Options

I hate the ignore function

13

Posts

  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    see the thing is, no one fucking PMd a mod about shock images being posted, instead they just clicked their fucking ignore buttons.

    Tube on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited March 2007
    Does he mean the spider images that got posted in there?

    Ramius on
    1zxt8dhasaon.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Ramius wrote: »
    Does he mean the spider images that got posted in there?

    I think so, yeah. I would hardly classify those as "shock images". More like "startle and dismay" images.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    spider pictures? oh boo hoo

    Tube on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Y'know, it would be really cool if maybe, Cardboard Tube addressed some of these posts you guys are bringing up.









    :winky:

    Squashua on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    yeah except you can't actually put me on ignore

    Tube on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited March 2007
    1) It's good to be the king.

    2) Squasha, you got an infraction warning the last time you tried to make that lame joke. Granted, that was a misunderstanding, but that doesn't make it less lame. I think you should give it a rest.

    Ramius on
    1zxt8dhasaon.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    dwignore.png

    Phew, thank fuck for that. Can we get back to talking about DMC4 now?


    Yeah... this is why I dislike the ignore function. People can't help but be blatant douches with it.

    syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Here's the way I see it:

    Does my having and using an ignore function hurt you? No. Does my having and using an ignore function greatly increase my enjoyment of the forums? Yes.

    If it doesn't hurt you, and it makes me enjoy the forums way more, I see no reason to get rid of it. Don't like it? Don't use it. It doesn't mean that you have to take mine away from me.

    naporeon on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    Here's the way I see it:

    Does my having and using an ignore function hurt you? No. Does my having and using an ignore function greatly increase my enjoyment of the forums? Yes.

    If it doesn't hurt you, and it makes me enjoy the forums way more, I see no reason to get rid of it. Don't like it? Don't use it. It doesn't mean that you have to take mine away from me.
    I think you're ignoring the fact that people can't help but be douches with it.

    It's like handing out drumsets to the 2nd grade class at Retard Elementary, because, hey, Keith Moon did great things with it, right?

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have been known to speak out against the ignore list.

    I know no one would ever use it against my well-loved ass, but I ahte it nonetheless.

    Nap, you are mistaken to some degree. Giving everyone the ability to make this place what they want it to be instead of what it is inevitably changes what it is.

    I mean, I agree with Engy that the doomsday scenario isn't immediately likely, but the reasoning is the same nonetheless. You can say that ignoring me doesn't affect me or whatever. But, in D&D, for example, just a few key forumers could choose to ignore one another, and suddenly a good chunk of interesting conversation would be nerfed altogether, and that affects everyone.

    And I also agree with Elks, people posting redundant shit that's already been said is annoying enough as it is.

    Yar on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited March 2007
    Assuming you could only ignore a maximum of, say, 3 people...Would that change anyones feelings about the feature?

    Ramius on
    1zxt8dhasaon.png
  • Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've been watching from afar, and I have to agree with Naporeon

    If it's not hurting you, so what? If someone is a blantent douchebag with it, then address that as it comes.


    And I don't see how limiting the amount of people you can ignore is going to solve anything. People are going to complain about the ignore function if it's there or not. Just like sigs (though we can turn them off), and just like avs or whatever else.

    Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Humans have an instinctive nature to complicate things... and they WILL find a way to do it. Complaining is just one tool among many in that toolkit.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nucsh wrote: »
    I've been watching from afar, and I have to agree with Naporeon

    If it's not hurting you, so what? If someone is a blantent douchebag with it, then address that as it comes.
    Again, you're just ignoring the externalities that go along with it.

    Just because one specific person ignoring another specific person doesn't hurt me doesn't mean that having an ignore function doesn't hurt the forum as a whole.

    I mean, really, I don't have kids, I'm over 18, so why should I care if we abolish compulsory education? It doesn't affect me, until, down the road, the country has become third-world because of it.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    see the thing is, no one fucking PMd a mod about shock images being posted, instead they just clicked their fucking ignore buttons.
    Ramius wrote: »
    Does he mean the spider images that got posted in there?
    spider pictures? oh boo hoo

    This would be the using ignore instead of bothering a mod/admin argument in action.

    EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It could go either way, Than

    If we have it, people complain that they're being ignored, someone's being a douche about it, etc
    If we don't have it, people complain that they can't ignore someone's posts because they're being retarded or because they never contribute

    I have yet to see a real situation where the ignore function is being abused (outside of someone rubbing the ignore function in someone else's face), so of course I don't see why it would need to go.

    Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    This would be the using ignore instead of bothering a mod/admin argument in action.
    90% of the forum is using Firefox.

    Adblock it.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nucsh wrote: »
    It could go either way, Than

    If we have it, people complain that they're being ignored, someone's being a douche about it, etc
    If we don't have it, people complain that they can't ignore someone's posts because they're being retarded or because they never contribute

    I have yet to see a real situation where the ignore function is being abused (outside of someone rubbing the ignore function in someone else's face), so of course I don't see why it would need to go.
    It's kinda like a global warming problem, where by the time you've noticed the change for the worse, there's not really anything you can do about it.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    The way I see it, reither keep it or remove it, but just stop agonising over the decision. It isn't really a problem, and much ado about nothing is being made of the possibility of it becoming a problem. Flip a coin, if that is what you need to do.

    There are no bad features, only bad forumers.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    This would be the using ignore instead of bothering a mod/admin argument in action.
    90% of the forum is using Firefox.

    Adblock it.

    The point wasn't the pictures thing.

    The point was Tube sarcastically saying "Oh Boo Hoo," to a minor issue easily solved by ignore.

    Also, I agree with Bri, this thread has an intermittent life span over the past month. Someone pull the trigger already (or don't).

    EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    This would be the using ignore instead of bothering a mod/admin argument in action.
    90% of the forum is using Firefox.

    Adblock it.

    And the 10% of the people who don't use firefox? We use the ignore function.

    And I'm sure as hell not switching to Firefox on a mac, I like Safari.

    Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    see the thing is, no one fucking PMd a mod about shock images being posted, instead they just clicked their fucking ignore buttons.
    Ramius wrote: »
    Does he mean the spider images that got posted in there?
    spider pictures? oh boo hoo

    This would be the using ignore instead of bothering a mod/admin argument in action.

    I would say it's the not being a giant pussy in action.

    Tube on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nucsh wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    This would be the using ignore instead of bothering a mod/admin argument in action.
    90% of the forum is using Firefox.

    Adblock it.
    And the 10% of the people who don't use firefox? We use the ignore function.

    And I'm sure as hell not switching to Firefox on a mac, I like Safari.
    Yes, well, so, of the people who saw that thread, who are also freaked out by spiders, 10% aren't using Firefox.

    So, like, two people? Maybe three? On a one-time thing? Yeah, I see how that's worth putting in a function that risks totally changing the forum culture as a whole.

    Not to mention that they'd have to have already seen the picture in order to be able to know to ignore the user in the first place.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    naporeon wrote: »
    Here's the way I see it:

    Does my having and using an ignore function hurt you? No. Does my having and using an ignore function greatly increase my enjoyment of the forums? Yes.

    If it doesn't hurt you, and it makes me enjoy the forums way more, I see no reason to get rid of it. Don't like it? Don't use it. It doesn't mean that you have to take mine away from me.
    I think you're ignoring the fact that people can't help but be douches with it.

    It's like handing out drumsets to the 2nd grade class at Retard Elementary, because, hey, Keith Moon did great things with it, right?
    It seems like the great majority of people can't help but be douches in their posts.

    Perhaps we should remove that, next?

    There is a level of self-policing involved in any forum, Than. You have to trust people not to be dipshits. If this greatly improves my experience, and doesn't hurt anyone else, then why change it? I know that I'd be pissed if it were removed.

    naporeon on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    There is a level of self-policing involved in any forum, Than. You have to trust people not to be dipshits. If this greatly improves my experience, and doesn't hurt anyone else, then why change it? I know that I'd be pissed if it were removed.
    This is where we're having our fundamental disagreement, here.

    You say it doesn't, and I say the negative externalities that go along with it does.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Not to mention that they'd have to have already seen the picture in order to be able to know to ignore the user in the first place.

    Seriously. But out of curiosity, it sounds like this whole "oh noes! spiders!" thing happened in SE++. So, assuming some asshat decides to do such a thing in a cute little kitten thread, is that the kind of thing an infraction would be handed out over, assuming it was reported? Because if not, that might actually be justification for keeping the ignore function. That way the person who doesn't feel like seeing a bunch of bullshit posts like that can simply ignore them and continue to participate.

    Though how much I care about a cat thread I'm not sure.
    Ramius wrote: »
    Assuming you could only ignore a maximum of, say, 3 people...Would that change anyones feelings about the feature?

    Yeah, that'd make it less objectionable. I'd almost go 2, but at that point it's quibbling. This way you can't simply ignore half a forum, you actually have to choose who is a big enough asshat to be worth a slot in your list. And it would still solve the above "cat thread" problem (however much it's a problem, and however much it can even be solved).

    Though (and while I know it would require some announcement ahead of time) the whole "I'm ignoring you" thing really should be infraction-worthy. I've yet to see it here (well, I think I saw it over in SE++ like once), but I've seen it elsewhere and it's obnoxious as all fuck.
    It seems like the great majority of people can't help but be douches in their posts.

    Perhaps we should remove that, next?

    There is a level of self-policing involved in any forum, Than. You have to trust people not to be dipshits. If this greatly improves my experience, and doesn't hurt anyone else, then why change it? I know that I'd be pissed if it were removed.

    How did you ever manage for the years that we haven't had an ignore function?

    mcdermott on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    It's kinda like a global warming problem, where by the time you've noticed the change for the worse, there's not really anything you can do about it.


    ummm.... WHAT?! o_O


    1) It's nothing like global warming
    2) There's always something I can do about it. I can make it as though there never was an ignore feature in 2 minutes or less.
    3) The doomsday scenarios with respect to the ignore feature are greatly exaggerated, especially since the maximum number of people you can add to your ignore list has been set to 3 for several weeks now.

    Ramius on
    1zxt8dhasaon.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ramius wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    It's kinda like a global warming problem, where by the time you've noticed the change for the worse, there's not really anything you can do about it.
    ummm.... WHAT?! o_O


    1) It's nothing like global warming
    2) There's always something I can do about it. I can make it as though there never was an ignore feature in 2 minutes or less.
    3) The doomsday scenarios with respect to the ignore feature are greatly exaggerated, especially since the maximum number of people you can add to your ignore list has been set to 3 for several weeks now.
    I realize there's always something you can do about it, but by the point we've noticed it's become a problem, the damage is done.

    I realize the doomsday scenario is exaggerated, but I think it can have a more subtle, insidious effect than a lot of people seem to think.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    see the thing is, no one fucking PMd a mod about shock images being posted, instead they just clicked their fucking ignore buttons.
    Ramius wrote: »
    Does he mean the spider images that got posted in there?
    spider pictures? oh boo hoo

    This would be the using ignore instead of bothering a mod/admin argument in action.

    I would say it's the not being a giant pussy in action.

    Your empathy is amazing, sire.

    EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    This is where we're having our fundamental disagreement, here.

    You say it doesn't, and I say the negative externalities that go along with it does.
    If I want to ignore, say, five or six people who I just simply don't get along with, how is that going to harm anyone? Like someone else said, people are suggesting that we just "skip over" posts we don't want to read...how is this any less negative than having an ignore list and getting to pretend that they just don't exist?

    If anything, I would think that not flaming them (or, for that matter, giving them ANY sort of attention) would actually help the forums, if it in fact had any observable effect.
    mcdermott wrote: »
    naporeon wrote:
    It seems like the great majority of people can't help but be douches in their posts.

    Perhaps we should remove that, next?

    There is a level of self-policing involved in any forum, Than. You have to trust people not to be dipshits. If this greatly improves my experience, and doesn't hurt anyone else, then why change it? I know that I'd be pissed if it were removed.

    How did you ever manage for the years that we haven't had an ignore function?
    Wow. What a sad and fallacious argumentative style that is.

    I mean, there was a point that most of us can remember...before cell phones, mp3 players, sophisticated gaming consoles, and efficient home computers. We all seemed happy enough before them, so I guess you wouldn't be pissed if you had to give them up? I mean, that's your reasoning, right?

    Just because we've made do without things before doesn't mean that we'd be happy going back to not having them, friend.

    naporeon on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited March 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    see the thing is, no one fucking PMd a mod about shock images being posted, instead they just clicked their fucking ignore buttons.
    Ramius wrote: »
    Does he mean the spider images that got posted in there?
    spider pictures? oh boo hoo

    This would be the using ignore instead of bothering a mod/admin argument in action.

    I would say it's the not being a giant pussy in action.

    Your empathy is amazing, sire.


    seriously.

    It's just a couple spider pictures in a thread about cat pictures. No empathy is required.

    Ramius on
    1zxt8dhasaon.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    This is where we're having our fundamental disagreement, here.

    You say it doesn't, and I say the negative externalities that go along with it does.
    If I want to ignore, say, five or six people who I just simply don't get along with, how is that going to harm anyone? Like someone else said, people are suggesting that we just "skip over" posts we don't want to read...how is this any less negative than having an ignore list and getting to pretend that they just don't exist?

    If anything, I would think that not flaming them (or, for that matter, giving them ANY sort of attention) would actually help the forums, if it in fact had any observable effect.
    If my kid wants to go to work instead of going to school, how is that going to harm anyone? If I don't pay my taxes, the government won't even notice, so why should they even bother collecting from me?

    Actions which have no effect on anything at small scales can have large effects on everything when taken to larger scales. If you were the only one with an ignore function, I wouldn't give a shit, but since everyone has one, we have to take into account what happens when everyone is doing things with it.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanks, Ramius.

    I love spiders.

    I am not a fan of cats. More indifferent, I'd say.

    Some of those spiders were almost cute, though.

    naporeon on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    naporeon wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    This is where we're having our fundamental disagreement, here.

    You say it doesn't, and I say the negative externalities that go along with it does.
    If I want to ignore, say, five or six people who I just simply don't get along with, how is that going to harm anyone? Like someone else said, people are suggesting that we just "skip over" posts we don't want to read...how is this any less negative than having an ignore list and getting to pretend that they just don't exist?

    If anything, I would think that not flaming them (or, for that matter, giving them ANY sort of attention) would actually help the forums, if it in fact had any observable effect.
    If my kid wants to go to work instead of going to school, how is that going to harm anyone? If I don't pay my taxes, the government won't even notice, so why should they even bother collecting from me?

    Actions which have no effect on anything at small scales can have large effects on everything when taken to larger scales. If you were the only one with an ignore function, I wouldn't give a shit, but since everyone has one, we have to take into account what happens when everyone is doing things with it.
    Yes, and I am not asking how that applies to false analogies.

    I'm asking how you think it could apply here. How would it be any different than my never responding to them directly?

    naporeon on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The example of Mod/Admin indifference has been diffused, situation is nominal.

    EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote:
    How did you ever manage for the years that we haven't had an ignore function?
    Wow. What a sad and fallacious argumentative style that is.

    I mean, there was a point that most of us can remember...before cell phones, mp3 players, sophisticated gaming consoles, and efficient home computers. We all seemed happy enough before them, so I guess you wouldn't be pissed if you had to give them up? I mean, that's your reasoning, right?

    Just because we've made do without things before doesn't mean that we'd be happy going back to not having them, friend.

    Except that long after we had internet forums, and long after other forums had an ignore function, we were fine without one. The masses weren't clamoring for one. I'd be interested to see a poll (has there been one) of forum members as a whole as to whether we should have one, shouldn't have one, or whether they just don't give a shit. I know that last one would win, but I'm wondering what would come in second.

    Hell, want me to really blow your mind? I don't like cellphones either, and if Ramius could turn those off too I'd probably ask him to.

    You're acting as though the ignore function is nothing but a positive that has no drawbacks whatsoever (like, say, faster/efficient computers or gaming consoles). I think it has subtle but very real drawbacks. Enough that I'd not mind seeing it go.

    I mean, the ignore function isn't sliced bread or electricity or birth control pills or anything.

    mcdermott on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    Yes, and I am not asking how that applies to false analogies.

    I'm asking how you think it could apply here. How would it be any different than my never responding to them directly?
    You'd still be able to see what they were posting, and if you posted the same thing a few posts down, we could call you retarded without you having the "oh, he's on my ignore list" crutch to lean on. People will just ignore someone, instead of posting pictures of themselves adding people to their ignore lists, or saying "so ignored" and such.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »
    naporeon wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote:
    How did you ever manage for the years that we haven't had an ignore function?
    Wow. What a sad and fallacious argumentative style that is.

    I mean, there was a point that most of us can remember...before cell phones, mp3 players, sophisticated gaming consoles, and efficient home computers. We all seemed happy enough before them, so I guess you wouldn't be pissed if you had to give them up? I mean, that's your reasoning, right?

    Just because we've made do without things before doesn't mean that we'd be happy going back to not having them, friend.

    Except that long after we had internet forums, and long after other forums had an ignore function, we were fine without one. The masses weren't clamoring for one. I'd be interested to see a poll (has there been one) of forum members as a whole as to whether we should have one, shouldn't have one, or whether they just don't give a shit. I know that last one would win, but I'm wondering what would come in second.

    Hell, want me to really blow your mind? I don't like cellphones either, and if Ramius could turn those off too I'd probably ask him to.

    You're acting as though the ignore function is nothing but a positive that has no drawbacks whatsoever (like, say, faster/efficient computers or gaming consoles). I think it has subtle but very real drawbacks. Enough that I'd not mind seeing it go.

    I mean, the ignore function isn't sliced bread or electricity or birth control pills or anything
    Ha. I'm no fan of cellphones either. ;)

    What "subtle but very real drawbacks" do you envision this having, man? How is my ability to completely pretend that someone doesn't exist going to hurt the forums, even assuming that I have maxed out my list, and have three people ignored? Even if everyone does that, people are still seeing virtually everyone, whereas the posters who annoy them most are practically invisible. The benefits would appear to be self-evident: happier posters, less flaming, etc. But where are these drawbacks you mention?

    naporeon on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    naporeon wrote: »
    Yes, and I am not asking how that applies to false analogies.

    I'm asking how you think it could apply here. How would it be any different than my never responding to them directly?
    You'd still be able to see what they were posting, and if you posted the same thing a few posts down, we could call you retarded without you having the "oh, he's on my ignore list" crutch to lean on. People will just ignore someone, instead of posting pictures of themselves adding people to their ignore lists, or saying "so ignored" and such.
    Right.

    But I'm asking what is being hurt in this instance.

    How is my ability to completely ignore someone potentially deleterious to the forum itself, even if done on a wide scale?

    naporeon on
Sign In or Register to comment.