As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Terraria! Soon with: Criticals! Inventory Management! FAQ: Its a DEMON ALTAR dammit!

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    woot it worked!

Finally beat that bastard. And wow I lost a lot of shurikens. 79/250 left. 3 bars for starfury helped and the defense potion too.

I've now finally beaten a boss in this game! what the hell should I do with the loot? I have 17 demonite bars. i can craft the sword, axe or bow

I'd personally work towards a Nightmare pick instead of demonite weapons. Have to kill eater of the worlds for some shadow scales, though.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Macro9 wrote:
    woot it worked!

Finally beat that bastard. And wow I lost a lot of shurikens. 79/250 left. 3 bars for starfury helped and the defense potion too.

I've now finally beaten a boss in this game! what the hell should I do with the loot? I have 17 demonite bars. i can craft the sword, axe or bow

I'd personally work towards a Nightmare pick instead of demonite weapons. Have to kill eater of the worlds for some shadow scales, though.

Honestly, even after splitting it with my friend, we found we had a ridiculous amount of demonite after a while, and it doesn't take too much to build the weapons. We had so many lenses, and after you kill the eye the first time, it's not too hard to farm him. Don't forget the eater will drop a ton of demonite in addition to the scales.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Go nightmare pick right away, and the shadow sword maybe. But don't get anything else made of demonite (aside from Shadow armor, but you need the scales to make that anyway).

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Man this patch needs to come out. If not just for the wall building fixes. I hate making houses because of how annoying the walls are.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    They vaguely mentioned that the patch has a lot more to it than they've disclosed, and that the whole thing is meant to balance the game to how they've intended. So really I just want it to land so that I can see the specifics. I probably won't be playing the game again, though, until the patch that puts in the windows and other decor you can build (since it's been clearly stated that's not coming in 1.0.6).

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    so while trying to decide what to do next I made a tunnel drop to hell, got a hellforge and landed on a chest with 21 meteorite bars. The only thing I seem to have enough of it for is to make a lightsaber. I'm wondering if that's a good thing to make or wait to get more of the bars (I assume they make an armor).

Also I'll start farming the eye and, actually I'm not sure where to get the items to make the eater of worlds come out. is it that rotten chunk that makes leather from those little eaters?

Also my dryad won't show up even though I have two empty houses

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    This game seems much easier to finish completely (and consequently lose all interest) than other sandboxes.

I don't know, maybe the fact that there is a longer progression and a few specific goals means that when you reach them, you feel like you won and that's it.

Maybe it's partly because nothing degrades and needs to be repaired or remade - when you've got the best everything, it's forever, which trivializes the combat and exploration to the point where you don't feel like doing it.

Maybe it's because 2D buildings are just less fun to design and build than 3D ones for some reason.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    I agree sporky. I enjoyed the journey, but yesterday I basically mined and crafted two of the best armors in the game, and now I'm just left with boredom. There is just not much else to do other than build, and yeah 2d building is just not as fun as building in minecraft.

Still, it was fun while it lasted

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Man. I bought a four pack of this game on steamsale and gave the other three copies to my friends (who have been terrible friends and not played much), but I love this shit. I think the only reason I'm not playing 24/7 is because it doesn't have better farming. From reading about stuff at release to now, It would be super bitching if this game just continued to meld into a UO/Harvest Moon deal.

My highest progressed character is one piece of armor away from having full gold armor. I've been using the trident and gold broadsword a lot. I currently found an underground jungle and have made a wasp trap to try and get lucky on an item or get enough jungle roses to craft something or get a drop. Havent attempted the eye yet.

Really loving this game holyshit. Is there a cool image database or something that I can browse to get ideas for stuff? I know there is a wiki, but it would be cool to just slideshow through houses and what not.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hah, put this in the wrong thread.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    BTW, if you read MSPA, you've probably already listened to this, but if not, I've found that this album is amazing background music for Terraria when you get sick of the default one (took me about 4 game days).

http://homestuck.bandcamp.com/album/the-wanderers

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Ha!

I have been doing exactly that the past three days

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    This was a labor of love, an homage to the end of an era:

shuttle1.jpg

shuttle2.jpg

shuttle3.jpg

And a shot from the mapviewer, just so you can see it with scale. (The castle was quite the project as well)

shuttle4.jpg

• Options
    Well that's impressive.

And here I was excited about my work in progress castle on a floating island

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    This game is definitely super addictive while it lasts, but I'm not sure why I mined all that hellstone cause then I went and looted the dungeon and there's... just.... nothing left to do. Still, it was amazing for a weekend where I dug a shaft straight down while my roommate explored a cave system and we eventually linked up.

I feel like it simultaneously went too fast (copper, iron, silver... lol) and not fast enough in that I had to kill two bosses to get the demonite axe. That was annoying as shit.

• Options
    Well now that I've killed the eye three times in a couple hours I'm not entirely sure why I was so afraid of him that first time he spawned on me while I was off exploring. Maybe the whole unpreparedness of that first time got to me.

Also broke my first shadow orb and got a musket... the arms dealer still hasn't shown up though.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Well now that I've killed the eye three times in a couple hours I'm not entirely sure why I was so afraid of him that first time he spawned on me while I was off exploring. Maybe the whole unpreparedness of that first time got to me.

Also broke my first shadow orb and got a musket... the arms dealer still hasn't shown up though.
    Did you stuff it in a chest? you have to have it in your inventory for him to spawn

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yeah i had it on me. was playing around shooting at my NPCs then ran off for a while spelunking. He still hasn't show up. There's a vacant room for him too so I don't know what's up

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    My mushroom grass is not growing at all. It's been like an hour. It's at 20 feet below according to the depth meter, and I put down a screens worth of mud
    I wanted to address this. On my current map I couldn't get the mushroom grass to grow while the mud was illuminated by torches and glowsticks. Once I got rid of that crap the grass spread pretty quick.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Made quite a bit of progress tonight. Made a Blade of Grass and Jungle Helm (rest of my armor is gold), encountered and defeated Doctor Bones for a spiffy Archaeologist's Hat, and finally took down the Eye of Cthulu. I almost had him earlier today but couldn't manage to pop a health pot in time. I was well overstocked for this fight; plus my armor, 3 slow health regen items, and Thorn Chakrum made rather quick work of him. Oh, and I finally figured out how to get mana, so I have two stars worth of mana that I can now use with the Magic Mirror I've had since yesterday (found two in chests yesterday, actually). Also managed to find some cool stuff in chests, some of which I'm using and some of which I've outgrown. The double jump cloud sounds really useful if you don't have a Grappling Hook, but I've had one for a while now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    My kids, 8 and 11, decided they wanted to play so I have gifted most of my four pack. We spent the entire weekend playing. Managed to take down the eye a few times, built a corruption arena, but EoW wouldn't arrive there, so we put up platforms and managed to take him down.

We also had a meteorite land and used dynamite to mine it. Ended up with Meteor Hamaxes fairly early on. We have also made it into the top layers of the jungle as a team. So late Sunday night we were sporting ivy whips and the thorn chakrum.

My youngest daughter had set up her first character on hardcore mode, so she had to re-roll her character. Ended up losing a number of hearts and mana upgrades due to it.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Rockin'X and I have made a lot of progress toward combating corrupted wilderness. We've not only stopped the spread coming in from the West, but very noticeably pushed back the boundary, even permanently recovering a large patch which used to border an ebon shaft.

The best tool is really the powder, since you get useful normal stone out of it and it works on many blocks at once. Removing all the nasty backwalls is going to wait for the next patch I think, as they claim it will be sped up. I wish the powder would work on that too and make it normal stone wall.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    IceBurner wrote:
    Rockin'X and I have made a lot of progress toward combating corrupted wilderness. We've not only stopped the spread coming in from the West, but very noticeably pushed back the boundary, even permanently recovering a large patch which used to border an ebon shaft.

The best tool is really the powder, since you get useful normal stone out of it and it works on many blocks at once. Removing all the nasty backwalls is going to wait for the next patch I think, as they claim it will be sped up. I wish the powder would work on that too and make it normal stone wall.
    Just put a non-dirt block between the top of the dirt and the ebonstone to keep it contained to the chasm

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Sorry, I mean the background walls. They don't seem to have any corrupting effect, they're just ugly. We've purified or mined out entire shafts of ebon blocks (not walls) without too much trouble.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    Oh, I didn't realize the powder worked on the background

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It doesn't. I was expressing my wish that it did.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I am so mad at myself for never considering dynamite for meteor mining.

So mad

Also maybe it's me but digging down and collecting enough jewels and offing an orb via dynamite for a meteor and then using a glowy sword to off EoW strikes me as the best way. I mean the hardest part is building the corruption arena but that's not even hard, just time consuming. And honestly it's really only time consuming if you insist on your arena being all pretty like.

Yes I may have spent 6 hours on building an arena a couple of times

• Options
    AllchuffedupAllchuffedup Registered User regular
    2011-07-18_00001.jpg

This was me and an old friend having fun on my biome I'm building way up in the sky.

steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Wait, those aren't pyramids in the desert?

My youngest has been using me as shark bait. Since I have the one pair of fins, I get to swim out and lure sharks back to the shore. Collecting shark fins for water walking potions.

The gravity potion makes traversing the dungeon fun.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    Yeah I had wood instead of glass and was just messing around, was trying to make it look more like a bridge. I think they look like pyramids too now that you mention it!

steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    So do we know when this patch with inventory management is coming? I was nearly about to start up again, but inventory management might be worth the wait.

• Options
    How can your char be flagged as a cheater? I saw something on the forums about it but they never really say what exactly happens.

steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    ...aaaannndd "beaten." Crafted all of the molten gear and went east to fill Skeletron's head with Hellfire Arrows. Onward to dungeons, floating islands, the great blue sea, and creative crafting!

The run up to the fight was a lot of fun. I love the random events that happen in this. Experienced my first Goblin Invasion and it got rather hectic. I went east to meet the army and encountered a scout group, but was given notice that the army arrived shortly after. Odd that we never met up...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So I know I had a bit of fear going into the fighting eye stage of the game, which turned out to be completely unnecessary.

I'm now feeling the same way about the Eater. I really don't know what to expect here. I freaked out the other day when I smashed one of those shadow orbs and a message saying something like "you have a bad feeling" or something similar to that popped up and immediately logged out and back in to get back to my home. Is my fear of this boss just as unfounded as the last one?

(unrelated note I'm wondering if that logging action is why my arms dealer still hasn't shown up even though I have a musket)

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It's probably unfounded. If you want a spoiler:
    It's a big snake thing, basically, but you have to kill ALL the segments, not just the head, and if you kill a body segment, it'll split into two. If you have a slow weapon, you can hit over a dozen segments in a single swing, which is fun. Just give yourself plenty of room for the fight, don't try to fight it in a chasm.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I actually went to kill Eater first with my second character about half way into the fight it got dark I felt an evil presence watching me, it was one crazy boss fight. Luckily I had a Blade of Grass and a Thorn Chakrum.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well that doesn't sound too bad. I actually have the mats to make a phaseblade right now. would that be good for him or is my (whatever the demonite sword is called) up to the challenge?

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    The phaseblade would be better by far.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote:
    So do we know when this patch with inventory management is coming? I was nearly about to start up again, but inventory management might be worth the wait.

I'm in the same boat. I don't want to start a new game and have the patch come in when I'm building some huge awesome thing.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I don't want to start a new game and have the patch come in when I'm building some huge awesome thing.

We can stand in the corner and wait if necessary.