As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VERY STRONG OPINIONS ABOUT FILM [CHAT] thread

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Mustang wrote:
    There really needs to be an AC paddling pool that where you get used to the water temperature before you start doing laps. That being said it's not as bad as it used to be here, when I first arrived this place was the critical equivalent of Mike Tyson's right hook.

I'm pretty sure we used to have a lurker thread for exactly this purpose. Maybe it's time to remake it and lure a few more lurkers from the woodwork?

Prox, happy polar-circumnavigation day!

Flay on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Mustang wrote:
    There really needs to be an AC paddling pool that where you get used to the water temperature before you start doing laps. That being said it's not as bad as it used to be here, when I first arrived this place was the critical equivalent of Mike Tyson's right hook.
    Oh man, but that's why I loved it. Even though I was a noob, I could see how seriously everyone took their shit, and it was like for reals without being too for reals like ConceptArt.org, but also 100x more for reals than the CAD forums the I had migrated from (the horrors...). It's a nice environment here of people who are actually in the industry, people who are trying it out/starting, and hobbyists.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    In my first thread I asked what everyone's favorite font was. Grifter called me a "massive tool".

This made me laugh way too hard.

Also I have a lot of favorite fonts, MT. I will be a massive tool with you!

We are giant art nerds.

• Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    Man I am starting a webcomic right now and I don't know how to feel.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Feel excited!

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Feel excited!

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    squidbunny wrote:
    Feel excited!

• Options
    squidbunny wrote:
    Feel excited!

• Options
    squidbunny wrote:
    Feel excited!

/feel excited.

I actually am! Look forward to it you guys. I've posted some stuff on my facebook. Page 3 should be finished in a couple hours.

No word from titmouse. I might have to become a vacuum salesman.

But at least I will be employed!

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

• Options
    Man are you guys seeing this Axe comic thing?

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/01/the-sweet-smell-of-sexism-wafts-through-the-axe-cologne-comic/

Those people should be selling vacuums.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    I wish that shit was surprising. Axe really is a blight in every way.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    Prox, tell us about your new job!

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    But...everytime I spray that shit, bitches jump out of my closet to rub my pectorals.

A web-Prox-comic!?, did you start a thread, it might be nice to have it gathered in one spot?

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    One more year closer to dying
    Rotting organs ripping, grinding
    Biological discordance
    Birthday equals self abhorrence

Happy Birthday Prox!!

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    @Seigfried your melodious prose fills me with warm fuzzies.

@magictoaster My new job is basically to sell vacuums door to door. The commute is pretty bad though. But Titmouse did not get back to me yet so I'll have to go with this one.

@earthwormadam My web comic isn't launched yet. I'm going to try and get 30 in the buffer before I launch. I'll be premiering a comic at wondercon and then later in an online store.

Here's a preview: http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/proxzee/sando_1.jpg

• Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    I like it!

So the Fabricator is a food fabricator?

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    oh goddamn.
    that really makes me want to pick up real painting again. I have got to get a bigger apartment.

still haven't finished my secret santa and would you believe I haven't even finished my christmas cards? I'm having trouble getting motivated on that, though. Christmas is terribly uninspiring.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I was going to say that I was gonna copy that dudes art skillz, but after seeing him paint at that skill level, I think I'll just try to copy his beard style. (minus the grey)

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    What the fuck. I was all "What's so impressive, I could probably do that" for the first 2 min or so.

Then it got all mind blowing and I have no idea how he went from scratchy pencil lines to smooth nearly edgeless paints.

One of these days I'm going to have to fool around with some real paint and then commit seppiku when I realize i'm not capable of doing that :lol:

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    You must not be very familiar with Donato if you thought "What's the big deal" as he was beginning.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Happy birthday Proximo!

Also I really want to learn how to paint, but real paint frightens and confuses me.

• Options
    Scosglen wrote:
    You must not be very familiar with Donato if you thought "What's the big deal" as he was beginning.

I'm not familiar with most artists. I like art but I never really track an individual artist down and look at everything they've done.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    Augh another marketing department that ought to be ashamed of itself: http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=7432

Soul Calibur doesn't need to resort to that kind of shit; people are excited about it. It's got Ezio. Etc..

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    squidbunny wrote:
    Augh another marketing department that ought to be ashamed of itself: http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=7432

Soul Calibur doesn't need to resort to that kind of shit; people are excited about it. It's got Ezio. Etc..

Uggghhhhh
    UGGGHH

I re-tumbled a post I saw the other day that is relevant:
    "Gamers get hella uncomfortable over male sexuality too. Can you imagine a “good male character who just happens to be wearing sexually exploitative outfits because he’s ok with his masculinity?” Constantly has the camera pan lovingly over his asscrack and firm glutes, and big ole dangly ballsack that is totes sweaty from all this MMA and soldiering. Time to hit the showers, and do you, personally, think it’s ok to have a long slow pan up the dude’s package (indiscreetly hidden in a jock of course), to his chiseled physique and erect nipples (pierced). He’s not even a Bond-esque confident man, he’s basically a weird Bowie caricature that’s constantly having near-dickslips in every single cinematic as the completely nonsexualized female characters do their business of being gruff and shooting dudes and advancing the plot. Finally, at the end he falls in love (out of nowhere) and/or is killed by the big baddie."

-a forum post I read recently, trying to give a solid example of what ‘male objectification in gaming ’ would actually look like if it was anything equivalent to current female objectification in gaming. (via nothingbutsurrender)

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I saw that tumble

it was a good one. Good post.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    But Tynic!! The, "completely nonsexualized female characters do their business of being gruff and shooting dudes and advancing the plot" are sexy to male gamers too!!

Except I can't even make that point jokingly, because it just leads to your brain going, Then why don't they actually do that if those portrayals are considered appealing and attractive as well?

and then I get sad

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    “good male character who just happens to be wearing sexually exploitative outfits because he’s ok with his masculinity?” Constantly has the camera pan lovingly over his asscrack and firm glutes, and big ole dangly ballsack that is totes sweaty from all this MMA and soldiering. Time to hit the showers, and do you, personally, think it’s ok to have a long slow pan up the dude’s package (indiscreetly hidden in a jock of course), to his chiseled physique and erect nipples (pierced). He’s not even a Bond-esque confident man, he’s basically a weird Bowie caricature that’s constantly having near-dickslips in every single cinematic as the completely nonsexualized female characters do their business of being gruff and shooting dudes and advancing the plot. Finally, at the end he falls in love (out of nowhere) and/or is killed by the big baddie."

That sounds like the funniest thing ever.

However, having Ezio had already turned me off Soul Calibur 5 in the same manner that Vader and Yoda turned me off 4. Boobs ain't going to fix the fact that they have to use other peoples IP to sell their game.

Mustang on
  • Options
    I dunno; I think of all the random other-IP characters they've pulled in Ezio is the best fit. Soul Calibur has a ... uh ... renaissanceish aesthetic and Ezio is made of knives. It seems a far saner crossover to me than Vader or Yoda (which annoyed me too) or Link or Spawn.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    It's funny and ridiculous when you think of it being done with a male character, but completely standard when it's a female one. Bleecchh.

But yeah, I haven't played a Soul Calibur game in a long while.

• Options
    To be honest I find the whole sexy video game girl all kinds of ridiculous too. Though it's less ridiculous than it used to be, Lara Croft I'm looking at your pointy pixelated mid 90's breasts and angular backside.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Now all I can think about is how much I want a Bayonetta sequel with local coop where player 2 is a hypersexualized male with similarly ludicrous proportions and all the aforementioned stuff. Maybe his clothing is in fact his magical schlong, wrapped around his body to form a catsuit.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    To me, the crazily muscled guys are the male version of the super sexy girls. I guess they aren't sexualized but they are stupidly over the top like the super sized tits.

There has to be at least a couple games that sexualize the male character. Probably from Japan because they seem to be more comfortable with that kind of thing.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Nappuccino wrote:
    To me, the crazily muscled guys are the male version of the super sexy girls.

Super muscly guys are a male power fantasy, not a females.

Also yeah, there are a lot of instances where Japanese games purposefully make a male character sexy. But they do it without removing 95% of his clothes or having him bend over furniture constantly.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2012

holy wow
    for me it's far more gratifying to see the process of a painting being made than it is to regard the finished product
    there's something magical about seeing that image being constructed from scratch

Tam on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Kochikens wrote:
    Nappuccino wrote:
    To me, the crazily muscled guys are the male version of the super sexy girls.

Super muscly guys are a male power fantasy, not a females

Also yeah, there are a lot of instances where Japanese games purposefully make a male character sexy. But they do it without removing 95% of his clothes or having him bend over furniture constantly.

I agree that they aren't the same in practice but I think they have the same intent.

Also,

Vagrant Story had men in assless pants. Atleast... i think that's what those were.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Wrong thread

SquiddyBiscuit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Just beat Bastion, I have not had such a hard time putting a game down in a while. Like whoa.

Also: bacon, thanks for telling me not to listen to the soundtrack before hand. Made it that much better.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    In my first thread I asked what everyone's favorite font was. Grifter called me a "massive tool".

This made me laugh way too hard.

Also I have a lot of favorite fonts, MT. I will be a massive tool with you!

We are giant art nerds.

The first time I bought a font I felt a little awesome and a little ashamed.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Prox: I hope that's legitimate...there are programs out there to "sell vacuums door to door" that are giant scams. Kirby is one, I think.

This discussion has been closed.