As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] on the Roof

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Our group has always balanced around tonnage (but most of us played only back when we were very young, and are just getting back into it). We've never tried balancing around BV, but, that does make a lot of sense to balance around. What's a good BV to shoot for to have a decent lance v lance fight?

Depends on what kind of tech you want to bring to the table.

EG: A lance vs. lance fight of 3025 era Inner Sphere medium mechs is probably 3000-4000 BV. Heavy clan mechs would be more like 10000 I think (edit: since for clan it would be a star not a lance make that 12-13k).

Clan is just so crazy strong. We've always played Inner Sphere so the slugfests between the mechs go longer. Thanks for the guesstimate for the BV range.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Quid wrote: »
    I'm really dumb and my friends aren't really that nerdy.

How do you even play Shadowrun and DnD?

You don't have to be nerdy to play the latest dnd version. It's a board game that lets you do whatever the hell you want.

Can I have sex with you?

/rolls

Critical Miss, I have sex with Feral again. :(

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mim wrote: »
    Green Lantern is indeed pictures in rapid series as to give the impression of motion.

The movie that just came out? I guess...I was more concerned about the volume in the theater. I saw it at midnight though so that might have been my problem.
    I meant that it was a thing that existed and that there were actors who played parts in a thematic setting, such as to provide entertainment for those that watched it.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    BTW, Cinders, I have you at 13380 nuyen, so I don't know if there's another thing you forgot to put on the list.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Our group has always balanced around tonnage (but most of us played only back when we were very young, and are just getting back into it). We've never tried balancing around BV, but, that does make a lot of sense to balance around. What's a good BV to shoot for to have a decent lance v lance fight?

EG: A lance vs. lance fight of 3025 era Inner Sphere medium mechs is probably 3000-4000 BV. Heavy clan mechs would be more like 10000 I think (edit: since for clan it would be a star not a lance make that 12-13k).

Clan is just so crazy strong. We've always played Inner Sphere so the slugfests between the mechs go longer. Thanks for the guesstimate for the BV range.

What are you talking about?

Is this some type of 3D simulation of robotic fighting vehicles attacking each other with high-tech weaponry?

Can I play?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Why can't you have sex with the girl?

I tried this when we first met. (Over an online dating site, btw) Asked her out, she was all "oh, I'm not really looking for a relationship right now, just friends."

A week later, she was sending me shirtless photos of her new physical trainer boyfriend. :?

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

From a game design point of view they introduced the clan tech to make a variant of the game that plays quicker.

The mechs are faster, pack way more weapons, weapons each do more damage and the pilots are more accurate. However, the max limit on the amount of armor you can pack on for a mech of a given weight is exactly the same.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so catch me if you can is a really good movie

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Is this some type of 3D simulation of robotic fighting vehicles attacking each other with high-tech weaponry?

Can I play?

It's a tabletop game. There is also a crude but workable 2d java implementation here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/megamek/

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    South host wrote: »

I tried this when we first met. (Over an online dating site, btw) Asked her out, she was all "oh, I'm not really looking for a relationship right now, just friends."

A week later, she was sending me shirtless photos of her new physical trainer boyfriend. :?

At the risk of sounding misogynistic, why are you still talking to her?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Can I play?

Yes!

On a table

With lots of dice to roll

And tables of the other sort to consult

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I promise you, South Host, one day you will get the booty

Mim on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The only thing I know about the Clans in Mechwarrior is the intro movie from Mechwarrior 3, when the guy in the Vulture goes "die, Clanner", and then the Thor gets hit with missiles.

South host on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rent wrote: »

It truly is a classic. The way DiCaprio and Hanks play off of each other is amazing.

I especially love the Pan Am scenes. I'm really looking forward to that new series(Pan Am) they're doing on ABC. I just love shit from that era.

Also I heard the broadway version of CMIYC is really good. If that's your sort of thing.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    electricity: We are talking about battletech, which is a tabeltop mech wargame with usually around 4-5 mechs on a side.

Riemann: That actually makes perfect sense then, and i can see why people would actually go for it, because our last game did take like 4 dang hours (admittedly it was one players first time [we were playing 2v2, 2 mechs per]) so I can see the appeal of a faster game.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The only thing I know about the Clans in Mechwarrior is the intro movie from Mechwarrior 3, when the guy in the Vulture goes "die, Clanner", and then the Thor gets hit with missiles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X3GD0UnBCk

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited June 2011

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    I'm really dumb and my friends aren't really that nerdy.

How do you even play Shadowrun and DnD?

You don't have to be nerdy to play the latest dnd version. It's a board game that lets you do whatever the hell you want.

Can I have sex with you?

/rolls

Critical Miss, I have sex with Feral again. :!:

I know right?!

Quid on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sup [chat]!

We didn't have regular game last night, DM couldn't make it. One of the players bought Shootin' Ladders.

I highly. HIGHLY. Recommend that game. Fun as fuck.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited June 2011

At the risk of sounding misogynistic, why are you still talking to her?

Except for when she does stuff like this, she's really nice. And I can actually talk politics with her, since her views are very similar to mine.

South host on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

It truly is a classic. The way DiCaprio and Hanks play off of each other is amazing.

I especially love the Pan Am scenes. I'm really looking forward to that new series(Pan Am) they're doing on ABC. I just love shit from that era.

Also I heard the broadway version of CMIYC is really good. If that's your sort of thing.

I love that movie. I related to Leo! First time I realized he was a good actor too.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Eddy wrote: »

I love that movie. I related to Leo! First time I realized he was a good actor too.

Its like when Brad Pitt did 12 Monkies and everyone realized he wasn't just that wanker from Legends of the Fall.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Eddy wrote: »

It's also one of my favorite Christopher Walken roles.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I was gonna say something about Walken too, but the first 30 or so minutes goes by almost too fast. Walken was fantastic in the bank scene though.

Eddy on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Why does he only shoot the second mech with machine guns when he has ppcs?

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Man, I got into Battletech back in, like, 96? 97 maybe? I don't remember. But, yeah, at least 14 years playing it. I think I actually played the TT game maybe four times, in all those years.

I always just built 'mechs. That was fun enough, for me.

Tox on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Elldren wrote: »
    BTW, Cinders, I have you at 13380 nuyen, so I don't know if there's another thing you forgot to put on the list.
    Start with 100,000
    Sin rating 4 * 2 : 8,000
    Armor Clothing : 500
    Yamaha Pulsar : 150
    Hammerli 620s : 650
    AR Gloves : 250
    Tailored pheromones rating 3 : 45,000
    Cybereyes Rating 3 : 1,000
    Vision Enhancement rating 3 : 4,500
    Empathy Sensor : 3,000
    High Lifestyle : 10,000
    Honda Spirit : 10,000
    Concealable Holster : 75
    Basic Doc wagon for 1 year : 5,000
    Taser darts * 10 : 50
    Regular Ammo * 30 : 60
    gel rounds * 20 : 60

I'm ending up with 11,705 nuyen.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    When he tells the feds about how he would never ever help them find his son I got goosebumps.
    Then he leaves key evidence out in the open. I could never figure out if he did that on purpose. Knowing that his son needed to be caught in order to have a chance at living a normal life.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    evilbob wrote: »

Why does he only shoot the second mech with machine guns when he has ppcs?

He doesn't want to overheat. duh

Tox on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I promise you, South Host, one day you will get the booty

Meh, I do not require consolation. I'm reading Nedroid now, so all is well.

Also, since everyone is posting them, this is my favorite Mechwarrior video. I think I just like how the guy talks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qZvYwmgCHc

South host on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Cinders wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Start with 100,000
    Sin rating 4 * 2 : 8,000
    Armor Clothing : 500
    Yamaha Pulsar : 150
    Hammerli 620s : 650
    AR Gloves : 250
    Tailored pheromones rating 3 : 45,000
    Cybereyes Rating 3 : 1,000
    Vision Enhancement rating 3 : 4,500
    Empathy Sensor : 3,000
    High Lifestyle : 10,000
    Honda Spirit : 10,000
    Concealable Holster : 75
    Basic Doc wagon for 1 year : 5,000
    Taser darts * 10 : 50
    Regular Ammo * 30 : 60
    gel rounds * 20 : 60

I'm ending up with 11,705 nuyen.

I see the discrepancy. Where are you getting 3k for the empathy software? I have 600

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    [chat] I can't decide what comics to get D:

I mean, my dad collects all the superhero comics so I'm practically set there. I need independent comics..

Mim on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Feeling way too ill to go out tonight. Tomorrow is going to be a friend's 21st though. I'm buying two bottles of utter shit vodka for him specifically so I'll be the only one drinking out of those. I'll make my moves on whoever is trashy enough to request shots from bottom shelf liquor.

Eddy on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sensor software is rating * 500 for up to rating 6.

Cinders on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man Mechwarrior 2 always had that one screen that showed the timeline info from books and shit but you could never unlock them all even if you became Il-Khan.

Lame.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    [chat] I can't decide what comics to get D:

I mean, my dad collects all the superhero comics so I'm practically set there. I need independent comics..

Knights of the Dinner Table

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Cinders wrote: »
    Sensor software is rating * 500 for up to rating 6.

hmm... I am checking

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.