As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Time for a new thread

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Athenor wrote: »
    Milo! Come to me, Milo...

God. Kinect works back when you don't need feedback! Hugging the air is STUPID!

Only transcendent-hippies hug the air.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    V Faction wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Disneyland Kinect is also confirmed so that is one new Kinect game at E3 unless I somehow missed it being announced before.

Ever wonder what it'd be like to hug Mickey Mouse?

Well BAM. There it is.

TKPFp.jpg

I like how the woman in the background of the bottom screen has a "someone should call the cops" look on her face. "There's a pedophile in a Mickey Mouse costume trying to hug little girls."

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »

Weren't we promised that the lag had been fixed, or at least reduced in Kinect games?

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Incompetent developers, like stupid reptiles, find a way.

Couscous on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    For quite a while, I've thought that Kinect will be an interesting technology, next gen, when presumably MS will be over this whole "you are the controller" deal and include a split controller that can be used at the same time as Kinect.

Otherwise I just don't see how there can be many even decent games that are not dancing or exercise related.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    For quite a while, I've thought that Kinect will be an interesting technology, next gen, when presumably MS will be over this whole "you are the controller" deal and include a split controller that can be used at the same time as Kinect.

Otherwise I just don't see how there can be many even decent games that are not dancing or exercise related.

It gives you less control and options, and can often make things more imprecise, longer, and frustrating than they need to be (such as interfaces). Kincet games are largely on-rail experiences. The best we'll probably see are controller-based games utilizing Kinect for actions like throwing grenades or TrackIR-like features, which I'm completely fine with. Of course, it would still be easier, faster, and more precise to just push a button. The exercising and sport and dancing games have their place, but I don't want to and can't see Kinect taking the place of an actual controller for the system's larger library.

It's enticing because we all want that virtual reality experience. We want to "get into the game". But virtual reality is kind of a pain in the ass.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    War of the Worlds
    This game was described as an homage to old rotoscoped evasion-based platformers like Out Of This World and Flashback. I’m always game for an alien invasion, but this is the part that really caught my attention.

At the studio, I sat down with Other Ocean’s head of development Mike Mika. He gave me the rundown of his career history, as well as that of Other Ocean. Other Ocean’s most recent work includes the Xbox Live Arcade version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Dark Void Zero, and all the iOS incarnations of Super Monkey Ball. If that’s not recent enough for you, they were also the guys behind that ridiculous Bulletstorm promotional game, The Duty Calls: The Calm Before The Storm. As much as I wasn’t feeling Bulletstorm, I’ve gotta admit that was really well done.

Mike compared the studio to The A-Team, in the sense that they’re a group of industry veterans who have no problem tackling really weird projects. Most of their work up until this point has been been tied in with larger releases, or updates of older games for current platforms. With The War of the Worlds, though, they basically made some phone calls and said “we want to make this game.”

HG Wells’ novel The War of The Worlds was first published in 1898, and has seen a number of adaptations, including the 2005 Spielberg film where Dakota Fanning is annoying, and Orson Welles’ notorious 1938 radio drama. The videogame, however, is based on the original novel with some inspiration drawn from the 1953 movie. If, for some reason, you’re unfamiliar with the plot, it’s pretty straightforward: Martians land on earth and start killing people.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Dashui wrote: »

It gives you less control and options, and can often make things more imprecise, longer, and frustrating than they need to be (such as interfaces). Kincet games are largely on-rail experiences. The best we'll probably see are controller-based games utilizing Kinect for actions like throwing grenades or TrackIR-like features, which I'm completely fine with. Of course, it would still be easier, faster, and more precise to just push a button. The exercising and sport and dancing games have their place, but I don't want to and can't see Kinect taking the place of an actual controller for the system's larger library.

It's enticing because we all want that virtual reality experience. We want to "get into the game". But virtual reality is kind of a pain in the ass.
    Unless you can afford to spend millions of dollars like the military.
    http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/27/us-army-spending-57-million-on-military-simulator-using-cryengine-3/

Couscous on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So apparently Team Bondi/Rockstar are being enormous assholes and not crediting a lot of people that worked on LA Noire:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/05/developers-claim-to-be-uncredited-for-la-noire-work/
    For the past seven years, Team Bondi and Rockstar Games have been toiling away on LA Noire -- an effort that, at least from a critical standpoint so far, has been totally worth it. But some developers who supposedly had a hand in solving the case of how to launch a game have gone uncredited and taken to the internet for justice by ... launching a website and Facebook page.

T.K. Rose, an alias of one such member (why hide your name?) of the group looking for recognition, told Destructoid that unless individuals were involved during "the final month or two of production" were left out of the game's credits, affecting about 100 individuals who apparently worked on the game. "A significant portion of these people did not leave Team Bondi by choice," Rose detailed, "they were made redundant as the art production wound down, and as Quality Assurance was shifted off-shore to Rockstar's studios."

Rockstar has yet to comment on the claims of these individuals. We've reached out for comment and will update accordingly.

And here's the website with the full credits that's mentioned:
    http://lanoirecredits.com/

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yup, one of my mates is one of the uncredited animators. Basically, it looks like everyone who wasn't at Team Bondi when the game was finished was not included, despite many people spending years there before moving on to other jobs (or being let go when some of the work was outsourced to Rockstar for QA, etc).

Having a bit of an idea of the culture at Team Bondi, my bet is this is 100% their fault.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There's really only one thing to say to that story.

If it's true, that's not very cool at all. I wonder what kind of compensation would be in place.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I never got why no group has created standardized credit rules for games. Don't they have that shit for movies?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I never got why no group has created standardized credit rules for games. Don't they have that shit for movies?

I've heard some crazy shit regarding writing credit for films. I don't think that 'credit rules' is a thing though, so much as, "I worked on this, you didn't give me credit, so here's my lawyer to tell you what you're going to do to make it better."

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    http://kotaku.com/5808775/here-are-microsofts-e3-games
    Avatar for Brian Ashcraft Brian Ashcraft — This week, the E3 gaming expo gets underway in Los Angeles. Gaming's heavyweights are showing off new hardware and new games. According to an insider, here's the list of titles Microsoft will be showing:

Tomb Raider
    Forza 4
    Star Wars Kinect
    Gears of War 3
    A Halo related title
    Codename Kingdoms
    Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster
    The Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim
    Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor
    Alan Wake: Night Springs (Kinect compatible)
    XCOM
    Hitman: Absolution
    Modern Warfare 3
    Spelunky HD
    Ghost Recon rail shooter for Kinect
    Dance Central 2
    Kinect FunLabs XCommerce
    Kinect Sports: Season 2
    Toy Soldiers: Cold War
    Fable: The Journey
    Raving Rabbids for Kinect
    An Unspecified Double Fine game
    Hybrid (XBLA shooter)
    Roller Coaster Kinect
    Rise of Nightmares for Kinect.
    This was also posted in the E3 thread, but I thought it was relevant hear. IF true, it suggests a lack of imagination on the part of many Kinect developers from the looks of it like that Ghost Recon rail shooter.

Couscous on
  • Options
    knightblade87knightblade87 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    so the kinect is getting a spin off game that is a on-rail shooter? clearing it eating away the wii's games market!

knightblade87 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Henroid wrote: »

I've heard some crazy shit regarding writing credit for films. I don't think that 'credit rules' is a thing though, so much as, "I worked on this, you didn't give me credit, so here's my lawyer to tell you what you're going to do to make it better."
    It depends on the guild and shit that can be kind of complicated. For example, here is how the writers' guild's credit system works.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGA_screenwriting_credit_system

Couscous on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    using the Writer's Guild as an example of how film accreditation works is a bad call. The Writer's Guild is notoriously fickle/fucked-up when it comes to who gets credited for what, and why.

For most every other job on a film, technical or otherwise, it's pretty basic: If you worked in a department of the film, and you collected a check while you were there? Your name goes in the credits. I think the only people this doesn't apply to are extras.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This was also posted in the E3 thread, but I thought it was relevant hear. IF true, it suggests a lack of imagination on the part of many Kinect developers from the looks of it like that Ghost Recon rail shooter.

So, one example with no further details provided from a Kotaku rumour 'suggests a lack of imagination on the part of many Kinect developers'.

o_O

Given the 360 has fuck-all rail shooters I don't even see why this wouldn't be a good idea!

Despite the fact, even as a Kinect owner, I'd rather see a decent lightgun released for 360 instead, I'd still wait to see at least a single fucking screenshot before dismissing the title with such a blanket statement.

But hey, another Kinect hate post to add to the train, and it's only breakfast! Choo-choo! :rotate:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't think lightguns work on modern televisions.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    I don't think lightguns work on modern televisions.

Really? Weird. This might be a decent excuse to dig out the Dreamcast and give HotD2 a try!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, new TVs display the images differently, and thus the tricks lightguns used to determine where they pointed no longer works. Hence why Time Crisis for PS3 came with wii-like sensors for the gun to detect.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Didn't know that, cheers.

So, in the last thread a few of us had a wee chat about how DD / DLC might be teh awesomesauce / teh eeevul. Some folks suggested it might be nice to have Microtransation donations to charity.

Well, as of a few days ago, some showed up on the Marketplace!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Save-Japan-Support-Kids-Charity-Gamer-Pic/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258580872
    Each pack contains 7 charity Gamer Pictures in support of the children who suffered from the 2011.3.11 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami in Japan. As the purpose is charitable, please note that they are offered at 5 different prices even though they are all the same icon designs. All revenue from sales of this Gamer Picture pack will be donated to "Project-YUI", which supports young victims of the disaster. Project-YUI (http://project-yui.org/?page_id=483) is a joint initiative between the public and private sectors to provide long-term support for the children who suffered disasters in aspects of both study and play, all donations will be used to pay for goods for both study and play as well as for sending in volunteer workers to support them. Microsoft Japan participates in Project-YUI as a sponsor corporation. Purchase price refunds will not be made. For more detail, visit www.xbox.com/live/accounts

You can choose to donate either 80, 320, 800, 1200 or 2000 funbux for the same set of gamerpics.

Here's hoping they sell well.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    While it's great that they're doing it in the first place, it's hardly the first time it's happened. Back in march Valve offered a TF2 hat and Sony offered a PS3 dynamic theme for earthquake donations.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I... know? Was applicable to that recent discussion. Meant to post it a few days ago. Can't see a reason not to post it. Was about to post this too:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-06-red-cross-thanks-playstation-users
    The British Red Cross has thanked PlayStation users for their "amazing contribution" to the Japanese earthquake appeal, which has raised a total of £466,465.60.

In a statement, republished on the Euro PlayStation blog, the organisation said the money would help over a quarter of a million of those worst affected by the earthquake and subsequent tsunami.

Specifically, the Japanese Red Cross will provide cash grants "to victims who have lost immediate family members; families whose homes were destroyed by the earthquake, tsunami or resulting fires; families whose homes were severely damaged; and households who have been required to evacuate".

Sony gave PSN users the opportunity to make a donation in the aftermath of the earthquake, which struck on 11th March.

As the Red Cross notes: "More than 13,000 people have been confirmed dead so far and 14,000 are still missing or unaccounted for".

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

So, one example with no further details provided from a Kotaku rumour 'suggests a lack of imagination on the part of many Kinect developers'.

o_O

Given the 360 has fuck-all rail shooters I don't even see why this wouldn't be a good idea!

Despite the fact, even as a Kinect owner, I'd rather see a decent lightgun released for 360 instead, I'd still wait to see at least a single fucking screenshot before dismissing the title with such a blanket statement.

But hey, another Kinect hate post to add to the train, and it's only breakfast! Choo-choo! :rotate:

Dude, chill. Some people do not like Kinect because they do not enjoy the games released for it. They also feel that many of the types of games released for it are unimaginative and similar to already existing Wii games. And guess what? They are allowed to feel this way. There is no point raging at someone for their opinion. How about instead of ranting, you just state what you think, compare it to what they said then move on.

Also the more you rage the less fucks will be given and people will be more willing to disregard you in the future because they see you as a 360 fanboy.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I... know? Was applicable to that recent discussion. Meant to post it a few days ago. Can't see a reason not to post it. Was about to post this too:

Just sounded like you were highlighting it as if it were something completely new, when the previous two examples were all you really needed to prove your point.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Any numbers of the worldwide donation amount (for the PSN Aid Japan Red Cross fund)?

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Avicus wrote: »

o_O

Dude, chill. Some people do not like Kinect because they do not enjoy the games released for it. They also feel that many of the types of games released for it are unimaginative and similar to already existing Wii games. And guess what? They are allowed to feel this way. There is no point raging at someone for their opinion. How about instead of ranting, you just state what you think, compare it to what they said then move on.

Also the more you rage the less fucks will be given and people will be more willing to disregard you in the future because they see you as a 360 fanboy.

Who's ranting? I'd just expect a little more logic to be applied before using a blanket statement based on little-to-no evidence about a rumour to the name of one alleged title in development.

It's the same as saying "Kotaku says there's going to be a Mario game at launch on the Cafe? Well this suggests Nintendo obviously lack imagination and are clearly bankrupt for new ideas. Not to mention all third parties are probably fucked for launch, so they will soon abandon the platform as they have before."

It's an overreaction to a sniff of not-really information, ignoring evidence to the contrary.

Just sounded like you were highlighting it as if it were something completely new, when the previous two examples were all you really needed to prove your point.

No, that's something you inferred before I linked to the PSN donation update. Although, it is something completely new (although a few days old now :P) since the other two examples were already specifically mentioned in the other thread. This is another example on a different console. So that's three platforms you can directly donate to charity now. Previously, you didn't have the option on 360. Has the Wii got something similar yet? Surprised it took this long on 360, tbh.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Any numbers of the worldwide donation amount (for the PSN Aid Japan Red Cross fund)?

Those numbers in the Eurogamer article are just for Europe (accrding to the EU Playstation blog).

Don't know any numbers for other regions, sadly.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Hey man, not everyone can be as brilliant as Nintendo and Take2. Wii Music and Carnival Games are just too innovative for this generation.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, I remember someone (CloudEagle?) who was not happy with the amount (or lack of) pain Lara appeared to be experiencing in that Tomb Raider image whilst she bandaged herself.

Did you watch the trailer? ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?! :P

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm just hyped I don't have to take my kids to the actual Disney Land anymore.

Allforce on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/06/nintendo-servers-attacked-no-customer-info-stolen/
    Nintendo admitted Sunday that its US-based servers were attacked several weeks ago by hackers, but that no customer data was taken. "The server contained no consumer information. The protection of our customer information is our utmost priority," Nintendo of America told Reuters.

Lulzsec, the same group that took responsibility for the recent Sony Pictures incursion, said it had hacked Nintendo but took one file and "didn't mean any harm."

I love how Nintendo took the opportunity to jab Sony there :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    There's really only one thing to say to that story.

If it's true, that's not very cool at all. I wonder what kind of compensation would be in place.

This is basically standard practice in the games industry. In the end, it depends on who is responsible for double checking the credits list and how big of a prick they want to be.

The only way it matters is for people who believe they need the proof that they worked on it. And even then, it only matters if the company bothers to include any names in the game/booklet. Many Japanese games have barely any localisation credits in spite of the sometimes sizable number of people who worked on it in the US/not-Japan.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Reminds me when a bunch of guys walked out of 3D Realms right in the middle of developing the Duke Nukem 3D expansion pack, so the 3D Realms guys left them out of the credits at the end, even though according to one of the guys who left, they used one of his levels, completely unmodified (Except for one room at the end.)

I always went back on forth on who I thought was in the right on that one. But now that 3D Realms is dead and Ritual is trapped making casual games, I guess there's not really a point in having a horse in that race.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    So, I remember someone (CloudEagle?) who was not happy with the amount (or lack of) pain Lara appeared to be experiencing in that Tomb Raider image whilst she bandaged herself.

Did you watch the trailer? ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?! :P

Because I'm a masochist, I'll ask if there's a link to that trailer.

Meanwhile, what's Will Wright up to? This, uh, thing...
    Will Wright has shed some light on one of the secret projects he mentioned during a keynote at last year's GDC, revealing he's working on a new game based on a story by sci-fi novelist Bruce Sterling.

Wright – who was speaking at BAFTA's first ever A Life in Pixels event showcasing his work – explained to Eurogamer that the game takes ideas from the book Maneki Neko, which "describes a karmic computer that's keeping a balance of payments between different people, and causing them to interact with each other in interesting ways to improve their lives even though they're strangers. They earn karmic points that are redeemed by having somebody else help them."

The game is likely to launch on Facebook, tablets and mobile phones and he explained that the method of developing huge games over the course of many years is outdated: "The rate of change is increasing almost exponentially right now, which means I don't think it makes sense to go through even a three or four year development cycle any more. Unless you can get something to market within a year, at least an initial version within a year, you're hosed.

"So that's the new model for development, which has totally changed my thinking. Almost any project I want to work on is going to be something I can at least get some version out there in about a year and then iterate from there."

Wright also revealed that his new studio StupidFunClub – which has already launched a user-generated television show – is working on other games, some of which are designed for home consoles, but didn't give out any further details.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1172886p1.html

I'll be amazed of the karmic thing manages to feel significantly different from all the "you can be good OR evil!" RPGs.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If people got paid for their work using a royalty system, I can get why it would matter. But all work in this business is basically contract work. You're hired to to a job and perform your assigned tasks.

The result is that everybody who contributed should get acknowledgment, but many still don't. As long as they get paid however, they are not deserving of anything more than that. The kind of effort it would take to make the industry do more to recognise and properly attribute people is unlikely to happen any time soon. Unionising isn't highly favoured in general right now. Let alone for an 'inconsequential' industry like video games.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Unless you did a reasonably important part, how do you even realize you're not in the credits? I doubt anybody here actually reads them, nor can I imagine some bloke actually does read every line of the 10+ minute spiel and says "Hey wait a minute, where was my name?".

I'm all for getting credit where it's due. Especially if there are also monetary concerns regarding it. On the other hand, can't say I'd probably care if my name was missing. Because nobody is going to notice, especially me.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Unless you did a reasonably important part, how do you even realize you're not in the credits? I doubt anybody here actually reads them, nor can I imagine some bloke actually does read every line of the 10+ minute spiel and says "Hey wait a minute, where was my name?".

I'm all for getting credit where it's due. Especially if there are also monetary concerns regarding it. On the other hand, can't say I'd probably care if my name was missing. Because nobody is going to notice, especially me.

How can you claim to work on something if you're not credited for it?

You don't think Studio A won't follow up on Potential Employee's claim to have worked on LA Noire if they're not in the official credits?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sheep wrote: »

How can you claim to work on something if you're not credited for it?

You don't think Studio A won't follow up on Potential Employee's claim to have worked on LA Noire if they're not in the official credits?

So few studios even bother. If it can be verified that you worked at a particular place and you have the requisite skills, they'll usually just take your word for it.

Santa Claustrophobia on