As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Time for a new thread

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    Sony is also really pushing the PS3/Vita connectivity stuff.

Same company that tried to insist the HDD in the PS2 would be a good idea.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    McWhertor:
    It's 249 Euro and 24,900 Yen for the Wi-fi only model.
    6:57

McWhertor:
    The 3G enabled model is again $299 USD, 299 Euro and 29,980 Yen

Couscous on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    24,900 is a pretty attractive price point, but I'm still disappointed with no TV-out.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So... why would you want to pay the extra money for 3G? Honestly curious. We might be missing something here.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So... why would you want to pay the extra money for 3G? Honestly curious. We might be missing something here.

AT&T 3G at that! Ha.

I think the idea is that you can play multiplayer anywhere with it, even in places without wifi or with shitty wifi. But seriously, doesn't seem like it's worth $50 more to me.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I guess it gives you a much larger area for download access?

Though yeah, I don't really see the point of it personally. I have Wi-Fi at home and at work, so I'm golden.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Why the boos for AT&T? Are they that bad?

I've had an iPhone with AT&T for over three years now and never had any issues...

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've had an iPhone with AT&T for over three years now and never had any issues...
    AT&T's 3G network is, generally, awful.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    As far as AT&T goes, it depends on where you live. In a fairly non-congested place like Tulsa, I haven't had a single problem with reception on my iPhone. But when I went to the Las Vegas strip, I was lucky to get reception once out of every four tries. Apparently New York and San Francisco are particularly bad. The popularity of the iPhone just overwhelmed the shit out of urban parts of their network, and they've been trying to catch up ever since.

I just can't see the 3G version doing too hot, especially since no other portable gaming system has done it before. Sony will have to have some sort of face meltingly-awesome game changer to get even many tech nerds to bite for that, and I don't really see it.

The Wifi model though definitely has a fighting chance.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So, we got an actually decent price for Vita and some interesting games.

...was there much of anything new/interesting for the PS3? There's the new Eve-related shooter, a new Sly game (yay!) and, uh, that's about it. Everything else was either multiplat or known about already.

Oh, I guess there was the Bioshock moneyhat.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I live... about twenty minutes from AT&T headquarters, so they're actually fairly solid here.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Since it's relevant to the industry thread, what Cloudeagle said in the Vita thread about the $250 price point is right on the money. Just because the kind of people that are informed on the E3 conference think the price is reasonable doesn't mean that it's going to go over well with average consumers. It's still a prohibitively expensive device.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The actual price is less important than the fact that they are directly competing with the 3DS, rather than just vomiting out a high end piece of hardware at twice the cost and wondering why it isn't moving.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The actual price is less important than the fact that they are directly competing with the 3DS, rather than just vomiting out a high end piece of hardware at twice the cost and wondering why it isn't moving.
    Pricing a system so that you make globs of profit off the early adopters?

Whether you like it or not, Nintendo isn't "wondering" anything.

EDIT: Sorry if that sounded aggressive, but c'mon, Nintendo has been doing this for so long, I doubt they wouldn't have made a plan for this.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mentioned this in the E3 thread cause I thought I was posting here but anyways. I've lived far to long in a Nintendo dominated handheld world that I don't think I can process how the PSVita's price and features will effect this handheld generation.

Personally I think both of them are still too high. You can't say you aren't competing with smartphones/ipod touches if you go that high. In Sony's case I can't see them going much lower since that is one beautiful device. For Nintendo I think overconfidence might cause them to stick to $250 for much longer than they should.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    V Faction wrote: »

EDIT: Sorry if that sounded aggressive, but c'mon, Nintendo has been doing this for so long, I doubt they wouldn't have made a plan for this.

... What?

Read it again, because I pointing out that Sony is actually competing with Nintendo by releasing the system at a competitive price, as opposed to Sony's previous strategy of releasing the system for whatever price they want and fuck the haters

Maddoc on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

I think Nintendo's usual strategy has been to start at a competitive price rather than exploit early adopters and then just never drop the price for years.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    edited June 2011

... What?

Read it again, because I pointing out that Sony is actually competing with Nintendo by releasing the system at a competitive price, as opposed to Sony's previous strategy of releasing the system for whatever price they want and fuck the haters

Well then my sincerest apologies. You're talking about coming out with a $500 handheld, not the widely-held popular opinion of an overpriced 3DS. Again, my bad.

Now how to save this post?

Maybe the best way for Nintendo to deal with this is not to, as I see many suggest, shock-drop the price to $200 tomorrow in their conference. Instead, give it a gentle drop of about 20 bucks, maybe throw in a free game you can download until the price drop hits as incentive for buying early, or pack something in. Basically, they thought they could get away with such a high price and Sony's showing 'em they can't.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Every time somebody suggests a price drop is an effective counter to a hardward announcement, I read it as 'I'm cheap! GIMMIEGIMMIEGIMMIE!'

Anyway, the $250 price point is to compete with the 3DS. The $300 price is to fool people who have gotten used to thinking the more expensive version is the better one. That's why it's tied with AT&T. Because there's one born every minuted.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    plufim wrote: »
    Modnation racers track creation SHOULD have been the first thing they showed. This is why the dual touch is cool.

Yeah that was really neat.

Not sure why they demoed Ruin, since it didn't look the greatest and the guy presenting it was shitting his pants. If they really wanted to demonstrate the PS3/Vita cross-compatibility, they should've brought out Wipeout HD and Wipeout 2048 and had them race each other.

I missed the launch lineup mention though, did he say that all the games demoed were launch games? If so that might explain Ruin, and why they didn't just throw out a big list of upcoming games.

...was there much of anything new/interesting for the PS3? There's the new Eve-related shooter, a new Sly game (yay!) and, uh, that's about it. Everything else was either multiplat or known about already.

Alongside the ones you mentioned, there was the on-rails Move game, the PSN exclusive Star Trek prequel, the God of War Origins Collection and the Team Ico Collection release date. Plus the Bioshock, NFS, SSX and Battlefield 3 exclusive content stuff.

Overall I thought it was the best Sony conference I can remember. Just a couple of down points (the 3D stuff and NBA) but otherwise, paced really well and there was a lot of great content.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think the best counter is to announce an ocarina of time bundle for $250, and then follow it up with a mario kart 3DS one.

Ugh, just booted up my 360, and realised that Kinect still doesn't have voice control implemented in Australia. They promised they were working on it a long damn time ago.

My accent isn't that funny!

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's all gonna be about the games. I've spent considerably more on DS hardware than PSP hardware (DS, DS Lite, DSi vs. PSP go), and given the number of games and time spent with each system I'd make the same decision today. If Nintendo delivers the games tomorrow the 3DS will be fine, even at $250 (although a price drop wouldn't hurt, I think their bigger job is to get consumers aware of the fact that the 3DS ISN'T the latest revision of the DS hardware but a full successor system). Without games either system would eventually bomb even if they launched at $99.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Voice control for Australia by the end of the year
    Seriously? Ridiculous. What other regions are still waiting?
    We’ve just spoken with a Microsoft representative, who has informed us that Voice Control for Kinect will definitely be available “by the end of the year.” But as of now they have no more specifics with regards to precisely when that will be.

We will be speaking further with Microsoft about the issue – hopefully this afternoon. So we’re hoping to get more specific details on the date, and possibly some answers with regards to why the update has taken so long.

More news as we get it.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    crickey! Wallaby dingo gator. Dingo dingo wallaby outback.
    Seriously though, makes no sense for it to not work with Australia. It's still English.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    $250 for Vita. $250 is too much for these gaming handhelds, but at least Sony is on the same price level as its primary competitor.

Good move, so :^: from me for Sony.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Modnation racers track creation SHOULD have been the first thing they showed. This is why the dual touch is cool.

Yeah that was really neat.

Not sure why they demoed Ruin, since it didn't look the greatest and the guy presenting it was shitting his pants. If they really wanted to demonstrate the PS3/Vita cross-compatibility, they should've brought out Wipeout HD and Wipeout 2048 and had them race each other.

I missed the launch lineup mention though, did he say that all the games demoed were launch games? If so that might explain Ruin, and why they didn't just throw out a big list of upcoming games.

Alongside the ones you mentioned, there was the on-rails Move game, the PSN exclusive Star Trek prequel, the God of War Origins Collection and the Team Ico Collection release date. Plus the Bioshock, NFS, SSX and Battlefield 3 exclusive content stuff.

Overall I thought it was the best Sony conference I can remember. Just a couple of down points (the 3D stuff and NBA) but otherwise, paced really well and there was a lot of great content.

Honestly Ruin was what looked the most interesting to me. Almost everything else (for Vita anyways) was pretty much based on an existing franchise (or close enough... "Street Fighter vs. ____" is pretty much a franchise). So it was kind of "eh" - they might be good but it's not showing off anything really original.

As for the Modnation thing - track editor looked kind of neat but it also looked like it lagged to shit. At they very least - Chris Kohler who's actually played the thing confirmed that it was pretty laggy and not intuitive. Not that there isn't time to fix that before release of course.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Voice control for Australia by the end of the year
    Seriously? Ridiculous. What other regions are still waiting?
    We’ve just spoken with a Microsoft representative, who has informed us that Voice Control for Kinect will definitely be available “by the end of the year.” But as of now they have no more specifics with regards to precisely when that will be.

We will be speaking further with Microsoft about the issue – hopefully this afternoon. So we’re hoping to get more specific details on the date, and possibly some answers with regards to why the update has taken so long.

More news as we get it.

I'd guess a lot of places where English isn't the primary language. The availability of the Windows speech recognition is somewhat limited as well.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    works only with proper Oxford English

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    3g is slow no matter who your provider is. It is fine for a search engine etc. but you can't really use it to stream content.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    Sony is also really pushing the PS3/Vita connectivity stuff.

Same company that tried to insist the HDD in the PS2 would be a good idea.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm inclined to agree. That being said, I'm pleased with the price point (it matches the 3DS anyway), so good on Sony for that.

I'm with the "eh, 3G" crowd as well--I'm on T-Mobile's 3G network, which, where I live, is perfectly adequate for Netflix, Last.fm, and the like, but AT&T has a reputation for being pretty lousy in my area, and even if it wasn't, I doubt I'd try downloading a demo off already-slow PSN while sitting in a fastfood joint.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Jobless AnarchistJobless Anarchist Hug me!!! VantaaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    When will this industry or any industry in general learn, that $1 does not equal €1?
    I feel scewed over, ofcourse not as badly as Aus and NZ, but still.
    Or how would you Amurricans feel, if you had to pay some $350 for the privilige of buying a Vita or a 3DS?

Jobless Anarchist on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I don't own a PS3, but respect is due. They showed several things that I would definitely want. Sony's show was very much superior to the crap that MS showed this time. I mean, Sly 4! That by itself is awesome.

Also Jack making the Ridge Racer joke, I'll admit, was hilarious.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    When will this industry or any industry in general learn, that $1 does not equal €1?
    Or how would you Amurricans feel, if you had to pay some $350 for the privilige of buying a Vita or a 3DS?

Shut up and continue helping our economy!
    mWu8Y.jpg

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Gud Bless Amurrica

V Faction on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I will never get tired of overly patriotic art

Turkey on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Remember, freedom isn't free, but it is significantly cheaper at retail in American than the rest of the world.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    Jobless AnarchistJobless Anarchist Hug me!!! VantaaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    [STRIKE]At least your brand of nationalism hasn't been hijacked by hardcore fascists and neo-nazis.[/STRIKE]
    Well I can hope it hasn't.

Jobless Anarchist on
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Turkey wrote: »

Shut up and continue helping our economy!
    mWu8Y.jpg

To be perfectly honest, the US's price is ridiculously low when you take exchange rates into account. Sony and Nintendo have been losing massive amounts of money because of the weak American dollar. What used to get them Y20,000 now gets them Y16,000. That is a massive difference.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Also I hope Sony keeps up the trend of having no region locking. Then it doesn't matter where you get your PSV from.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I've always figured that if the dollar is stronger than the pound/euro prices in europe would be switched around.

Turkey on