As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wisconsin] didn't mess it up for once

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    2016: we won, get over it
    2018: we lost so you lose too

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Most of that seems extremely challengable in court.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Javen wrote: »

There's a conservative majority on the Wisconsin Supreme Court, and our justices don't even pretend to be impartial. It's an elected office, and so they end up being quite partisan as a result. I wouldn't trust the courts for redress.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

There's a conservative majority on the Wisconsin Supreme Court, and our justices don't even pretend to be impartial. It's an elected office, and so they end up being quite partisan as a result. I wouldn't trust the courts for redress.

You'd need to justify it as a federal issue then... no idea where you'd start on that.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I feel like the remedy is not in trying to persuade the legal system to function, but in building public intolerance for a legal system that will not function. Understanding that a fair legal system is foundational to economic growth.

And then expressing that through protest and economic responses. Find out who pays and sponsors these legislators, and start boycotting their shit. Protesting clearly and publicly, without getting sidetracked or misdirected.

This is about power. If you cannot organize well enough to earn democracy, you will not have it.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That would require a lot more attention paid to state and local government and local media up to the task.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Ben Wikler (MoveOn.org management guy) posted a twitter thread on some ways to get active against this. Remote phone banking for out-of-state people, local calling setup, info on rallies, legislative sessions, etc.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Yup it will be a total rubber stamp on this. The only silver lining is this likely will effect more GOP in the future than dems given that we tend to have GOP governors.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Like they won't vote to restore power the second a Republican governor is in office.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »

Yup it will be a total rubber stamp on this. The only silver lining is this likely will effect more GOP in the future than dems given that we tend to have GOP governors.

You're assuming they won't repeal it immediately after the tables are flipped.

This isn't a "limit the scope of the executive" bill, because the executive has overextended their power.

This is a "limit the scope of Democrats" bill. As soon as it can be used against them, it'll be gone

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

This isn't a "limit the scope of the executive" bill, because the executive has overextended their power.

This is a "limit the scope of Democrats" bill. As soon as it can be used against them, it'll be gone

Yes. Some of the offices the Republicans are now removing are offices they just added a few years ago while Walker was in charge. This isn't... like a principled statement about how many offices there should be. It's how many offices they should have versus how many offices you should have.

• Options

Well the hope is in 2020 we can get the gerrymandering fixed at least a bit to bring back the more normal balance in the state house/legislature. Even if that is not the case though once the legislature has the power why would they cede it back to the Gov again?

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

Well the hope is in 2020 we can get the gerrymandering fixed at least a bit to bring back the more normal balance in the state house/legislature. Even if that is not the case though once the legislature has the power why would they cede it back to the Gov again?

One of the powers they're removing is the ability of the governor to veto the assembly's redistricting maps, so good luck with that.

Again, they do not care about legislative/executive power balance, they care about keeping power away from the Democrats.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    It's 11 PM in Wisconsin, do you know where your legislature is?

Passing anti-democratic bills on party line votes, that's where.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Not only are they going to pass this, but they are literally going to be doing it in the dead of night

I work at the other end of State St and will be getting off work in 15 minutes so I think I might take a stroll up to the capital and see what's going on.

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    Not only are they going to pass this, but they are literally going to be doing it in the dead of night

I work at the other end of State St and will be getting off work in 15 minutes so I think I might take a stroll up to the capital and see what's going on.

It's now 7 AM and they're still in session.

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »

It's now 7 AM and they're still in session.

I'm truly surprised. Normally the cockroaches run for cover when the sun comes up. Must be a hardy breed, these Wisconsin Republicans.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Do the people have any redress? Clearly voting isn't working, since they're overriding that with this nonsense session.

• Options
    Do the people have any redress? Clearly voting isn't working, since they're overriding that with this nonsense session.

No.

• Options

The argument that'll be made is that there isn't anything that the next Legislature can't undo, therefore it's not a subversion of democracy.

Completely ignoring the systematic advantages Republicans have given themselves.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    lawsuits lots of them. Make it so time intensive and costly for the legislature, make every yes vote part of multi week depositions that they are just stuck constantly defending themselves.

And protests Put names to votes, and literally make them the most hated people in the state. Non stop pressure, for years.

That's it. Honestly looking at the laws they are passing, most of them are sadly constitutional. The ones that are going to be most challengable are going to be ones that effect voter rights. The ones effecting the attorney general might be challengable too. The other ones effecting the governor, those probably have legs and will stand. Although they are short sighted, because eventually the GOP with have another governor there, and why on earth would the legislature give up power.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Although they are short sighted, because eventually the GOP with have another governor there, and why on earth would the legislature give up power.
    It's not really short-sighted. The Legislature is where they've gerrymandered the crap out of things. So, the way it works, is...

R Leg, D Gov - Power to the Leg.
    R Leg, R Gov - Power to either. Party time for R's.
    D Leg, R Gov - Repeal this in the lame duck that happens in, power back to the Gov.
    D Leg, D Gov - They're hosed. And they know it.

But because they're not likely to lose the Legislature, they get to keep things best for R's.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Wisconsin Public Radio State Capitol Bureau Chief:

Just arguing for strong minority rule now.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

The argument that'll be made is that there isn't anything that the next Legislature can't undo, therefore it's not a subversion of democracy.

Completely ignoring the systematic advantages Republicans have given themselves.

But if they make it illegal to overturn their gerrymandered advantage in 2020 after the Census and redistricting, that's the ballgame for Democracy in Wisconsin. Which has some dark implications, boy how.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Although they are short sighted, because eventually the GOP with have another governor there, and why on earth would the legislature give up power.
    It's not really short-sighted. The Legislature is where they've gerrymandered the crap out of things. So, the way it works, is...

R Leg, D Gov - Power to the Leg.
    R Leg, R Gov - Power to either. Party time for R's.
    D Leg, R Gov - Repeal this in the lame duck that happens in, power back to the Gov.
    D Leg, D Gov - They're hosed. And they know it.

But because they're not likely to lose the Legislature, they get to keep things best for R's.
    Which is why there needs to be name and shame for years. Unfortunately I don't think Wisconsin has the will for a multiyear protest.

• Options

But if they make it illegal to overturn their gerrymandered advantage in 2020 after the Census and redistricting, that's the ballgame for Democracy in Wisconsin. Which has some dark implications, boy how.

That's my point.

"You have the ability to change the rules. But you can only get the ability to change the rules, by following the rules we make. And we're going to make it hard to follow our rules and win.

But you can still change them if you do all that. Therefore, democracy."

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Wisconsin Public Radio State Capitol Bureau Chief:

Just arguing for strong minority rule now.

Jesus christ, the sheer balls of these idiots.

Like seriously, 8 years? You mean the 8 years wherein the governor invented a budget crisis and then engaged in extreme amateur hour budget redirects (See the play pen for athletes that came after gutting the university's budget), gave away a shit load of money to google and other assorted fiascos that ultimately resulted in him being turfed?

Like for fucks sakes I can't even fathom how these guys are able to say any of this shit with a straight face.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    It's gonna take an entire generation to fix this fucking shit

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Might require re-writing several state constitutions.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Wisconsin is basically already fucked and already has dark implications. It was the Right-Wing Billionaire test-case for dismantling a more left-wing state and making it virtually impossible for them to recover it and it succeeded brilliant. It's what you can expect from anywhere else in the US if you let them take power.

Watching this happen, knowing some people on the ground effected by it, it's just been depressing because there seems little to no way to stop it.

• Options
    Given the margin of votes for dems for the state assembly and how few actual seats they got and with this nonsense I don't see how this is not an issue into perpetuity and that WI is now a minority rule state.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

If we're lucky

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

If we're lucky

I don't actually believe that these gerrymandered dictatorships are going to last for that much longer. It'll just be a question of whether its the courts or angry crowds that tear them down.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Things are dire, but not without sources of hope. Wisconsin still has a very strong and angry liberal base. It'll be a long fight but not seeing the path out doesn't mean there isn't one. The unexpected doesn't always have to work towards injustice.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

If we're lucky

I don't actually believe that these gerrymandered dictatorships are going to last for that much longer. It'll just be a question of whether its the courts or angry crowds that tear them down.

The problem isn't the map, that can be fixed. It's that Wisconsin Republicans have abandoned the idea of the peaceful transition of power, which is to say they have abandoned democracy. There isn't really a remedy to that.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

If we're lucky

The problem isn't the map, that can be fixed. It's that Wisconsin Republicans have abandoned the idea of the peaceful transition of power, which is to say they have abandoned democracy. There isn't really a remedy to that.

I mean, there is. It's just that, much like the Civil Rights Movement, the route doesn't lie through existing law.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Well I’d wager that the judiciary isn’t going to be much help.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Even a friendly judiciary would be unlikely to fix that much damage.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Someone needs to have a sale on tar and feathers.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Sam Power is a former US ambassador to the UN and the New York Times is a paper that can suck my whole ass.

This is one of those monkey's paw situations for people complaining this wasn't getting national coverage.

I Zimbra on