As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Home Ownership Fucking Sucks

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Berk wrote: »
    where my yaks at

yo what do you need

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    Kadith wrote: »
    Ah the advantages of being poor and having to fix everything yourself

it's so much cheaper

Honestly, the labor is only like 10 to 20%, it's the new equipment plus the proper disposal of the old equipment that's the big part of the cost. Also, I can do things like fix a seal in the toilet, put in a new garbage disposal, fix drywall, and other minor to medium repairs. I do not want to fuck with HVAC. That's out of my league.

why don't you fuck a bunson burner or what ever it is you do at work about it

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fucking a bunson burner would hurt.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    These reno's were supposed to happen a few years ago; at least that was the plan when we first moved in.

But then we discovered, about 6 months after we moved in that the 50-year-old tree in the front yard had got it's roots into the 80-year-old main sewer line from the house.
    Cost to remove tree: $1500
    Cost to replace old ceramic sewer line with modern PVC: $7000

The next year, we set aside to do the heating and insulation. In theory, the expense will pay for itself in 10-15 years. Hooray.

Of course, that was also the year that the Water header tank exploded, and for some god-fool reason the overflow pipe was two pipes welded together... poorly. I awoke Easter weekend to discover my ceiling damp, my wallpaper peeling and a large puddle on the ground.
    That was only a few hundred dollars to fix, but the damage was too pervasive to fix entirely.

One of the main cost overruns in the renovation was the piles under the house. Apparently there was a floating platform completely unconnected to any other part of the foundation, and the cross beams themselves were arranged in an archaic - and now poorly-regarded - way, particularly for an earthquake zone. The cost of new piles and reinforcing the foundations and attaching the floating section to the rest of the house (which was kinda important, because it was drifting away) took a week, and probably added $5000 to the cost.

So yeah, now the bank owes even more of my ass than it did at the start of the year.

That said; damn, do I love my new kitchen/bathroom/living area.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

it's so much cheaper

Honestly, the labor is only like 10 to 20%, it's the new equipment plus the proper disposal of the old equipment that's the big part of the cost. Also, I can do things like fix a seal in the toilet, put in a new garbage disposal, fix drywall, and other minor to medium repairs. I do not want to fuck with HVAC. That's out of my league.

why don't you fuck a bunson burner or what ever it is you do at work about it

I'll have you know I masturbate an Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometer at work and ejaculate solutions into the thing to do trace elemental analysis. Then I tickle it's ass.

Hunter on
  • Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Berk wrote: »
    where my yaks at

yo what do you need

yak smack

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A double post with an add-on. Nice.

Goose! on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

it's so much cheaper

well there's your problem

run everything into the ground

then find a broken one that has the part you need in usable condition

repeat ery day

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    homownersayswhat

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    first world problems thread

I moved into a new place last month, I am still getting the old tenants mail. I have received an issue of Rolling Stone and Cosmo, I was incredibly dissatisfied with both of them.

On a serious note, one of our bathroom doors stuck when we moved in because they had just repainted it. My roommate got trapped in the bathroom for an hour that first night before I checked my phone and saw he needed help. Maintenance had to plane it down, took all the paint off the side of it, it was a mess.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I bought a place with my 2 brothers, it was going swimmingly until my big brother and his fiancée decided that they wanted out :/ paying them out their 50k as well as keeping up with repayments wasn't fun.

Luckily, we had my dad, who lent us the money to pay him out which makes me so fucking lucky to have a parent who can bail us out like that.

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Blendtec wrote: »

I moved into a new place last month, I am still getting the old tenants mail. I have received an issue of Rolling Stone and Cosmo, I was incredibly dissatisfied with both of them.

On a serious note, one of our bathroom doors stuck when we moved in because they had just repainted it. My roommate got trapped in the bathroom for an hour that first night before I checked my phone and saw he needed help. Maintenance had to plane it down, took all the paint off the side of it, it was a mess.

I would've kicked open the door after 5 minutes

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i can't wait to own property

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just found a leak in the roof during our last rainstorm.

Good bye thousands of dollars.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    edited June 2011

It opened in with very little room to get leverage on it, and he's a fairly weak guy. I think it's cause he drinks and smokes and only eats vegetables, but what do I know.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

It opened in with very little room to get leverage on it, and he's a fairly weak guy. I think it's cause he drinks and smokes and only eats vegetables, but what do I know.

Did he try using his dick?

Stick in a gap, get a little hard

bam door opened

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Did he try using his dick?

Stick in a gap, get a little hard

bam door opened

He's also "weak" in that regard, or so I've heard. A solid suggestion though, I'll keep it in mind for myself.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Hunter

Once when I was about eleven I was in my room when my dad yelled "ANDREW GET DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW!" I was fucking scared because I thought he was going to yell at me, but when I went into the back room he was next to the radiator trying to stop water going everywhere. He'd been draining the air from the system but the water pressure was too high or some shit, and water had just shot out like a hose all over the place.

His next words were "GET A FUCKING CARROT," which I thought was strange, until I realised he wanted me to get a carrot that he could then jam into the hole and stop the water coming out. I ran into the kitchen and saw that there were no carrots, but there were potatoes, which to my eleven year old mind was the next best thing. So I got one and came back in and when I gave it to my dad he looked at me with an expression that said "what the fuck am I supposed to do with this, Son?"

Anyway eventually we carefully placed an oven tray under the spot where the water was landing and let it fill up.

Never heard my dad yell so loud in my life. He told me not to tell mum what had happened, and I was like "sure." Even today though, I remember my Dad looking over his shoulder, wild eyed and covered in water, screaming for me to get a fucking carrot. Which is pretty funny given that my dad is not a big guy and looks exactly like the music teacher he is.

This story is amazing.

I can just imagine your father looking at this "carrot" that you produced.

I have an 11 year old kid who doesn't know what the fuck a carrot is. Just how badly did I fuck up here?

Blake T on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Our apartment complex sends the repairman out the same day.

I would love to own... although it's highly unlikely. But in the meantime I am appreciating our apartment and its swimming pool and gym

My parents came to visit one year and they returned home to find half their roof had collapsded and the shower had been leaking. That was a fun January for my dad.

Janson on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You know what? Fuck y'all and your property owning bullshit. According to major UK papers I may never own a home now, which I'm not too chuffed about.

Not that there aren't advantages to renting, to be fair I never really wanted my own property in the next 20 years anyway.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Also, we had our faucet break the other day.

Hot water EVERYWHERE. Took several hours and 12 towels to clean up.

Janson on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    man I'm glad I live in the temperate North where air conditioning is unnecessary

hi5 yes

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My grandparents are going to leave me all three homes they own here in their will (they just wanted to buy the house they lived in but the owner also owned the two neighboring houses and would only sell all three so they said fuck it and bought those two and rent them both out now. I currently live in one of those), and my other grandparents are also going to leave me their house in the mountains over in West Virginia. I really don't want them, I'd rather my grandparents stayed alive forever but I don't see that happening and I don't know what I'm going to do with four houses.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I rent with three other guys and one new guy cooks heaps but hasn't grasped the concept of 'if you spill edible substances on kitchen surfaces they need to be cleaned up or house becomes crack den quickly'

Needless to say pest count has gone up since he moved in.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    swamp ass is the least I would pay to not live in hipsterville

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

yeah, cause lord knows I'm so hipster

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    that is exactly what I said and not at all misinterpreted your gay

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    dru/CD, does the temperate north require heating during the colder months though?

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I spray WD40 on squeaky hinges around the house

It makes me feel like a man

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Druhim wrote: »

yeah, cause lord knows I'm so hipster

I'm sure your ass sweats in ways that Pip's ass hasn't even heard of.

Hunter on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    more like broken hipster

am

I

right?

Seriously on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Seriously wrote: »
    more like broken hipster

am

I

right?

ha ha ha an old joke so funny

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't have any power today or tomorrow because I'm an idiot.

My apartment is fucking hot right now. It is at least 10 degrees hotter inside than it is outside and it is like 90 outside.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Seriously wrote: »
    more like broken hipster

am

I

right?

not bad

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    my dad is an electrician

we have a broken bathroom fan

we bought a new fan months ago

he has not installed it yet

until he does, he demands that everyone leaves the bathroom door open while they shower so the steam can get out

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My dad is also an electrician and he does that shit all of the time (not finish projects)

Goose! on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    my brother never turns the fan on when he showers and it's the most annoying thing

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    my dad is a banker and does all the home improvement stuff all the time and quite promptly (including electrical stuff)

plus he could probably beat up your dads

well probably not actually he's getting old

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    if the steam and moisture isn't taken care of, we get mold on the walls and ceiling

ughhhh

Antimatter on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I rent. I have two shittu and inconsiderate housemates. I'm pretty sure one of them doesn't shower and he spends 100s of euros a month on cosplay costumes that he posts pictures of himself wearing on Facebook. The problem is that he's like 300lbs and is trying to cosplay as slim characters.

I've tried multiple times to get them to stop doing the shitty stuff but it lasts for about a month then they just become terrible again so I've given up.

I'll be moving out when the lease is up and either living on my own or with people who can behave like adults and not like fucking children.

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella