As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[THE DARK KNIGHT RISES]

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It's just a problem with the graphite!

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Edward Scissorhands holds up a lot better than his other movies, but I still don't think it's that great anymore.
    Nightmare Before Christmas wasn't directed by him. I give Henry Selick more credit for how that turned out, especially after Coraline.
    Sleepy Hollow is utterly forgettable. In fact, I hadn't thought of that movie in years until you just brought it up.
    Big Fish I really enjoyed initially, and bought on DVD, but after watching it a second and third time, I really don't enjoy it anymore.

Sweeney Todd, you may have a point. Though the fantasy section in the middle, where Carter fantasizes about a family life with Depp always makes me cringe.

What didn't you like about it? It was in the original musical.
    Sweeny Todd was a horrible film. The singing was bad as fuck, which kinda kills a film like that. I came in with high expectations, and was extremely disappointed.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Batman's true inverse would be Hush

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    There are lots of ways to invert Batman, and most of them result in one of his villains. Bane, Joker, Two-Face, Hush, Scarecrow, Catwoman, even Penguin are all twisted versions of Batman. There are probably more. It's one of the things I find most compelling about his Rogue's Gallery than others.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Yeah. Weird how Batman has really strong villains, and then you've got, say, the Flash, who has his Rogues, I guess, but they lack a lot in comparison, and then you've got people like Green Arrow. I couldn't even begin to tell you who Green Arrow's villains are. I'm assuming there's an evil version of him called Dark Archer or something...

It's almost like they forgot the whole methodology after Batman was sorted out, and even I know that's not true, timeline-wise. Batman already had most of his villains well before the whole thing in the seventies happened that lead to the modern version(s) of him since.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Green Arrow has Onomatopoeia, right? He was kind of cool. And Gentleman Ghost, I think? His Wikipedia entry makes him look pretty cool.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Onomatopoeia started in Green Arrow, and has faced Batman as well.

Green Arrow's archvillain is Merlyn.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Yeah. Weird how Batman has really strong villains, and then you've got, say, the Flash, who has his Rogues, I guess, but they lack a lot in comparison, and then you've got people like Green Arrow. I couldn't even begin to tell you who Green Arrow's villains are. I'm assuming there's an evil version of him called Dark Archer or something...

It's almost like they forgot the whole methodology after Batman was sorted out, and even I know that's not true, timeline-wise. Batman already had most of his villains well before the whole thing in the seventies happened that lead to the modern version(s) of him since.

Flash is probably the worst example of that.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    So is the prologue before Mission Impossible? Seeing it in IMAX saturday morning either way but would be so fucking awesome if it is.

• Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Heisenberg wrote:
    So is the prologue before Mission Impossible? Seeing it in IMAX saturday morning either way but would be so fucking awesome if it is.
    Only at the 70mm IMAX. If your IMAX is a digital IMAX, no dice.

NA theater list: http://www.deadline.com/2011/12/70mm-imax-theaters-set-for-dec-16-bow-of-6-min-prologue-of-the-dark-knight-rises/

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    toxk_02 wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Only at the 70mm IMAX. If your IMAX is a digital IMAX, no dice.

NA theater list: http://www.deadline.com/2011/12/70mm-imax-theaters-set-for-dec-16-bow-of-6-min-prologue-of-the-dark-knight-rises/

It's at the irvine spectrum imax, sweet. I'm in luck.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I thought the inverse was Zsasz

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Obviously the inverse of Batman is Harley Quinn

because she's like the Joker but she's a girl

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Are they doing an ARG for this one too?

edit: Yup! http://screenrant.com/dark-knight-rises-viral-operation-early-bird-map-rob-142951/

Also, this: http://t.co/nNXxwEbw

The hell does
    de-shay de-shay bas-sah-rah
    mean?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:
    There are lots of ways to invert Batman, and most of them result in one of his villains. Bane, Joker, Two-Face, Hush, Scarecrow, Catwoman, even Penguin are all twisted versions of Batman. There are probably more. It's one of the things I find most compelling about his Rogue's Gallery than others.

Word. It depends on which aspect you focus but a lot of the villains are share the same traits as him which make it awesome.

• Options
    I think it would be quicker to name Villains that don't directly foil Batman.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:
    Are they doing an ARG for this one too?

edit: Yup! http://screenrant.com/dark-knight-rises-viral-operation-early-bird-map-rob-142951/

Also, this: http://t.co/nNXxwEbw

The hell does
    de-shay de-shay bas-sah-rah
    mean?
    "He rises" in Moroccan, from what I have heard.
    So, Ra's probably. Or maybe Bruce dies and rises? And then takes over the Ra's League? And then there can be tons of new Batman, just like the end of Dark Knight Returns?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Edward Scissorhands holds up a lot better than his other movies, but I still don't think it's that great anymore.
    Nightmare Before Christmas wasn't directed by him. I give Henry Selick more credit for how that turned out, especially after Coraline.
    Sleepy Hollow is utterly forgettable. In fact, I hadn't thought of that movie in years until you just brought it up.
    Big Fish I really enjoyed initially, and bought on DVD, but after watching it a second and third time, I really don't enjoy it anymore.

Sweeney Todd, you may have a point. Though the fantasy section in the middle, where Carter fantasizes about a family life with Depp always makes me cringe.

What didn't you like about it? It was in the original musical.
    Sweeny Todd was a horrible film. The singing was bad as fuck, which kinda kills a film like that. I came in with high expectations, and was extremely disappointed.

I actually don't like Sweeney Todd at all, either. I love Depp and I love Sondheim. I think Into The Woods is possibly the best musical ever written, musically and otherwise. But Sweeney Todd is a dark, dreary, drudgingly painful mess where I find it impossible to either empathize or sympathize with any character. I don't really enjoy the music much either. Or the tone or story. Or anything about it. Sorry, I know that sounds excessive but I hold Into The Woods in extremely high regard and after watching Sweeney Todd all I could thing was "wtf? The same guy wrote the music for this?"

And Sleepy Hollow wasn't the most sophisticated film, but I personally enjoyed it a great deal.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    My problem with the music in Sweeney Todd was that it seemed like just as a song was getting good, it would either segue (sp?) to something different entirely or end.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:

manbat

qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    After seeing that poster on the previous page, and being a fan of Nolan's other work, I'm genuinely interested how he will leave the batman character at the end of his trilogy. I assume DC would push for a kind of reset - we see batman on top of a gothic building, having won the day, and he continues to be Gotham's Dark Knight.
    But it would be really interesting to see this Bruce Wayne kind of retire, having had Batman take a toll on him.... But I guess that kind of goes against the whole "rises" theme...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Is the prologue playing only on friday in the 70mm imax theatres, or the entire run of MI4?

• Options
    Fallingman wrote:
    After seeing that poster on the previous page, and being a fan of Nolan's other work, I'm genuinely interested how he will leave the batman character at the end of his trilogy. I assume DC would push for a kind of reset - we see batman on top of a gothic building, having won the day, and he continues to be Gotham's Dark Knight.
    But it would be really interesting to see this Bruce Wayne kind of retire, having had Batman take a toll on him.... But I guess that kind of goes against the whole "rises" theme...
    To DC it doesn't matter how they leave him. Once Nolan's film are out of the way they are doing a reboot as a sequel to their Justice League movie.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Fallingman wrote:

Pretty sure Nolan is making this his finale. Everything that's been talked about in interviews gives an indication of a desire to put a close to things in a deliberate way.

Granted, Bale's said he'd do another if Nolan would direct it again, but I think that's more Bale's way of saying he's done playing Batman.

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, so Nolan pretty much has free reign to do whatever he wants, which is what makes it so compelling. I don't think there's ever been a major property like this where the director was completely free to do whatever he wants to if he so chooses.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Prologue screenings are happening tonight, looking forward to an old-school camera phone bootleg of a giant IMAX screen.

ed: shirts they handed out

k0NUv.jpg
    NHP7a.jpg

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I have two 'End' shirts. I'll trade somebody one for a 'Legend'

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh hey what's this

http://www.multiupload.com/P5SDXT9VHB

edit: Ignore the video title. The title was used on youtube to try and avoid censors. The video I downloaded was the prologue. quality: -10/10

edit2: second source, much better quality but missing half of screen: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SQ5M7CNI
    sample gif of above, the sizzle reel at end of trailer: http://i.minus.com/ibqyZsRl3Usc3p.gif

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    something involving pizza comparisons?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    KalTorak wrote:
    something involving pizza comparisons?
    Attempt to hide the youtube video from WB.

same video also here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmyunu_the-fire-rises_webcam

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    Maybe you guys should tell people what the link is. A lot of people this board wouldn't want to just step into that.

My spoiler contains nothing about the plot but just my opinion on Banes voice.
    Not only do I have not problem with banes voice I love it. the qualities kinda shit but I understand him better then some of them. Its probably a mixing problem more then anything

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Maybe you guys should tell people what the link is. A lot of people this board wouldn't want to just step into that.

My spoiler contains nothing about the plot but just my opinion on Banes voice.
    Not only do I have not problem with banes voice I love it. the qualities kinda shit but I understand him better then some of them. Its probably a mixing problem more then anything
    I think they could make his voice a little clearer. I can understand him when there isn't too much background noise, but when there is a lot of noise I miss some words. Since he has the mask on, you can't mentally fill in the gaps with a bit of lip-reading either, and also he has an accent, so that all combines to make his voice harder to understand than even Bale's Batvoice.

I did think his voice would be deeper though. I was a little surprised.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    My problem with the music in Sweeney Todd was that it seemed like just as a song was getting good, it would either segue (sp?) to something different entirely or end.

That's kind of Sondheim's thing, though, isn't it? A lot of actors that have performed his stuff basically say as much.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    man someone said the official version of the new trailer was supposed to drop today?

if that random internet person was wrong/lying i'm going to be mad

• Options
    I
    KalTorak wrote:
    man someone said the official version of the new trailer was supposed to drop today?

if that random internet person was wrong/lying i'm going to be mad

I think it's scheduled for iTunes or Yahoo next week. There's a pretty good bootleg of it (the trailer, not the prologue) if you can find it. Can post a link later.

OTP.jpg
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    It dropped in the new Sherlock Holmes movie. which was also great so just go see that.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    saw it in front of both sherlock 2 and mi:4 in imax... so haunting and sooooo great, anybody that has an issue with hathaway can go straight to hell after this

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    It dropped in the new Sherlock Holmes movie. which was also great so just go see that.

I will, sometime next week probably. Can't right now because finals.

• Options
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I loved Sweeney Todd. My favorite Burton movie ever.
    (I was also involved in a production of the play in high school, so it's near and dear to me.)

wVEsyIc.png