As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[THE DARK KNIGHT RISES]

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Article regarding Bane's voice. This is exactly what I hoped Nolan and the studio would respond with: http://collider.com/dark-knight-rises-bane-voice-christopher-nolan/133367/?_r=true

The audience should have to pay closer attention to listen to him, and just like real life, sometimes you don't always hear every single word the other person is saying. Be it someone with an accent, or an elderly person.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Nolan has brass balls, I'll give him that.

Execs apparently even asked him to fix the voice, and he said "nope"

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I dunno. I....guess. The reasoning is sound, as Heisenberg states it.

I'm just not sure we'd be so accepting if it wasn't Christopher Nolan.

Then again, it IS Christopher Nolan, so the whole issue might be moot.

It's just that it's a weird issue to have, and it's not like it's Tom Hardy's natural voice or anything either.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I think the voice issue is a bit overblown. I mean, it took me reading a transcript of the trailer to know what the dudes at the party were saying about Gordon, but I got the gist of it. (the mayor is going to dump him in the spring). By folks responses to Bane we will understand what he is saying.

But i do think Nolan's "hey they need to be less stupid and keep up!" is a very strange response. Without lips to read its going to be rough. But then again we have absolutely no context to derive Bane's line from as is, and the prologue stuff is in a very loud setting with plenty of noise interferance and was bootlegged with bad sound quality, even then I got 90 percent of what he said and got the gist of all of it.

I don't mind the sound, but Nolan's response is odd to me.

But at least folks will be complaining about Bane's voice and will leave raspy Bat-voice alone.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    "Hey we can't understand a word this guy is saying, could you do something about it" suddenly translates into "dumb everything down for dummy dumb audiences"? Hey, way to be a huge pretentious dick, Nolan.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Well, Nolan fucked up the bat-voice in The Dark Knight... mumble-mumble-growl-Harvey-Dent... I mean, do we all remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2yv8aT0UFc&sns=em

I want to be challenged by the content of the film, not the Physical act of seeing or hearing it.

I am not further "challenged" by the movie because I jam a q-tip into my ear canal in advance.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    That being said, this trailer is growing on me the more I watch it. Michael Cain's line is delivered in an absolutely amazing way. Catwoman's line is really solid and provides a really good backdrop to some chaotic images and does some good foreshadowing. Obviously Bane's line is solid. The chanting works well too.

Really, its just the "money shot" of the football field that is lacking. I honestly just think to myself "Oh, so you killed or seriously injured 21 people (who would have been killed or seriously injured during thegame anyway! Boom! Football saftey burn!)...i guess that sucks. Why not take out the whole stadium?"

I also am getting a suspicion that this will not be a linear movie. I have a feeling we will be dealing with multiple time periods at once, showing us a future bruce wayne, the direct results of TDK and Bane's destruction of batman all at once.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm suspecting that as well.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    syndalis wrote:
    Nolan has brass balls, I'll give him that.

Execs apparently even asked him to fix the voice, and he said "nope"

He's pretty incredible. At the age of 40 he's basically the most powerful director working in Hollywood right now. He can do pretty much whatever he wants as far as I can tell. The only other directors I can think of who can do that are Clint Eastwood, James Cameron, Scorcese, and Spielberg. And all of them have been in the business waaaay longer than he has. The fact that 12 years ago he made his first film is absolutely mind blowing.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    "Hey we can't understand a word this guy is saying, could you do something about it" suddenly translates into "dumb everything down for dummy dumb audiences"? Hey, way to be a huge pretentious dick, Nolan.

Yeah, that response is idiotic.

I had no problem understanding what was said in any part of the trailer, though.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote:
    That being said, this trailer is growing on me the more I watch it. Michael Cain's line is delivered in an absolutely amazing way. Catwoman's line is really solid and provides a really good backdrop to some chaotic images and does some good foreshadowing. Obviously Bane's line is solid. The chanting works well too.

Really, its just the "money shot" of the football field that is lacking. I honestly just think to myself "Oh, so you killed or seriously injured 21 people (who would have been killed or seriously injured during thegame anyway! Boom! Football saftey burn!)...i guess that sucks. Why not take out the whole stadium?"

I also am getting a suspicion that this will not be a linear movie. I have a feeling we will be dealing with multiple time periods at once, showing us a future bruce wayne, the direct results of TDK and Bane's destruction of batman all at once.

What interests me is why Bruce is walking with a cane. That to me implies bane broke his legs or something, but if that's the case, why would Bruce be going to some party hanging out with hot chicks like Hathaway and Cotillard while Bane is on the loose? I guess it's probably the other way around, but that brings up it's own set of questions too.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote:
    What interests me is why Bruce is walking with a cane. That to me implies bane broke his legs or something, but if that's the case, why would Bruce be going to some party hanging out with hot chicks like Hathaway and Cotillard while Bane is on the loose? I guess it's probably the other way around, but that brings up it's own set of questions too.

I'm also wondering about the whole scene in what looks like a prison where he asks "what they're saying" and the other guy says "Rise." Did he get captured and put in some weird-looking prison, or is that some sort of coma-dream?

• Options
    If I had to guess he probably went back to Asia to retrain after bane breaks him.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    The prison thing is probably part of his recovery - notice when he asks about the chant he's sporting the traumatic-spot-of-white-hair. In the teaser they show him doing push-ups in the cell. Maybe he's there on his own or perhaps it's a league of shadows prison.

I also think the party is pre-Bane. Life is good in Gotham, 'peace time' as the one guy says, but Kyle provides the foreshadowing of Bane coming to town. Bats gets wrecked, enter cane and recoup time.

OTP.jpg
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Where were these people complaining about not being able to read lips when V for Vendetta came out?

I'm hearing impaired, so the voice doesn't bother me because I wouldn't be able to understand it one way or the other. I miss probably 60-70% of dialogue when I seem movies in the theater.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Where were these people complaining about not being able to read lips when V for Vendetta came out?

I'm hearing impaired, so the voice doesn't bother me because I wouldn't be able to understand it one way or the other. I miss probably 60-70% of dialogue when I seem movies in the theater.

I hope this is not an inappropriate question then, I'm genuinely curious: Do you find loss of enjoyment because of this, or is it as Nolan said and you can get enough of the gist of things to be entertained?

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Icemopper wrote:

I hope this is not an inappropriate question then, I'm genuinely curious: Do you find loss of enjoyment because of this, or is it as Nolan said and you can get enough of the gist of things to be entertained?

Not inappropriate at all. Well, I didn't see either of the two previous films in the theater, so I can't comment on Batman, but I do enjoy most of the films that I go to. Especially action-like films where it doesn't really matter what the dialog is. Of course, that may not apply to Nolan's Batman. I also play close attention to what is going on and figure out things based on context clues (much like I do, for the most part unconsciously, in real life). Sometimes, if I was a little confused, after the movie I'll go home and read the plot on Wikipedia.

I tend to only see movies in the theater that are action or visual-heavy.

So I guess my answer would be that 90% of the time, I get the gist of things and am still entertained. In the case I mentioned above, V for Vendetta, I couldn't understand most of what V was saying, but I liked the movie a lot and read the graphic novel as a result of that.

That doesn't mean that I wouldn't prefer a captioned movie, though.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote:
    That being said, this trailer is growing on me the more I watch it. Michael Cain's line is delivered in an absolutely amazing way

If you watch the original trailers for The Dark Knight, you'll notice that many of the takes used are not the takes that wound up in the film - including some slightly more impassioned work by Michael Caine. So, don't get too attached.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote:

Not inappropriate at all. Well, I didn't see either of the two previous films in the theater, so I can't comment on Batman, but I do enjoy most of the films that I go to. Especially action-like films where it doesn't really matter what the dialog is. Of course, that may not apply to Nolan's Batman. I also play close attention to what is going on and figure out things based on context clues (much like I do, for the most part unconsciously, in real life). Sometimes, if I was a little confused, after the movie I'll go home and read the plot on Wikipedia.

I tend to only see movies in the theater that are action or visual-heavy.

So I guess my answer would be that 90% of the time, I get the gist of things and am still entertained. In the case I mentioned above, V for Vendetta, I couldn't understand most of what V was saying, but I liked the movie a lot and read the graphic novel as a result of that.

That doesn't mean that I wouldn't prefer a captioned movie, though.

Thanks! Informative!

• Options

There was no need for such complaints because people were able to understand what V said.

• Options
    Hear yes, but understand the vichyssoise of verbiage? Maybe.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Face it, people won't be able to understand the dialogue anyway because of the jackass teenagers in the back talking loudly about who will bang catwoman the hardest.

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    It's funny how a masquerade mask can make everyone look hotter, even the amazing Anne Hathaway.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Watching the trailer in greater detail I really do get the sense that Batman's back will be broken. In the shot where Bane is talking to Wayne he looks very much so incapacitated.

I'm starting to think that a large portion of the film will be about Bane having "won" after he breaks Batman.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    What if Gotham were under seige for most of the movie because of Bane fucking up the Bat, turning Gotham, essentially, into a prison-state.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    That's what I'm thinking too. I also bet Bane creates fear in Wayne again and just leaves him alone to live his life and watch his city burn (during this time there will still be people fighting the good fight in Gotham ie: Catwoman and JGL). Eventually he will be inspired to take up the mantle again (perhaps the death of Alfred or Gordon?) and he will go back on his quest to become something more than a man like in the first movie. Full circle for the trilogy.

• Options
    Yeah probably a cut-scene like retraining such as the first movie had with him barely being able to walk to taking down tons of goons at once.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote:
    Well, Nolan fucked up the bat-voice in The Dark Knight... mumble-mumble-growl-Harvey-Dent... I mean, do we all remember this?

I want to be challenged by the content of the film, not the Physical act of seeing or hearing it.

I am not further "challenged" by the movie because I jam a q-tip into my ear canal in advance.

Man I get the jokes, and I can understand not liking the voice but I and everybody I went to see the Dark Knight with understood everything Batman said perfectly. If you didn't that's on you.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    syndalis wrote:

Man I get the jokes, and I can understand not liking the voice but I and everybody I went to see the Dark Knight with understood everything Batman said perfectly. If you didn't that's on you.

Yep, same here.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    The football field collapsing looks so terribly fake, it's like they pulled that scene out of a videogame.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Looks kinda like Bane's posse are rounding up the rich and imprisoning them. Curious how Catwoman fits into this.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Fireflash wrote:
    The football field collapsing looks so terribly fake, it's like they pulled that scene out of a videogame.

What annoys me the most about that scene is how quickly the remaining footballer turns around. The exact moment the ground stops collapsing, he turns to take a look. A normal person would keep on running until they was goddarned sure they got away from it.

reVerse on
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    Fireflash wrote:

What annoys me the most about that scene is how quickly the remaining footballer turns around. The exact moment the ground stops collapsing, he turns to take a look. A normal person would keep on running until they was goddarned sure they got away from it.

I thought it was supposed to be more like he had no idea what was happening behind him until he got to the end zone and turned around. That's what it looked like to me, though I guess you'd need some serious tunnel vision to not hear/see the field collapsing behind you.

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    yeah I haven't heard anything positive about the football field scene. It doesn't look good to me

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Neli wrote:
    yeah I haven't heard anything positive about the football field scene. It doesn't look good to me

I like the football scene. Now you have.
    HeraldS wrote:
    reVerse wrote:
    Fireflash wrote:

I thought it was supposed to be more like he had no idea what was happening behind him until he got to the end zone and turned around. That's what it looked like to me, though I guess you'd need some serious tunnel vision to not hear/see the field collapsing behind you.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the idea is that he doesn't know what's going on behind him. I don't think it's particularly unrealistic for an athlete to not hear what's going on when he's focused on the sport; they have to be used to the noise of the crowd anyway.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Someone was trying to tackle him in that scene. Doesn't look like any of the players knew till the ground came out from them.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Football field was the weakest part of the trailer. Banes line was great and Hathaways lines were great too

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    Face it, people won't be able to understand the dialogue anyway because of the jackass teenagers in the back talking loudly about who will bang catwoman the hardest.

Me.

The answer is me.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    Well at least that's preferable to hearing people talk about how Batman's love interest doesn't live up to their standards of beauty.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote:
    Tomanta wrote:
    Well at least that's preferable to hearing people talk about how Batman's love interest doesn't live up to their standards of beauty.

Look, Morgan Freeman is an attractive man, but he's no Anne Hathaway.

Lh96QHG.png