As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for a mouse for gaming

13468921

Posts

  • RobesRobes Registered User regular
    I use a Razer Naga. Love it. Having 3-4 extra abilities near your thumb is pretty nifty. It makes your keyboard hand do way less work.

    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Robes wrote: »
    I use a Razer Naga. Love it. Having 3-4 extra abilities near your thumb is pretty nifty. It makes your keyboard hand do way less work.
    Diablo 3 was kickass with my Naga Epic.

    Left and right mouse buttons did their thing, and the 1-4 abilities were mapped to buttons 1-4 on the side, with button 5 firing my Vent Push to Talk.

    My left hand just had to chat and hold shift down. It was great.

    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • RobesRobes Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Robes wrote: »
    I use a Razer Naga. Love it. Having 3-4 extra abilities near your thumb is pretty nifty. It makes your keyboard hand do way less work.
    Diablo 3 was kickass with my Naga Epic.

    Left and right mouse buttons did their thing, and the 1-4 abilities were mapped to buttons 1-4 on the side, with button 5 firing my Vent Push to Talk.

    My left hand just had to chat and hold shift down. It was great.

    Should have bound shift to one of the mouse buttons!
    It's pretty funny that they made a mouse that you can completely control a game with. Leaves your left hand open to do....things... (i'm a lefty).

    (Not really)

    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Robes wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Robes wrote: »
    I use a Razer Naga. Love it. Having 3-4 extra abilities near your thumb is pretty nifty. It makes your keyboard hand do way less work.
    Diablo 3 was kickass with my Naga Epic.

    Left and right mouse buttons did their thing, and the 1-4 abilities were mapped to buttons 1-4 on the side, with button 5 firing my Vent Push to Talk.

    My left hand just had to chat and hold shift down. It was great.

    Should have bound shift to one of the mouse buttons!
    It's pretty funny that they made a mouse that you can completely control a game with. Leaves your left hand open to do....things... (i'm a lefty).

    (Not really)
    It would be hard to stay stationary while using a 1-4 power if I did that!

    By splitting the functions between the hands more evenly, I feel less confused and I have to float less on my keyboard to hit commands, which means I'm less likely to screw up in an intense fight.

    This is especially true for MMOs, where the 1-0 keys are all mapped to abilities, and then augmented by ctrl and alt for another set of keys.

    I NEVER used ctrl-9 before my Naga, that would have been crazy to float off of WASD to do something, choosing instead to just click the icon. Now I have 30 commands I can hit immediately.

    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Got my G700 today. Simply put, I'm still not sure about spending $80 on a mouse ($50 after a gift card), but I'm really enjoying it now that I have it and quickly adapting to the convenience of having so many buttons. I'm drowning in customization.

    Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    is setpoint not crap anymore? the last time i installed it, it basically destroyed my laptop

    camo_sig.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I've got the Madcatz Rat7 and have been absolutely loving it. I've got big hands and it'll expand out far enough to be very comfortable and with all the weights in it's got a nice heft I enjoy. Very accurate, all the buttons are in great spots, and it's only like 75 bucks. Easily my recommendation if you want a solid mouse.

    wWuzwvJ.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    Got my G700 today. Simply put, I'm still not sure about spending $80 on a mouse ($50 after a gift card), but I'm really enjoying it now that I have it and quickly adapting to the convenience of having so many buttons. I'm drowning in customization.

    Well, the mouse, keyboard and screen are your connections to the machine. I think they're worth of a decent investment, if they offer good things in return.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I also follow that train of thought. No point having a million-dollar super awesome machine of sparkles and sunshine if you interact with it through a monochrome 12 inch monitor and a $7 KBAM combo from the sale bin at Walmart.

  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I also follow that train of thought. No point having a million-dollar super awesome machine of sparkles and sunshine if you interact with it through a monochrome 12 inch monitor and a $7 KBAM combo from the sale bin at Walmart.

    This is the kind of thinking that allowed me to buy a $150 keyboard/mouse combo back in 2006 and it's still running.

    50433.png?1708759015
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    And, on top of that, better screens and KBAM help your health too.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ergonomics is very important, yes.

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Skimping on KBAM and monitors is one of the biggest mistakes people make with their systems. Oh I just spent my entire 3k budget on this awesome mega nitrogen cooled monster beast mode machine...but I am using this Wally World special to interact with it.

    Makes me cringe.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Skimping on KBAM and monitors is one of the biggest mistakes people make with their systems. Oh I just spent my entire 3k budget on this awesome mega nitrogen cooled monster beast mode machine...but I am using this Wally World special to interact with it.

    Makes me cringe.

    MY PEOPLE. ALL OF YOU.
    Says the crazy guy with a keyboard and 2 mice on his desk that cost a combined $300+ =[

    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Skimping on KBAM and monitors is one of the biggest mistakes people make with their systems. Oh I just spent my entire 3k budget on this awesome mega nitrogen cooled monster beast mode machine...but I am using this Wally World special to interact with it.

    Makes me cringe.

    MY PEOPLE. ALL OF YOU.
    Says the crazy guy with a keyboard and 2 mice on his desk that cost a combined $300+ =[

    Hmm...

    Apple wireless keyboard + magic trackpad + razer naga epic... About 250 bucks before tax. And worth every penny.

    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    You all are making my future decision to pick up that Logitech gaming keyboard that's $199 seem like a good idea.

    50433.png?1708759015
  • kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    This thread steered me to the G400 and I am very incredibly pleased. If you're like me and you want a big-boy gaming mouse but kind of don't know what you like, I think it's a fantastic place to start. It is improving my gaming quality of life.

    Also, Setpoint appears to not be utter shite anymore, which is weird. When did that happen?

  • kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    You all are making my future decision to pick up that Logitech gaming keyboard that's $199 seem like a good idea.

    Jesus, this one?: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/g19-keyboard-for-gaming

    Why not this guy?: http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.211651300/categoryId.35156900
    He's cheaper and has clickies.

  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    kingmetal wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    You all are making my future decision to pick up that Logitech gaming keyboard that's $199 seem like a good idea.

    Jesus, this one?: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/g19-keyboard-for-gaming

    Why not this guy?: http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.211651300/categoryId.35156900
    He's cheaper and has clickies.

    I like the 2 powered usb ports on the keyboard, the backlighting and all the other little features it has to offer. The razer one is nice, but I don't care too much about the click or tactile feedback as I've been touch typing 70wpm for years now without it. It's not a definite purchase for me right now, but it *is* something I am looking into as a replacement for my current keyboard.

    50433.png?1708759015
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Oh wow, the BlackWidow now comes in Mac Flavor.

    I didn't need to see that.

    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    So I picked up a Sensei. Very fun to customise, being able to display a picture on the underside of my mouse is what has been missing from my life.

    As far as pros go, being able to customise the lift-off distance is a godsend for me, I've set it at minimum and it's perfect. The feet are huge, so the whole thing slides around nice and smoothly. Fine DPI control is great too, I'm gradually going through my games setting the sensitivity to default and changing the DPI to compensate, which has helped a bunch with Quake Live, amongst other FPSs.

    Con-wise, it's flatter than the Deathadder and thus slightly less comfy for me. Also, the smooth plastic surface gets grubby faster than any mouse I've ever seen. I'd pick up one of the textured ones if I had the choice again.

    Unless like me, you are crazy for low lift-off, I'd stick with the Xai, but overall I am happy with the mouse.

    gBpkw.jpg
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    So on a whim I bought a discount piece (25 cents) of 12 inch marble tile. What a smooooooth mousing surface. Glides like butter. The black, while polished, seems to track just fine. Pretty big difference over just using the wood on my desk.

    Anybody else try some uncontroversial surfaces?

    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Hewn wrote: »
    So on a whim I bought a discount piece (25 cents) of 12 inch marble tile. What a smooooooth mousing surface. Glides like butter. The black, while polished, seems to track just fine. Pretty big difference over just using the wood on my desk.

    Anybody else try some uncontroversial surfaces?

    I never used a mouse pad in college, opting to use my dorm's wooden desk instead. Complete freedom of movement is something I sorely miss.

    I use my iPad as a mouse pad now.

    steam_sig.png
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    Hewn wrote: »
    So on a whim I bought a discount piece (25 cents) of 12 inch marble tile. What a smooooooth mousing surface. Glides like butter. The black, while polished, seems to track just fine. Pretty big difference over just using the wood on my desk.

    Anybody else try some uncontroversial surfaces?

    I never used a mouse pad in college, opting to use my dorm's wooden desk instead. Complete freedom of movement is something I sorely miss.

    I use my iPad as a mouse pad now.

    World's most expensive mouse pad?

    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Logitech-G5-2007.jpg

    I absolutely love my Logitech G5 mouse, unfortunately they are no longer in production.

    I was apparently superseded by the G500.

    Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    No offense, but that mouse is ugly as sin. One of the reasons I can't take Logitech's gaming offerings seriously; they look like 90s Trapper Keeper Folders.

  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Houn wrote: »
    No offense, but that mouse is ugly as sin. One of the reasons I can't take Logitech's gaming offerings seriously; they look like 90s Trapper Keeper Folders.

    If you look closely you can see that there is some texture to the middle of the mouse to keep your hand from slipping. It's really such a great mouse, feels like it fits my hand perfectly.

    I consider looking like a 90s trapper keeper to be a plus. Each to his own I guess.

    You could always get this bad boy.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWiRlR3IlpI

    Man look at that pulse.

    Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If you just gotta have a sleek yet flashy mouse with all the colours and stuff, look no further:
    roccat-kone-plus-mouse-01.jpg

    As for me, the R.A.T. 7 is still my baby. Ugly as a dropped pie, but perfect for me.

  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Anyone waiting for a Logitech G500 it's available new for $50 on Newegg today.

    edit: Also available refurbished for $38 on eBay. I ordered mine here and will report on condition when it arrives (seller seems to have very positive feedback and communication).

    Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • CrumbCrumb Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    I like the 2 powered usb ports on the keyboard, the backlighting and all the other little features it has to offer. The razer one is nice, but I don't care too much about the click or tactile feedback as I've been touch typing 70wpm for years now without it. It's not a definite purchase for me right now, but it *is* something I am looking into as a replacement for my current keyboard.

    You say that now, but I picked up a blackwidow over Christmas. I've been using it to write my dissertation and I am constantly amazed at how much faster I can type with it while being practically error free. When I am forced to use anything else it's typo central. It's made me a true believer in the power of mechanical keyboards when it comes to typing.

    Now, to the topic. The naga is hands down one of the best mice I've ever owned for MMO gaming, but I find myself mostly sticking to 1-7 and binding random things I use infrequently to the last 2 rows.

  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Crumb wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    I like the 2 powered usb ports on the keyboard, the backlighting and all the other little features it has to offer. The razer one is nice, but I don't care too much about the click or tactile feedback as I've been touch typing 70wpm for years now without it. It's not a definite purchase for me right now, but it *is* something I am looking into as a replacement for my current keyboard.

    You say that now, but I picked up a blackwidow over Christmas. I've been using it to write my dissertation and I am constantly amazed at how much faster I can type with it while being practically error free. When I am forced to use anything else it's typo central. It's made me a true believer in the power of mechanical keyboards when it comes to typing.

    Now, to the topic. The naga is hands down one of the best mice I've ever owned for MMO gaming, but I find myself mostly sticking to 1-7 and binding random things I use infrequently to the last 2 rows.

    I will admit there is a curiosity factor I have to mechanical keyboards. I'm still not actively in the market to replace mine, but once I find a job I will then have to think about them. I may, in fact, buy one of each and try them out to see if I notice a difference.

    50433.png?1708759015
  • HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    I've had a G500 for a while but it is just too thin on the right hand side - my pinky doesn't sit properly and it is starting to actually hurt. Can anyone recommend a good replacement? I was thinking maybe the Rat 7?

  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    You all are making my future decision to pick up that Logitech gaming keyboard that's $199 seem like a good idea.

    Not really. Unless you really care about macros it's a giant waste of money. A real man spends that sort of money on a mechanical keyboard.
    If you just gotta have a sleek yet flashy mouse with all the colours and stuff, look no further:
    roccat-kone-plus-mouse-01.jpg

    As for me, the R.A.T. 7 is still my baby. Ugly as a dropped pie, but perfect for me.

    I owned that mouse for a year and got rid of it for a RAT7. The weight just snaps into the bottom and if you play a ton of shooters like me, then after a while the constant picking up and putting back down weakens the weight clip and it'll start popping out on its own. The RAT really is the best thing on the market IMO.

    TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    If my G500 breaks (I seem to get around 5 years out of each Logitech I buy), I'll probably replace it with a RAT.

  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Ordered a RAT7, should be here Thursday. 8->

    RIP MX Revolution :(

  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Caved and picked up a RAT 7 too in time for Diablo 3.

    My MX518 has served me perfectly for 6 years, such a fantastic mouse but I think it deserves a rest now.

    Also less to buy at once when I grab my new PC parts in a few weeks.

    mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hedwirez wrote: »
    I've had a G500 for a while but it is just too thin on the right hand side - my pinky doesn't sit properly and it is starting to actually hurt. Can anyone recommend a good replacement? I was thinking maybe the Rat 7?

    I have a RAT7, and the pinky wing is the greatest thing anyone has ever put on a mouse. It's an incredible shame that it's not adjustable, but it's still awesome. Running my pinky over while moving to the right has always been a huge pet peeve of mine.

    TheCanMan on
  • TheGingerTheGinger Registered User regular
    I had a rat 5, the first one only lasted a couple of months, however it was happily replaced hassle free which was a bonus and the new one has been going strong ever since. Well recommended.

  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    I use the G700 and love it, before I had the Lachesis, but it had some weird tracking problems where it would occasionally only register the x or the y axis of input. Died so many times to that.

    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Namel3ss wrote: »
    I use the G700 and love it, before I had the Lachesis, but it had some weird tracking problems where it would occasionally only register the x or the y axis of input. Died so many times to that.
    The Lachesis has so many things wrong with it. For instance, one of the potential solutions to the cursor jumping is to remove the silver sticker surrounding the sensor.

    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
Sign In or Register to comment.