As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Terraria! Soon with: Criticals! Inventory Management! FAQ: Its a DEMON ALTAR dammit!

• Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    WOW I just found a terraria mapping program and found a couple of floating islands easy. Now I'm still in gold armor but I have the leafblade/starfury and I"m so happy. I'm gonna go get the forest armour for mana regen so I can use the star fury on bosses above ground. Otherwise leafblade will be good. You know I'm thinking, underground I won't need mana because starfury is useless underground. I think I'll try and get some non mana regen high defense armour after I get my forest set.

This game is a blast:).

sumwar on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    there are a lot of other good spells you will get later

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've only been playing Terraria for a few days now. Been avoiding searching the internet for stuff in the game.

So I am playing Terraria. When out of nowhere I get a message saying that a goblin army was approaching from the east. That's cool they'll just meet the giant pits I have on either side of my fort. The message appeared a few more times and then it said they had arrived.

Goblins pour in from all directions. I am fighting them off with this fancy flail I got from one of those orbs. It is going okay. My demo guy died when a sorcerer hit him with some purple magic. All in all I am doing an decent job repelling the little fucks. There is a lot of them and they just keep coming and coming.

Pmdf4.jpg

Not many left. I don't know how much longer this will last.

Wait a second.

Enhance.

MDtR1.jpg

Enhance.

UZOzV.jpg

ENHANCE

mXgMO.jpg

kSRTz.jpg

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think I want to make an elevated town, but what about the NPCs? Will they still be able to find their way up to the rooms? Will they keep falling off and die? Can I guard against this?

They'll probably spawn on the ground and be confused, but if you go a decent distance off screen from your base then they'll warp to their chosen home while you aren't looking.

Once in their home, they rarely leave so walking to their doom shouldn't be an issue either.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, the NPCs usually don't wander far. Except for the guide, opening doors in the middle of the night and letting all the enemies in.

If they are getting attacked they will run off.

Just started a brand new character in a new medium world. Lucked into a sky island right away along with some decent surface copper nodes. Trying to do the armor progression is taking longer than the first time.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I wanted to get a feel of just how far along I was on my "small" world. The red box is what I've explored in 5.5 hours including the two islands and those two cave systems.

Holy crap a small world is big. I was wondering though on what the different things on the map where. I assume the green is what everyone calls the jungle. Is that bright purple the dungeon and the dark purple the corruption?

unled2gh.jpg

Glad I found those islands though. I got starfury from one (need one more star to get mana) and a balloon to make me jump higher from the other, plus a ton of ore so I now have a full armor set. Oh and down at the bottom of that cave on the right I found a purplish ore but my pickaxe wouldn't mine it. Do I just need a stronger axe or is that something special?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    you need a pickaxe made out of that purple ore and one other item

you can get those items by summoning and defeating the Eater of Worlds and the Eye of Cthulhu

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think that's Corruption he's running into, not Demonite. So (for now) there's actually not any use for the ore, but it's good to be able to mine it.

In a pinch, you can use dynamite.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    How do servers on this game typically go? There are servers listed in the OP but they're not as persistent as Minecraft, right?

In other words, is somebody like "ok guys my server is made" and everyone joins the clean server with new characters and builds up strength together...or does everyone join with their mains and run around breaking everything and building cooperative megastructures?

Are there built-up servers with tons of structures, or are most servers about playing the game rather than sandboxing?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So my friend and I finally found our fallen meteor; it landed in the east ocean. Mining it was...interesting. We tunneled underneath it, a bit problematic due to a) overpowered sand and b) meteor heads floating around in a cramped mining space. DJeebus was also the only one with a pick capable of mining the meteorite; I grappled around throwing sticky bombs.

Once we were mining close enough to the ocean bed, I let him mine while I carefully placed blocks of dirt to keep the water above us.
    B484A43FC24E7AD4219B130E52342476795979A6

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dusda wrote: »
    So my friend and I finally found our fallen meteor; it landed in the east ocean. Mining it was...interesting. We tunneled underneath it, a bit problematic due to a) overpowered sand and b) meteor heads floating around in a cramped mining space. DJeebus was also the only one with a pick capable of mining the meteorite; I grappled around throwing sticky bombs.

Once we were mining close enough to the ocean bed, I let him mine while I carefully placed blocks of dirt to keep the water above us.
    B484A43FC24E7AD4219B130E52342476795979A6

Wow, this game's bigger then I thought. I don't even have a Mana bar yet.

Also, that's precision work right there, good job!

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    b) meteor heads floating around in a cramped mining space

I find vilethorn is severely underrated. I keep it in my hotbar at all times, because despite lackluster damage it tells these non-colliding motherfuckers what's up.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    How do servers on this game typically go? There are servers listed in the OP but they're not as persistent as Minecraft, right?

In other words, is somebody like "ok guys my server is made" and everyone joins the clean server with new characters and builds up strength together...or does everyone join with their mains and run around breaking everything and building cooperative megastructures?

Are there built-up servers with tons of structures, or are most servers about playing the game rather than sandboxing?

I have a machine at home with 99% uptime already for my SVN server. I leave TerrariaServer.exe running all the time and host worlds for my RL friends. I just have it passworded to keep dyna-maniacs from blowing up our buildings.

Edit: It's just a free-for-all sandbox, but I make a new world every time an update gets released.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    We used to have a few of us visiting DC's server, but there were diaper licking sorts that would visit to grief us.

I ended up going single player for now. Think there are some that will send private invitations with the correct amount of secret hand signs.

grouch993 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Oh man this is awesome. I just got molten armor. I have jungle armor for above ground if I want to use starfury and have a lot of mana for it. molten armor is so useful for underground since starfury is useless. I have leafblade as a weapon and I want sunfury since my long distance weapons vs underground monsters doesn't exist so that seems like a good weapon. This game is fun :). I am sort of worried about hitting the end soon. I'm at end game and won't be long until I have all the best gear.

Also, what are better close range weapons than leafblade? I'm not sure hmm...

sumwar on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    be on the lookout for other spell weapons that you can use underground, some good ones are the aqua scepter, the demon scythe, and the flamelash

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    grouch993 wrote: »
    We used to have a few of us visiting DC's server, but there were diaper licking Think there are some that will send private invitations with the correct amount of secret hand signs.

I'll probably do the secret handshake thing again once the new patch is out. New characters type situation.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    templewulf wrote: »

I find vilethorn is severely underrated. I keep it in my hotbar at all times, because despite lackluster damage it tells these non-colliding motherfuckers what's up.

I second this. Once I got Vilethorn it's pretty much the only weapon I use, aside from Staff of Regrowth (which I think is pretty much the best melee weapon) and Flamarang/Aqua Scepter on bosses.

Seriously, the bosses in the game are easy as pie now since I got Vilethorn.

Loathing on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    templewulf wrote: »

Oh, holy crap. We have two of those in a chest somewhere. I just looked at the wiki; didn't know they could be that effective. The trickiest part with the meteor heads is when they come at you from below, since they can usually hit you from the floor before you can.

Definitely taking a vilethorn with me next time (though I hope the meteor doesn't crash into the ocean again).

Dusda on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dusda that screenshot is all sorts of ridiculous.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    My first meteor took out half a floating island, which I just finished mining. The second meteor crashed right on the edge of a corrupted area - so now if I choose to go mine it, I get to deal with not only the Meteor Heads, but also the flood of flying assholes from the corrupted area.

Loathing on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Dusda that screenshot is all sorts of ridiculous.
    The things I'll do for a lightsaber...

Dusda on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Why ever did no one warn me that this game was fucking addicting. You guys are evil.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Picture in your mind the eyeball room from Dungeon Keeper 2. The one that kept whispering "join us" and other sly little sayings. (because I couldn't find a clip playing it)

Also cue evil laughter.

grouch993 on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I wish there was a faster way of transporting water/lava.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    Currently you have to carry a bucket for every square of liquid you want, right?

I wonder if/when they are going to add functional blocks for things. I'd love to create a recirculating waterfall using pumps and piping, or combine that with a switch and some retractable panels to create a lava moat security system.

Dusda on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Y'know what I saw in the dev blog? This.

NOT COMING IN 1.0.6.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    Currently you have to carry a bucket for every square of liquid you want, right?

I wonder if/when they are going to add functional blocks for things. I'd love to create a recirculating waterfall using pumps and piping, or combine that with a switch and some retractable panels to create a lava moat security system.

Well, technically instead of heading down into the depths to get lava or to a body of water to get water, you could make an obsidian generator or some similar contraption and then you'll have plenty of water/lava right at your base.

Loathing on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    that bell will be great for my towers

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    MoblizMobliz Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Man, I hope that wooden statue is an armor displaying statue.

Mobliz on
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Loathing wrote: »
    Finally finished my hellavator and....get chased off by a Bone Serpent.

My friend created several hellevators with water at the bottom to save our lives. Drop down one, and hop into another to go down further. I expect that we'll create an express hellevator at some point.

The thing I REALLY hate about hellevators is that quite often, there's monsters that spawn in your way. It's real annoying to land in a pool of water with a jellyfish and mother slime as company. What's even more annoying is a monster getting in your way on the way down, and knocking you off target for landing. I've lost count of the number of times I've died from fall damage in those circumstances.

Dram on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Build background tiles in your hellevators.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Sweet now I have full molten armor/pickaxe/molten hamaxe. Muramasa is the best sword ever!!! Man this game is crazy addictive. I'm trying to get the sunfury but these bone serpents really don't like respawning very often. It looks like its a nice medium range weapon.

sumwar on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is a hellavator just a shaft straight down to hell with a pool of water at the end to break your fall?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    yes

cobwebs work as well

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Or get lucky and get....a Lucky Horseshoe. Found one early on when playing so my hellevator is just a straight shot from the surface to hell, no water landings required.

Current project: Flood the dungeon via a tunnel linking it to the ocean, then mine a shaft from the very bottom of it into Hell, and then flood that. Currently about 40% complete.

Loathing on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    it's a lot simpler to setup a pool of water than to remember to switch out an accessory for the horseshoe and it saves you an inventory space

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

I thought you couldn't replace the dirt background after a certain distance underground?

Dram on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I made this comparison pic. It's probably been done before, just wanted to share it:
    aAPL5.png

Of course, it's not fair at all, since a horizontal comparison would have to compare a couple thousand blocks to an infinite number, but you get the idea. :P

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MoblizMobliz Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dram wrote: »
    I thought you couldn't replace the dirt background after a certain distance underground?

Once you hit the rocky strata you can put background tiles on it without hammering it out. There's a bit at the top of the strata that still needs to be hammered sometimes but from there down the hammer isn't needed.

Mobliz on