As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Time for a new thread

• Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Credits are nice. What goes a long way, especially in the games industry I'm guessing, is any referrals or prior contacts that can vouch for your work. Both of those should not be taken for granted, even if you may only spend a relatively small amount of time on the project.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Will Wright lost my "give a damn" badge when Spore turned out to be completely forgettable.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    So, I remember someone (CloudEagle?) who was not happy with the amount (or lack of) pain Lara appeared to be experiencing in that Tomb Raider image whilst she bandaged herself.

Did you watch the trailer? ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?! :P

Because I'm a masochist, I'll ask if there's a link to that trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFBrgeSjj-0

Trailer isnt actually that good, so there's that... games gonna rock though!

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, I remember someone (CloudEagle?) who was not happy with the amount (or lack of) pain Lara appeared to be experiencing in that Tomb Raider image whilst she bandaged herself.

Did you watch the trailer? ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?! :P

Because I'm a masochist, I'll ask if there's a link to that trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFBrgeSjj-0

Trailer isnt actually that good, so there's that... games gonna rock though!

Yeah, that one didn't even try to go for sex at all, as opposed to the still pictures. The tourniquet scene looked completely different (she didn't smile a bit).

I'd point out that it's a little disturbing that Lara is (attempted to be) saved by a dude (dudes?) twice in that short time, but I'd probably be accused of being nit-picky. And I'm probably just still scarred from Metroid: Other Masochism.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So, No?

You're not happy now?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    You sure? I'm almost positive their directly marketing to Stranded on Tropical Island sex fetishists.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Eh, I never said the game will be bad, I think it's an interesting new direction for the franchise. I just thought it was very fascinating from a marketing standpoint how they managed to sex up someone in such distress.

Man, why are people coming to conclusions that I hate the game? That's about as ridiculous as saying that I do all those posts because I'm a giant fan of A--

The entire thread: NO!! DON'T SAY IT!!

What? I was just going to say --

The entire thread: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T DO IT!!

....fine.

At any rate, Joystiq's saying Insomniac's going to unveil their new IP at EA's press conference,

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cloudeagle she wasn't smiling you dolt, she was gripping the bandage in-between her teeth! :x

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cloudeagle she wasn't smiling you dolt, she was gripping the bandage in-between her teeth! :x

Sexily.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Yet somehow she managed to do it in the video without smiling. Hell, her lips were turned down in the video.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, why are people coming to conclusions that I hate the game? That's about as ridiculous as saying that I do all those posts because I'm a giant fan of A--

The entire thread: NO!! DON'T SAY IT!!

What? I was just going to say --

The entire thread: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T DO IT!!
    What, I was just going to say Candlejack...

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lara's demo gave me more sympathy pain than arousal

Turkey on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh god...not this again.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Oh god...not this again.

xi0Mp.jpg

Turkey on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was thinking more;

canada-geese-flying.jpg

But that's quite fitting as well.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I love this thread. Yes, even when it's giving me shit. :P

So, Microsoft stuff. Call of Duty downloadable stuff on 360 first. Rare's not doing Kinect Sports 2. Random Kinect doo-dads for the Live dash. Voice commands for Mass Effect 3. Star Wars mini-games. You can hug Mickey Mouse. You can put googly eyes on whatever the hell you want. Dance Central 2. Oh, and Halo stuff.

Hm. I think casuals will keep on eating up Kinect with a spoon, while folks more like us will continue not giving a shit. Halo and Gears of War are predictable, but will sell like crazy. I'm a little more iffy about how the GoW Kinect thing will do... probably not blockbuster status, I'm guessing.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ryse looks like a Punch Out clone set in roman times. It's the second game I've seen on Kinect that has me interested (first being Dance Central).

Turkey on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Correction Cloud, the casuals and Fraggle will eat it up, while the majority of the rest of us won't care about Kinect even after this conference.

Fraggle: <3

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, one example with no further details provided from a Kotaku rumour 'suggests a lack of imagination on the part of many Kinect developers'.

Given the 360 has fuck-all rail shooters I don't even see why this wouldn't be a good idea!
    Rail shooters are some of the easiest fucking thing to do on this kind of technology. It is why the Wii had a decentish number. When it comes to making "hardcore" Kinect games, a railshooter is the most obvious way to do so. There is a reason why that piece of shit Harry Potter game had the rail shooter Kinect mode.

From the conference, it appears to mostly be a bunch of railshooters, some minigame collection, and something that looks like a punch out clone.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    And even the latest Punch-Out rigged up a Kinect mode by using the motion controllers and the Wii Fit pad.

Come to think of it, hasn't there already been a Kinect boxing game? That was pretty much complete shit? (To be fair, the Move's boxing game was shit too.)

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So ME3 is as kinect as I thought it would, voice commands. Anyone could have done this years ago with the headset if they really wanted to. The original Xbox had some voice command games.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So Insomniac's thing is called Overstrike, which is a four-player co-op thing where a soldier, thief, scientist and spy kill dudes.

Man. Between that and the four-player Ratchet, Insomniac's really going ape with co-op. Let's hope it's still fun single-player.

Is co-op a thing yet? By which I mean an industry trend that everyone's doing.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Is co-op a thing yet? By which I mean an industry trend that everyone's doing.

Co-op's been a thing for a while now. 2+ years

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I love this thread. Yes, even when it's giving me shit. :P

So, Microsoft stuff. Call of Duty downloadable stuff on 360 first. Rare's not doing Kinect Sports 2. Random Kinect doo-dads for the Live dash. Voice commands for Mass Effect 3. Star Wars mini-games. You can hug Mickey Mouse. You can put googly eyes on whatever the hell you want. Dance Central 2. Oh, and Halo stuff.

Hm. I think casuals will keep on eating up Kinect with a spoon, while folks more like us will continue not giving a shit. Halo and Gears of War are predictable, but will sell like crazy. I'm a little more iffy about how the GoW Kinect thing will do... probably not blockbuster status, I'm guessing.

Don't forget Forza that looked cool too, that's a big one for me this year.

Bizarrely, Microsoft missed out a bunch of important stuff, like;

Summer of Arcade and Cloud storage for game saves and profiles.

The Kinect App thingy is availalbe now, I've got it downloading.

Also, I'm pretty happy about the new, New Xbox Experience redesign. Things were feeling cluttered again, and man, most Kinect-owning folks have been crying out for more dedicated dash controls.

Brainiac - no worries, I know I'm in the minority on this board. Happy to be part of a 10 million strong army of 'casuals' though!
    From the conference, it appears to mostly be a bunch of railshooters, some minigame collection, and something that looks like a punch out clone.
    Also steering, speaking ques, voice command, sports, menu navigation, head-tracking, dancing, 3D painting, item/full body scanning, shooting, NNXE integration, flying, blah blah blah whatever dude.

And there is plenty of other stuff which wasn't shown. And that still doesn't mean 'core' games aren't coming. They are. Retail and XBLA. Choice is a wonderful thing.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    So ME3 is as kinect as I thought it would, voice commands. Anyone could have done this years ago with the headset if they really wanted to. The original Xbox had some voice command games.

I wonder why voice command games aren't bigger than they are? It sure as hell can't be dodgy voice detection software...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also steering, speaking ques, voice command, sports, menu navigation, head-tracking, dancing, 3D painting, item/full body scanning, shooting, NNXE integration, flying, blah blah blah whatever dude.
    I'm talking about the games, not individual parts of the games.
    And there is plenty of other stuff which wasn't shown.
    Such as?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heck, the Phoenix Wright games let you yell "Objection!" into the DS mic. I did it a couple times and got a kick out of it, but I quickly switched to doing it through a screen tap. And when you're talking about a game where the action gets fast and furious, most people are going to want to do things the quickest, easiest way available.

I like that they're trying a few new things, but so far they seem like small, random additions that are too easily ignored or don't really add much to the experience.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    And even the latest Punch-Out rigged up a Kinect mode by using the motion controllers and the Wii Fit pad.

Come to think of it, hasn't there already been a Kinect boxing game? That was pretty much complete shit? (To be fair, the Move's boxing game was shit too.)

There was some kinda crappy beat 'em up. Fighters Uncaged? Not played it.

Kinect Sports has an awesome boxing mode though, with a couple of mini games to go with it.
    Couscous wrote: »
    Well too bad, half the point in the conference was to demonstrate different areas where Kinect can be used partially, as well as exclusively. Something people have been calling for since launch. Not to mention, a variety of experiences within a game does not suddenly negate those options - most physical aspects of Kinect gameplay are designed around short, varied experiences.
    Such as?
    I expected to see Child of Eden, Project Draco, PowerUp Heroes, Rise of Nightmares, Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor, The Gunstringer, Codename D, Doodle Jump for starters, alongside whatever the Gears thing was, and other unknown quantities like Haunt, Heavy Fire: Afghanistan, Hole in the Wall, Kung Fu Panda 2, Wipeout in the Zone, Grand Slam Tennis 11 and a bunch of others you can find here, for starters.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Kinect Sports has an awesome boxing mode though, with a couple of mini games to go with it.
    Well too bad, half the point in the conference was to demonstrate different areas where Kinect can be used partially, as well as exclusively. Something people have been calling for since launch. Not to mention, a variety of experiences within a game does not suddenly negate those options - most physical aspects of Kinect gameplay are designed around short, varied experiences.
    Such as?
    I expected to see Child of Eden, Project Draco, PowerUp Heroes, Rise of Nightmares, Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor, The Gunstringer, Codename D, Doodle Jump for starters, alongside whatever the Gears thing was, and other unknown quantities like Haunt, Heavy Fire: Afghanistan, Hole in the Wall, Kung Fu Panda 2, Wipeout in the Zone, Grand Slam Tennis 11 and a bunch of others you can find here, for starters.
    And because most developers are lazy, the vast majority of those are going to be railshooters, racing games, sports games, and minigame collections as those are the easiest ways to make a kinect game. The ones that want to appear "hardcore" will just go the railshooter or racing game route.

Hole in the Wall, Kung Fu Panda 2, and Wipeout in the Zone are about as unknown quantities as any other announced shovelware game.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Not to mention, a variety of experiences within a game does not suddenly negate those options - most physical aspects of Kinect gameplay are designed around short, varied experiences.
    Options are fairly useless if they aren't used outside of a two minute section or are never used more than superficially.

Couscous on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I haven't seen the conference, but are you guys saying that they had a section that was basically "These are areas that Kinect can be used in"?

That reads to me that, 6-7 months later, nobody has a damn clue how to really use Kinect, and MS had to come out and try to show developers how to work with it.

I can't say that inspires me with a lot of confidence.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There's not much else you can do with a Kinect game that isn't stationary or on rails.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Not to mention, a variety of experiences within a game does not suddenly negate those options - most physical aspects of Kinect gameplay are designed around short, varied experiences.
    Options are fairly useless if they aren't used outside of a two minute section or are never used more than superficially.

And you are basing that on what games, specifically, or are you just making shit up to fit your biased agenda?

Such as?
    And because most developers are lazy, the vast majority of those are going to be railshooters, racing games, sports games, and minigame collections as those are the easiest ways to make a kinect game. The ones that want to appear "hardcore" will just go the railshooter or racing game route.

Hole in the Wall, Kung Fu Panda 2, and Wipeout in the Zone are about as unknown quantities as any other announced shovelware game.

Well given that plenty of other genres are well represented on 360 through traditional retail blockbusters, and so many quirky innovative titles keep shining through XBLA, I fail to see why Kinect railshooters (especially when some are as slick as what we have seen today) racing games, sports games (both of which can be totally fantastic genres) and minigame collections (these can be just fine when effort is put into them, see Kinect Sports, or even Wii Sports) are a problem since there are obviously other genres and experiences being represented too, alongside added functionality for the console and curiosity pieces through new dedicated channels.

See when presented with a pile of today's demonstrated gameply options you shit on it.

When presented by a pile of new games, some of which have barely been seen, you blindly shit on them too.

I'm not continuing this discussion further, you just keep internet hating on the Kinect for whatever fucking reason despite not having played a single one of any of these games, since you clearly have little-to-no intention of playing them, or approaching the subject with an open mind.

These games are designed to be fun, y'know? But you just keep on hating if it makes you feel superior.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I still wish they would do a hybrid controller to work along side the Kinect.

That would be the ideal way of handling things.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    fragglefart, you really expect anything but cynicism from Couscous? How...how long have you been hanging out in the industry threads? :P

Turkey on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They caught one hacker.
    Around 11 a.m., Sony Computer Entertainment’s Developer Network Source Code was hacked and uploaded to several file sharing websites by a group of hackers known as Lulz Security (LulzSec) under the Twitter name @LulzSec.

One member of the group, Robert Cavanaugh, was apprehended and taken into custody by the FBI after an apparent counter hack, according to an internal chat log from their private IRC server, posted through SecList, a network mapper website.

The developer network source code leaked by the group on June 6 is principally the design recipe for the resource network where developers embed their programming, like PlayStation games. With it, hackers would be able to make changes to it, reverse-engineering the network and creating duplicates or different versions.

They would also be able use the source code to find holes in the system and exploit them, wreaking further havoc on Sony’s already battered network security team.

Although previous hacks into the network allowed many people to illegally download games for free and access Sony programming resources, it is possible that with the source code, a hacker could potentially duplicate a form of the network so that he would have constant real time access to it.

LulzSec has been targeting Sony in particular due to legal action that Sony took in January against hacker George “GeoHot” Hotz for jailbreaking the PlayStation 3 system.

LulzSec, among other individual hackers, have compromised Sony computer networks multiple times in the past few weeks following the highly publicized PlayStation Network hack.

They recently breached Sony Pictures and stole 150,000 records, claiming they had access to a database with more than 4.5 million records. LulzSec stated “SonyPictures.com was owned by a very simple SQL injection, one of the most primitive and common vulnerabilities, as we should all know by now. From a single injection, we accessed EVERYTHING. Why do you put such faith in a company that allows itself to become open to these simple attacks?”

The recent hack is also significant in that it comes only a day before the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles in which Sony is expected to publicly and directly apologize for their response to the PSN and Qriocity breach in April, while also introducing new technology and products.

Cade on
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just in time...

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Or did they catch anyone...
    Interesting... this article claims one of us was arrested: http://bit.ly/koKSkV That's strange because all of us are still here. Uh-oh!
    37 minutes ago
    So if we're here... and someone is arrested... then how did... we... oh lawdy, Robert Cavanaugh. You dun goofed.
    30 minutes ago

Cade on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So wait, hackers now have the developer source code? I did not know that. I feel sorry for the people working on Sony's security.

Couscous on