were some of my favorite ops, chillin with mittens, and just bs'ing all night long with the other dudes.

holy shit :words:
    tl;dr drones suck, hybrids suck, train something else

vxqu6.jpg

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I cannot stress enough how good gal capitals are

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    also, minimitar capitals are awful

fuck them and their subcap supremacy

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    yeah, it's rather balanced in that sense.

Minmatar subcaps are compeletely awesome while their caps are shit.

and the opposite is true for gallente.

although ishtars are fun for 8/10's :3

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    the taranis always had a soft spot in my heart too when you want to play top gun

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I was trying to figure out Hybrids, and trying to figure out what constitutes "long range" and "short range".

I'm using railguns right now which have an optimal range of 7500... is that considered fairly long?

But hybrids aren't good. What are sound alternatives? I was thinking missile launchers might be fun.

Capital Ships are a specific group right? So these? http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Item_Database:Ships:Capital_Ships:Carriers:Gallente

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I was trying to figure out Hybrids, and trying to figure out what constitutes "long range" and "short range".

I'm using railguns right now which have an optimal range of 7500... is that considered fairly long?

But hybrids aren't good. What are sound alternatives? I was thinking missile launchers might be fun.

Capital Ships are a specific group right? So these? http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Item_Database:Ships:Capital_Ships:Carriers:Gallente

I'm going to assume since you've just started out, that you mean 7500m with some small rails. That's a very short optimal range.

Long range in this day and age constitutes 100km + It used to mean 200-250km, but the times have changed and probing makes it easier to warp in on long range targets. Goonfleet sniper maels operate around ~90km.

Missile launchers are a solid choice for a new player. The drake is an extremely newbie friendly ship that allows you to get right into the thick of things within just a couple weeks of training. Obviously it's just a stepping stone, and if you join with merchi we will force you to train into logistics, electronic warfare, or projectiles, but it will allow you to earn your own way in no time at all.

Missiles have the benefit of dealing the same damage regardless of range, with speed and size of the target being the only variables.

This might be a bit ahead of the game, but the current training path we'll recommend is rifter--> hurricane (salvaging)/heavy missile drake --> scorpion (ecm) -->t2 fit hurricane --> t1 fit maelstrom --> t2 fit maelstrom/scimitar

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    NekxNekx Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just applied. EVE handle is Nekx Chinaski. Seems pretty interesting thus far. For some reason I love the UI!

Nekx on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    re: capitals

They can be broken into four groups:

Dreadnoughts:

Revelation (amarr)
    Moros (gallente)
    Phoenix (caldari)
    Naglfar (minmatar)

These guys go into siege mode (immobile and repair / damage boost) and break down immobile structures. They used to be the workhorse of fleets everywhere, but are obsolete outside of suicide short range fits in this day and age.

Carriers:

Archon (a)
    Thanatos (g
    Chimera (c)
    Nidhogger (m)

Carriers are about repairing other ships, immobile structures, and using fighters (big fancy drones) to deal damage. Carriers are essentially meatshields for even more expensive ships these days. Still, they serve a very important purpose in keeping others alive.

Supercarriers:

Aeon (a)
    Nyx (g)
    Wyvern (c)
    Hel (m)

These guys are the creme of the crop. They are the anti-captial ship capital ships, and if you have more of them than the enemy, then you win. They demolish immobile structures, and pretty much rape everything that gets in their way. The iwin button of eve.

Titans:

Erebus (g)
    Leviathan (c)
    Ragnarok (m)

The biggest ships in the game. These guys 1-shot anything smaller than a supercarrier every 10 min with their death star laser, and launch hundreds of ships multiple light years away thanks to their jump portals. Titans are more alliance assets than anything, and essentially giant epeens to helicopter around.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    right now I have mk2 prop jamming, remote armor repair, and minmitar frigates... so about 7 hours away from rifter.. whenever it is I start training it.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    i wouldn't bother with remote armor repair, since that's about repairing other ships, and you won't find it useful unless you're flying a priest dominix, or a logistics ship.

here's a couple basics that can get you into a fleet rifter and out shooting mans though

Propulsion Jamming I
    Energy Grid Upgrades I
    Energy Grid Upgrades II
    Hull Upgrades I
    Navigation IV
    Afterburner I
    Afterburner II
    Afterburner III
    Afterburner IV
    High Speed Maneuvering I
    Minmatar Frigate III
    Missile Launcher Operation I
    Rockets I

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Cool. That's like.. less than 3 days of training pretty much. The combat tutorials get you started on a lot of that stuff.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I'm not trying to jerk you around when i say that it'll literally take just a couple days to get into a fleet rifter, and about two weeks to get into a fleet drake and flying on your own.

The advanced stuff takes a while, but you can make a big impact within just a few days.

Just ask gorn who tackled a dread this evening and saved the entire fleet from boredom by being an enterprising newbie in his merlin.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I went to go make a salad and my destroyer got blowed up. I *probably* could have gotten away but it took me 10 seconds to figure out where I was and if the thing I was looking at was a gate or a starbase.

They didn't hit that hard.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To be fair, destroyers aren't too useful better off getting yourself a well outfitted frigate and moving to cruisers

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ok I am going to think about this until Wednesday morning. If I'm still as interested in EVE by then those of you posting that appear to know what they are talking about will be flooded with pms and directed posts as I try to absorb as much info about this game as possible.

I tried playing it once alone and that sucked pretty bad, but now I am seeing people who know the game and I can possibly join up with in some capacity, and that was enough for me to spend years in WoW.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif