As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Project Zomboid

• Options
    StarGuardedStarGuarded Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    All of those changes are great and things I've thought "man I wish I could ..." to myself.

StarGuarded on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think the alpha is great, because they are getting a broad range of feedback, and they seem to be making lots of small changes really quickly.

LewieP on
  • Options
    StarGuardedStarGuarded Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    oh holy crap. I hit enter while sleeping during the tutorial and I accidentally slept for like three months because it multiplied the sleeping timeskip or something. when I completed the tutorial, like a MILLION zombies spawned. they tore down my barricades immediately and I didn't last long once I ran out of shotgun ammo and exerted myself with the spiked baseball bat.

StarGuarded on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    27) Random buildings / doors will be locked and only openable from the inside. Fire axe and shotgun can attack doors. (Well everything can but most are ineffectual)

That'll be interesting. Far too often I find myself falling into a routine of where I go when I start a new game. Will be lessened as the gameworld is expanded I imagine, but this is a cool step.

EDIT: Even more

28) Craftable full-tile barricades made from 2 plank + 2 nails + hammer. Exact #'s still to balance. :)
    29) Smashed doors either by player or by zombie yield some planks to pick up.

Keeps getting more awesome. From what a dev has said on the forums, number 28 will mean being able to barricade any open space. Meaning you can block off stairs, doorless doorways, even make fences (if you have the planks)

Metallikat on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have a question, can the game be played off-line yet? I only ask because power outages (and thus lack of internet) happen a bit more frequently around here than other places and I would like to be able to play this on the laptop in such an event. Or travelling. You know, like playing most games in Steam's offline mode.

If not, I eagerly look forward to when it is, then its a must buy for me to slip in among the rest of the zombie games I enjoy. Until then, I will look forward to it like I do Dead State from DoubleBear.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I have a question, can the game be played off-line yet? I only ask because power outages (and thus lack of internet) happen a bit more frequently around here than other places and I would like to be able to play this on the laptop in such an event. Or travelling. You know, like playing most games in Steam's offline mode.

If not, I eagerly look forward to when it is, then its a must buy for me to slip in among the rest of the zombie games I enjoy. Until then, I will look forward to it like I do Dead State from DoubleBear.

Not officially no, but here's a guide to making an offline version yourself. Of course, this version won't receive updates like the browser version will.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Developer wrote:
    28) Craftable full-tile barricades made from 2 plank + 2 nails + hammer. Exact #'s still to balance. :)

Oooohh, how is this going to work? Will you be able to place them in any empty space? Block off stairs? Put them in empty door frames? Block off entire streets? Can't wait.
    All of those. :)

Edit: That's what I get for not scrolling down to read an edited post.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Developer wrote:

Oooohh, how is this going to work? Will you be able to place them in any empty space? Block off stairs? Put them in empty door frames? Block off entire streets? Can't wait.
    All of those. :)

Edit: That's what I get for not scrolling down to read an edited post.

Don't feel bad. It's awesome enough to deserve being posted twice.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    ElkoVituciElkoVituci Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Looks cool enough , I can't believe I'm thinking in buying a game that looks like "this" :lol:

ElkoVituci on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    New patch is released!

Full Patch Notes:

Build 0.1.4a

This has been deployed. May take 10 minutes or so to distribute to your corner of the world.

Note, this is just main features there will be numerous fixes not mentioned here. There may be new balance issues / bugs due to some of these but hopefully it'll improve a lot more than it causes new problems. ;D

1) N, E, S, W / NE, SE, SW, NW directional control toggle
    2) Inventory grows to fill vertical space of sidebar.
    3) Fixed various bed related bugs. Added option to sleep to avoid accidental clicks, or to inform player why they can't.
    4) Fixed pot dupe bug.
    5) Fixed the death sound screw up. WHEN DID THAT START HAPPENING?
    6) Planks of wood will be useable melee weapons
    7) A few stragglers aside, zombies flock together and slowly migrate around the map in one or more groups, meaning the zombie density around the map will differ massively, and this will change over time. This means that your safe-house may be left alone for some time before suddenly being in the centre of a massive shambling swarm.. This may need some balancing in future updates, but should provide more strategy to avoiding the horde. (Also running nonchalantly down an empty street at night then bumping into a ton of zombies is cool) This makes the opening section easier since you can find areas with low zombie numbers. It also makes it harder since if you happen to have a swarm around your house you're in trouble!
    8) Scratches have only 25% chance of infection, and you will only find out a day or more later when you get queasy if you were infected. Bites are 100%.
    9) You survived for...
    10) Bite / scratch / death sounds.
    11) Uhoh! Something that'll catch people out a fair few times before they adjust their plans slightly. :)
    12) Can barricade with hammer in your offhand. Forgetting to do this if you have wood selected and try and barricade a door, it will fail but NOT open the door to all the zombies you're trying to protect yourself against.
    13) Context sensitive clicking is disabled when CTRL is held.
    14) Beds can only be used when within 'open container/open door' range.
    15) Skipping tutorial will retain the 'safe zone' until you venture out, to make it a way of skipping the tutorial without punishing the player and thus making it a more attractive option. You evil, evil person. :P
    16) Experimental - Raised day length to 20 minutes from 15 now we have fast forward. Have also doubled speed of fast forward (CPU dependent)
    17) Food / pills can be eaten by putting them on the heart icon, in parallel to putting things in inventory.
    18) Couches / sofas can be slept on.
    19) Eating / pill popping no longer clears item from mouse. So eating multiple is just multiple clicks.
    20) Restarting after death. Will skip front end and load the map again immediately. May cause obscure 'second playthrough' bugs from restart we'll have to deal with as they become apparent. May also be pushing it for memory on lower end PCs if the old map hasn't been garbage collected in time.
    21) The heart icon does a little wiggle (like the moodles) when you sustain injuries, as a reminder that you might need to tend to some new ailment.
    22) Mouse hotspot offset removed on Mac until proper cursors are working. Also option in lwjgl cache to disable on PC or re-enable on Mac.
    23) Options file saved in lwjgl cache with game resolution. For those Mac users that need a different res for offline. Will have no effect when played in the browser.
    24) Random buildings / doors will be locked and only openable from the inside. Fire axe can attack doors. (Well everything can but most are ineffectual)
    25) Craftable full-tile barricades made from 2 plank + 2 nails + hammer. Exact #'s still to balance. :)
    26) Smashed doors either by player or by zombie yield some planks to pick up.
    27) Game pause/resume and speed control buttons on the hud.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Upcoming Patch Notes:

1) Added padlock to lock inventory open.
    2) Can remove planks from barricades and reclaim them. They will retain health in between uses.
    3) Various zombie spotting chances changed. A player not moving inside a building will never be seen by a zombie from outside, they just don't have the cognitive ability to pick them out through a window, and higher floors the chances diminish too since they tend to look ahead.
    4) Sounds in buildings are muffled so don't travel as far outside.
    5) Some horde balancing / fixes.
    6) Some aiming tweaks.
    7) Reduced footstep range slightly.
    8) Zombie spotted music will not play if the zombies are miles away or many floors below you.
    9) Made the horde prefer outdoor locations and generally ignore doors without any stimulus from inside. They will on occasion disregard this inclination, to keep you on your toes. After all if a zombie starts thumping he'll attract attention from others.
    10) Bug meaning scratches were 100% infection fixed.
    11) Removed accidentally left in 'debug shotgun shells'.
    12) Something along these lines (WIP):
    WIP.png

Metallikat on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes! This game is getting better by the day!

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So, an auto-updating pirate version of Project Zomboid has forced them to temporarily take the game down.

Read here

Metallikat on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The good news behind this is that we'll get a downloadable version soon. I'm a little disappointed I can't get my Zomboid fix till then, though.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    The good news behind this is that we'll get a downloadable [edit: and update-able] version soon. I'm a little disappointed I can't get my Zomboid fix till then, though.

If that is the outcome, they will have a new customer in me. Oh, for the record, I haven't pirated the game, I have a smattering of patience and a bit of hard experience with pirated software when it came packaged with trojans of various kinds (keyloggers, zombie/botnet stuff and the like) many years ago that I hope I have learned a valuable lesson from. Who knows, I might have that stuff again anyways just from visiting the wrong website for a split second anyways but I know where that malicious stuff came from in the past and its just the stick part anyways, the carrot for me is knowing I support Indy Devs who give me the best gaming experiences these days I find.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SciJoSciJo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I started the game, went and got the sheets, pillow and pills. I bandaged one leg (somehow was unable to bandage the other leg) and gave her the pills. I said I was going to go out to get more supplies and such and decided to give her the pillow before I left.

And smothered her to death.

Off to a roarin' start.

SciJo on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You probably want to edit that post as we aren't allowed to talk about that here.

And the litany of things that have happened to this studio in the process of making this game is just comical. What's next, an Uwe Boll movie?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    They've got the free public demo up via torrent.

Link

Metallikat on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My first run, lived for 1 day 6 hours.
    Got food from house, and had to kill zombies on my way back. Crazy guy with gun comes and starts talking to the zombies and starts shooting them. However before he shoots them he lets a bunch in. I am stuck with my wife, overwhelmed by zombies. It doesn't last much longer then that.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    These guys and like the Job of the indie game industry.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Metallikat wrote: »

Link

The game should be free in general, it's an alpha tech demo. What are these guys thinking?

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    They weren't planning on releasing it yet.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Welp, that was fun.

Got through the tutorial, nice and easy. Claimed a block of flats all to myself. Got my right hand scratched and...

... We'll never know my fate because the thing crashed on me.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    rayofash wrote: »
    Metallikat wrote: »

Link

The game should be free in general, it's an alpha tech demo. What are these guys thinking?

The game was leaked so they went ahead and released it as a tech demo. You pay now you get all the updates as they come.

Kind of similar to what Mount & Blade did I believe.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also Minecraft.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The game looks cool, but from looking at their site and reading about it, it sounds like these guys don't really have their shit together.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Welp, that was fun.

Got through the tutorial, nice and easy. Claimed a block of flats all to myself. Got my right hand scratched and...

There's a tutorial?

Sheep on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Keeping my eye on this regardless.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sheep wrote: »
    Welp, that was fun.

There's a tutorial?

If this isn't sarcasm, it kind of forces you through it every time.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tried the demo for this. Has potential, though the interface is a bit of a mess at this point (to be expected with an alpha). Took me a while to figure out how to eat :P

Sadly, the replay value of this game without any sort of randomization is a bit suspect. It seems like once you've learned "the way to do things", repeating those should be easier. Unless item placement is completely random in the full alpha, in which case that might help a bit.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Welp, that was fun.

There's a tutorial?

If this isn't sarcasm, it kind of forces you through it every time.

Well there is a way to skip it, but only if you are a horrible, horrible person... :?

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Demo is kind of hideous and clunky, but it's still very early so I can't be too harsh.

The planned feature list on the website sounds awesome. The one thing the game is nailing even in its early state is the atmosphere, and the music is excellent. I look forward to watching the game evolve.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Tried the demo for this. Has potential, though the interface is a bit of a mess at this point (to be expected with an alpha). Took me a while to figure out how to eat :P

Sadly, the replay value of this game without any sort of randomization is a bit suspect. It seems like once you've learned "the way to do things", repeating those should be easier. Unless item placement is completely random in the full alpha, in which case that might help a bit.

Item placement is random.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So if this keeps shaping up, it could be a brilliant game. As it is, it's already an entertaining and atmospheric timewaster. I finally lasted longer than a day and a half on my third or fourth try, after deciding to just skip the tutorial because of that damned house invader. I made it just over a week, in fact, which felt all the more since early morning on day two, my guy's leg got permanently mangled, and he spent the rest of the game walking around in a painkiller-and-booze induced haze, trying to stave off the pain and crippling disease.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What's the point of cooking the soup? I let it in the over for like 30 minutes, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone knows how long it's supposed to cook?

EDIT: Can't believe I just wrote that in a thread about a zombie survival game.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Korlash wrote: »
    What's the point of cooking the soup? I let it in the over for like 30 minutes, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone knows how long it's supposed to cook?

I was wondering that, myself. Cooking food doesn't seem to actually do anything. I imagine it's just a feature that they have planned that hasn't been actually put in the game yet.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The soup at the very beginning? It's supposed to just trigger
    the first madman. It causes the radio to go into stoy, and if you go to your wife, you come back downstairs to find a psycho. If you left the stove on your house burns down

Corpekata on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Corpekata wrote: »
    The soup at the very beginning? It's supposed to just trigger
    the first madman. It causes the radio to go into stoy, and if you go to your wife, you come back downstairs to find a psycho. If you left the stove on your house burns down

Right, but I get the idea that the scripted stuff that happens in the tutorial is meant to be an example of the sorts of things they're planning on including in the finished game as just stuff that can happen.
    Cooking food and fires, for example.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Curses, now that the game is a download I can't get it running on my Mac. There's a fix here but apparently I'm too stupid to follow clear instructions.

Faux edit: judging by later pages in that thread I'm not the only one, there's an awful lot of Terminal logs being pasted.

Gutterkisser on
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Now that I finally figured out how to get past the tutorial, I made it 4 days, 21 hours. I died getting greedy trying to bring too much back to my base of operations and ended up exhausting myself while surrounded :(

Peff on
    steam_sig.png