As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Time for a new thread

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Turkey wrote: »
    I will never get tired of overly patriotic art

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kxEJZQp4yUc/TDZBuu0ylEI/AAAAAAAABhc/dcpcz5bL2wE/s1600/one-nation-under-god-large.jpg

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/305620/playstation-vita-uk-price-expect-pound235/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS
    Sony has told CVG that an official announcement of the PlayStation Vita UK price will be made "later in the year".

However, a source close to the company was very confident that a UK RRP of "somewhere close to £235" was in the offing for the WiFi SKU, speaking earlier this evening in L.A.
    I can't wait for Sony to sue several importers out of business!

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    http://www.develop-online.net/news/37900/In-numbers-Apples-power-and-dev-payouts
    iPhone manufacturer has paid app developers over $2.5 billion in royalties

Apple CEO Steve Jobs today revealed that the App Store market has since its birth grossed some $3.25 billion in revenues worldwide.

And, since Apple takes a thirty per cent cut on all App Store item sales, Jobs stated that the thousands of iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad developers have together made $2.5 billion in royalties.

Speaking at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco today, Jobs told attendees that more than 14 billion apps have been downloaded from the App Store.

Other facts:

200 MILLION… iOS devices sold since the launch of iPhone and iPod Touch

LESS THAN TWENTY CENTS… the average dev royalty for every single App Store download to date (figure includes free apps)

MORE THAN 25 MILLION… iPads sold since the original’s launch 14 months ago

90,000 APPS… made specifically for the iPad

OVER 225 MILLION iOS ACCOUNTS… "all with credit cards and one-click purchasing"

44 PER CENT… of all mobile and tablet devices are iOS based

Couscous on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I guess Sony are waiting to see if the pound recovers or something? Cause it's worth jackshit at the moment, much to my glee. Civ V for NZ$31 and Total War: Shogun 2 for $35? Yes please. I'm dreading the day it recovers.

Edit: Recovers. Recovers.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Jobless AnarchistJobless Anarchist Hug me!!! VantaaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You dirty importer! You're worse than people buying used and pirates combined! :rotate::P

Edit: Seriously I can get games for a fraction they cost here locally, when I buy from the UK.

Jobless Anarchist on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You dirty importer! You're worse than people buying used and pirates combined! :rotate::P
    And let's not even get into buying used pirates!

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Good move by Sony for the price on the PS Vita, don't think many of us expected that at all considering the 3DS price and the fact that Sony has said they would not take a loss on the system no matter what like they did with the PS3 since they couldn't risk another such situation happening where they bleed money.

Cade on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Then again, they did recently announce cost-cutting measures for the Vita. Maybe they aren't taking a loss on it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    They didn't announce a thing about that, that was just a rumour. From a pretty reliable source but still, that doesn't mean they cut features, it could've been the plan all along. Devkits often have more RAM than the base systems so people can easily get the wrong idea, like that rumour last year that Microsoft was going to add another 512MB of RAM to new 360's because the new devkits had a gig of RAM.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    True, I remember now the article I read acknowledged it as a rumor.

I wouldn't fault them for doing just that.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Been looking through the e3 threads and saw rocksmith in the ubisoft one. It looks really cool and interesting, and I hope it works and is great, but is it too late for that game to sell? I can think of Some people at work who may be interested in it, as they'd like rb3 but not the $300 guitar. Although for one the appeal is playing real guitar while his family plays RB. A couple want to learn.

But with GH dead, RB3 sales low, is this thing going to sell?

Tommatt on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    On Nintendo's pricing: they really like the concept of pricing something for what it's worth and then resisting price drops as long as they can. We've seen that with the Wii and its games and with Iwata's talks about the race to the bottom and whatnot. The 3DS will probably get new colors and/or a pack in game before they drop the price. Also which games are launching with the Vita are still up in the air so Nintendo might still have some good and/or bad luck coming their way based on which ones make it for launch.

And Rocksmith's gonna be DOA if they ever decide to launch it. The only thing it has going for it is working with real guitars already.

Opty on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It looks as though the police in Okaloosa County in Florida have managed to do what so many game publishers would love to see happen. They've successfully cut used games sales down to a mere fraction of what they were.
    To put it plainly, every time you come in and trade in a game, gaming peripheral and/or game system you are required to fill out paper work.

New Requirements for trades:
    You also have to show your drivers license or some form of proper ID
    You must give information on your place of employment
    You must give weight, height, eye color and hair color
    You must give a thumb print
    You have to sign documents once complete
    All information is submitted to the Sheriffs Department

Each game traded in also is put on a 15 day holding period, which means that any game or system traded in to a GameStop store in Okaloosa County must be placed on hold. So these items cannot be sold until those 15 days are up. This means that each GameStop Store will be building up on stock that they cannot sell, which causes a new personal hell for GameStop employees.

If you're a store that deals with game trades-ins in Okaloosa County, you've got to comply with this. Apparently it's being done to help prevent stolen games and consoles being traded in, but it seems like an overly excessive measure to me.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/305631/wii-2-it-only-does-everything-and-more/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS
    As Microsoft whipped the skirt off its all-new Halo trilogy this morning in L.A, it was just a quiet whisper.

A few hours later, as Jack Tretton offered his sincere apologies to gamers everywhere, a murmur had begun to spread amongst the amassed hordes.

And tonight in the City Of Angels, on the tipsy streets of Sunset and amongst the dour drunkards of Downtown, it's practically a virus. E3 is alive with the sound of Nintendo. And how its latest innovation is to do everything. No, seriously. Everything.

What do you want the fabled Wii 2 controller to do? You might want a big fat touch screen, like an iPad-sized beast come to gaming life. As we suspected, it does that.

(And we might just mean iPad-sized - we've been told it can rival Apple's 10 X 8-inch tablet for clout, but is even lighter.)

But what about dual sticks; a factor that many leading core game developers demand in order to bring their best to a handheld console?

Yep, it does that.

What of shoulder buttons; a staple of modern Xbox and PlayStation controllers, as well as Nintendo's history - but not something that immediately springs to mind when we're in tablet territory?

You've guessed it.

So surely, it stands to reason, there's no motion control; no sophisticated gyroscope or the kind of movement-reading that's fuelled Nintendo's most recent runaway success?

We're afraid there is.

You see, we're told that when Nintendo came to decide on which of these recent hallmarks of the games industry it wanted to throw into its new console, it simply said: "All of them."

Los Angeles is rife this evening with talk of Nintendo's new baby, set to be unveiled in ten hours in Hollywood.

And with some certainty, a picture is beginning to emerge of the intriguing control device that some are saying will change the face of the industry.

It has dual sticks, it has motion control and it has shoulder buttons - and it boasts a big tablet-style touch screen. Much more importantly for Nintendo's fortunes, tiddly industry execs across the district literally can't stop themselves from talking about it.

One development source told us that it would be "outside of current thinking" to create a game where two people could each use one of the controllers at the same time in the same room... which is why Nintendo's newest oddity will work alongside Wiimotes.

Yep - the waggly wands are going nowhere when it comes to Wii 2.

The power of the machine is up for debate. Some say its innards surpass even PlayStation 3, others disagree - but the consensus seems to be that it certainly outpowers Microsoft's 360.

It sounds bizarre. It sounds off the wall. It sounds unworkable.

You'll need two hands and plenty of concentration to use it. But it might just change everything.

We'll have a live stream of Nintendo's conference at 9am PST, 5pm UK time. Brace yourselves.
    The hype is kind of weird.

Couscous on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It has to outpower the PS3 or they'll be in trouble in 2 years when they can no longer handle the requirements for games being made for the PS3 and next Xbox.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can't find a release date for the Vita, did they say anything?

Movitz on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nintendo is in a weird spot. The Cafe will be able to offer the best ports from the current generation, but what happens when the next generation rolls through - will it find itself underperforming and getting the least impressive-looking versions of multiplat games?

God it would be fricking insane if they managed to nab GTA V as a timed exclusive. But, I don't think they think the expense is worth it, and I doubt Rockstar would be interested to make the game first for a console that will probably be the least powerful unit in the coming generation. But still!

Absalon on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Realistically speaking, the way games look on PCs now, with the best hardware money can buy, is way better looking than anything on 360 or PS3.

To have that kind of power, Cafe would need to cost an arm and a leg (and probably be from the future with the way heat needs to dissipate and actually fitting it into a box that sits in front of your TV).

Of course, Nintendo isn't from the future--so I'm told. Nintendo's stuff, by the very definition of making something you can afford, won't be a huge graphical leap. Also, I'm sure they want to make a little moolah at the same time, meaning you aren't going to see hardware that pushes the limits of technology we know today all at a nice price.

And all that power means jack squat if the team of developers making the game doesn't push that power. Doing that takes time, money, resources... I'm sure most of you are familiar with the Launch Day Blues. Imagine trying to launch games with half the development time on a new console in this day and age when the 'standards' are Battlefield 3 or the Witcher 2 and everything else looks dated by comparison. How are you gonna "wow" someone when they're expecting more outta nothing?

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    ...that's....a really weird article. I guess the only option is to wait and see.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Movitz wrote: »
    Sometime before the end of the year.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Movitz wrote: »

"holiday season" this year, that's all they've said so far

Maddoc on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    More than raw power, Nintendo has to appeal with the controller to some sort of new gameplay innovation.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    More than raw power, Nintendo has to appeal with the controller to some sort of new gameplay innovation.

Homer-Simpson-car-21638.jpg

Couscous on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So far, all we've heard amounts to everything and the kitchen sink. Which is nice, but it's going to make for a hefty controller price. Whatever this last surprise is, it is hopefully something that really floors people.

Absalon on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So what's up with the talk that the 3DS' eShop patch makes Ridge Racer 3DS not work? You'd think with its current library it'd be pretty easy to test whether the patch fucked any games up.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The game works, there is just an odd glitch that occurs when you back out of certain menus.

edit: http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=160079

Reggie says "systems". Plural! D:

I am sure he mis-spoke, but.....

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    plufim wrote: »
    The game works, there is just an odd glitch that occurs when you back out of certain menus.

The video isn't loading for me right now, but did he say it in a context where it could also refer to the 3DS?

Peewi on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

The video isn't loading for me right now, but did he say it in a context where it could also refer to the 3DS?

"...we'll be talking about our new systems.."

It couldn't be 3DS.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

"...we'll be talking about our new systems.."

It couldn't be 3DS.

Why not? 3DS is still new, even though it's not in the same way as their next console.

Peewi on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I found this very interesting in response to Sony's 3D TV they showed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVJcVPvjUJo

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I heard Gametrailers mention "The Homer" as well. The thing is, the problem with that analogy is that while The Homer had everything the common man wanted, it was also designed by the common man. Nintendo doesn't actually operate like that - they operate by designing for their games first. In this case they may have expanded it out to include 3rd parties, but they aren't idiots. If anyone can pull this off, it's them.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm just looking for excuses to post that car.

The problem with that car is that while what it has is shit that people want, combining it all creates something that no one wants because add all that shit together doesn't work well. Nintendo has generally been good at making the features work well together with many of the problems being a lack of features such as decent online.

Couscous on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't care about how much stuff they threw into the controller, I want to know if it has games.

The Wii was a great system with a lot of great games to choose from, but they didn't have the multiplatform / cross platform support they needed. Dead Space Extraction instead of Dead Space. Umbrella Chronicles instead of RE5. Both great games, but both spinoffs rather than the mainline game. Nintendo needs games like MW3 and Ghost Recon.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't care about how much stuff they threw into the controller, I want to know if it has games.

The Wii was a great system with a lot of great games to choose from, but they didn't have the multiplatform / cross platform support they needed. Dead Space Extraction instead of Dead Space. Umbrella Chronicles instead of RE5. Both great games, but both spinoffs rather than the mainline game. Nintendo needs games like MW3 and Ghost Recon.

Probably gonna be more of the same. Just like the Wii, you'll see some cross platform porting and as the PS4 and Xbox 3 gain steam the Wii 2 will probably find itself in the exact same situation.

Wii got Modern Warfare, BTW.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    It looks as though the police in Okaloosa County in Florida have managed to do what so many game publishers would love to see happen. They've successfully cut used games sales down to a mere fraction of what they were.
    To put it plainly, every time you come in and trade in a game, gaming peripheral and/or game system you are required to fill out paper work.

Each game traded in also is put on a 15 day holding period, which means that any game or system traded in to a GameStop store in Okaloosa County must be placed on hold. So these items cannot be sold until those 15 days are up. This means that each GameStop Store will be building up on stock that they cannot sell, which causes a new personal hell for GameStop employees.

If you're a store that deals with game trades-ins in Okaloosa County, you've got to comply with this. Apparently it's being done to help prevent stolen games and consoles being traded in, but it seems like an overly excessive measure to me.

I was under the impression this was being done everywhere. This is a common practice in Brevard County Florida as well. Its not really a big deal, its similar to doing business with a pawn shop. I've only had to fill out the paper work once, and the thumb print is no biggie. I mean, just as with a pawn shop, if Gamestop takes stolen goods from you and the police come and sieze it, then they are out the merch you got for the hot goods and the illigal items as well. Its like losing twice the profit.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sheep wrote: »

Probably gonna be more of the same. Just like the Wii, you'll see some cross platform porting and as the PS4 and Xbox 3 gain steam the Wii 2 will probably find itself in the exact same situation.

It's far too early to assume that. If nothing else it will have a good year of equal footing, and we'll see what happens afterward.

If the controller can do standard twin stick controls, that alone will go miles toward enticing developers vs. the Wii's situation.

By MW3 I meant the same one the other consoles got, and not a massive downport.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    http://kotaku.com/5809374/nearly-9-million-ps-moves-moved
    At Sony's E3 press event, the electronics giant stated that it's sold 8.8 million PS Move units.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Kitsuna wrote: »

I was under the impression this was being done everywhere. This is a common practice in Brevard County Florida as well. Its not really a big deal, its similar to doing business with a pawn shop. I've only had to fill out the paper work once, and the thumb print is no biggie. I mean, just as with a pawn shop, if Gamestop takes stolen goods from you and the police come and sieze it, then they are out the merch you got for the hot goods and the illigal items as well. Its like losing twice the profit.

Depends on where you're located. It can be a little as taking your name and address, and as much as above. It's all about stolen merch and whatnot.
    It's far too early to assume that. If nothing else it will have a good year of equal footing, and we'll see what happens afterward.

If the controller can do standard twin stick controls, that alone will go miles toward enticing developers vs. the Wii's situation.

Well if it's on equal footing, then they need to figure out a way to get 360/PS3 gamers to migrate to their platform. They need to exceed, not equal. But we'll see. Two great titles (first and third-party) is all they really need.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Sheep wrote: »

Sorry. Just not seeing it. I'm seeing it play out almost exactly like it did with this gen. Under powered (relative) Wii 2 will get some ports from 720/PS4 library but they'll begin to outpace it within a year from launch.

Modern Warfare 3 and BF3 don't really mean squat when they'll also release on the PS3/360 and Wii 2 games of that type won't matter too much without a very strong online service running behind them. Finally, despite gamers owning a Wii + 360/PS3, gamers didn't flock to Wii versions of popular 360/PS3 titles so suspecting that they'll do it next gen for some unknown reason isn't very convincing.

Unless their controller is something absolutely fantastic, I don't see much of anything changing. Gamers didn't move to the Wii because of motion controls, so assuming they'll move to Wii 2 for touch controls, while not as far fetched, is still unbelievable.

It sounds more like Pachter and Sony's constantly harangued, imaginary, army of soon to be new console owners just waiting to pounce on their product. Any minute now. Seriously. Just you wait.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I see the situation as negative for Nintendo also. They need to relearn what happens when you try to go toe to toe with competitors that dont mind losing money indefinitely.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    They didn't flock to them because they were basically PS2 versions, or worse. If the next console is on the same graphical level or better and has a standard controller, they've honestly got a decent shot at capturing some of that market.

Actually gamers kind of did flock to the CoD Wii games. They didn't get to 360/PS3 levels but most of them sold pretty respectively, perhaps just out of sheer user base.

UncleSporky on