As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[East] Hotel Discussion Thread *Westin Waterfront & Seaport are SOLD OUT*

• Options
    basselopebasselope Registered User regular
    woot! got into the Westin with my buddies

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Keep in mind that once this link goes "public" on twitter that the westin will sell out VERY quickly. Expect it to go live on twitter as the main site any time now.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    SammySammy Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote:
    Keep in mind that once this link goes "public" on twitter that the westin will sell out VERY quickly. Expect it to go live on twitter as the main site any time now.

*smacks forehead* right twitter. Don't know why I forgot about that.
    okay well hopefully it'll work out, if not that's alright, Seaport doesn't bother me. :)

Go Team !Squirtle!!!! Nurse Joy Pokecrawl '11

PAX EAST 2012: HOTEL [X] FLIGHT [] PASSES [X] TIME OFF []
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    zerzhul wrote:
    Was there a common variable between the people that got bumped from the Westin last year? Late checking in? I'd think calling a day or two before to confirm an approximate arrival time would secure the room for real real.

No. The Westin sold OnPeak more rooms than they had available due to expecting many people to cancel. They did not understand that this doesn't really happen for PAX. One key thing is that booking through OnPeak gives some semblance of protection against this as they will try incredibly hard to prevent it from happening whereas the hotel itself may not be as diligent if you booked direct.

Edit: there was also a communication issue between The Westin and OnPeak that resulted in some people not finding out about this as soon as they should have. Considering the monster shitstorm that resulted last year, I would expect that both OnPeak and The Westin will be on top of things for this year.

there did seem to be trend, in that it was people in double bed rooms getting bumped, not people with single kings, because those rooms were the ones they oversold. i remember some people saying they were offered a single king room at westin, but usually they had too many people for that to be an option. but yeah, obviously it was westin's first experience with pax and it's pretty unlikely that will happen again.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    Timed exclusive over! I'm tweeting this.

< devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Just booked at the Westin for Thursday-Sunday AM, stoked as shit!

Just need to get another friend on board :-/

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Just booked the Westin too - my wife and 7 year old are coming with but I think we're going to offer out the other bed to try to offset some of the expense. Can't wait!

• Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    heels wrote:

I had already beaten you too it. I saw it on Google+ before I saw it here and had already tweeted it for Cookie Brigadiers.

• Options
    CraZyMuffinCraZyMuffin Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Westin! Although I did enjoy the trek to the convention center this year, it will be nice to not have to drag all that swag back!
    heels wrote:

Thanks for the tweet! Thats how i found out!

CraZyMuffin on
  • Options
    KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2011
    ugh, westin out of 2 double bed rooms already for a thurs-mon stay. guess i'll book at the seaport for now and hope more 2x doubles become available.

Kjeldor on
  • Options
    heels wrote:

thanks for the exclusive, heels! so happy i have my coveted westin room already!

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    MasterRokkuMasterRokku Registered User regular
    Kjeldor wrote:
    ugh, westin out of 2 double bed rooms already for a thurs-mon stay. guess i'll book at the seaport for now and hope more 2x doubles become available.

Wow, already?!?!! Glad I got mine yesterday. Thanks again to Punzie for alerting her followers via twitter.

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    ransim wrote:
    heels wrote:

I had already beaten you too it. I saw it on Google+ before I saw it here and had already tweeted it for Cookie Brigadiers.

he meant having it tweeted from the official pax channel

• Options
    bigo2magsbigo2mags Registered User regular
    Booked at the Westin - First PAX East :lol:

What's the difference between the Single and Double? They were both the same price and both only had a King size bed so I just picked the double. I follow the same mantra at McDonald's and it's always steered me right, just curious about what I chose exactly. Double room occupancy? Double blankets and pillows? Double toilet stalls?

userbar694334an1.gif
    userbar741514.gif
  • Options
    jar37jar37 Registered User regular
    What just happened? Was that just a trial run of hotel booking? The site no longer works.

• Options
    dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    Double room occupancy.

• Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    Cry "PAX!" and let slip the nerds of yore.
    That this great event shall reign above the earth
    With teeming nerds, groaning for hotels.

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options
    bigo2magsbigo2mags Registered User regular
    Double room occupancy.

Thaaaank you!

userbar694334an1.gif
    userbar741514.gif
  • Options
    nemo618nemo618 Registered User regular
    A couple questions, 1. does double occupancy mean 4 people (a double couple.)
    2. is anyone else having a problem with picking the amount of guests? mine keeps resetting to one, not that I really care much I'll pack that room full if I have to.

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    nemo618 wrote:
    A couple questions, 1. does double occupancy mean 4 people (a double couple.)
    2. is anyone else having a problem with picking the amount of guests? mine keeps resetting to one, not that I really care much I'll pack that room full if I have to.

Quad occupancy means 4 people. Double occupancy means two...

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    bigo2mags wrote:
    Double room occupancy.

Thaaaank you!

Mmmm, I don't think so, "Double" is generally referring to the bed(s) in the room. So a "Double - Double" room would be 2 Double beds a "Single- Double" is a room with 1 Double bed. Occupancy is a separate item on the form, you can have room occupancy 4 in a "Double - Double" room.

Exodus1 on
  • Options
    dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Nemo618: I didn't fill out the names of the people staying in my room on that one page. Then on one of the last checkout pages I noticed the dropdown said one guest again. It probably doesn't matter but I changed that number to the number of guests I originally selected during the registration. Hope that helps!

Exodus: That may be true actually, I was just responding from memory when I signed up last night (bad memory).

dalaamprince on
  • Options
    while I was selecting the options it was giving me were single occupancy - 1 king bed, and double occupancy - 1 king bed. so by that it would mean double occupancy is 2 king beds in the same room for how ever many people.

• Options
    Nemo618: I didn't fill out the names of the people staying in my room on that one page. Then on one of the last checkout pages I noticed the dropdown said one guest again. It probably doesn't matter but I changed that number to the number of guests I originally selected during the registration. Hope that helps!

I also changed it from 1 to more and when I went back again it was back at 1.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    nemo618 wrote:
    while I was selecting the options it was giving me were single occupancy - 1 king bed, and double occupancy - 1 king bed. so by that it would mean double occupancy is 2 king beds in the same room for how ever many people.

Edit: Yea, a "Double-King" should be 2 king beds....I dunno...that's how I always interpreted it.

Exodus1 on
  • Options
    Exodus1 wrote:
    nemo618 wrote:

Edit: Yea, a "Double-King" should be 2 king beds....I dunno...that's how I always interpreted it.

Well it makes sense when you write it that way but when it's written "double occupancy - 1 King bed" it gets confusing lol but thank you for your help that clears that up. Now if I can just get down to the amount of guests part.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Exodus1 wrote:
    nemo618 wrote:

since there are triple and quad listings and i'm pretty sure they don't have rooms with four beds, it's probably safe to say the first "double" refers to occupancy [ie two people]. the second "double" or "king" indicates if your room has 2 double beds or one king (i also don't think there are rooms with just one double bed). i think you were right that it's just onpeak not being synced with the hotel that requires you to answer about occupancy twice.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    nemo618 wrote:
    Exodus1 wrote:
    nemo618 wrote:

Well it makes sense when you write it that way but when it's written "double occupancy - 1 King bed" it gets confusing lol but thank you for your help that clears that up. Now if I can just get down to the amount of guests part.

I called the Westin, they sent me to their reservations line (I booked a Triple-Double, and I want to know what that means lol). The gentleman on the phone said the Westin does not have any rooms with 2 King beds in it, and he was really confused when I said I booked a "Triple-Double". My guess is the Westin booking isn't syncing well with the OnPeak site, be sure to read very carefully the number of beds in the room and mark the occupancy in the separate space they provide.

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Exodus1 wrote:
    nemo618 wrote:

Glad to know I'm not the only one who wondered. Maybe it has to do with how one room is arranged for one guest while the other is for a couple (bit more room, closet space, more towels, etc).

Funny thing is that I book hotels from time to time so I should know this. On the other hand I usually book my hotels over the phone and don't use "hotel speak". I just blurt out what I would like to have and they do their voodoo magic.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    I'm confused, are people still accessing the page? I can get the link on the front page to work but then if I try and go beyond there it says the session has time-out or I followed a link. Am I doing something wrong or is it closed for now?

• Options
    Exodus1 wrote:
    nemo618 wrote:
    Exodus1 wrote:
    nemo618 wrote:

I called the Westin, they sent me to their reservations line (I booked a Triple-Double, and I want to know what that means lol). The gentleman on the phone said the Westin does not have any rooms with 2 King beds in it, and he was really confused when I said I booked a "Triple-Double". My guess is the Westin booking isn't syncing well with the OnPeak site, be sure to read very carefully the number of beds in the room and mark the occupancy in the separate space they provide.

it is my understanding that they have rooms with one king or two doubles. that's it. anything else refers to occupancy, which is relevant because they charge extra for more people due to extra wear on the room, use of linens etc.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    MesoianMesoian Registered User regular
    Got mine. Double at the Westin.

So does this mean reg will be up soon?

• Options
    edited October 2011
    tvethiopia wrote:
    Exodus1 wrote:
    nemo618 wrote:
    Exodus1 wrote:
    nemo618 wrote:

it is my understanding that they have rooms with one king or two doubles. that's it. anything else refers to occupancy, which is relevant because they charge extra for more people due to extra wear on the room, use of linens etc.

I agree, but it's still weird, since right now there is a "single" or "double" king room for the same price....ahh well, I got my room in the Westin I suppose I should be happy.

Exodus1 on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    jar37 wrote:
    I'm confused, are people still accessing the page? I can get the link on the front page to work but then if I try and go beyond there it says the session has time-out or I followed a link. Am I doing something wrong or is it closed for now?

The link in this thread is still working fine. Is that what you mean by front page?

Try on another browser, or something like that, because people are still having it work just fine.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Yeh, I don't know why it's not working for me. I can click the link on the first page of forums, which gets me to the hotle site but when I choose how many people/date range it say session timed out.

• Options
    I guess the only thing I can really do is check back tomorrow or another day once the sites calmed down a bit to see what they offer me. And if it still isn't working I'll call the Westin to see what they say.

But the real big unanswered question that I have on here is, what if I want to bring up two hookers for the night, does that increase my occupancy?

• Options
    HuskyDorkHuskyDork Registered User regular
    For those who stayed at the Westin, are roll-aways available?

LQckybu.png
  • Options
    ok, working, needed to clear out cookie blocks

• Options
    And nooooooow relax........ booked for the Westin. Pricey but oh so convenient.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Regarding occupancy:

single occupancy - 1 king bed - This means that there is a single king bed in the room, and one person will be in the room.
    double occupancy - 1 king bed - This means that there is a single king bed in the room, and two people will be in the room.

double occupancy - 2 double beds - This means that there are two double beds in the room, and two people will be in the room.
    triple occupancy - 2 double beds - This means that there are two double beds in the room, and three people will be in the room.
    quad occupancy - 2 double beds - This means that there are two double beds in the room, and four people will be in the room.

What you're telling them is how many people will be staying there. Some hotels may offer different choices than these 5 I've listed, but I hope this clears up any confusion for the most part.

This largely has to do with things like fire code, number of towels/toiletries and the like. More often than not, occupancy in and of itself does NOT change the actual room.

zerzhul on