As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Move around and stop eating that crap [Weight Loss and Fitness]

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    So... after getting my Fivefingers I took the salesperson's advice and started off slowly. Jogged a little walked a little, not very far.

Today I went to the gym on a friend's membership and jogged for thirty minutes and the backs of my legs, like, the tendons and calves, are already crazy sore. New shoes! Weird!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    hi5 @Lost Salient

also that fitbit looks p cool, my parents got me a new Garmin 405CX because my old garmin is brokened because it's like 6 years old or some butt...wooooo

also also, went in my brother's hot tub while back home and the first thing that happened when i changed into my swim trunks was that him and his wife commented that i looked "ripped"..woo!!! then my brother proceeded to tell me about squatting 405 earlier that day

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    I stopped using fitocracy simply because I find it pretty useless as a metric for progress. I get that some people are really motivated by the arbitrary leveling system, but to me it's pretty dumb and meaningless and potentially drives one to exercise not in a way that makes the most sense for them long term, but to instead focus on exercises that will earn them the most meaningless points.

i don't use it for the points, just as i use foursquare but don't care about the point system

i find it's a good way to log my exercises (which people should do anyway), but then i also get to see what other people are doing for exercises, and also a lot of fitness people are starting to use it more twitter like and post info and links which is good too

i like that

poo
  • Options
    BEAST! wrote:
    hi5 @Lost Salient

also that fitbit looks p cool, my parents got me a new Garmin 405CX because my old garmin is brokened because it's like 6 years old or some butt...wooooo

also also, went in my brother's hot tub while back home and the first thing that happened when i changed into my swim trunks was that him and his wife commented that i looked "ripped"..woo!!! then my brother proceeded to tell me about squatting 405 earlier that day
    nice bro

poo
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    I stopped using fitocracy simply because I find it pretty useless as a metric for progress. I get that some people are really motivated by the arbitrary leveling system, but to me it's pretty dumb and meaningless and potentially drives one to exercise not in a way that makes the most sense for them long term, but to instead focus on exercises that will earn them the most meaningless points.

i don't use it for the points, just as i use foursquare but don't care about the point system

i find it's a good way to log my exercises (which people should do anyway), but then i also get to see what other people are doing for exercises, and also a lot of fitness people are starting to use it more twitter like and post info and links which is good too

i like that
    yeah, same here....i don't care about the points/leveling, i just like to be publicly accountable for my working out and see what everyone else is doing

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Squall wrote:
    so how did everyone do on xmas

lets all recount how much horrible shit we stuffed in our bellies

Turrible.

Went on a trip and ate a bunch of unhealthy junk.

Back to business tomorrow, though! No more holidays to make junk food excuses.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So I found this like last week sometime

and I kinda dropped my jaw at this
    Me May 2010, a month after joining the forums probably around 245ish (weighed the most at 260) imafatass.png

Me today, at 179 048.jpg

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Damn, you've done a fine job! :^:

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Nicely done, Oghulk! I am very impressed.

• Options
    Hah, thanks, I'm honestly just as impressed.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    That's the best part.

Well the best and worst part. Realising that you were at that stage and then doing something about it. I look at pictures of myself from last year and it makes me sad that I let myself get like that and then I look at photos of me this year and I think not bad!

I'm joining the gym at the weekend and I'm gonna drop the last 20lbs and start doing weights so I can feel even better about myself.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not hitting the gym this semester (don't have the time to be able to get in consistently) but I'm going to be running at least 3 miles a night or every other night, and do push ups/pull ups/sit ups and try to drop at least 10, maybe 20 more pounds and get rid of this gut

or at least I will once I figure what's going on with this weird sharp pain right my arm

edit: the shirt i'm wearing is brand new and it's a medium, which is freaking awesome since i've worn a large for as long as I can remember!

Oghulk on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Excellent, Oghulk! Nice work!

I've definitely eaten a whole mess of rich, unhealthy foods over the holidays. But I've been doing well about not overeating said foods. And I've been working out regularly, so hopefully the damage done won't tell on the scale.

Also today while doing the treadmill with the new shoes I took my heartrate and even though I was jogging it was quite good. However, the backs of my legs feel like old rubberbands.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I went from XL to L which was awesome. I'm not sure I'll ever fit into a medium because I'm pretty big naturally.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2011
    Yeah a medium barely fits me and you're a solid 5 inches taller than me.

Tube on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Anyone using fitbit should also sign up for earndit for discounts/free stuff from walking.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    I was doing great before Christmas. Getting back in shape and losing weight, but then Christmas hit and I probably gained 5lbs of fat. So, back in the gym yesterday morning. I decided to take a spin class for the first time in my life. I wore a hoodie all through class and really sweat a lot, but my ass hurt for the rest of the day. I don't think I'll be taking another spin class.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Yes it was hard, you'd better not do it again.

• Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    dave we can be fitnesspal bros again

cuz I gotta drop my holiday weight and maybe a couple more

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I have been doing kind of terrible, food-wise, but I have dropped three minutes off of my 5k time! There's a 10k I was going to do in March, but part of me keeps thinking that I can do the associated half-marathon if I train hard enough. Probably going to do the 10k, but I'm going to register at the last minute and just see where I am then.

I am out of town visiting friends right now and really regretting not packing my running shoes.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Slider wrote:
    I was doing great before Christmas. Getting back in shape and losing weight, but then Christmas hit and I probably gained 5lbs of fat. So, back in the gym yesterday morning. I decided to take a spin class for the first time in my life. I wore a hoodie all through class and really sweat a lot, but my ass hurt for the rest of the day. I don't think I'll be taking another spin class.
    its funny because my reaction to that would be

"it was pure torture and I hated every minute of it so I signed up for 6 weeks of it"

that feeling when you walk away from the days physical torment
    there is no equal

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    I'm not returning to that spin class, not because it was semi-difficult, but because the bicycle seat destroyed my taint.

I'll stick to the treadmill, or better yet, running outside. The sun never fucking goes away here in Arizona.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Slider wrote:
    I'm not returning to that spin class, not because it was semi-difficult, but because the bicycle seat destroyed my taint.

I'll stick to the treadmill, or better yet, running outside. The sun never fucking goes away here in Arizona.
    Disclaimer: I'm not judging you for not wanting to do it; my only intention is to state that I am insatiable masochist.

Also I envy your sunbathed Arizona December!

• Options
    zucchini wrote:
    dave we can be fitnesspal bros again

cuz I gotta drop my holiday weight and maybe a couple more

I got lazy and stopped tracking stuff! I've been hovering around 220 for ages. I joined the gym today though.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Slider wrote:

Get a better taint

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Day 2 of getting my little brother to the gym COMMENCES.

Today: Cardio and light leg workouts.

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Gained a couple pounds eating like a pig and drinking nothin' but snapples and cranberry juice

gonna do some long-distance light jogging today, and if that doesn't make my side hurt I'll keep it up until the doc's

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Well I am now wearing an old belt that didn't fit me for a loooooooooong time.

I am also down a notch on the old belt.

I am wasting away.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    :^:

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I feel really hungry. Just had a grilled cheese and a half but it wasn't very filling.

Stupid normal people food sucks.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Eat more grains and veggies!

No really, stuff with fiber is very filling without being calorie-dense

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Grains are okay.

Veggies could be better.

Blech it all tastes like rubber too.

• Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    Oh dang, I was just talking about fitocracy in the resolutions thread and lo, here is the weight loss thread also (somewhat recently) talking about fitocracy. I'm basically using it in lieu of my usual method of writing things down in a physical journal or keeping a sideblog for it. The relative novelty/newness will help keep me dedicated during these first few habit forming weeks. If anyone wants to be e-friends with me on there, my username is Lexxercise :>

In short, I've regressed to a point that I had promised myself I'd never see again so this year I am setting some very aggressive, ambitious goals. My first goal is to drop 15 pounds by April because I'm going to PAX East and I must look fabulous. If I can achieve that, I feel like I can easily meet my overarching weightloss goal by mid-year. I also want to get back into a nice daily running routine. I used to run 3-4 miles a day, five days a week. Right now I can barely get through one (in addition to 1.5-2 miles of walking).

NOT COOL.

I dropped a couple pounds previous to technically "starting" my effort, so I'm currently at 160 even for Day 1. Goal is 135 by June or July, by which point I'd also like to be running between 3 and 5 miles per day most days of the week. To help fix my eating habits, I'm following the Sonoma Diet with my mom, which almost completely eliminates sugar intake for the first 10 days. Otherwise, it's not very different from how I normally eat when I'm not stress eating like it's my job (lots of veggies and lean protein).

I have a feeling I've posted in this thread before, but at the time I wasn't in a position to follow through with anything (neither mentally nor circumstantially). Now I am.

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    Eat more grains and veggies!

No really, stuff with fiber is very filling without being calorie-dense

Grains are kind of useless, and you'll burn through them quickly only to end up hungry again fairly soon. Lean proteins will give you energy AND satisfy hunger pangs, especially when coupled with fibrous veggies. Carrot or celery sticks with hummus is one of my favorite snacks. One or two slices of whole grain toast with peanutbutter is also a pretty good choice. A handful of almonds will help tide you over till your next meal.

• Options
    here's our group http://www.fitocracy.com/group/3187/

also yeah protein is more satiating

poo
  • Options
    JOIN'D.

And now I go to the gym B)

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    i just joined the group
    i suppose this is the wrong thread for me because i'm underweight, but my fitness level is low enough that the bigman thread scares me so i will hang out in here while i get started

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dude, don't be scared of the bigman thread. It's a very relaxed group of people.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I keep meaning to go to the gym more.

Then I keep getting more surgeries done.
    I look like I've made a vigorous but still failed attempt at suicide, nice big scars on each wrist, and I'm going to get at least one more in the crook of my elbow later this month / next month.

It's hard to go to the gym when your arm is completely dead for a day, and you're under strict instructions to keep it warm and not let it get bashed at all for a few weeks.
    These all sound like excuses because they pretty much are, and I'm a terrible person.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Dude, don't be scared of the bigman thread. It's a very relaxed group of people.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT SQUAT SQUAT RARGH

just kidding the bigman thread is the best thread

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
This discussion has been closed.