As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I liked Nic Cage in Kick Ass, because they lit him on fire. They should do that to him in every movie.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I dug the first Ghost Rider movie because Nic Cage

If Nic Cage is in something, I am going to be entertained

This is exactly my feeling on Nic Cage

Solar on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hey, I love Nic Cage too, I blame his Agent. But there is only so many times you can hear some of the lines in Ghost Rider before it starts to erode your soul.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I dug the first Ghost Rider movie because Nic Cage

If Nic Cage is in something, I am going to be entertained

As much as I love Nic Cage, Snake Eyes is a total abomination

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    nope.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Has it been confirmed yet on whether or not X-men:First Class is a prequel or a reboot? I keep seeing both, and it's a bit confusing. I'm just wondering if we'll see Cyclops, Jean Grey and the rest of the gang set in this timeline. I sure hope so.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Has it been confirmed yet on whether or not X-men:First Class is a prequel or a reboot? I keep seeing both, and it's a bit confusing. I'm just wondering if we'll see Cyclops, Jean Grey and the rest of the gang set in this timeline. I sure hope so.

Prequel that only pays attention to the continuity that it wants.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It definitely goes out of it's way to set up/explain certain things that show up in the original movies, but it also steps on some continuity toes, so to speak. But overall, it seems to be intended as a prequel.

Basically, the biggest continuity issues:
    1. In First Class, Cerebro is constructed by the CIA and Hank McCoy and while it gets destroyed, it doesn't get rebuilt in the film, and Magneto abandons Charles and forms the Brotherhood by the end of the film. In X-Men 2 (and I think 1) it's explicitly stated that Magneto helped to construct Cerebro and that fact is integral to the plot of #2
    2. Emma Frost is an adult in 1962 in First Class, but is a teenager in Origins: Wolverine which takes place in.. what.. 15 years before the first X-Men movie? So 1985? Maybe she ages backwards :P
    3. The Magneto/Professor X split happens in the end of First Class, yet they are seen working together in the flashback in the beginning of X-Men 3 when they visit Jean Gray as a child.
    4. Similarly, Professor X is paralyzed at the end of First Class, yet is seen walking in both the X-Men 3 flashback, as well as his cameo in Origins: Wolverine.
    5. Beast starts off human-looking in First Class and becomes his blue furry self over the course in the film, yet in X-Men 2 he has a cameo where he is human.
    6. Professor X doesn't really seem to be sure how Magneto doesn't show up on a Cerebro scan but he sees Erik take and use Shaw's helmet in First Class, and knows exactly what it does. (Admittedly, this one is more a nitpick)

I think that was about it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nic Cage is awesome. His Adam West impersonation in Kick Ass was legendary.....LEGENDARY!

Algertman on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It definitely goes out of it's way to set up/explain certain things that show up in the original movies, but it also steps on some continuity toes, so to speak. But overall, it seems to be intended as a prequel.

Basically, the biggest continuity issues:
    1. In First Class, Cerebro is constructed by the CIA and Hank McCoy and while it gets destroyed, it doesn't get rebuilt in the film, and Magneto abandons Charles and forms the Brotherhood by the end of the film. In X-Men 2 (and I think 1) it's explicitly stated that Magneto helped to construct Cerebro and that fact is integral to the plot of #2
    2. Emma Frost is an adult in 1962 in First Class, but is a teenager in Origins: Wolverine which takes place in.. what.. 15 years before the first X-Men movie? So 1985? Maybe she ages backwards :P
    3. The Magneto/Professor X split happens in the end of First Class, yet they are seen working together in the flashback in the beginning of X-Men 3 when they visit Jean Gray as a child.
    4. Similarly, Professor X is paralyzed at the end of First Class, yet is seen walking in both the X-Men 3 flashback, as well as his cameo in Origins: Wolverine.
    5. Beast starts off human-looking in First Class and becomes his blue furry self over the course in the film, yet in X-Men 2 he has a cameo where he is human.
    6. Professor X doesn't really seem to be sure how Magneto doesn't show up on a Cerebro scan but he sees Erik take and use Shaw's helmet in First Class, and knows exactly what it does. (Admittedly, this one is more a nitpick)

I think that was about it.

X-Men Second Class is Cable traveling back in time causing all sort of problems creating an alternate time line. Star Trek did it. Also Van Damme will be cast as Gambit and Steven Seagal will be Apocalypse.

Algertman on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My only real nitpick with First Class was that it made it seem like Charles can only use his power when he does this

Xavier-1.jpg

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just saw First Class. I'd have walked out of the theater if I wasn't seeing it with other people. About 3/4 of the cast and plot was unnecessary, and the writing was riddled with cliches.

Also, while Jones was awful, I don't see why she should be singled out when everyone except the guy playing Magneto and Bacon were similarly inadequate. Even McAvoy, who I've loved in other films, fell short of expectations when he wasn't flirting with coeds.

Fox can't lose the rights to this series soon enough.

Worst moment:
    When Shaw mentions slavery, then gestures towards the black guy. Like five minutes later, the guy with the power to survive anything gets blown up, and we're supposed to give a shit even though he's only had a handful of lines.

Ironically, that cheap death is probably the one area in which this film nailed the tone of the comics.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    5817753380_fbbebf00ec_o.jpg
    Wreck
    5817185231_d7981fa0c5_o.jpg
    And
    5817753094_4c3da0657c_o.jpg
    Rule

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Are those Nascar transformers? It looks like they have endorsements on them.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Those are in fact Nascar Transformers

but they're heavily armed Nascar Transformers

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes, they are. And if you look closely, you'll notice the blue one has a mullet.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    and the red one has a beer gut, and the green one has a baseball cap helmet

but those are only noticeable if you're paying close attention

all have shades/visors

their names, from top to bottom, are Topspin, Leadfoot, and Roadbuster

Antimatter on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm surprised there isn't an Ethanol one yet.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Michael Bay continues to make money making crap :(

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    God I really am excited for this film. I shouldn't be, I know, but I keep hearing promises from "The Industry" that it'll be better than the second and that they know just how bad the second one was. Plus Nascar Wreckers. And what seems like a Transformers-centric plot, finally. But honestly, any big-budget, 2 hour film made out of a 22 minute toy ad is gonna be at least alright to me.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Actually just watched Transformers 2 for the first time tonight

It was worse than I thought it would be, because I was lead to believe the fights were better than the first one

they were not better

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gank wrote: »
    God I really am excited for this film. I shouldn't be, I know, but I keep hearing promises from "The Industry" that it'll be better than the second and that they know just how bad the second one was. Plus Nascar Wreckers. And what seems like a Transformers-centric plot, finally. But honestly, any big-budget, 2 hour film made out of a 22 minute toy ad is gonna be at least alright to me.

Really? Every trailer I see is tied around a speach Optimus is giving that sounds very much like "Peace, we out. Time to take care of yourself, humans"

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ringo wrote: »
    Actually just watched Transformers 2 for the first time tonight

It was worse than I thought it would be, because I was lead to believe the fights were better than the first one

they were not better
    Who ever told you that is not your friend. He does not have your best interest at heart. The forest fight is passable but everything else is a train wreck.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    E3 Screen shots for Captain America: Super Soldier if anyone's interested.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sega shouldn't be allowed to handle movie licenses, look how much fun the Iron Man games are. The team that did X-Men Origins: Wolverine should be doing the movie games. I had a blast with that one, and I don't even like Wolverine.

Edit: Also, saw X-Men First Class tonight, best part was:
    when Mystique turned into her older self

Awesome and hilarious.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Good news. Tom Hanks is bringing 6 seasons of Neil Gaiman's American Gods is coming to HBO.

This is the next best thing to Sandman coming to HBO.

I read the book, and loved it. And it seems very adaptable to HBO. Best way I can describe it is as "Lucifer" meets "Carnivale".

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh, and if you live in the Ohio area, there's an open casting call to be an extra in the Avengers movie.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    tumblr_lmnatqAVs71qhoribo1_500.jpg

‘Captain America: The First Avenger’ crew posters will be prize at Hero Complex Film Festival
    Marvel Studios printed up 100 copies of a special poster just for the cast and crew of “Captain America: The First Avenger” and we’ll be giving away five of them on Sunday at the Hero Complex Film Festival in Hollywood. The retro-minded poster (and a nod to the first issue of the comic book) was created by the talented Paolo Rivera, whose many credits include covers for ”Fantastic Four,” “Spectacular Spider-Man” and “X-Men: Unlimited.” I’m thinking that one of those posters might go to the person in audience with the best Marvel Universe costume.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ugh

ugh

Dammit Marvel just let me give you money for that

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That is an awesome poster
    Also, I remembered that Toby Jones
    is playing Zola
    and got excited all over again

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    why aren't they selling those posters for twenty dollars apiece and making more money than the movie will

also I cannot wait to see Cap punch out Hitler in live action

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I wonder if we'll get to see
    a proper Arnim Zola, with the television in the chest and a camera for a head

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think Zola is kind of like Hector Hammond, in that any attempt at translating the look to live action is going to look really fucking stupid no matter what.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Nah man, just have a fake(his real) head that he wears over the camera-head and the TV screen on his chest can just be covered by a lab-coat or something most of the time. Then have a fight scene at the end with his fake head knocked off and lookin' all comic Zola. Done.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think Zola is kind of like Hector Hammond, in that any attempt at translating the look to live action is going to look really fucking stupid no matter what.

see the thing there is that I don't care

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    centi that is a good opinion

also why did no one tell me roddy piper was in the new green lantern animated thing

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It is also good, TLB. That is another reason to watch it.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    centi that is a good opinion

also why did no one tell me roddy piper was in the new green lantern animated thing

He's hilarious in his role, too.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thor was great

Antimatter on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Robin Best Buy exclusive DLC character for Arkham City

Which Robin, and will it reflect the new DCU (since Babs is Oracle in the game)?

TexiKen on
This discussion has been closed.