-Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    now you're just making stuff up

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well...better than ME1 anyway. probably because I take too long to shoot, so I never was bothered with the whole narrowing accuracy thing.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    I liked the shooty parts of Alpha protocol more than ME2 :P

Now Spoit, I loves me some Alpha protocol, but the shooting was not the greatest.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ad astra, edit it out.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    thanks ad

Shabooty on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Ad astra wrote: »
    Quoting Taky from the social thread.
    takyris wrote: »
    What are you trying to play? Mass 1? Mass 2? Gears? Uncharted? Alpha Protocol?

The wait just got a lot worse.

I may be the only person who is excited as all fuck that Mass Effect 3 might actually be influenced by Alpha Protocol.

Uh, you know, the good bits of Alpha Protocol.

Uh, I've been monitoring for anything in SE++ for the best part of... too long.

Anyway, ain't seen him post nothing like that recently. Which is a shame, because that sounds good.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ok, I was being a bit facetious. But honestly, I did like the idea behind the narrowing accuracy in Alpha protocol, and it suited the way I was inclined to play it anyway, but I can see how most people dislike it.

And on the flip side, it's nothing really personal against ME2, but I really dislike the whole gears of war 3rd person shooter paradigm, of which ME2 fit, and ME1 didn't really fit.

Besides that though, part of the reason I didn't really care for ME2 was the increased reliance on player skill, as opposed to character skill. In ME1, and to a lesser extent AP, simply by playing you level up your skill points to the point where you become a BIOTIC GOD and can easily roll enemies in your sleep. Whereas in ME2, even if you max out your skill points, you can still easily get overwhelmed if you can't shoot mans good (and more importantly, fast) enough

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

Besides that though, part of the reason I didn't really care for ME2 was the increased reliance on player skill, as opposed to character skill. In ME1, and to a lesser extent AP, simply by playing you level up your skill points to the point where you become a BIOTIC GOD and can easily roll enemies in your sleep. Whereas in ME2, even if you max out your skill points, you can still easily get overwhelmed if you can't shoot mans good (and more importantly, fast) enough

Almost finished another ME1 playthrough and I have to say, the gameplay gets pretty boring when I can just roll through enemies without thinking about it. I much prefer the challenge that ME2 presents even when your a higher lever rather than becoming a god about half way through ME1. Just my opinion though.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ME1's problem was that the combat was still clearly designed as a skill-based shooter, and the gun stats just dragged it down. Stat-based shooting is fine, but you can't waffle in the middle. That's why ME3's upgrade system is the way to go, player skill should dictate accuracy while still allowing a lot of weapon customization. It sucks to know a shot is right on and get screwed by numbers.

I also prefer the idea of a consistently fair, but increasing difficulty instead of the old broken system of Level 1-7 ohmygodohmy god Level 14-16 pretty fun! Level 16+ AHAHAHAHA FOOOLS

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    -Tal wrote: »
    ME1's problem was that the combat was still clearly designed as a skill-based shooter, and the gun stats just dragged it down. Stat-based shooting is fine, but you can't waffle in the middle. That's why ME3's upgrade system is the way to go, player skill should dictate accuracy while still allowing a lot of weapon customization. It sucks to know a shot is right on and get screwed by numbers.

I also prefer the idea of a consistently fair, but increasing difficulty instead of the old broken system of Level 1-7 ohmygodohmy god Level 14-16 pretty fun! Level 16+ AHAHAHAHA FOOOLS

Which is why I liked AP's approach to the whole skill-cone thing. If you aim for a second, your guns are laser accurate, as opposed to like Deus Ex or ME1, where it's always still a relatively large cone

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Preferring Shepard's skill over mousing skill is understandable. It's a paradigm I've been sympathetic to in the past, but I'd say first that ME1 didn't do any of the mechanical things it set out to do very well, so I can't really be nostalgic over terrible execution of things I like (and thus ME3's revamp of the RPG elements of ME1 as the sequel revamped ME1 combat can only be good), and secondly that - as Tal says - wildly missing things because of a die roll when you have a targeting reticule dead on is awful. Increasing accuracy in ME1 doesn't change the need to aim, it just makes it more efficient; I haven't seen one of these blended systems that's been very satisfying.

The way the combat system is designed can shift importance in encounters, but personally I found ME1 much worse for getting rushed by imperiously invincible krogan who could kill me in one charge (I saw that goddamn elevator scene so many times) or Geth Rapedestroyers or whatever else at low level when you sucked regardless of what you did.

And often even in tabletop games, I enjoy the addition of player skill, whether it be Jenga towers or Nerf guns or darts or whatever.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I literally just finished ME1 for the first time 10 minutes ago, and I was wondering: do enemies level up with you? I wound up tearing through everything at Feros, but figured "Oh, it's just because it was one of the first story missions, so I'm overleveled. Then I proceed to Virmire, and then on to the end of the game in a couple hours, and it gets no harder. It's like the Geth didn't get any stronger since the beginning of the game despite the fact that my Shep did.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Enemies do level up with you.

But you're basically unstoppable at the end of the game.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    They scale, but it's not linear or very well-balanced. Once you hit a certain point you just keep getting better and better in comparison, and godlike biotic powers or invincible immunity just skew that even more.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The only thing is that enemies also get invincible immunity. not so much the BIOTIC GOD powers though

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I say make Hardcore like the current Insanity and make Insanity actually insane, enemies get singularity and pull and charge and the lot

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I have fond enough memories of being pinned to the floor by commandos or lunatic biotics as it is, man. And not in a "Shepard's pinned to the floor by an asari commando wink wink" way, either.

Although on that subject, being raped by the Consort was certainly a surprise.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have fond enough memories of being pinned to the floor by commandos or lunatic biotics as it is, man. And not in a "Shepard's pinned to the floor by an asari commando wink wink" way, either.

Although on that subject, being raped by the Consort was certainly a surprise.

If anyone asks, I raped her.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You don't get pinned to the floor, you fly. If you don't have your armor up. Maybe Kaidan can pull you down. But you can still fight as you fly.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PC Gamer ME article is out and it has quite a few spoilers
    PC Gamer wrote:
    "Garrus, Liara, Kaidan, Ashley and (newly confirmed) Tali are all full
    time members of your team if they survived the previous games."

-Wrex?
    "I asked point blank about Wrex and got as close to a 'no' as I think Bioware will come at this early stage: exceutive producer Casey Hudson simply re-emphasised that such characters canplay a role and fight alongside you without necessarily being permanent squad members."

-No new LIs in ME3

-Biotics are more potent in combat
    "Biotics can use their Pull ability to rip a shield out of someone's hands"(????)

-Multi Layered combat areas
    "The games combat spaces have graduated from the often-familiar open areas dotted with low walls. They're now multi layed encouraging you to seek high ground for a better vantage point...[the rest is about Cerberus rocket boot dudes using this to their advantage]

-class Specific Melee attacks
    Engineer: Omni-tool fire lash attack
    Adept: Melee (biotic) attack that knocks everyone near them away and stuns

-Powers Evolve more than once
    "In ME3 this is just the start. A Vanguard player can customise their devastating Charge move first to slam people harder, then do more damage, then to reduce the cooldown.

-Powers combine
    Example given with Soldier: "Soldier still has an arcing attack called Concussive Shot, but it now behaves differently depending on the ammo ugrade he/she is using. Cryo ammo lets you use that same trajectory to deliver a blast of ice that canfreeze every enemy in the area."

-Story is more like ME1 than ME2

-Places being visited (at least what the Magazine reports):
    [...]mission takes you to the Salarian homeworld, the Quarian homeworld, the Asari homeworld, and the human homeworld - Earth. You'll even go to Mars [...]

-Every major character you have met will play a role in the last game

-Why is Cerberus after Shepard? They are working with the Reapers (=( )
    "If your wondering why we were fighting Cerberus, having worked closely with this shadowy organisation in Mass Effect 2, the answer just raises further questions. They are wokring with the Reapers"

-Reaperized enemies include Asari, Krogan, Rachni
    "In Mass Effect 3 we'll fight the Reapers other experiments, with other species.
    One is a hideously bloated pregnant Asari, her gums stripped away and a robot skeleton showing through her rotting flesh"

"The Reapers take on the Rachni, who were already viscious insect monsters,are covered with bulging savs of lesser creatures. Rather than hitting their weak spot for massive damage, you want to avoid it like the plague: bursting any of these sacs before the creature is dead wit will unleash a swarm of horrible mini-rachni that crawl all over your body"

"The Reaperised Krogan wears heavy armor plates that can shear off with enough focused fire. Once you do the creature changes its behaviour to be more defensive clutching its lurid blue intestines to its stomach as its lumbers towards you"

Casey Hudson summarizing ME3 (This is an article quote):
    "Casey sums up Mass Effect 3 as being about victory through sacrifice, the scale of that sacrifice has been increasing with each new chapter" [Rest is authors speculation about saving(or not saving) Wrex and Rachni consequences]
    Lbnuf.jpg83LTY.jpgs6LcM.jpgfLXmO.jpg

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    woah woah woah, no new conquests?

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Dammit, Dox!

I will sig you again, you mark my words.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    woah woah woah, no new conquests?

No new love interests.

There's probably plenty of conquests.

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I still refuse to believe TIM is heading "Cerberus" during ME3

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, everything they said about Ceberus in that article seems alittle bit odd..... :?

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    One is a hideously bloated pregnant Asari, her gums stripped away and a robot skeleton showing through her rotting flesh"
    ss2_screen002.jpg

(I can't remember if that's even the original Midwife model from System Shock but whatever)
    ??

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Yeah, everything they said about Ceberus in that article seems alittle bit odd..... :?

Really? Considering the massive change Cerberus went under between 1 and 2, I'm not seeing why their new radical shift is surprising anyone.

I mean this is the group that was feeding people to husks, Thorians and Thresher Maws as well as preforming horrific experiments on biotic children. Then they decide to give you a couple billion dollars of stuff despite you wiping out almost half of their operational teams, according to what EDI says their size is in ME2. Then they prove to be hyper incompetent and need you to literally scrape up after every team you aren't personally heading.

Their actions, size and motivations have never made any sense. Now they're a huge military force with melee ninjas. Whatever, I'm just going to kill them and not worry about it.

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Dox the PI on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    oh man

vanguard charge evolutions

starting at level 30

engineer getting an energy blade

AAAAAAAAAAAAA

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's not a roundhouse kick!

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    They keep promising on increased verticality with every game. But never delivering :(

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Is that sidebar statement that "if you gave Cerberus the base, you helped an enemy" what Bioware said, or just what PCgamer interprets the situation as?

Because it seems odd that Bioware would straight up admit that one of the two end-game options of ME2 is outright wrong before the sequel's even out.

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Is that sidebar statement that "if you gave Cerberus the base, you helped an enemy" what Bioware said, or just what PCgamer interprets the situation as?

Because it seems odd that Bioware would straight up admit that one of the two end-game options of ME2 is outright wrong before the sequel's even out.

That is speculation.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Charge more often or Charge harder?

These are the decisions that will keep me up at night

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

That is speculation.

Speculation based on the fact Cerberus is explicitly your enemy now, and has a horde of Robo-Ninjas. And guys who will cut you.

TIM was holding out on us something fierce.

Z0re on
  • Options
    Tommy528Tommy528 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is that not Ashley Williams in the upper left of page 44?

If it is, I'm surprised PC Gamer didn't recognize her.

Tommy528 on
    Tommy528.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Tommy528 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure GameInformer said it was Ashley.

On the other hand, it doesn't look a hell of a lot like Ashley, so I wouldn't be too surprised.

Edit: Yeah, GI explicitly identified her as Ashley:
    5Gnm5.jpg

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tommy528 wrote: »

Yeah, that's Ashley, PC gamer is apparently dumb.

Also, joygasm is the only word I can use to describe my feelings after looking at those details.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Z0re wrote: »

That is speculation.

Speculation based on the fact Cerberus is explicitly your enemy now, and has a horde of Robo-Ninjas. And guys who will cut you.

TIM was holding out on us something fierce.

Cerberus is your enemy, but all those blurbs are speculation on the results of your choices. We don't actually know what effect the base will have.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Charge more often or Charge harder?

These are the decisions that will keep me up at night

charge more. if they let me keep the claymore, i don't really need any additional time dilation.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy