Options

I hate the ignore function

24

Posts

  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    You realize that the ignore function may have it's uses as a detection device.

    Essentially, if you are a long-time forumer and you use the ignore function, you're not using it lightly.

    So put hte ignore button into use.

    Then run a script against the database for all users who have 10+ ignores by forumers who have been with the PA forums since a certain time (2 years).

    That will indicate potential "problem" users that need to be checked out by a mod and possibly deleted.
    Can you think of a problem user over the course of the past... say... year, who the mods were not aware of?

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Squashua wrote: »
    You realize that the ignore function may have it's uses as a detection device.

    Essentially, if you are a long-time forumer and you use the ignore function, you're not using it lightly.

    So put hte ignore button into use.

    Then run a script against the database for all users who have 10+ ignores by forumers who have been with the PA forums since a certain time (2 years).

    That will indicate potential "problem" users that need to be checked out by a mod and possibly deleted.
    Can you think of a problem user over the course of the past... say... year, who the mods were not aware of?

    I can't, but I am also not one to discard tools out of hand.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2007
    Ramius wrote: »
    But even if we take it away, people will discover a way to do it using Firefox or something...
    This makes it a lot easier, though.

    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    You realize that the ignore function may have it's uses as a detection device.

    Essentially, if you are a long-time forumer and you use the ignore function, you're not using it lightly.

    So put hte ignore button into use.

    Then run a script against the database for all users who have 10+ ignores by forumers who have been with the PA forums since a certain time (2 years).

    That will indicate potential "problem" users that need to be checked out by a mod and possibly deleted.

    Oh great.

    Like the fucking Salem Witch Hunt up in here now.

    Also, weren't join dates going to be removed completely as to make all forumners equalized? Just because you've been here since the dawn of time doesn't make you any more important than a guy who joins yesterday.

    Obs on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    You realize that the ignore function may have it's uses as a detection device.

    Essentially, if you are a long-time forumer and you use the ignore function, you're not using it lightly.

    So put hte ignore button into use.

    Then run a script against the database for all users who have 10+ ignores by forumers who have been with the PA forums since a certain time (2 years).

    That will indicate potential "problem" users that need to be checked out by a mod and possibly deleted.
    I don't think popularity (or lack of) is a useful indicator of behavior.

    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    Also, weren't join dates going to be removed completely as to make all forumners equalized? Just because you've been here since the dawn of time doesn't make you any more important than a guy who joins yesterday.

    I've witnessed join dates be "helpful" multiple times.

    For one, a couple times ther are brand-new posters who come on and sitewhore or post an ad. Can easily tell them from the mob.

    For another, they're helpful for determining who to include on a Secret Santa.

    Squashua on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    Obs wrote: »
    Also, weren't join dates going to be removed completely as to make all forumners equalized? Just because you've been here since the dawn of time doesn't make you any more important than a guy who joins yesterday.

    I've witnessed join dates be "helpful" multiple times.

    For one, a couple times ther are brand-new posters who come on and sitewhore or post an ad. Can easily tell them from the mob.

    For another, they're helpful for determining who to include on a Secret Santa.

    Elitist.

    Obs on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    Squashua wrote: »
    Obs wrote: »
    Also, weren't join dates going to be removed completely as to make all forumners equalized? Just because you've been here since the dawn of time doesn't make you any more important than a guy who joins yesterday.

    I've witnessed join dates be "helpful" multiple times.

    For one, a couple times ther are brand-new posters who come on and sitewhore or post an ad. Can easily tell them from the mob.

    For another, they're helpful for determining who to include on a Secret Santa.

    Elitist.

    Name-Caller.

    Squashua on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Join dates should remain as they are: Viewable in our public profile but not attached to every post we make. That way you can still find out if some obnoxious turd joined yesterday, whereas new, intelligent forumers don't have that embarassing "JOINED : LUNCHTIME" sitting under their avatar.

    Butler on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I agree with Tube's assessment here; it seems like, although ignoring genuine assholes is easier if their posts just never get rendered to your screen, the system will be used to turn off posts from people who say things you don't like.

    Yes, I realize who I am as I post this.

    I don't think it's a good idea because it's the forum equivalent of holding your ears shut and shouting "LALALALA." If you can't handle what someone else is saying, you need to grow a pair, not ignore the person.

    And the more "ignoring" we get going on, the more fragmented and one-sided this community will be and the more minds will be closed. Oh, also, more cliques will exist because of software-aided "out-grouping."

    Defender on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, Defender should really post in this thread.

    Squashua on
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    It just makes people go "HEY LOOK, I AM REMINDING EVERYONE THAT I HAVE <INSERT NAME HERE, MOST LIKELY MINE> ON IGNORE." in every thread.

    If they actually wanted to ignore someone they would just skim over their posts instead of trying to incite people by reminding them about who they have on ignore.

    Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That doesn't make much sense, Borfase. Having someone on ignore doesn't automatically add "I have so-and-so on ignore HAHAHAHAHA" to each post. If they gloat about it, that's a different problem.

    SithDrummer on
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    That doesn't make much sense, Borfase. Having someone on ignore doesn't automatically add "I have so-and-so on ignore HAHAHAHAHA" to each post. If they gloat about it, that's a different problem.

    What I'm trying to say is it's just another tool for people to create drama with. It's really not that hard to just scroll over something you don't want to see. I do it all the time.

    Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2007
    Kill ignore. with fire.

    there is a good possibility that many people who I have come to consider worthwhile posters may have ignored me, or I them, at other times in my posting career, which would have kept me from seeing different perspectives on topics, and would have killed good debate in turn.

    If what someone says is uncomfortable to you, you should deal with it and move on, or respond back and figure out WHY it bothered you.

    If it is disruptive tot he community, then the mods should ban them; not have everyone put them on an ignore list.

    Seriously, Tube... kill it.

    syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    You can quick-show the post, though.

    I think on one side, people feel the ignore is overkill. On the other side, people are afraid of not being heard. If people can already "mentally ignore" you, what's the difference? And so what if people "can't hear another viewpoint" - that only really applies to debates, and people that are already set in their ways are not going to suddenly change their mind if they read your insightful post.

    FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    You can quick-show the post, though.

    I think on one side, people feel the ignore is overkill. On the other side, people are afraid of not being heard. If people can already "mentally ignore" you, what's the difference? And so what if people "can't hear another viewpoint" - that only really applies to debates, and people that are already set in their ways are not going to suddenly change their mind if they read your insightful post.
    I hate the ignore system, and I'm not at all worried about people not hearing me, because they can't ignore me.

    I just think it's going to cause a lot of obnoxious posts from people who are ignoring other people.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I hate the ignore system because it's for pussies.

    Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That doesn't make much sense, Borfase. Having someone on ignore doesn't automatically add "I have so-and-so on ignore HAHAHAHAHA" to each post. If they gloat about it, that's a different problem.

    I know I'm defending Borfase here, so forgive me, but he does have a point. I've seen in many spots in SE++ people going "I am so glad we have the ignore fuction" or "That guy's on my ignore list" after every post a guy makes.

    Whether this is bad or good, I'm not saying. All I'm saying is it does lend towards people posting stupid messages after known trolls or annoying people have posted.

    Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Fallout wrote: »
    I hate the ignore system because it's for pussies.

    That too.

    Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    You know who else should really take a look at this thread?

    syndalis.

    Squashua on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Borfase wrote: »
    Fallout wrote: »
    I hate the ignore system because it's for pussies.

    That too.

    Yeah.

    Defender on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't get the logic here. People are saying that you can just ignore the person yourself and scroll past their post(But then I have to look all the way to the left of the screen to see who posted!), but people are also saying that using the ignore function will cause disjointed threads where there are two conversations going on.
    Now if people can just scroll past posts from users they don't like, and this can cause disjointed conversations just like the ignore function, should we disable scrolling?

    Edit:
    Oh yeah, and anyone who proclaims "Ims ignoring U!" should be taken down for trolling.

    agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2007
    That's a pretty silly and over the top rule to make though, considering the ignore system is apparently fairly controversial anyway.

    Tube on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That's a pretty silly and over the top rule to make though, considering the ignore system is apparently fairly controversial anyway.
    I think it goes without making another rule. It's being a trolling ass hat to say, with or without a magic button to shut someone up.

    agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2007
    In general if a policy is going to result in ten people getting jailed over the course of a day it's normally best to point it out to them beforehand.

    Tube on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    At any given time, there are a handful of people whose opinions I'm simply not interested in reading. The ignore function just makes it a little simpler to do so, and makes my v-scroll bar that much shorter as well. I'd still periodically read a few of their posts, to reevaluate my stance on them, but to me this is no different from reading them regularly, then "dealing with it and moving on". I was likely going to do that anyway.

    Didn't know about it becoming a regular phrase in SE++ though, it's been a little while since I spent some time in there.

    SithDrummer on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm against it because someone who may not make a meaningful contribution to one forum (say SE) may still be worth reading on another (G+T).

    And because ignore is for pussies.

    plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I absolutely cannot stand ignore functions. Anyone who is truly being disruptive is going to get banned. If they're not being truly disruptive, then, IMO, its a petty squabble that should be dealt with as an adult: suck it up or just not read what they have to say the old fashioned way.

    I think that too often, ignore functions are also just used as a way to ensure that you're getting the last word in. But that also just seems to fall into the "petty" category.

    And pretty much what japan said about awkward threads due to not being aware of half the conversation.

    In summation, I really have nothing new to add, just adding my two cents to the "hate it" side.

    VoodooV on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Keep it. We're a (generally) mature community, we can make good decisions. I have two people on my ignore list, not because of the first post I've ever read that they have made, but because they have managed to say something I disagree with in every post they make, or close to it. If I want to see their posts, I can. But I think it might cut down on flaming a bit, because you don't (always) immediately react to all of the bullshit you (might) see.

    If it goes that's fine, but it's much easier than looking at the every user who made a post in the thread before reading what they've written.

    I don't think it's rude, either. If anything, it's eliminating potential flamebait from users some people don't like. And even if I do ignore you, how would you know? I'm not egotistical enough to go, "You've been ignored!"

    Bottom line: it's a nifty feature, but not important enough that I would be disappointed if it left. I'll just go back to ignoring people the way I used to.

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If it weren't for Ketchem I would wholeheartedly agree that there should not be an ignore function. As it is I am not sure.

    RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't like it because that means I no longer have a place in the community


    that said, I like its presence. It's a powerful tool that no doubt can be exploited in several ways.

    Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    It just seems like its highly passive aggressive. "Oh I don't like what you have to say IGNORE", and going on to sit in your happy little bubble thinking you're right.

    siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I suppose to combat the arguement of genuine commentary being provided by a person on your ignore list. If that person is quoted in a thread for their contribution then you would see it, correct?

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    Keep it. We're a (generally) mature community, we can make good decisions. I have two people on my ignore list, not because of the first post I've ever read that they have made, but because they have managed to say something I disagree with in every post they make, or close to it.

    Controversy is the spice of life

    Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It just seems like its highly passive aggressive. "Oh I don't like what you have to say IGNORE", and going on to sit in your happy little bubble thinking you're right.
    How is that different from ignoring them without the function?

    SithDrummer on
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    It just seems like its highly passive aggressive. "Oh I don't like what you have to say IGNORE", and going on to sit in your happy little bubble thinking you're right.
    How is that different from ignoring them without the function?

    Because instinctively, you're probably going to read what they're posting, which tends to pop your bubble.

    Ignoring them lets you go right on pretending they're not even there. Like I said, highly passive agressive. You don't even have to LOOK at how they're disagreeing with you. Just ignore them and voila! You're right.

    siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The ignore function sure seemed to come in handy when people started posting shock images in the cat pictures thread. Also I like the ignore feature as it's just a simpler way to clean up fluff you're 99% sure is of no value. It's like removing signatures: you get more relevant posts.

    People are already putting forth doomsday scenarios of everyone ignoring half of the people on the board, but there's no basis for believing this. Keep ignores on. If it becomes a real problem, take it out. I don't think it will be used nearly as much as everyone complaining about it thinks it will. Besides, all it's doing is making people scroll more to ignore people. It's very possible just to visually scan for that avatar and ignore what they have to say. Trying to ban the concept of ignoring someone's post is rather asinine.

    RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited March 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

    [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I believe Katchem_Ash has the entire forum on "ignore", permanently.

    Brolo on
Sign In or Register to comment.