As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Debt Ceiling Thread Mk II

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote:
    I have a question about this coin plan thing. Pardon my ignorance, but is the Treasury allowed to just mint a new denomination of money? I mean, are there any laws about what they can make and what they can't make? Not asking about amount, just denomination.

There are some laws that govern the weights and measures and abloo about currency in circulation as well as the total amount of circulated paper money, however coinage laws are older than paper ones and this specifically gives the Treasury Secretary discretion.

So typically yes, there are laws and regulations governing the Mint, Engraving and Printing, and Treasury, but when it comes to platinum coins no. They've just never been issued because we've never had a Congress this sociopathic before. At least, not since the Civil War.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    After this, regardless of whether we pull out of this course, I think we can expect that the U.S. Dollar will probably cease to be the world's reserve currency.

Hell of a legacy for our children. "Yeah we used to be on top, but then we let republicans fuck us."

Nope, here's how it will go:

"We used to be on top, but Obama refused to cut the budget like the Republicans asked, and America went bankrupt"

The public perception on this issue literally makes me ill

override367 on
  • Options
    hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    Roanth wrote:
    ronya wrote:
    Tomanta wrote:
    Wait. Gold prices are going up. We are sitting on a bunch of gold. We don't need it to back our currency.

Let's really drive the tea party/paultards and have a yard sale at Ft. Knox.

Not enough gold, especially at the depressed prices of a firesale.

It's a thought, though. Sell the Capitol.

Better idea. Govt goes short gold in every way it can (futures, puts, stock of gold miners, etc.) and announces it is selling all the gold in Fort Knox as quickly as possible.

Cover our short positions, collect profits, call off sale.
    Seems like a slimy way to get it done, particularly since that will not merely pop the gold bubble, but rather will turn the inevitable gold correction into a multi-megaton warhead.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    hanskey wrote:
    Roanth wrote:
    Better idea. Govt goes short gold in every way it can (futures, puts, stock of gold miners, etc.) and announces it is selling all the gold in Fort Knox as quickly as possible.

Seems like a slimy way to get it done, particularly since that will not merely pop the gold bubble, but rather will turn the inevitable gold correction into a multi-megaton warhead.

There's something sort of poetic about it, though. Bet against the American Government? Well, the American Government just decided to bet against you.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    After this, regardless of whether we pull out of this course, I think we can expect that the U.S. Dollar will probably cease to be the world's reserve currency.

Hell of a legacy for our children. "Yeah we used to be on top, but then we let republicans fuck us."

"We used to be on top, but Obama refused to cut the budget like the Republicans asked, and America went bankrupt"

美国缓慢得令人痛苦的债务上限谈判进程,令顽强的美元也开始有些“撑不住”了。过去两天,从瑞郎、日元到韩元、澳元、马来西亚林吉特,对美元的汇价纷纷升至数月、数年乃至有史以来的最高水平。分析人士指出,美元短期的走势,将取决于美国债务上限谈判的进展,不排除一项超出市场预期的协议会促使美元出现短线反弹。但从更长期来看,美元基本面仍不乐观,这次的债务上限风波只是给美元资产持有人敲响了风险警钟。美元的短期剧烈波动和长期疲软,正在通过汇市和大宗商品等渠道不断给全球市场和世界经济带来冲击。

直到本周二之前,美元都没有因美债谈判的一波三折而出现任何异常方向的走势,即便是上周后期的大跌,也主要是缘于欧元大涨带来的“跷跷板”效应。不过,随着8月2日的官方违约大限日益临近,过去两天美元开始颓势尽显,以往在大风大浪之际独享的“避风港”魅力顿失。而从各主要货币的表现来看,美元亦呈现普跌态势:美元对瑞郎本周连续创出历史新低,27日盘中更首度跌破0.8关口;澳元和新西兰元对美元周三双双创出30年新高,澳元对美元突破1.1水平;美元对日元27日再跌0.3%,低见77.57,创下自3月中G7联手干预日元以来的新低。

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

I don't think that is the public perception at all.

Even the conservatives I know, that are not Teabaggers, are pissed at them and definitely not blaming Obama.

It's weird to be hearing essentially the same thing from Progressives and Conservatives, but true Republicans don't like this anymore than Progressives or the independents.

Edit: Of course Fox News's perception and narrative mathes that characterization, but the Emperor lack of clothes is becoming tiresome with that flock of wild flaming geese.

hanskey on
  • Options
    SammyF wrote:
    hanskey wrote:
    Roanth wrote:

There's something sort of poetic about it, though. Bet against the American Government? Well, the American Government just decided to bet against you.

HAHA!

If there wasn't so much sovereign wealth tied up in Gold, then I'd agree.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah someone had a gallup poll where even though obamas negatives are higher than anyone elses, he also had the highest approval on the debt ceiling and the smallest % of "I don't know who that is."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:
    Yeah someone had a gallup poll where even though obamas negatives are higher than anyone elses, he also had the highest approval on the debt ceiling and the smallest % of "I don't know who that is."
    Not quite right. His negative was higher than Boehner's and the same as Reid's, but he had the highest approval rating of the three on the handling of the issue

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    International news are pretty firmly reporting how the GOPtea - party is destroying the us
    US Debt Debate - Annihilating Democracy with the Tea Party

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    RoanthRoanth Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote:
    hanskey wrote:
    Roanth wrote:

It is slimy and would basically destroy the integrity of our financial markets so I was only offering it in jest. Although, seeing the faces of the teapers and glenn beck-ites who have been buying up gold and creating the current bubble when the price crashed would almost be worth it.

• Options
    I guess I have to factor in Obama disapproval numbers also including liberals like myself that grind our teeth with rage over Obama's lack of leadership and acceptance of the framing of the issue, while still being on his side

• Options
    edited July 2011
    How is this a leadership issue on Obamas part? The fucking house can't pass a bill, the GOP is not his party and he's done just about everything he can to get them to pass a bill. So tell me how is Obama failing as a leader that a seperate branch of the government is not doing their job?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Because Congress doesn't exist and the President is a God-Emperor.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    International news are pretty firmly reporting how the GOPtea - party is destroying the us
    US Debt Debate - Annihilating Democracy with the Tea Party

I dunno if it was a year ago that the decline really happened. Really, blaming the Tea Party is, from a socio-historical point of view, silly, when really the Tea Party only represents a culmination of factors that have all eroded the efficacy of the United States democracy over the past decade or so. (If not more.)

• Options
    RoanthRoanth Registered User regular
    Also, going back to the debate about both sides being somewhat responsible for the mess, etc., I don't see how anyone can say the Democrats are being intransigent or holding out for ideological goals when there isn't ONE SINGLE GODDAMN DOLLAR of increased revenue in Reid's bill. The only set of facts that would support the assertion that both sides are being "radical" is if the Democrats in the Senate were floating a bill that increased income taxes on the rich to cover the entire deficit. I can't believe Obama and other Democrats haven't pointed this out more

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm not a huge Jay Carney fan, but Jeebus, I would have gone over the podium at this woman...
    Norah.

Q Jay, you said it’s not that complicated, there’s an easy compromise here. And yet -- and the President is backing Senator Reid’s plan in the Senate. And yet his plan doesn’t have the votes. The Republicans are not onboard on that. And so they say that when they hear from the White House “compromise,” that it’s only directed at the Republicans, that the Democrats aren’t being asked to compromise either.

MR. CARNEY: Norah, I know that you’ve watched this closely enough to understand how untrue that is, because look at Senator Reid’s measure. First of all, it achieves the arbitrary goal -- utterly arbitrary goal -- of doing dollar-for-dollar in deficit reduction -- or spending cuts, rather -- and lifting of the debt ceiling -- a dangerously arbitrary goal, okay?

Q -- some Republicans call phony.

MR. CARNEY: What’s phony about it? It’s their goal.

Q The defense -- Iraq and Afghanistan funding.

MR. CARNEY: Well, if you’re talking about overseas contingency funds, basically funding of our wars, that was accounted for in the Ryan budget -- the much-celebrated Ryan budget in the House of Representatives. It was accounted for in every bipartisan proposal that was seriously addressed in Washington these last several months, including between the Speaker of the House and the President of the United States.

Right. No compromise on the Dem's side. I mean, it's not like they went from "clean hike" to "ok, spending cuts and some revenue increases" to Reid's current "no new revenue, and lets fuck spending for the poor" bill. Fuck right off with that, you silly shit.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    Roanth wrote:
    Also, going back to the debate about both sides being somewhat responsible for the mess, etc., I don't see how anyone can say the Democrats are being intransigent or holding out for ideological goals when there isn't ONE SINGLE GODDAMN DOLLAR of increased revenue in Reid's bill. The only set of facts that would support the assertion that both sides are being "radical" is if the Democrats in the Senate were floating a bill that increased income taxes on the rich to cover the entire deficit. I can't believe Obama and other Democrats haven't pointed this out more

I laughed at the whitehouse.gov image about what factors have what percentage impact on the deficit issue, followed by "Both parties made this mess", which seemed to be the most sarcastic thing ever after seeing the amount of red versus blue on the chart.

"Look, all I'm saying is we both caused this. 90/10 split on cause. See? Both of us. You just caused it a lot harder than I did."

• Options
    Preacher wrote:
    How is this a leadership issue on Obamas part? The fucking house can't pass a bill, the GOP is not his party and he's done just about everything he can to get them to pass a bill. So tell me who is Obama failing as a leader that a seperate branch of the government is not doing their job?
    I'm not a huge Jay Carney fan, but Jeebus, I would have gone over the podium at this woman...
    Norah.

Q Jay, you said it’s not that complicated, there’s an easy compromise here. And yet -- and the President is backing Senator Reid’s plan in the Senate. And yet his plan doesn’t have the votes. The Republicans are not onboard on that. And so they say that when they hear from the White House “compromise,” that it’s only directed at the Republicans, that the Democrats aren’t being asked to compromise either.

MR. CARNEY: Norah, I know that you’ve watched this closely enough to understand how untrue that is, because look at Senator Reid’s measure. First of all, it achieves the arbitrary goal -- utterly arbitrary goal -- of doing dollar-for-dollar in deficit reduction -- or spending cuts, rather -- and lifting of the debt ceiling -- a dangerously arbitrary goal, okay?

Q -- some Republicans call phony.

MR. CARNEY: What’s phony about it? It’s their goal.

Q The defense -- Iraq and Afghanistan funding.

MR. CARNEY: Well, if you’re talking about overseas contingency funds, basically funding of our wars, that was accounted for in the Ryan budget -- the much-celebrated Ryan budget in the House of Representatives. It was accounted for in every bipartisan proposal that was seriously addressed in Washington these last several months, including between the Speaker of the House and the President of the United States.

Right. No compromise on the Dem's side. I mean, it's not like they went from "clean hike" to "ok, spending cuts and some revenue increases" to Reid's current "no new revenue, and lets fuck spending for the poor" bill. Fuck right off with that, you silly shit.

Damn thats a hell of a verbal smacking. I'm sure O'donnel will report that once again Obama is saying no compromise.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:

All part of that nefarious plan to create one world currency. The, uh, let's go with Jews, are all behind it.

Though yea, I love when the Republicans try and "help" our economy they end up bending it over and fucking it right up the ass. I guess we should all be glad they don't want to help us.

"The ten most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the Republican Party and I'm here to help.'"

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    House vote on CNN RIGHT NOW.

Dems voting nay on mass. Republicans have 11 nays.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    How is this a leadership issue on Obamas part? The fucking house can't pass a bill, the GOP is not his party and he's done just about everything he can to get them to pass a bill. So tell me how is Obama failing as a leader that a seperate branch of the government is not doing their job?

He keeps getting on TV and spouting Republican talking points while kind of sort of maybe backing a less conservative stance which is bad but cmon guys its not as bad as yours really, it isn't as bad, the republicans are worse, but our plan requires us to hurt you too.

He's doing their job for them, he's starting with the assumption that his opponents are correct.

override367 on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "I'm a democrat and am here to be your wide receiver"
    kerry_drop_football.jpg

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:

He keeps getting on TV and spouting Republican talking points while kind of sort of maybe backing a less conservative stance which is bad but cmon guys its not as bad as yours really, it isn't as bad, the republicans are worse, but our plan requires us to hurt you too.

He's doing their job for them.

Ok so you have nothing then, ok then just say that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Angry BoidAngry Boid Registered User regular
    What's the best way to profit from this crisis?

Remember in the last economic meltdown some people managed to make a shitload of money.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Demerdar wrote:
    "I'm a democrat and am here to be your wide receiver"
    kerry_drop_football.jpg

Okay.

That's funny.
    Angry Boid wrote:
    What's the best way to profit from this crisis?

Remember in the last economic meltdown some people managed to make a shitload of money.

My understanding of it is that there's really no way to come out ahead. Even if you somehow make a ton of cash that cash is going to lose value.

Basically, everybody's boned. In the world.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

He's doing their job for them.

Ok so you have nothing then, ok then just say that.

He made this a fight about budget discipline without giving a single bit of resistance. The guy is one step short of an empty suit.

override367 on
  • Options
    Haha, wow, Apple now has more cash than the U.S. government. Corporations are amazing sometimes.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote:
    House vote on CNN RIGHT NOW.

Dems voting nay on mass. Republicans have 11 nays.

I know yesterday Reid was ready to have it shot down in the senate right away, any news on if that is still the case?

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    The GOP plan just passed the house.

• Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    We did it! We solved the debt ceiling crisis! U-S-A! U-S-A!

• Options
    enc0re wrote:
    The GOP plan just passed the house.

And it will die immediately in the senate. Great job guys top notch.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    About time.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Angry Boid wrote:
    Haha, wow, Apple now has more cash than the U.S. government. Corporations are amazing sometimes.
    It'll be fun once corporations have bigger "security forces" than states have armies

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

Look, Obama is the one holding the blank checkbook. He's the source of all our woes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AfapwN4RlI

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Angry Boid wrote:
    It'll be fun once corporations have bigger "security forces" than states have armies

That will actually be pretty awesome. Could you imagine what Apple police would look like? Very clean and minimalistic! And iPhone tasers!

Angry Boid on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Sometimes I hate how hyperbolic everyone is on these forums, because I said on Obama's part there's been a leadership and messaging issue people are sandbagging me for saying this entire crisis is Obama's fault, which it isn't. It is the Republican's fault, but just because a hostage taker is the one responsible for the life of the hostages doesn't mean we don't get to criticize how the negotiator handles it when he opens with "okay, maybe we do need to kill a few hostages, I'm with you on that one..."

override367 on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    emnmnme wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

Look, Obama is the one holding the blank checkbook. He's the source of all our woes.
    The president is the master all matter and energy, guys. He's the Avatar!

Lord, kill me now.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Sometimes I hate how hyperbolic everyone is on these forums, because I said on Obama's part there's been a leadership and messaging issue people are sandbagging me for saying this entire crisis is Obama's fault, which it isn't. It is the Republican's fault, but just because a hostage taker is the one responsible for the life of the hostages doesn't mean we don't get to criticize how the negotiator handles it when he opens with "okay, maybe we do need to kill a few hostages, I'm with you on that one..."

I'm with you. This is pretty much a textbook case of weak leadership emboldening the opposition.

• Options
    So you guys are not voting for Obama in 2012?

This discussion has been closed.