As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Project Zomboid

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I love the changes they've made to zombies. Both their flocking behaviour and the difficulty of killing them. Now even 2 or 3 zombies can become a threat if you don't spot them. Pretty much like it would be in real life.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The dumbest thing is having to avoid getting rained on. I could understanding implementing hypothermia conditions if it's winter and you're getting rained on (even despite heavy clothes), but the "you caught a cold because you were in the rain for 30 minutes" thing has overstayed its welcome. Rain doesn't cause colds in real life.

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I really liked the time I spent with this about six months ago, but I found that once you figured out some of the mechanics the gameplay became way too easy. Never tried the multiplayer, should give it a shake.

Cataclysm: DDA has been my drug of choice for the genre, it's just so much better at killing me.
    The dumbest thing is having to avoid getting rained on. I could understanding implementing hypothermia conditions if it's winter and you're getting rained on (even despite heavy clothes), but the "you caught a cold because you were in the rain for 30 minutes" thing has overstayed its welcome. Rain doesn't cause colds in real life.

Yeah I don't hate the mechanic in theory, but it feels really gimmicky. If your character gets caught out in the rain for a few hours and has nothing but a tshirt and some shorts on, that makes sense. But I've become sick after half an hour outside wearing a sweater AND a rain jacket.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    They add back in NPCs yet? I am waiting for that to give the world a more of a "lived in" feeling.

I really wish the UI was better in this game, I feel like there is a lot of cool stuff once you get over the initial hump of the UI but it's a pretty big barrier to entry initially.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    No NPCs yet. They put out a news post the other day saying that the old system was rotten to the core and I'm inclined to agree with that. Anyway they're overhauling the whole thing from scratch right now, and once they put that in and add vehicles too they'll consider the game out of early access.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I can't see vehicles controlling well with their current setup.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Honestly vehicles could control like ass and I would still be glad for their inclusion. Walking between towns takes forever, as does going into town from the isolated countryside.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Can't believe this game has been in development for over four years... Still holding out for 1.0. How close is it?

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Zek wrote: »
    Can't believe this game has been in development for over four years... Still holding out for 1.0. How close is it?

Heh, I'm not sure how close to 1.0 it is.

I can tell you that as it stands now it is completely engrossing and one of the most legitimately nerve wracking games I've played in recent years.

It holds the record for "Number of Times a Game Has Made Me Jump Out of My Chair".

edit- Mind you this is a isometric game with simple graphics that has made me scream like a little girl an embarrassing number of times. :biggrin:

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    You catch a cold by hanging out with sick people. Being in rain makes you cold.

• Options
    Axen wrote: »

I can tell you that as it stands now it is completely engrossing and one of the most legitimately nerve wracking games I've played in recent years.

It holds the record for "Number of Times a Game Has Made Me Jump Out of My Chair".

edit- Mind you this is a isometric game with simple graphics that has made me scream like a little girl an embarrassing number of times. :biggrin:

I thought I was safe at my isolated forest house when I went to chop some wood and work on my carpentry.

As I walked past the outhouse casually, I realized that in the week I had lived here, I never cleared the outhouse. Turning around revealed a zombie inches from my face.

Panicking, I swung my axe and fortunately it connected. I realized my heart was hammering out of my chest. Not my character's chest, my own.

I've been startled by games before, but never like that. And it was such a real moment, too. It could have been a real scene from any zombie flick, or even could have resulted in a bite and the death of my character. All due to simple carelessness.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

This is one of those games that feels like it has made very little real progress in the past 1.5 years. I imagine there's a lot of little stuff, technical overhauls and whatnot, but the playing experience isn't massively different from back then.

• Options
    One of the best quality of life additions in build 32 is the ability to save character occupations and traits to load for future playthroughs.

But I disagree about the game feeling the same. The little improvements have really added up.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

to be fair, how many times has he had to practically start over from scratch? at least once that I can remember.

• Options
    Oh man, the multiplayer is fantastic fun. They finally implemented the sleep into multi so if one person has an Xbox controller and the other does mouse and keyboard, you can help each other carry things, clear buildings, basically watch each other's back. I highly recommend it.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Oh man, the multiplayer is fantastic fun. They finally implemented the sleep into multi so if one person has an Xbox controller and the other does mouse and keyboard, you can help each other carry things, clear buildings, basically watch each other's back. I highly recommend it.

What? When did they do sleep? That's only for local multiplayer right? Not internet?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    f3rret wrote: »

What? When did they do sleep? That's only for local multiplayer right? Not internet?

I dunno about net play, but on local it's definitely in.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    You catch a cold by hanging out with sick people. Being in rain makes you cold.

I get sick every time I make my 30 minute walk to work in the rain. And that one time I biked in pouring rain for an hour when it was 45 Fahrenheit out I almost died of lupus. Not to mention how many limbs I have lost walking to work in the snow.

Not many people know this, but all of the cavemen went extinct because they died from getting the flu in the rain.

(It's a dumb mechanic and games need to stop doing it. Large numbers of people or livestock and parasites are the main vectors for illnesses to thrive and propagate; temperature fluctuations can make you feel unwell or impair your abilities in extreme situations, but actually getting sick from them has no bearing in reality. ARK follows this same incorrect thought process and it's equally annoying.)

• Options
    Mythbusters should be required material in high school so we can get rid of that kind of trope unless it fulfills rule of cool requirements.

You know what rain should do in this game? Reduce visibility, maybe, if it's a heavy rain. And maybe it should also make it harder to hear zombies over the rain. I would also be fine with staying in the rain for too long making your character unhappy; I know I personally don't like being soaked to the bone. Those are all perfectly valid negative effects the rain can have. But I also think they should add an umbrella to the item list so you don't have to worry about even those things at the expense of one of your hands being unable to equip a weapon/bag.

• Options
    Being able to dry a towel would be nice too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015

You can already do this!

But AFAIK, the towel stays wet (and useless) forever after you use it like that. It'd be nice if it would eventually dry up for use again.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options

You can already do this!

But AFAIK, the towel stays wet (and useless) forever after you use it like that. It'd be nice if it would eventually dry up for use again.

Yup, that's what I meant. It would be nice to be able to dry out a wet towel. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh, I glossed over the absence of the word "with". My bad.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

HOLY CRAP I CAN USE A CONTROLLER NOW

im'a play this tonight

• Options
    I've got a really great run going where I've survived over 2 months. I have rain barrels and am in the process of starting a farm, plus I'm about halfway done constructing a giant wall around everything. I'm dubbing my new home Ft. Kickass, in which zombie authority is not recognized.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Protip: don't go to the mall.

Blind corners everywhere, which makes it very tough to clear by yourself. After the power turns off, you need a flashlight or you won't be able to see jack in there. Holding a flashlight makes your mêlée weapon less effective.

Oh, did I mention the fact that there about 8 billion zombies in it?

I didn't die but I was lucky to get out, and I was loaded for bear. Don't make the same mistake I did. There's a lot of stuff in there but it is not worth the risk.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Well, the controller barely works and stops working completely very frequently. Pretty unusable over all. Guess I'll wait again.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Well, the controller barely works and stops working completely very frequently. Pretty unusable over all. Guess I'll wait again.

That's weird. It works perfectly for me. Are you using a 360 controller?

• Options

That's weird. It works perfectly for me. Are you using a 360 controller?

Yeah. I googled it and it's a problem for several other people too. I'll just wait it out.

Plus you can't use it in the tutorial which is just ridiculous.

• Options
    Did you try enabling the controller in the options menu? You can't just press A when you start the game, you actually have to click the check box first.

If that doesn't work for you or you already tried it I dunno. Wanna come over and play it here? :)

• Options
    Did you try enabling the controller in the options menu? You can't just press A when you start the game, you actually have to click the check box first.

If that doesn't work for you or you already tried it I dunno. Wanna come over and play it here? :)

YES PLEASE

Yeah, I have it enabled and all and sometimes it works and then just stops. The other problem is how the hell to do stuff with it since there's no tutorial and the options menu isn't 100% clear. I never was able to ever take anything out of my backpack or find out what the various status circles meant.

• Options

YES PLEASE

Yeah, I have it enabled and all and sometimes it works and then just stops. The other problem is how the hell to do stuff with it since there's no tutorial and the options menu isn't 100% clear. I never was able to ever take anything out of my backpack or find out what the various status circles meant.

It took some trial and error for me too. You can still use the mouse to hover over the Mooples and see what they mean, but there's no way to do it with just the controller, which is definitely an oversight.

Y opens the backpack, the d-pad navigates. Left bumper selects containers on you, right bumper selects containers nearby you. A opens a context menu for the item you have selected, which allows you to move things around. If you mean unpacking, I think there's a way but I'm at work and can't remember exactly without a controller in hand.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    I dislike the grouping mechanism right now because it seems like every screen-length there is a group of 20 tightly packed zombies, in the suburbs. Every zombie goes into a group, and taking them out seems impossible with that many clustered.

It turns the difficulty up quite a lot.

Also pens, pens and butter knives are the most powerful early weapons. Sure they are disposable but each one can instant kill a solo zombie even with no skill.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I dislike the grouping mechanism right now because it seems like every screen-length there is a group of 20 tightly packed zombies, in the suburbs. Every zombie goes into a group, and taking them out seems impossible with that many clustered.

It turns the difficulty up quite a lot.

Also pens, pens and butter knives are the most powerful early weapons. Sure they are disposable but each one can instant kill a solo zombie even with no skill.

Taking out groups of zombies can be done and relatively easy. Just approach the group carefully, slowly, quietly, until a few of the group notice you, then immediately start backing off so that only that one or two zombies comes after you from the group, get around a corner or something and wait for them with weapon ready. WHAM, there goes one, WHAM, there goes the second and possibly a third. Then repeat the first step of peeling off your next victims from the group.

You are now ready to silently clear out a group of zombies and probably entire blocks.

At least, that's how I did it so I could start making Left 4 Dead safe zones and loot caches all over the place till I could get the walls up between them for safe corridors as I rebuilt society waiting for the arrival of other survivors. :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Leveling stealth is mandatory now, not only for the added option of avoiding large groups but for added ease in peeling off parts of a group without attracting the entire horde.

• Options
    New Mondiod is up. It's a collection of community questions and answers:
    http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2015/08/apzdtisa-5/

I'm the one who asked about floating buildings.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm doing a "metagaming" run (the one I have kept mentioning in here) on my home computer, where I try to pick the best beneficial traits and the least detrimental negative traits.

On my laptop, I'm doing a "roleplaying" run. I decided to roll up a character that's your stereotypical basement-dwelling nerd who is inexplicably confident they would survive the zombie apocalypse. He's obese, he's feeble, he's short-sighted, and he's agoraphobic. But on the plus side, he's got an iron stomach from all the pizza and Mountain Dew, he's dextrous from all the vidja games, he's a decent shot, he can see in the dark really well, and he doesn't need a lot of sleep.

I've survived one day with him, but man, it was rough.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    I'm doing a "metagaming" run (the one I have kept mentioning in here) on my home computer, where I try to pick the best beneficial traits and the least detrimental negative traits.

On my laptop, I'm doing a "roleplaying" run. I decided to roll up a character that's your stereotypical basement-dwelling nerd who is inexplicably confident they would survive the zombie apocalypse. He's obese, he's feeble, he's short-sighted, and he's agoraphobic. But on the plus side, he's got an iron stomach from all the pizza and Mountain Dew, he's dextrous from all the vidja games, he's a decent shot, he can see in the dark really well, and he doesn't need a lot of sleep.

The phobia disadvantages are severe.

Maybe I should do a courage the cowardly dog run with cowardice, agoraphobia and claustrophobia.

You know, once I stop being eaten in the first hour.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited August 2015

The phobia disadvantages are severe.

Maybe I should do a courage the cowardly dog run with cowardice, agoraphobia and claustrophobia.

You know, once I stop being eaten in the first hour.

Actually, agoraphobia/claustrophobia and adrenaline junkie go very well together.

Vehicles are not technically in the game, but you won't need any if you take fitness traits (Fitness Instructor/Athlete) and do an adrenaline junkie build. You'll be zooming around the map like nobody's business.

Throw Cowardly on for free points.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

Glad you pointed out you were going to for a stereotype, but really, how true is that stereotype anymore now that "nerd" is mainstream? Now that being a "nerd" can be chalked up in some social "pro" (as in pros and cons) due to higher income, shared interests, intelligent, knowledgable, caring, crafty, inventive, creative, accepting and thus an attractive trait for prospective mates for that and more, nerds are more confident than ever that they could survive a fictional zombieland. Yours is more a stereotype of the 80s and 90s, the new millennium has given way to a different stereotype...

How would the new millennial nerd stack up against your older stereotype I wonder...

steam_sig.png