Options

ROCK BAND: This thread is dead! Go use the new one! :D

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    There's still something like twenty artists/songs to be named. I mean if one song is enough for you, then so be it.
    Maiden holds a very special place in my heart.

I was first exposed to them when I was like 8 years old, and listening to Adrian and Dave's harmonized guitars is what drove me to become interested in music (have played guitar for 12 years, drums for 15 (although I can't play very long anymore due to leg issues), studied theory). And through their songs I found out about a lot of stuff I've come to love (Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Coleridge, Stranger in the Strange Land by Heinlein, Alexander the Great, the poetry of Tennyson (through The Trooper), et cetera, et alia, ad absurdum).

They are IMO one of the greatest bands ever (rock/metal or otherwise) and I support them whole heartedly.

Damn, that seemed gushy :D

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Hmm, $70 for an RB3 Strat, 5 Chili Peppers songs AND a copy of RB3? That is... amazingly good. But I already own RB3. Hmm... Whatever, I'm totally ordering this next week when I get paid again. $200 for the drums and cymbals is a little steep, but considering it's $400 other places, yeah. That's a good deal. I'll have to try my kit out this weekend to see if I need to start setting aside money for a new one. Even if my current kit is fine, it's probably a good idea to buy it, use the cymbals on my old kit and keep the new one around if/until the current one dies.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    There's still something like twenty artists/songs to be named. I mean if one song is enough for you, then so be it.
    Maiden holds a very special place in my heart.

I was first exposed to them when I was like 8 years old, and listening to Adrian and Dave's harmonized guitars is what drove me to become interested in music (have played guitar for 12 years, drums for 15 (although I can't play very long anymore due to leg issues), studied theory). And through their songs I found out about a lot of stuff I've come to love (Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Coleridge, Stranger in the Strange Land by Heinlein, Alexander the Great, the poetry of Tennyson (through The Trooper), et cetera, et alia, ad absurdum).

They are IMO one of the greatest bands ever (rock/metal or otherwise) and I support them whole heartedly.

Damn, that seemed gushy :D

It don't make never no mind to me. I'm just saying the rest of the setlist could be Band Hero level stupid in comparison. Announcing a wholehearted intention to buy a game just because there will be a song from a band you like?

Personally, I'm indifferent on Iron Maiden. I've heard better. I've heard worse. But even if they announced my favourite artist tomorrow, I still wouldn't be gushing about it.

But maybe that's just me and damn near four years of not really getting anything that comes close to having 'a special place in my heart'. I already know I'm not going to get what I want, so I never really care overmuch about what gets announced.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    To be fair, I'd buy a Rock Band game if it had dredg in it, even if every other song was by Justin Bieber. Hell, even if every other song was "Baby, Baby, Baby, BABY, BAY-BEE, BAAAAAAY-BEEEEEEEEEEE" I would.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Wont all of the currently available Rock Band store songs be available to play in Blitz? Like, I can buy the RAtM pack when Blitz comes out and play the songs in that game?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Wont all of the currently available Rock Band store songs be available to play in Blitz? Like, I can buy the RAtM pack when Blitz comes out and play the songs in that game?

Yep.

And they've also said that most/if not all of the Blitz songs will exportable to RB3.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    To be fair, I'd buy a Rock Band game if it had dredg in it, even if every other song was by Justin Bieber. Hell, even if every other song was "Baby, Baby, Baby, BABY, BAY-BEE, BAAAAAAY-BEEEEEEEEEEE" I would.

Boobies, boobies, boobies, OH!

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Yep.

And they've also said that most/if not all of the Blitz songs will exportable to RB3.

I believe they've said that it was certain that all the in-game Blitz songs will 'export'.

(Export in quotes because I think the process is described as a two-stage download. You get the base game, and then you can, through the game, download the songs and those will be stored in the RB3 directory.

Some have already complained about 'double dipping' since the base game will also have a couple of the songs for the purpose of the demo [but they obviously won't be playable in RB3], but it was acknowledged by henry that there just isn't anything they could do about that.)

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Maiden!!!

Phantom!

Up the Irons!

Fuck yes, I have played the shit out of all the existing tracks, totally destroyed my drums with them.

Best fucking band in the world.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    So happy we're getting Phantom of the Opera, that's my favorite Maiden song.

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Yep.

I believe they've said that it was certain that all the in-game Blitz songs will 'export'.

(Export in quotes because I think the process is described as a two-stage download. You get the base game, and then you can, through the game, download the songs and those will be stored in the RB3 directory.

Some have already complained about 'double dipping' since the base game will also have a couple of the songs for the purpose of the demo [but they obviously won't be playable in RB3], but it was acknowledged by henry that there just isn't anything they could do about that.)

Oh, that's how it's going to work? The demo version of Blitz just has the two songs, then the rest come in as basically buying DLC to make it the full version?

Up to this point I assumed downloading the game probably just sent it (and the song data) to the RB3 directory.

• Options
    Maybe, but I don't know if XBL or PSN has that ability. I figure it would work more like Pro upgrades do: you can only access the download by having the game first.

And it's not the rest of the songs, it's all of the songs. The demo will have a couple of them and they will then 'take up more space' with the full song download.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Maybe, but I don't know if XBL or PSN has that ability. I figure it would work more like Pro upgrades do: you can only access the download by having the game first.

And it's not the rest of the songs, it's all of the songs. The demo will have a couple of them and they will then 'take up more space' with the full song download.

Ah, yeah. MS probably wouldn't have a problem with it due to them already doing it with Halo Anniversary.

Halo Anniversary came with the ability to play Halo: Reach on the Anniversary Map Pack maps only. But it also included a code for the maps to play in Halo: Reach with everything else. So if you install Anniversary and download the maps for Reach, you have the data on your HDD twice (once as part of the H:CEA install, once again as the DLC pack). I guess there'd be no real way of RB3 reading songs inside of the Blitz executable bundle.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    By the way, I'm not really going to get into this, but somehow this came up in the prediction thread.
    if only Harmonix would acquire the rights to all the GH songs and make them importable to RB3 it would make things so much better and so much easier.

and before some of the "usuals" jump out saying it's not possible, different DLC structure, blah-blah. trust me, it's possible. the biggest hurdle would be the legal process, nothing else.

'All they have to do is...'

Just, wow. Pipe dreams are great and all, but when you wake up, reality has to matter.

Well, he's right. It is possible. He's wrong saying the legal process is the biggest hurdle, but it's totally possible! It'd also be a lot less hassle and bother to re-license all the songs that were in Guitar Hero and chart them anew specifically for Rock Band 3. But then, of course, you'd get complaints that the charts weren't as good as GH.

There is still a difference between 'possible' and 'feasible'. GH introduced the open note on bass. And their slide notes, too. The drums are probably coded into the song for 4-pad and 5-pad.

But at the end of the day, you're looking at a title update (Fuck you, Wii!) just so that Rock Band knows to look in the proper directories for songs and that whatever format they're saved in is then readable within Rock Band itself. Along with any translation that needs to happen for people along the way (Would it switch drums automatically to 4-pad or would it keep it 5-pad just for people who are using GH drums? [And would you want to play a set list containing 4-pad, 5-pad, and Pro songs?])

And then there is the legal process. Every single GH song was licensed for use in GH games. Why didn't we get those five songs from RB2? Because they were only licensed for RB2. The same for every song that is no longer playable in RB3. Sure, from the fan's view, it's easy. But at that point, you might as well start arguing to see Halo maps in Gears of War or something. GH and RB songs being so similar doesn't automatically make them compatible.

Might as well argue that all HMX needs to do is give The Beatles more money and POOF! more BRB DLC. Things are simply never that simple.

I was being facetious about it, of course, but you expanded upon it very well. Thank you.

• Options
    I'd probably put a small bet down that the guy who thinks it's a good and workable idea also things that HMX is screwing the fan base by 'releasing songs that are already out there'.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I'd probably put a small bet down that the guy who thinks it's a good and workable idea also things that HMX is screwing the fan base by 'releasing songs that are already out there'.

I'm imagining a fifty-something bearded and bespectacled man who hasn't replaced any of his vinyl records or cassette tapes of bands he grew up listening to. This is the sort of person who makes that kind of statement.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Nah. Most of the active posters are early twenties. The sort that think they know about music history because they found their dad's old records. Generally, the sorts who seem to be most against repeats and such are the ones who only want more 'classic' meh. So Paramore just had a week? They already had a week a few years ago! And anyway, all this modern crap is just ruining the game. Blahblahblah.

This week is pretty popular with those who mostly post just to say that haven't bought anything in forever. What I'd look forward to is the complaints that HMX is only giving them three songs in a week or two.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Gonna have to check out those charts in full

I respect Iron Maiden from a musical standpoint but I really hate the vocals

• Options
    I know, Santa. I'm just describing the mental image that crops up when I hear that sort of thing. It's amusing and all.

You know, we should rock out one of these days, it's been a while.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Argh PS3/PSN bug

Remind me to punch my little brother for convincing me to pick up a PS3 versus a 360 so we could play together, a thing that has not happened once.

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    Yeah, that happened to me twice when trying to play online. It sucked.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    I know, Santa. I'm just describing the mental image that crops up when I hear that sort of thing. It's amusing and all.

Yeah, too long. Pick a day and we'll see.

• Options

Yeah, too long. Pick a day and we'll see.

Never mind.

• Options
    Okay, some of you know I've been a bit of a vagabond recently. And that's going to continue now that I'm heading East to Dallas. Don't know when I'll be back online, but that's how it goes since I'm not going to end up in a 'gamer' environment. Hopefully soon.

Hey. Maybe while I'm disconnected, HMX will release something really freaking awesome that only I'd like. That'll happen, right?

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Or send out a press release going "No, we hate the PS3. Always have. Seriously."

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    Well, it was good having you here Santa. I'll miss the company! I hope you get back online soon.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    best of luck santa! take care!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    The place I'm saying has a common room. So I'll be able to check in occasionally. Mostly it'll be for finding a job, though.

We'll see. I only wish I could set up my 360.

So I spend twelve hours driving and nothing fun happens? What a waste.

• Options
    Sorry, I deleted the Pink Floyd announcement off the internet.

Yes, all the internets.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    We worried Santa.

Didn't want you to become the next Ricky Valance or Stevie Ray Vauhn.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    See?

That's how much I worried. I double posted.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Verdict on the new Maiden:

It's awesome.

Did a guitar run through of all 5 tracks and had a blast. Warming up the pipes to hit vocals next. Although I'll probably skip vocals on Phantom, due to me not liking the delivery or lyrics too much.

And if I can get enough beer in me to dull the pain in my ankle, I'll do a quick drumthrough as well.

If anyone else wants to join in on 360 in a little bit (say 30-45 minutes), hit me up. GT is in my sig

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Oh, and I should say that symbolsor is a righteous dude. I highly recommend him.

Oh, and mspencer. But he already knows that.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So Rime has a bass solo? So that's like... song #5 with a bass solo now, I think.

Get on that, @FyreWulff.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    oh shiiiit

watching it now to see if I'll pick it up, I think I have every song with a bass solo so far.

edit: yup, turned on my Xbox about 50% way through the solo to go buy the song :lol:

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    oh shiiiit

watching it now to see if I'll pick it up, I think I have every song with a bass solo so far.

Rime is 13 minutes of fun.

Granted there is a fairly long section between half-2/3'ds through that's kinda repetitive on all instruments (especially drums, one long ass cymbal roll), but the rest of the song is bad-ass.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, that's definitely a bassist's song. can't wait to play it later tonight

edit: it's also another Pro Bass song with a solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1oNpJa5cWs

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    I will be on later tonight as well, send an invite when you're ready to throw down on bass and I'll lend you my guitar/drums or vocals.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    That is a hell of a song, don't know about the rest of the pack though.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I will be on later tonight as well, send an invite when you're ready to throw down on bass and I'll lend you my guitar/drums or vocals.

Up for doing this tonight? I had to go to sleep earlier last night.

edit: just did a practice run.. 449,003 points, 91%, 4 stars

edit2: someone just posted a run on Youtube. They found out 750k on Bass is still not enough for Gold Stars :lol:

FyreWulff on