As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Might and Magic: Heroes VI demo is here, Check OP for link. Game is out!

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Elreth wrote: »
    Oh another big notable I forgot. You can convert towns and dwellings to your own faction. (For a modest fee).

Bought Day 1.

While I didn't mind so much taking over a town that belonged to a different faction, it was usually after I sieged the place and lost a good chunk of units, and then noticed there were a bunch of leftover units in the town that the AI couldn't afford. I wanted them, but didn't want to take the morale hit. :P

Sure, but you should be hiring another hero to lead that army of demons or whatever. Even if you lead it nowhere, at least you have it guarding the city to protect that extra income. There's no morale hit if they're in separate armies.

That's usually what I've done, but unless I'm playing XL maps, I usually like to run through the game with 1 hero laying waste to everything, and buy a second hero only to carry excess artifacts. :)

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I remember playing one of the Age of Wonders games online with some friends yeaaaars ago. I really liked it but never played any HOMM game, they similar?

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Inkyblots wrote: »
    I remember playing one of the Age of Wonders games online with some friends yeaaaars ago. I really liked it but never played any HOMM game, they similar?

Kind of, yes. You don't make your own hero like in AoW, but the strategy elements are all there and very similar.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Also probably MY favourite feature (not everyones I know) is that you can only take over mines/recruitment buildings in a region if you own the town. You can capture and hold it as long as the hero sits there, but if you leave it reverts back to city owner. This really cuts down on flag and dash type tactics by other players and the AI which was just a headache more than anything.

That is awesome.
    I hate having 18 level 1 bitches with 1 unit in them to run around and grab all the mines after the enemies would grab them, then turn around and run them away to somewhere safer. Rinse, lather repeat.

Also, I could have been confused and misremembering which units in what game that were nearly invincible. I swear it was the Ghosts in #3 that as they would kill, they would get a % of the ones they just killed added to their own numbers.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    ElrethElreth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah the problem with Heroes is that a lot of the 'optimal' strategies are really boring/tedious/silly. The control area helps with this, but first of all Necropolis gets a building that lets them revive heroes for free. Combine that with the really high mentor exp % you can have an army of undying level 5-8s (with zero creatures) to run around their area of control to plunder/sabotage/hold their mines/dwellings.

Elreth on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well hopefully that'll get changed up towards the end of the beta (or sooner).

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Opinions from the gallery:

Buy HOMM 5 on Steam sale, or pre order HOMM 6 right now?

programjunkie on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Homm 5 is an incredible value.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Smaug6 wrote: »

Homm 5 is an incredible value.

Yeah, I'd definitely jump on that. $5 is too good of a deal to pass up.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    hamdingers wrote: »
    HoMM is right there with Civ for me as an all time favorite so I'm psyched for this. Really happy to see they have King and Romero back doing music too.

On a funny (to me) note - no one here has mentioned what is the raging controversy over at the Ubi boards - the new town "window" versus town screen. I do love the animated town screens and will miss them, but the rage seems out of proportion.

This reminds me, I've always been curious as to what stringed instrument was used for some of the HoMM2 soundtrack. Looking for an example of what I'm talking about I found not only a song, it also has the sheet music and the name of the instrument (harpsichord), so don't mind me. I'll be over here, looking up more of this instrument. :rotate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9-R80KzpuA&feature=related

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Darmak wrote: »
    hamdingers wrote: »
    HoMM is right there with Civ for me as an all time favorite so I'm psyched for this. Really happy to see they have King and Romero back doing music too.

On a funny (to me) note - no one here has mentioned what is the raging controversy over at the Ubi boards - the new town "window" versus town screen. I do love the animated town screens and will miss them, but the rage seems out of proportion.

This reminds me, I've always been curious as to what stringed instrument was used for some of the HoMM2 soundtrack. Looking for an example of what I'm talking about I found not only a song, it also has the sheet music and the name of the instrument (harpsichord), so don't mind me. I'll be over here, looking up more of this instrument. :rotate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9-R80KzpuA&feature=related

If you like HOMM music as much as I do (my ipod is full of it) you'll be happy to know this track is updated and reused on HOMM6. Many of the tracks in the new game are updates of old M&M (not just HOMM) music.

hamdingers on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, good old TotalBiscuit got in the beta. Worth watching if you are not in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxejyj4My-8&feature=feedlik

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Is there a list anywhere of what the creatures are in each faction?

Tarantio on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tarantio wrote: »
    Is there a list anywhere of what the creatures are in each faction?

official site

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    so, I preordered to join the beta, but there're a bunch of stuff that doesn't make sense to me. For instance, I have to make my own heroes in order to play multi? And if that's true, I had 30 ability points to distribute, but when I actually play multiplayer, none of that matters.

It's all very confusing.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Skab wrote: »
    So, good old TotalBiscuit got in the beta. Worth watching if you are not in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxejyj4My-8&feature=feedlik

That was very informative. I was already looking at picking this up, and I'm in agreement with most of what he said. I'm also in the same boat with him on the HoMM story in the main game. I don't think I followed it AT ALL in any iteration of the game.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I assume the 30 ability points is to let you play around with various builds. To simulate being level 30.

Elreth on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have never played these games before, but this one looked cool so I pre-ordered to get into the beta. I'm having fun but I can't figure out how to get more units other that buying more heroes.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Unless they changed something really large since I last played these games your unit dwellings in cities will refill at the start of a new week.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I've been playing hotseat multi with my wife, and we've run into a strange bug: enemy heroes won't attack us. I had an enemy hero with a large army sitting outside my town for about four days, just sitting at the entrance. I had only a couple units inside to defend it. Also had another enemy hero run up next to a level one hero with almost no army who was just grabbing resources. They didn't attack. Later in the game, an enemy hero did take an empty town that I owned, so they can take towns, but they were unable to attack a human player. Anyone else run into this?

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Its a known bug. They think next patch will get it out.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Its a known bug. They think next patch will get it out.

Ah, good to know. Other than that and a few minor quibbles, loving the beta so far.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So heroes have skill trees and stuff now?

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    you only get the beta key via digital pre-orders right (not regular pre-orders)?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, there are skill trees. The magic trees are available depending on your faction but most are available for each. I believe all the might trees are available for everyone. Might heroes can access 3rd tier might skills and magic heroes can etc.

I believe you can get a key from either but it might be harder to get from the non-digital?

In other news: There is a patch out for the beta (run gu.exe to get it). Not sure what it has supposedly fixed but since I haven't seen much else fixed, it took care of the AI not attacking when it should bug. I remember someone said that was coming soon.

Also, I got through all the campaign levels. They are actually pretty fun. The sanctuary campaign map is just beautiful. On the second map, there is a cool map location/item that lets you Demon Souls style messages to other players with ratings and so forth.

Elreth on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    So heroes have skill trees and stuff now?

This is correct. Very standard stuff. You earn an ability point every level and can use it to learn skills or spells.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I didn't want to try the Beta (hate stuff that aren't tried and tested), but I wanted to understand the franchise so I got V. The single player is kicking my ass, I need to read a guide or some shit :P

TheOrange on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Single player has a tendency to kick your ass for no real reason. They will suddenly move on to your land charging towards you, and even though you all had the same resources and built something each turn, their units will demolish you.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yay, fixed camera.

Edit: I hate the resource removal and the area of control thing, but the two put together are not as aggravating as if it was only one of them.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    TheOrange wrote: »
    I didn't want to try the Beta (hate stuff that aren't tried and tested), but I wanted to understand the franchise so I got V. The single player is kicking my ass, I need to read a guide or some shit :P

Always play HoMM V on easy, its the only way to do without a guide or getting raped.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Or cheat yourself up some 10k super succubi, that kills the entire team with one hit.
    I did that one game, and somehow the computer had 18k faeries.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Oh no! Its homeworld 2 all over again.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Speaking of HoMMV and guides, is there anywhere a nice list/picture of the skills/abilities and which you need for what? Because my usual source for such things has nothing.

Like I can have the offense skill, which unlocks the archery ability, which unlocks a thing that makes ballista shots be on fire. As opposed to fiery ballistas being covered under the war machines skill (which I have only seen once out of several heroes getting their six skills selected)

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Here's a video on the skill trees from Celestial Heavens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbFxylvn_G8&feature=player_embedded

In the office right now, so I haven't really listened to the explanations. But it looks nice, looks like there are a lot of different skills for customisation.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Oh christ, the skilltree is different between hero types? My mind is full of fuck.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It's a good thing you can respec all of your ability points, or I'd say there's almost no reason to ever put points into that Architect skill.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    Demo news:

http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/heroes-6/en-GB/news/details.aspx?c=tcm:21-22448&ct=tcm:6-231-32

Someone needs to explain to them that "...is available" and "...will soon be available" are not the same thing.

• Options
    Well the beta is available now and I am currently playing it. Well I was playing it last night. Its pretty fun.

• Options