As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[True Blood]...what is going on?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Astns wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I don't understand why Eric, who implied he knew that magic and necromancy specifically was some serious business just stood there and let them cast their amnesia voodoo on him.

He did not expect them to have that much power. Plus, once magic starts rolling, it's totally possible he was held in place by the spell or something. And presumably, he
    may have recognized whoever was speaking through the witch lady. Who is..evil? Yes? Probably? We taking bets on what happened to him? I'm wondering if they restored his pre-vampire mind, rather than just amnesia.

And why don't the monsters just run away while Sailor Moon is giving her speech?
    My issue lies with the way it was set up. In Eric and Bill's conversation he gives the strong impression that he takes necromancy very seriously, Bill told him that they had the power to reanimate a bird and it stopped him in his tracks. He then goes to the coven and allows them to direct that power at him with no regard. It seems a little clumsy is all.

I'm pretty sure it was too late by that point. Necromancy is probably really disconcerting to a vampire.

What he's saying is that
    why did he go to the coven, or let him go to the coven after saying "Oh these people are really dangerous to us." The only thing I can think of is that Bill was hoping for something bad to happen to Eric to get him out of Sookie's house. So he sent him to the lion's den.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't understand why Eric, who implied he knew that magic and necromancy specifically was some serious business just stood there and let them cast their amnesia voodoo on him.

He did not expect them to have that much power. Plus, once magic starts rolling, it's totally possible he was held in place by the spell or something. And presumably, he
    may have recognized whoever was speaking through the witch lady. Who is..evil? Yes? Probably? We taking bets on what happened to him? I'm wondering if they restored his pre-vampire mind, rather than just amnesia.

And why don't the monsters just run away while Sailor Moon is giving her speech?
    My issue lies with the way it was set up. In Eric and Bill's conversation he gives the strong impression that he takes necromancy very seriously, Bill told him that they had the power to reanimate a bird and it stopped him in his tracks. He then goes to the coven and allows them to direct that power at him with no regard. It seems a little clumsy is all.

I'm pretty sure it was too late by that point. Necromancy is probably really disconcerting to a vampire.

What he's saying is that
    why did he go to the coven, or let him go to the coven after saying "Oh these people are really dangerous to us." The only thing I can think of is that Bill was hoping for something bad to happen to Eric to get him out of Sookie's house. So he sent him to the lion's den.
    I think they didn't believe the coven was an immediate threat. Making a bird fly for a second isn't full-blown necromancy, and that was assumed to be the height of their abilities.

As far as Eric was concerned, he was going after them before they could actually do him harm.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

What he's saying is that
    I think they didn't believe the coven was an immediate threat. Making a bird fly for a second isn't full-blown necromancy, and that was assumed to be the height of their abilities.

As far as Eric was concerned, he was going after them before they could actually do him harm.

Yeah, that.
    Basically the whole operation was to disperse the witches before they started doing serious necromancer shit. Of course, Bill would not cry tears of blood if Northman got himself fucked over by witches, but I don't think he'd thought it'd gone that far yet.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

What he's saying is that

That's what I got from it. I imagine that if he was actually concerned he would have torn through the place in a whirlwind of blood, or killed them in their sleep, or arranged 'accidents'. Bottom line, they would be dead.

The first one is actually what I was expecting. Thought he was going to tear through the place, while Tara was outside, and spare Lafayette assuming he was Bill's spy and since he'd been a useful pawn in the past. Lafayette would then witch-out and try to raise Jesus, and we'd have been setup for a season of zombie Jesus and a vengeful necromancer teaming up with MMA Tara to go all Van Helsing on shit.

Oh well, there's still time.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, either that Marnie actress was amazing with the facial expressions or they did some sort of CGI thing with her when she was channelling
    Eddie.
    That shit was spot-on.

I was gonna comment on this as well, but you nailed it. I freaked the fuck out in that scene. Helluva actress, I didn't notice any obvious CGI.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    Man, either that Marnie actress was amazing with the facial expressions or they did some sort of CGI thing with her when she was channelling
    Eddie.
    That shit was spot-on.

I was gonna comment on this as well, but you nailed it. I freaked the fuck out in that scene. Helluva actress, I didn't notice any obvious CGI.

To be fair, it is Fiona fucking Shaw.

She's been straight-up awesome for nigh on to thirty years.

Her credits go on for pages. From a one-woman stage version of T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land to Harry Potters 1,2,3,5,6 & 7.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    Eddie.
    That shit was spot-on.

To be fair, it is Fiona fucking Shaw.

She's been straight-up awesome for nigh on to thirty years.

Her credits go on for pages. From a one-woman stage version of T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land to Harry Potters 1,2,3,5,6 & 7.

Is it bad that I only recognized her from the live action Super Mario Brothers? Then I realized she was from Harry Potter.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you're a bad-ass vampire dude and you hear about someone who gets the idea to try to make you have a bad day but you don't realize they are also bad ass at making vampire dudes have bad days.

You'd probably stroll into the room like a bad-ass vampire dude and try to intimidate them into not ruining your day before going ape shit crazy.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I agree with what someone else said earlier

Ep 2
    Tommy is going to try and steal Sam's life. Also Jason is a werepanther now I guess. So on top of his already existing super power (the best power of all, super sexiness) he can now turn into a panther!

Also the coven thing, you would think the second anyone finds out what happened to Eric, every single person there would be found dead within a night.

p.s. I really like Alexander Skarsgard. Not only is he great as Eric but he is hot as hell too. This is from a straight dude.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sex Panther

;)

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sex Panther

;)

I_see_what_you_did_there_cat_RE_More_funnies_for_you_all-s480x360-106842-580.jpg
    You'd probably stroll into the room like a bad-ass vampire dude and try to intimidate them into not ruining your day before going ape shit crazy.

Annnnnnnnnnd how!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I am glad someone agrees that the method of handling that situation wasn't too odd.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I am glad someone agrees that the method of handling that situation wasn't too odd.

Also, if he went too crazy on too many people, it would've really upset Sookie, and made his roommate situation really uncomfortable.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Episode 2 spoiler:
    I don't understand why Eric, who implied he knew that magic and necromancy specifically was some serious business just stood there and let the coven cast their amnesia voodoo on him.
    I don't think it was mentioned how powerful Marnie - or Luna, or whoever that is - is. Basically got caught with his pants down.

The promo "The Blood Is Back" suggests that there are some consequences for characters, as well as gives some glimpses into "whats to come. . ."

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Re: Ep 2 witch stuff
    Eric (probably rightly) assumed that the leader was the only one who could really do anything to him, so as long as he got rid of her, he could easily control the situation. He didn't realise that Lafayette had so much power in him, and Lafayette wasn't even willing to interfere until Tara got involved.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ep2:
    Eric just standing there can be made plausible by MAGIC, what can't be made plausible in the episode is why the Queen just stood there and got shot with being told they were going to be wooden bullets. You got super speed, bitch, use it.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hoz wrote: »
    Ep2:
    Eric just standing there can be made plausible by MAGIC, what can't be made plausible in the episode is why the Queen just stood there and got shot with being told they were going to be wooden bullets. You got super speed, bitch, use it.

Meh, she might have escaped if she had tried but she still would have been fucked. It seems that you don't want to fuck with the AVL. One thing is why the hell was she tracking Bill down to join the American Vampire League while he was in London? You would think that instead of just a national body they would have tried to create a world governing body. This would have given more credibility to their cause (enforcing certain rules on all vampires, not just the American ones = less killing etc) and a platform for vampire rights worldwide.
    Anyway I hope Eric gets back to normal. He doesn't seem bro-ish enough in his current form.

Avicus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That's exactly what she was doing. She directly said so to him. At that time, there wasn't even any mention of the AVL. Also, that's a pretty big episode 2 spoiler, isn't it?

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Avicus wrote: »
    Hoz wrote: »
    Ep2:

Meh, she might have escaped if she had tried but she still would have been fucked. It seems that you don't want to fuck with the AVL. One thing is why the hell was she tracking Bill down to join the American Vampire League while he was in London? You would think that instead of just a national body they would have tried to create a world governing body. This would have given more credibility to their cause (enforcing certain rules on all vampires, not just the American ones = less killing etc) and a platform for vampire rights worldwide.
    Anyway I hope Eric gets back to normal. He doesn't seem bro-ish enough in his current form.

I was under the impression that the AVL pretty much controlled vampires everywhere, that AVL was just their name and public image. We know they are
    behind Tru Blood, from Japan
    . Their reach clearly exceeds the US.

They don't want the human populace to know how organized and powerful they really are.

One thing we haven't gotten much of from the series is
    top down level perspective. I'm interested in how the public and government have reacted to Edginton - presumably the FBI et al would want a few vamps as consultants or staff so they could at least have someone on hand who knows what the fuck they're dealing with. Maybe I just want to watch vampire cops solving vampire crimes, I dunno.

override367 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Maybe I just want to watch vampire cops solving vampire crimes, I dunno.

nick_duo.jpg?

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Episode 2 questions (thanks Comcast On-Demand!):
    Was I the only one who wanted to scream at Bill's witch to keep the damn glasses on? :winky:

On a more serious note, it seems odd that she would just happen to not be there when Eric raids the coven. I hope the other witches notice that.

So Bill's been working with the AVL for 20+ years, but he tells Sookie that Eric has friends in high places? Something seems off there.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Was I the only one who wanted to scream at Bill's witch to keep the damn glasses on? :winky:

On a more serious note, it seems odd that she would just happen to not be there when Eric raids the coven. I hope the other witches notice that.

So Bill's been working with the AVL for 20+ years, but he tells Sookie that Eric has friends in high places? Something seems off there.
    Bill explicitly told her not to go anymore.

schuss on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Being much older -- and, until recently, having much more authority -- than Bill, it's likely that Eric knows a lot of important vampires. Maybe he's friends with a king whose support is needed to strengthen the AVL.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    schuss wrote: »

Bill explicitly told her not to go anymore.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.
    I did notice that...but it just seems like she'd be a likely suspect if the coven goes on a...witch hunt. 8-)

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Nibble wrote: »
    Being much older -- and, until recently, having much more authority -- than Bill, it's likely that Eric knows a lot of important vampires. Maybe he's friends with a king whose support is needed to strengthen the AVL.

Yeah there's still a lot about the vampire folks that we don't know. I mean consider how powerful Godric was and his lack of affiliations.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ugh, I hate it when HBOGO does this, it was a pain in the ass to be aware of the GoT thread when the discussion was dominated by a episode that pretty much on US viewers had seen and its the same in this thread.

Oh and you used my old OP, even dusted it off and spruced it up, thanks :)

You know what the worst part of the first episode was for me?
    Watching a former bell hop eat the fae "fruit", I really liked that character, even though he wasn't a main.

Its going to be pretty interesting to find out what dirty trick Bill pulled to beat the Queen, that stone cold dead fox. It kinda bugs me the show didn't keep the unique bodyguards that heads of vampire political structures had, maybe they thought Vampire: The Masquerade wouldn't like it? Who knows.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Yeah there's still a lot about the vampire folks that we don't know. I mean consider how powerful Godric was and his lack of affiliations.

Yeah I was about to mention Godric. While it is of course insane that a small amount of such powerful vampires would all reside in roughly the same place (Paris or London it ain't), it's not unreasonable that they'd be able to pull hella strings.

At least enough strings for this kind of "yeah you're king but I'm still all cool and powerful and shit" stuff that is going on.

Julius on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    they didnt reside in the same place, godric was in Texas and Edginton was in Mississippi (?)

override367 on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Julius wrote: »

Yeah I was about to mention Godric. While it is of course insane that a small amount of such powerful vampires would all reside in roughly the same place (Paris or London it ain't), it's not unreasonable that they'd be able to pull hella strings.

At least enough strings for this kind of "yeah you're king but I'm still all cool and powerful and shit" stuff that is going on.

I could see the actual political structure as being a young man's game. You're a few hundred years old now, you can finally tell people what to do, it's great. But when you're a couple thousand years old, maybe you're a little sick of it, or maybe you were never in to it to begin with and still think of it as a silly game that children play. You're a demigod, you certainly don't need their power structure for protection, and those who do would be fools to deny you a favor.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I could see the actual political structure as being a young man's game. You're a few hundred years old now, you can finally tell people what to do, it's great. But when you're a couple thousand years old, maybe you're a little sick of it, or maybe you were never in to it to begin with and still think of it as a silly game that children play. You're a demigod, you certainly don't need their power structure for protection, and those who do would be fools to deny you a favor.

You're probably right, but then again vampires with power probably only want one thing. More power. There could be a huge lust for them as animals to be the puppet master, and even though themselves go beyond that scale of "power structure", it's still nice to have that image to put fear and respect in to those who follow that structure.

Regarding Bill in Ep 2...
    He saw incentive in joining the AVL because they're the ones in power. Not only that but they're the ones who saw interest in Bill, not the other way around. So he played along, and he had a huge upper hand because of the way he treated(treats) humans.

A vampire like Eric who acts like every other vampire out there, probably has better contacts underground but not very many powerful political contacts.

tl;dr - Power is power no matter how you look at it,
    Bill is a better posterboy, AVL saw it so he gets king over a vampire like Eric.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I still want to know more about the hierarchy for vampires still. We know that it goes Sheriff then King/Queen. It seems that the Magister was a judge of sorts that adjudicated all of North America.

Ep 2
    The AVL lady had the power to make Bill King of Louisiana. Does this mean that she is a rank that is higher?

Who or what is The Authority? Is it a single vampire, the first vampire? Is it a concept I have no idea?

Avicus on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pretty sure we got a shot of the Authority (handful of presumably vampires) sitting around a half circle table in suits watching a big TV screen one time. When they 'silvered' Eric maybe? It was fairly lame, so hopefully they retcon that.

Episode 2 and Eric:
    He did get taken by surprise, but it was his arrogance that let it happen. Typical vampire (and everyone else with powers) problem, though, ala the stupid queen. They all stand there like pompous morons all the time when they should never stop moving.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pretty sure AVL is like a vampire version of Bilderberg Group and The Authority is like the vampire version of the UN for the Kings/Queens. The vampire part is a pretty big distinction though, international politics and diplomacy for humans is some pretty evil stuff, imagine the depths of depravity vampires accept as the norm. Hell, they probably have things like the AVL and The Authority kicking around just so they don't kill each other all off, reducing their population numbers drastically. Remember the trouble Bill got in for killing the Amerindian Vamp? Now think of all the vamps who have died since the first season. Vamps don't seem to be turning humans into vampires fast enough to account for their behaviour, I bet.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Pretty sure AVL is like a vampire version of Bilderberg Group and The Authority is like the vampire version of the UN for the Kings/Queens. The vampire part is a pretty big distinction though, international politics and diplomacy for humans is some pretty evil stuff, imagine the depths of depravity vampires accept as the norm. Hell, they probably have things like the AVL and The Authority kicking around just so they don't kill each other all off, reducing their population numbers drastically. Remember the trouble Bill got in for killing the Amerindian Vamp? Now think of all the vamps who have died since the first season. Vamps don't seem to be turning humans into vampires fast enough to account for their behaviour, I bet.

I think the turning everyone into vampires story arc is overdone, and I'm glad they don't pursue that too often. Blade, Daybreakers, Blade 2 even, John Carpenter's Vampires, The Forsaken. Those are just off the top of my head.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Episode 2 was really lackluster I thought.

The whole
    Bill being king and lying about Sookie seems very uncompelling. Like it was his plan the whole time in season 3 to become king? I just never saw that part of him in any of the previous seasons. Yeah he had ulterior motives for getting to "know" Sookie, but being king seems out of left field.

On the otherhand though
    It seems cool that people can actually be a threat to vampires instead of trying to ambush them while they sleep or else be food.

There is something missing this season so far and I just don't know what it is.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    About that first spoiler
    I really don't think Bill even cared that much. He's just be doing his own thing and the AVL says "btw do this" and he hardly goes out of his way and ends up getting a huge benefit. So I think it's pretty reasonable not to see that "part" of him because it's not in him. He's just being Bill and that just happens to be the sort of person the AVL needs.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

You're probably right, but then again vampires with power probably only want one thing. More power. There could be a huge lust for them as animals to be the puppet master, and even though themselves go beyond that scale of "power structure", it's still nice to have that image to put fear and respect in to those who follow that structure.

Regarding Bill in Ep 2...
    He saw incentive in joining the AVL because they're the ones in power. Not only that but they're the ones who saw interest in Bill, not the other way around. So he played along, and he had a huge upper hand because of the way he treated(treats) humans.

A vampire like Eric who acts like every other vampire out there, probably has better contacts underground but not very many powerful political contacts.

tl;dr - Power is power no matter how you look at it,
    Bill is a better posterboy, AVL saw it so he gets king over a vampire like Eric.

spoilered for length and all that.
    I think Bill being the better posterboy is true and that that is actually why Eric can treat him like that. Even though he is King it's Eric who has the better connections. It's just that Eric doesn't use it for any political gain.

Julius on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    New episode tonight for those who haven't already seen it on HBO Go! I'll probably end up watching it again just to make sure I caught everything.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    aw crap i forgot HBO Go spoiled me.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    aw crap i forgot HBO Go spoiled me.

Lol, I know right. I don't even have the info for HBO Go, my friend does for his apartment though so I watched it over there last week. It was kind of crappy though, I guess lots of people were watching it cause the quality kept going up and down and it kept freezing every 20 minutes or so.

The episode's worth watching a second time.

KoopahTroopah on