As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[THE DARK KNIGHT RISES]

• Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    Having seen the trailer and the prologue now, I don't think there can be too much question left that this is a
    League of Shadows story

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    This may be off-movie-topic, but I just watched an episode of Brave and the Bold for the first time, and oh man. Why the hell haven't I been watching this since it first came on? Diedrich Bader is not someone I would have imagined doing Batman well, but by god, he pulls it off. Helps that the tone of this show is so damn silly--I'm loving it so much right now.

EDIT: Figured I should elaborate and let you know that I saw the one "Where Batman Almost Died" and all the other JL heroes don Batman outfits (with characteristics of their own) and fight crime. So. Good.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    saw the prologue in imax today. amazing. but i really cant wait for the second trailer to hit proper HD

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Saw the trailer for this in front of Sherlock Holmes.

1) Go see Sherlock Holmes, if you enjoyed the first one at all. It's really goddamn intense, in the best way.

2) This movie just overtook "Brave" as my most anticipated film of 2012.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    so, is the prologue up on the internet for reals now, or do I have to go looking for a cam or something?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    HooverFan wrote:
    saw it in front of both sherlock 2 and mi:4 in imax... so haunting and sooooo great, anybody that has an issue with hathaway can go straight to hell after this

Yeah, I'm really impressed from what I've seen of her in this movie. Always figured she could pull it off but it's good to have confirmation.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    so, is the prologue up on the internet for reals now, or do I have to go looking for a cam or something?

I'm not sure if the prologue is going to go up - did they ever put the prologue from TDK online?

the new trailer will probably hit next week.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:

I'm not sure if the prologue is going to go up - did they ever put the prologue from TDK online?

They didn't put the TDK prologue up but... didn't they include it with a Batman Begins blu-ray? That turned the prologue into a selling point that they don't have this time around. Still don't expect to see it, but I'd put it at possible.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Official Trailer #2 is officially out for official use, officially at the Apple.com movie trailers official download site.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Kind of hard to really know what's going on in that trailer, aside from the fact that a lot is going on.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Tomanta wrote:
    KalTorak wrote:

They didn't put the TDK prologue up but... didn't they include it with a Batman Begins blu-ray? That turned the prologue into a selling point that they don't have this time around. Still don't expect to see it, but I'd put it at possible.

what..i have the batman begins blu ray and i was not aware of this...i never look at the special features..

ok yeah its just the dark knight, not the dark knight rises

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    I saw on IMDB that Joseph Gordon Levitt will be playing someone named John Blake. I got really excited by that until I remembered Catman's name is Thomas Blake. Oh well.

There's a lot of speculation that JGL is going to be Bruce Wayne's replacement after Bane "breaks the bat". If so that means Bane will be taking out Wayne at about halfway through the film. Thoughts?

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    JGL as Batman?
    I wouldnt have thought he had the physicality. I mean, I guess it could be done. Bale isnt as built as he was in Batman Begins, and I guess JGL could bulk up... ala Edward Norton in American History X. I dont know if it would work though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I saw on IMDB that Joseph Gordon Levitt will be playing someone named John Blake. I got really excited by that until I remembered Catman's name is Thomas Blake. Oh well.

There's a lot of speculation that JGL is going to be Bruce Wayne's replacement after Bane "breaks the bat". If so that means Bane will be taking out Wayne at about halfway through the film. Thoughts?

I wouldn't be surprised, and there's definitely someone walking with a cane in the trailer. Likely Bruce.

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I dug the trailer, although it didn't create as much hype for me as the TDK trailer. It doesn't really give you any idea of what's going on, but it does give you an overall feeling of impending doom/hopelessness, which jives with the whole "this is the end" thing.

We can gleam a few things from both the trailer and the prologue though. Looks like this is indeed a League of Shadows story, and it looks like Bane will indeed "break the Bat" (probably not through the classic backbreaker, given Nolan's proclivity for putting his own twist on things) in some way. Also, looks like their going with the Robin Hood portrayal of Selina.

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Fallingman wrote:
    JGL as Batman?
    I wouldnt have thought he had the physicality. I mean, I guess it could be done. Bale isnt as built as he was in Batman Begins, and I guess JGL could bulk up... ala Edward Norton in American History X. I dont know if it would work though.

Would it be too nerdy to hope for...
    nteCW.jpg ?

I guess Bruce isn't old enough. Anyways, this trailer is great I can't wait to see the movie.

xraydog on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011

This is just my speculation, but I threw in a set photo
    I don't buy him putting on the cowl, but rather leading some sort of resistance while Bruce recovers. Some outdoor scenes had JGL walking around discreetly drawing these symbols on walls:

NC7ks.jpg

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    toxk_02 wrote:

This is just my speculation, but I threw in a set photo
    I don't buy him putting on the cowl, but rather leading some sort of resistance while Bruce recovers. Some outdoor scenes had JGL walking around discreetly drawing these symbols on walls:

NC7ks.jpg
    I like this idea. I mean, Batman Begins had Batman fighting criminals alone, while Dark Knight had him fighting both criminals and nutjob imitators while most of the city turned on him at the slightest push of the Joker. This speculation is the same idea I had for what they mean by Dark Knight Rising.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Bale isn't as huge as he was in BB, but he looks just as strong here as he did in TDK. JGL is way too skinny to be Batman. Hardy could break him like a twig.

It's funny because Bale in BB was noticeably buffer than Hardy is in DKR.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Bale came to TDKR right after The Fighter, where he lost something like 60 pounds to play a crack addict. He did something similar after going to Begins right after the dramatic weight loss of The Machinist, but he didn't have as much time to pack the weight on this time around.

Also, Bale is about 2-3" taller than Hardy, so he can carry more weight.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Bale isn't as huge as he was in BB, but he looks just as strong here as he did in TDK. JGL is way too skinny to be Batman. Hardy could break him like a twig.

It's funny because Bale in BB was noticeably buffer than Hardy is in DKR.

batmanbeyond768862.jpg

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It'd be interesting if JGL did turn into a sort of Batman Beyond after Bane broke Wayne, because minus the crazy and the "eXXTREEEME" factor, the BB suit is similar to the Azrael-Batsuit.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I know a lot of people love it, but I reeeeeeeallly doubt we're ever gonna see anything close to the Batman Beyond suit in a Nolan film.

I'm thinking the Batwing (or whatever it'll be called, I bet in-movie Fox will call it The Pelican or something) will be as close as it gets.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    They call it the Batmobile in movie don't they? I know they call it the Bat-pod.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I know Alfred called it the Bat-pod, I don't remember them ever saying "Batmobile" though. It's always "the Tumbler" or "your baby."

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I squee'd a little bit at the glimpse of Joseph Gordon Levitt in the latest trailer. He's become my favorite actor of this generation after the one-two punch of "500 Days of Summer" and "50-50".

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I squee'd a little bit at the glimpse of Joseph Gordon Levitt in the latest trailer. He's become my favorite actor of this generation after the one-two punch of "500 Days of Summer" and "50-50".

Agreed. He was a childhood favorite during 3rd Rock From The Sun, and I'm so pumped to see him in this. This sounds like a man-crush, but maybe it is...

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    What I find amusing about JGL is back when ledger died, folks were all "look the kid from 3rd Rock from the Sun could come in and play the joker, they look similar!"

And my response, as well as plenty of others was along the lines of "pssh, sure they look similar, but that kid doesn't belong in my nolan film!"

Since then he has earned his way into my Nolan film, to the point where I am pumped to see him there and would be excited if he took over the cowl. Crazy...

616610-1.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    It was Brick that made me appreciate JGL (followed by everything I've seen him in since then).

I spent most of that movie going "Is that the kid from 3rd Rock?"

• Options
    He's a fantastic actor.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm pretty excited about this movie after seeing that trailer.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I am one of the people who advocated him becoming the joker. I made a photoshop and everything...

Needless to say, whatever he does, I expect him to do well. JGL is good stuff.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I remember there was a significant "JGL should be the Riddler!" movement after TDK. Not as big as the Tennant-supporters, but still.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I tried watching Brick. He was fine in it, but it bored the hell out of me and I got about half way through it. I must be bad at movies.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote:
    I tried watching Brick. He was fine in it, but it bored the hell out of me and I got about half way through it. I must be bad at movies.

Don't feel bad. I got bored in it too. It was an ok movie, and he's great in it, but the movie as a whole wasn't awesome.

• Options
    you are both terrible at movies

hand in your movie cards

• Options
    edited December 2011
    JGL is good enough but he doesn't have a 1/10th the acting chops Ledger did

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Ledger was really good, but his death kind of deified him.

Ledger was good enough and delivered a great joker, but he was no Daniel Day Lewis, or any other true master of the craft.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    syndalis wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Ledger was really good, but his death kind of deified him.

Ledger was good enough and delivered a great joker, but he was no Daniel Day Lewis, or any other true master of the craft.

As an actor, no, but his performance as Joker ranks up with the very best performances of all time. Marlon Brando in Waterfront, Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs/TWBB, Robert De Niro in Raging Bull.

Maybe it was a fluke, but if he would have lived I think he could have been the next Brando. Or at the level he was at that age, at least. He was getting better.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    We also need to realize something important...
    this movie is 8 years after the end of TDK... so Batman is older now and is probably not in the greatest of shape after fighting the good fight that long

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan