As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Welcome to Earth [Mass Effect]

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I wonder who the shadow broker mole was on the normandy

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    the mess sergeant

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Commander Shepard.

You know all those cybernetics they put into her? They've got a few backdoors.

• Options
    He catches whatever falls through the cracks

• Options
    Ha!

...though the cracks

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote:
    Commander Shepard.

You know all those cybernetics they put into her? They've got a few backdoors.

Backdoor Shepard, huh?

• Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    takyris wrote:
    Seriously wrote:
    down with love

Now I'm going to be hearing Ewan McGregor and Rene Zellweger singing that all day. Thanks for that.

Someone else who likes that movie????

thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    takyris wrote:
    Melding wrote:
    can i do like a text adventure?

I'm hardly an authority on hiring, but if you did a text adventure arranged to show off nonlinear dialog, you'd have a shot. Something like Inform 7 with the CYOA addendum. A normal text adventure, maybe not so much -- that could show off your general design skill (can Melding make a fun plot?), but it doesn't show your ability to write nonlinear dialog. And the vast majority of our testing process is to weed out folks who can't write nonlinear dialog. So many folks can write great dialog but then crash and burn on the nonlinear stuff. Either they write something horrifically railroady or they write a horrible ever-branching Yggdrasil monster that has 200 lines despite the fact that all you needed to say was, "I need help finding my son who is lost in the woods."

I've said it before elsewhere, but getting a job as a BioWare writer boils down to three things:

1) Show that you can write nonlinear dialog.
    2) Show that you like (or at least respect) our games, and have enough insight into the genre that when someone says, "What if we do it like the Starmaps in KotOR?", the room doesn't have to stop and explain to you that they mean "Go to several different areas and complete a major mission that then ends in an incremental step toward achieving the critpath goal with a plausible logical reason."
    3) Show that you can write on demand -- that your excellent writing doesn't depend on your muse or you being in the right mood.

You do those three things, you've got a shot.

What if I want a job as an editor?

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    Framling wrote:
    What if I want a job as an editor?

It's harder. We have a lot of regular editing applicants from the local area, while our writers tend to come from all over the world. You'd need to show that you have extensive editing experience and are comfortable managing information -- our editors are one part copyeditor and one part organizational manager (handling things like knowing the location of all the non-VO text in the game, dealing with the manual and the stratguide, and so on).

Not impossible, though.
    Jordyn wrote:
    takyris wrote:
    Seriously wrote:
    down with love

Now I'm going to be hearing Ewan McGregor and Rene Zellweger singing that all day. Thanks for that.

Someone else who likes that movie????

It probably helped that I liked all the original movies that they were parodying/homaging-to from that time period, or the clever mix of 50's culture and radically inappropriate double entendre that would have have snuck into an actual movie of that time.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I go away for a weekend and this thread jumps from page 73 to page 97.

What did I miss?

Bioware is hiring writers is all I've gleaned so far and that's just because all the blood rushed downward to aide in boner production.

• Options
    I heard they need a VA for one mission where Mordin ingests helium (Helium affects Salarians the other way)

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Seriously wrote:
    I heard they need a VA for one mission where Mordin ingests helium (Helium affects Salarians the other way)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7PGKcikaGY

?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote:

God, if only.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    takyris wrote:
    It probably helped that I liked all the original movies that they were parodying/homaging-to from that time period, or the clever mix of 50's culture and radically inappropriate double entendre that would have have snuck into an actual movie of that time.

Huh. Maybe I should see that movie, then.

As far as stealth double entendre goes, though, nothing beats the films of the late 30s - early 40s.
    Freddie: [referring to the baby] Where did it come from?
    Polly: I got it for Christmas!
    [beat]
    Freddie: This Christmas or last Christmas?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Yay, I got the asari and turian ally cheevos. That feels pretty great.

Hey, what's the level cap for hardcore on me1, anyway? I forget.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Yay, I got the asari and turian ally cheevos. That feels pretty great.

Hey, what's the level cap for hardcore on me1, anyway? I forget.

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    I never could hit the level cap in ME1. I did everything I could find once and still only hit somewhere in the mid 50s.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I never could hit the level cap in ME1. I did everything I could find once and still only hit somewhere in the mid 50s.

The only way to do it is to import a previously leveled character. It's kind of an annoyance since you have to play the same class, but at least you get the highest level gear and can annihilate everything easily.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote:

The only way to do it is to import a previously leveled character. It's kind of an annoyance since you have to play the same class, but at least you get the highest level gear and can annihilate everything easily.

Worse, I think even 2 playthroughs will leave you just shy of level 60. :)

• Options
    You can annihilate everything easily anyways.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Orca wrote:
    Cambiata wrote:

Worse, I think even 2 playthroughs will leave you just shy of level 60. :)

Well all my second playthrough started at level 53 or so and I got to level 60 with no problems, but I can see missing the mark if you start below level 50. Getting from level 59 to 60 just requires too much xp.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Yeah, it was almost as bad as...well, no, it wasn't quite as bad as going from 59->60 in vanilla WoW.

That was the longest I don't know how many hours of grinding I ever experienced.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Well, I just hit 49, and I'm still mopping up a bunch of side missions before hitting virmire. I think it's been helping that decided to get out of the mako and fight juggernaughts and armatures and most turrets head on, since around level 30 or so. There's just such a massive xp increase for defeating that shit, I've been burning through the levels like nothing.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i believe if it's the character's first run through you are capped at 50. but i could be wrong.

• Options
    I think you're right, though perhaps more to point of if it is your accounts first run, cap is 50.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    you have to have one character beat the game to allow anyone to advance past sixty

that's how it worked for mine, anyway

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    best way to get exp in ME1 is to take every planetside enemy out on foot, NOT in the Mako.

i'd whittle down the health of a thresher maw to almost nothing in the Mako, pop out, hit them with an explosive sniper round, and reap a ton of exp :P

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    finished Lair of the Shadow Broker

I wasn't romantically involved with Liara in the first game and I'm playing default maleshep, and that ending bit in the cabin slew me. They hug, say goodbye, then Shepherd just sits on his bed, and for the first time in the totality of both games looking completely lost and utterly sad as he says "come back soon".

Saving the galaxy might make you a badass, but it doesn't leave much time for friends. Made me like the character (my character! which I love!) about a million times more.

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Shepard can't let his captain's mask fall around anyone on the Normandy, so when you see it happen...

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    This last run though I'm trying to be as much of an ass to Ashley as I can. Lead her on and and go with the other. Let her live of course, but still be a dick to her once I get to ME2. And the reason I got this idea? The first time I played the game, I romanced her and didn't really talk to Liara, but I talked to both this time to get the codex open. Wow, Ashley really is a spacist, lol. So screw her, I'll bang the blue one and maybe Miranda again.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Augh, I need to graduate soon, all the good game writing jobs will be gone by the time I get my degree.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    A group from the Kids with Cancer Society came by today to visit our studio. I was running through a level with my level designer, doing a pass on ambients, when they came to the room, so we offered to show the kids our level.

It was pretty cool, except for how they're kids, and I totally forgot until after offering that the level opens with a little creative swearing.

And also, due to a minor scripting bug, they saw the swearing part twice.

BioWare, corrupting Canada's youth!

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    Make a kid-friendly Mass Effect with Toon Shading. You will never have this problem ever again.

4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    It's about time they caught up with the rest of the world Taky, you were doing them a favor.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Thats still a really cool thing to do though.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Taky can you work hoser into the game? It would be the best thing ever.

• Options
    I'm pro-child corruption. You're doing the lord's work, Taky.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Did you get down on one knee, put your hand on a kid's shoulder, and tell them that they are the sole hope of humanity?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    ah yes

"cancer"

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I've had enough of your shit-cunting insinuations.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
This discussion has been closed.