As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Might and Magic: Heroes VI demo is here, Check OP for link. Game is out!

TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
Might and Magic: Heroes VI Demo is here!

heroesvip.jpg

So what is Heroes VI?

Heroes VI is a prequel to Heroes of Might and Magic V and if you don't know this series you should really give it a shot.

FACTIONS (Descriptions from ubi.com's site in italics)

Everyone knows the biggest part of any Heroes game is its factions, so lets see what Heroes VI has in store for us:

HAVEN

Haven%20-%20Towntcm2111725.png

Haven troops are composed of both human champions, like knights and priests, and mythical creatures like griffins and angels. They make excellent defensive fighters, and are legendary for getting their enemies to fight on the ground of their choosing. They often win in the long run by resisting their opponents’ assaults and preserving the freshness of their troops.

havensoldier.jpg

Haven is your typical religious order group that stands opposed to the forces of the demons of the infernals. Some people consider them stock or boring, but they do have some aces up their sleeves. Tend to favour defensive, healing and light magic.

INFERNO

Inferno%20-Towntcm2111723.png

The entire nation of Demons is an army. Each one lives only to raven and destroy, and is quite capable of wreaking tremendous havoc on his own. Forged together into a disciplined army, they would be nearly unstoppable. Fortunately for their enemies, instilling that discipline is harder than it looks, and the lesser demons often need to be driven along by massive.

infernogi.jpg

Demons, demons and demons. These are the typical badguys, locked underground and angry at everyone else. They tend to value personal freedom, but also at the same time they really don't care if their freedom infringes upon your freedoms. They live the "strong survives and weak perishes" type mantra.

NECROPOLIS

Necropolis%20-%20Towntcm2111724.png

Necropolis troops are mainly composed of “puppet” undead units like skeletons and ghouls, controlled by necromancers, but also of more powerful entities like vampires and liches. They are slow but literally unstoppable, for killing what is already dead is not an easy matter and will often take time. Time that Necropolis will conscientiously exploit to slowly erode the body and dominate the spirit of their enemy.

necropolist.jpg

A very interesting faction, as necropolis uses undead units, but favours balance and order, following the death aspect of the dragon god of order. They also fight against the demons, but are very protective of their lands and will attack other nations if provoked. Some also seek to control the living, but most of them desire to live in peace and study necromancy.

STRONGHOLD

Stronghold%20Towntcm2112381.jpg

Orcs were created as shock troops to fight Demons, and their tactics reflect this. Lightly armored and heavily armed, they rush straight at the enemy, counting on their numbers, speed, ferocity and toughness to break the lines of the opposing army without suffering too many casualties. Due to their origins, Orcs are naturally resistant to magic and especially to magic wielded by Demons (fire, possession, illusions…).

orcsq.jpg

Orcs orcs orcs! Orcs were created to fight demons, and as such are good at it. Enslaved by wizards and sometimes other humans they are also distrustful of most other races. However their instinctual hatred of demons is overriding and they will often drop whatever they are doing to go fight them. They are tribal and magic resistant.

SANCTUARY

Might%20and%20Magic%20Heroes%20VI%20%20Sanctuary%20Townstcm2114210.jpg

Sanctuary generals are like Chess Masters, or disciples of Sun Tzu’s Art of War. They focus their efforts on a main attacking stack (referred to as the “Champion” hereafter), who potentially becomes the best “1 to 1 / duel” warrior of the game. Generally, this Champion will aim at the strongest enemy stack first, to fuel its racial ability.

Alternatively, other targets can be favored, depending on the enemy army’s mobility. The one thing to remember is that the safety and efficiency of the Champion stack must be assured at all times since the global strategy relies on it.

sanctuaryo.jpg

Sanctuary is like naga and serpent people combined with asian culture. They are brand new to the heroes series as of this game and will be very interesting to see how they play, as they are the newcomers. Appear to focus on targetting strong units first, as well as protecting your own strong units.

So this game comes out in September and I am quite looking forward to trying it. Beta contains 3 single player scenarios as well as "Hot-seat" Multiplayer only. Full multiplayer will be in the full release, but they may add it towards the end in order to stress test it.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Heroes of Might and Magic 6 Minimum System Rquirements

*Processor: Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 2.0 Ghz / AMD Athlon X2 5000+ @ 2.6 Ghz
*Memory Ram: 1 GB @ Windows XP / 1.5GB @ Vista / 7
*Hard Disk Space: 8 GB
*Video: 512 MB
*Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
*DirectX: 9.0c
*Keyboard / Mouse

Heroes of Might and Magic 6 Recommended System Rquirements

*Processor: Intel Pentium Core 2 @ Duo E6400 @ 2.13 Ghz / AMD Athlon II X2 240 @ 2.8 Ghz
*Memory Ram: 2 GB
*Hard Disk Space: 8 GB
*Video: 1 GB
*Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
*DirectX: 9.0c
*Keyboard / Mouse

TheGerbil on

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm very interested in this, but it seems to have almost no exposure. Anyone put some time into the beta yet? Does it still scratch that HoMM itch?

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Closed beta appears to have just started today. I will try it when I get home from work (which will not be until late tonight) and see if I can get enough in to post some impressions.

Pretty pleased Ubisoft decided to make a sequel, I wasn't sure they were going to.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd like to betafy this, but I don't want to pre-order because I don't know if my computer can handle it...which is why I'd like the beta. ZOMG VICIOUS CYCLE!

Hopefully there will be an open beta or demo later. I'm leaning away from this, which I find surprising given that I've bought every HOMM game and expansion since 3.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am excited for this game but I haven't heard anything about it.

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I get tired of the combat system in any Heroes game after a few hours. It's just so damn repetitive and uninteresting. Of all the turn-based combat systems that have been used since the dawn of gaming, why is it only this one that has still survived in PC gaming? It's a sick cosmic joke.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I threw the system requirements in the first post. When I get some time I will add some stuff relating to the story as well as the new features to this game.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, this "preorder now and get in the beta!" shit has got to end.

I'm really tempted to buy this because I love HoMM. But I hated the last one. But this one looks kind of like King's Bounty, which was awesome.

I wish that someone that's going to buy it no matter what would take one for the team and let us know if it's any good. Is the beta basically full access, except with bugs?

hjparcins on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Beta is 3 single player missions, as well as some limited multiplayer. You can find the details on ubisofts site. I am downloading the beta as we speak and will let you know.

I loved HoMM V though so you may not agree with my opinions.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Beta is 3 single player missions, as well as some limited multiplayer. You can find the details on ubisofts site. I am downloading the beta as we speak and will let you know.

So long as you loved HoMM 2 and 3 as well, we're cool. <3

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Vi Monks wrote: »

So long as you loved HoMM 2 and 3 as well, we're cool. <3

Well yeah, I loved most of them (excepting 4).

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    no dungeon? :shock:

guess i'll play the naga people then :?

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah kind of a wierd couple of races to play.

I really liked the last Might and Magic. It was really long and a good value, even if slightly repetitive. I liked how the heroes abilities interacted with the armies, though some were definately more powerful than others.

The expansion campaigns could be really challenging, the original campagin was pretty much just build up a huge army and smash it against the CPUs. If you win that one fight, then senario won, else senario lost.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No Dungeons = No Dragons = No Fun = No Buy

I love the HoMM series, but 5 was kinda 'eh, alright' to me. Four was slightly worse, but three is where I think they perfected the formula. Maybe I should reinstall 5 and give it a go again. Not sure I'd want to spend $50 for this game yet, though.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm in the same boat. 2 and 3 were the pinnacles of the series. 4 was not that great, and 5 tried to bring back the excitement. Succeeded in some places, but it felt like it lacked something that 2 and 3 had that made them feel special.

No Dungeon also means no Tower, which means no Titans and death by destructive ranged units. Sadface.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited June 2011
    To be fair they could change the way some existing factions work a lot (as they have done in the past) so judging them based on past experience may be a wasted effort.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, as someone that is pretty fond of HoMM, what's this new one like? The ones I'm mainly familiar with are 1, 3, and 4, if you're going for "like x" comparisons.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am looking forward to this as well though I think I will wait until it releases in September.

Also, for the record, Heroes of Might and Magic 4 might have had its flaws in terms of game play, but it is still one of my most favorite games when it comes to telling a compelling story as a campaign (Price of Peace and Elwin and Shaera are the best. Honorable mention also goes to Glory of Past Days and The True Blade).

Yogo on
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am hoping this is good. The new Orc and Sanctuary factions look really different and interesting, and I have a tactical-TBS-RPG itch that needs scratching.

Any comments on how battles are like, generally? One of the flaws of HOMM I find is that it's usually a war where the biggest army wins, and there's no real battlefield control (e.g. making use of choke points etc).

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The Campaign of HoMM IV felt so so so flat compared to HoMM III. It was the lack of any Cut scenes and context. HoMM III had a ton of world building, thanks to MM7 and MM8 I'll admit, which made its story much stronger.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Absolutely, though I cringe watching the intro to 3 now.

Which happens on occasion since it makes you watch the damn thing after installing.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh god, the 3D graphics are so horrible.

One thing I always hated about the third, that they (thankfully?) fixed in the 4th and so on was some of the balancing.
    For instance, in the first, second or third, if you get an army of ghosts to join you, you become unstoppable at that point, since 2/3 of whatever they kill become more ghosts. Fairies, Goblins and other low-level creatures are just things to boost your ghost numbers. Totally unfair.
    In the 5th, they don't quite work that way - you resurrect some % AFTER battle, not in the middle of it.
    That's just for starters.
    The 4th and 5th ones also weren't as bad as "first one to get a black dragon wins" kind of OP bullshit.
    Bone dragons I remember being total cocks.

Anyway. I hope that this 6th installment is decently balanced, with the two new factions and what looks like a couple of redoings of old ones.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Only Sanctuary is actually new. Stronghold has been around in the HoMM series forever.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    To be fair they could change the way some existing factions work a lot (as they have done in the past) so judging them based on past experience may be a wasted effort.

Right but style is important good sir Gerbil. Tower in HoMM 3 and HoMM 5 played pretty differently but damnit at least I had my sweet wizard town and titans again.
    Oh god, the 3D graphics are so horrible.

One thing I always hated about the third, that they (thankfully?) fixed in the 4th and so on was some of the balancing.
    For instance, in the first, second or third, if you get an army of ghosts to join you, you become unstoppable at that point, since 2/3 of whatever they kill become more ghosts.

This is absolutely untrue. By "ghosts" in HoMM 3 I assume you mean wights/wraiths? Because no, they can't resurrect units, and certainly not above their current maximum. Their only special ability related to that was healing to full at the end of the turn, IE your top stack wraith with 5/10 health will have 10/10 health at the end of the turn. Vampires could actually resurrect units, but again not past the size of the stack at the beginning of combat.

Now I do remember playing a HoMM game on the PS2 back in the day (I was desperate!) where wights did in fact do this, and it was the stupidest thing ever. Could be the case in 1 and 2, but certainly not 3.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It was the ghost in Heroes of Might and Magic 1 and 2. I remember pulling up the map editor to conveniently place a ghost barrow next to my starting point so I could proceed to own the CPU with my unstoppable 4k large ghost army :wink:

Yogo on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Liking the new art direction. I will check this out, especially after Disciples 3 was such a goddamn letdown.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    ElrethElreth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have played a lot of hotseat with my brother. If you ignore the obvious "beta stuff", then it is a pretty fantastic heroes game. If you are wondering if you should try to get the beta, if you played like 3/5 of the previous games and had fun then you'll probably like the beta. That said, there are a few annoying occurances like spell/ability descriptions and tooltip errors; especially for numerical variables. Most importantly, every once in a while the AI will decide it cannot attack things and will run up to them and stand still for the rest of its turn. Not sure what causes this.

Here are some big things off the top of my head:

1. Custom hero creation. Just some name, portrait, faction, gender, might/magic and typical heroes 3/5 special ability.
    2. Heroes divided into might and magic heroes. Affects quite a few things, including some artifacts are exclusive to one or the other.
    3. Alignment kind of system for heroes. Tears/Blood. Takes forever to level up your hero enough in one or the other to make a difference beyond a minor passive you start with based on faction and might/magic.
    4. Spells/abilities/passives selected from trees, no mage towers (kind of lame, but better than the ridiculous skill wheel stuff you ended up with and seems kind of balanced)
    5. Dynasty metagame thing I haven't messed with too much, but seems involved in what bonus you can choose to start the game with (you start being able to choose gold, ore/wood, or a minor luck art: whole thing can be disabled via an option for more fairness probably)
    6. Each faction has an ability that charges up throughout a fight, and a heroes 5 like hero attack that has an extra effect based on the faction. The attack uses your spell casting turn, the ability doesn't.
    7. Two sets of misc bonus effect buildings that are either or per faction. So building a or b, and then building c or d.
    8. Less emphasis on teir 1-7, and more on teir catagory. 1-3 are a lot closer to each other in power and called "Core". 4-6 are close again and called "Elite". (if you played the puzzle game you can guess im going to end with) T7 is the "Champion".
    9. Control areas: areas around castles/forts sort of like a zone of influence. Enemies cannot take mines/dwellings (btw the new dwellings are kind of nice, affect a teir grouping and are added to castle growth; simpler but better imo). There are abilities to plunder and sabotage enemy mines you can use though. Whose area of control you are in can also affect some spells/abilites (the either or bonus buildings especially like to use this).
    10. I think all forms of healing can ressurect units. This is nice.
    11. Unlimited ammo for everyone.
    12. Cover system. Press A to get behind walls etc to dodge fire. But no really there are rocks you can hide behind sometime to take less damage and obviously random spells and abilities that deal with them.

Elreth on
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    HoMM is right there with Civ for me as an all time favorite so I'm psyched for this. Really happy to see they have King and Romero back doing music too.

On a funny (to me) note - no one here has mentioned what is the raging controversy over at the Ubi boards - the new town "window" versus town screen. I do love the animated town screens and will miss them, but the rage seems out of proportion.

hamdingers on
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Elreth wrote: »

1. Custom hero creation. Just some name, portrait, faction, gender, might/magic and typical heroes 3/5 special ability.

This ... this is a thing I can get behind.

hamdingers on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    From what I can tell the ubisoft forums seem mostly populated by ... people I don't want to talk to. I made an account for these forums just to reply to this thread and possibly actually talk about the game. Maybe I was at the wrong section? It was 99% "How can I solve [trivial problem]?"

That said, that wasn't even an issue that occured to me. There are lots of "windows" in the game, including the hero screens. They're p much screens anyway, its not like theyre actual movable, resizable windows. They take up most of the screen.

Hero creation was and is actually pretty fun. The different models are kinda cool (they vary based on blood/tears setting, gender, faction, and might/magic), although obviously the huge amount of special talents is the big draw. I am curious to see how much dynasty stuff will work with them.

There is the little 3d animation but I don't think it updates aside from fortification upgrades. Maybe that will change later though I guess.

Elreth on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Are there many special abilities for individual unit stacks in HoMM6? I was kind of spoiled in this regard by the new King's Bounty games. Almost every unit in that game had 2+ special attributes or castable abilities, which I thought was really fun. Anything like that in HoMM6? Really liking what I'm hearing so far.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Played a tiny bit of beta last night and agree with Elreth on most points.

Its a very pretty game, and the animations are quite smooth. Also the with the tiers thing more or less replaced by core/elite/champion there are certain abilities that affect each group differently too.

Its been a lot of fun so far, will try it some more later today.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I can't think of a unit offhand that doesn't have at least one notable special attribute/ability. Of course all units also have an upgraded version that gives them at least one more. Maybe unupgraded ghouls? They might just have the standard undead stuff and vanillaish dead flesh resistance to might damage or something. They can upgrade to ravenous ghouls and both versions are pretty sweet in my opinion though.

Elreth on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I can't think of a unit offhand that doesn't have at least one notable special attribute/ability. Of course all units also have an upgraded version that gives them at least one more. Maybe unupgraded ghouls? They might just have the standard undead stuff and vanillaish dead flesh resistance to might damage or something. They can upgrade to ravenous ghouls and both versions are pretty sweet in my opinion though.

That is excellent news. It's getting harder and harder to not pre-order this. I know that the beta is limited to three maps, but is it limited in any other way? Primarily, are available factions or tech level limited?

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well there are five factions in beta atm. I don't know the official word on how many there are supposed to be. It wouldn't surprise me if another one or two were added since there are quite a few "staple" creatures missing but five is also close to how many there have been in the past.

The beta is limited to three campaign maps, of which i've played the first and was certainly fun. The multiplayer map is where it is at right now. No online play, just up to three players hotseat though. No tech limitations.

Elreth on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well there are five factions in beta atm. I don't know the official word on how many there are supposed to be. It wouldn't surprise me if another one or two were added since there are quite a few "staple" creatures missing but five is also close to how many there have been in the past.

The beta is limited to three campaign maps, of which i've played the first and was certainly fun. The multiplayer map is where it is at right now. No online play, just up to three players hotseat though. No tech limitations.

Sounds like fun. I might just have to pick this up. Thanks for answering all my questions.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Oh another big notable I forgot. You can convert towns and dwellings to your own faction. (For a modest fee).

Elreth on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh another big notable I forgot. You can convert towns and dwellings to your own faction. (For a modest fee).

Bought Day 1.

While I didn't mind so much taking over a town that belonged to a different faction, it was usually after I sieged the place and lost a good chunk of units, and then noticed there were a bunch of leftover units in the town that the AI couldn't afford. I wanted them, but didn't want to take the morale hit. :P

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I am not sure how it handles left over available creatures. I assume that they are converted maybe. In a related note it seems like all creature pools are shared between castles. So you can buy all of castle 1's creatures and all of castles 2's from castle 2. Not sure if that will change..

Elreth on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

Bought Day 1.

While I didn't mind so much taking over a town that belonged to a different faction, it was usually after I sieged the place and lost a good chunk of units, and then noticed there were a bunch of leftover units in the town that the AI couldn't afford. I wanted them, but didn't want to take the morale hit. :P

Sure, but you should be hiring another hero to lead that army of demons or whatever. Even if you lead it nowhere, at least you have it guarding the city to protect that extra income. There's no morale hit if they're in separate armies.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Also probably MY favourite feature (not everyones I know) is that you can only take over mines/recruitment buildings in a region if you own the town. You can capture and hold it as long as the hero sits there, but if you leave it reverts back to city owner. This really cuts down on flag and dash type tactics by other players and the AI which was just a headache more than anything.

TheGerbil on