As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[East] Hotel Discussion Thread *Westin Waterfront & Seaport are SOLD OUT*

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Korvas wrote:
    I have a question on the parking at the westin, for anyone who went last year... How much is it and are there any problems with it? I thought I remembered reading last year that some people were having problems with it? or maybe that was some where else... just trying to formulate my driving arrangements and such early thanks!

I stayed and parked at the Westin last year. I believe it was around $35/night self-park unlimited in and out. I do not know if they had an option for no in/out but I don't believe they did.

I had no problems.

• Options
    CARTER-A259CARTER-A259 Registered User regular
    Ugh, bad form PAX. Been checking the websites for months, and you decide to post on the forums? Now I'm unable to get into the Westin. Contemplating just not going.

Bad form.

• Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's unfortunate that it wasn't announced on the main PAX site, but the twitter feed has always been billed as the main source for up-to-date info and it was on there the day it went live.

This is why I am active on the forums, basically from September through April, and then disappear from April til the next August.

*rubs hands together and waits for BYOC announcements*

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    Either way, there's going to be a lot of pissed off people when it finally gets posted on the website and most of the hotels end up being already sold-out.

Not everyone has a twitter either, or wants to. Its just shortsightedness.

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Well if you want the most current up to date info...

You don't have to /use/ twitter. You could just set it up for text following to your phone, follow the PAX account, and be done with it. That way you can get an SMS everytime theres a major announcement.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    BigRed wrote:

You don't have to /use/ twitter. You could just set it up for text following to your phone, follow the PAX account, and be done with it. That way you can get an SMS everytime theres a major announcement.

I find it absolutely amazing that a convention as big as PAX would have an issue adding a link to their website and an announcement in conjunction with a twitter post.

Heck Anime Boston can do it, and they're 1/3 the size.

• Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    Either way, there's going to be a lot of pissed off people when it finally gets posted on the website and most of the hotels end up being already sold-out.

But if it's sold out why does it matter? The people who paid attention got what they wanted and the people who are just casual get to stay somewhere else.

<ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I totally understand the frustration that it didn't hit the main page, and I know it's not ideal, but there will be plenty of folks (myself included) posting that they have space available in rooms. The first pax east I booked a room and took in a few people, last year I did the opposite and stayed with someone who booked at the Seaport. This year, I booked and am going to again offer out some of the space. It actually can be fun staying with random people (despite the fact my coworkers think I'll end up in a bathtub of ice missing internal organs).

• Options

But if it's sold out why does it matter? The people who paid attention got what they wanted and the people who are just casual get to stay somewhere else.

Because I was under the impression that the announcement would be everywhere at once, instead of favoring a few. It was announced on twitter and facebook, but not on the website, This thread isn't even stickied. Pardon me for thinking that it would be professionally handled, when it obviously wasn't.

Do i get rewarded for checking the website? Guess not.

So now I have to deal with even more crap (lugging costumes and items to and from the convention center) because this was handled badly, subsequently making MY convention even worse should I actually attend.

• Options
    Obsolete ModelObsolete Model Registered User regular
    A lot of us have been checking the forums and watching twitter daily since PAX Prime just waiting for our chance to get into the hotel we wanted. It's a public forum and anyone can check it at anytime. No one was excluded, just rewarded for being pro active.

• Options
    Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    Ugh, bad form PAX. Been checking the websites for months, and you decide to post on the forums? Now I'm unable to get into the Westin. Contemplating just not going.

Bad form.

I think it would be bad form if they didn't reward those that frequent these forums and follow them on twitter (most likely people who go every year), plus it also gives enforcers an early shot at nearby hotels which is important as well.

• Options
    This is not a complaint thread. After PAX East, there will be a suggestions thread and those who feel that the hotel link setup is not being handled right can post a constructive reasonable suggestion there. Until then, you're not going to change anything by complaining in a discussion thread about the hotel options.

Let's get this back on topic.

• Options
    I totally understand the frustration that it didn't hit the main page, and I know it's not ideal, but there will be plenty of folks (myself included) posting that they have space available in rooms. The first pax east I booked a room and took in a few people, last year I did the opposite and stayed with someone who booked at the Seaport. This year, I booked and am going to again offer out some of the space. It actually can be fun staying with random people (despite the fact my coworkers think I'll end up in a bathtub of ice missing internal organs).

I actually wouldn't be as upset if it was just me attending, but I'm bringing my g/f as well, and unfortunately it puts a damper on relaxation and getting away from the crowd if one ends up in a room with several other people.

I think the best I can do is different nights at various different hotels, and trying to snag an extra night at the Westin when cancellations start to roll in.

If anything, this has made me want to be LESS involved and pro-active with the community. I have never actually seen a convention of any sort forego a website announcement, and not tell that they won't be announcing anything on the website.

It wouldn't even be an issue if there were still rooms available, but there aren't.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote:
    This is not a complaint thread. After PAX East, there will be a suggestions thread and those who feel that the hotel link setup is not being handled right can post a constructive reasonable suggestion there. Until then, you're not going to change anything by complaining in a discussion thread about the hotel options.

Could this thread at least be stickied? So others can find it easier? AFAIK this is the only link on the forums to the website.

• Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular

Because I was under the impression that the announcement would be everywhere at once, instead of favoring a few. It was announced on twitter and facebook, but not on the website, This thread isn't even stickied. Pardon me for thinking that it would be professionally handled, when it obviously wasn't.

Do i get rewarded for checking the website? Guess not.

So now I have to deal with even more crap (lugging costumes and items to and from the convention center) because this was handled badly, subsequently making MY convention even worse should I actually attend.

Every one has known since pax 08 some things only get announced on twitter and on the forums. It was handled professionally through official channels they just happen to be things that you don't check. I am sure that if it was on the web site some people would have missed it because they watch the twitter. The thing is though enough people did see it and it sold out so pa must be doing something right.

<ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    This information usually goes out in stages, first to the forums, then twitter and face book then eventually the main website. I"m sorry you didn't get your preferred hotel, but it happens.

But coming on the forums and acting all indignant and entitled isn't going to gain you any sympathy.

PAX is popular, and hotels and badges WILL sell out. For PAX East, the Westin is THE most popular hotel. If you want first shot at anything that's in limited supply, you need to hang around to hear about it.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    zerzhul wrote:

Could this thread at least be stickied? So others can find it easier? AFAIK this is the only link on the forums to the website.
    This thread is historically not stickied because the hotel information itself is available publicly on twitter.

I agree that there is room for improvement for announcements, but it's nothing new that this sort of info hits twitter and the forums faster than the site. There is little question that this has the effect of rewarding repeat-paxers that follow all the available forms of communication.

An On topic comment: the Seaport and Renaissance are also very close hotels and are quite nice. Last I looked they still have rooms available.

• Options
    SmallLady wrote:
    This information usually goes out in stages, first to the forums, then twitter and face book then eventually the main website. I"m sorry you didn't get your preferred hotel, but it happens.

But coming on the forums and acting all indignant and entitled isn't going to gain you any sympathy.

PAX is popular, and hotels and badges WILL sell out. For PAX East, the Westin is THE most popular hotel. If you want first shot at anything that's in limited supply, you need to hang around to hear about it.

Its not so much that I didn't get my preferred hotel. Its that I was checking what I thought was a valid form of information, when I wasn't informed otherwise until it was too late. That's my main gripe.

Anyway, I'm going to stop posting. Thank you.

• Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular
    No longer staying at Seaport. Monday morning we switched to the Westin.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I can second that the Seaport is really nice and the walk isn't bad at all. Even their floors are comfy. Last year there were a few games in the lobby in the evenings as well. It's close to a Dunkin which is nice and there's a little coffee shop in the hotel itself, but the restaurant in the hotel was overpriced.

• Options
    mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    BigRed wrote:

I don't use twitter, but you will use it for PAX. In fact, we only made an account when we realized that everything PAX related was posted there. Especially during PAX, you will want to make a twitter and follow it. It is the easiest way to find out about anything that is going on. (I think this is mentioned in the first timers thread and the FAQ)

Also, great tip about the texting service. I just set mine up, should make it easy to know when registration is posted. Thanks!

mayapple on
    e6txb8m8cavf.png

• Options
    DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    I can second that the Seaport is really nice and the walk isn't bad at all. Even their floors are comfy. Last year there were a few games in the lobby in the evenings as well. It's close to a Dunkin which is nice and there's a little coffee shop in the hotel itself, but the restaurant in the hotel was overpriced.

Seaport is fantastic. The walk is super short, there's a 7-11 with cheap sandwiches and drinks next to a Dunkin Donuts, and a Fresh City right across the street. If Westin is all booked up, you really can't go wrong with the Seaport.

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Just want to agree with what Obselete Model, Zerzhul and SmallLady said.

I'll just add this. From the sound of it you are worried about distances. If it's the case then look at the Seaport or Renaissance. The distance is negligible.

Just saying that peace of mind can easily be obtained even if you're not at the Westin. Some of the other hotels offer shuttle services. If it helps, it's something has always bothered me as well yet last year I stayed out there in the Financial District. My PAX exeperience was not hampered at all (in fact I had access to much better food and shopping). Feel free to PM me if you want to know more.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    RachelkittenRachelkitten PMS_KTN Broomfield, CORegistered User regular
    Have any of you stayed at Doubletree? This is mine and all my friend's first time, and we understand that Westin and Seaport are closest and we're staying kinda far away. We did this because we didn't want to be COMPLETELY wrapped up in PAX and we wanted to experience some of Boston as well since none of us have been to the east coast. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Pax East 2012 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accomodations [X] Travel [X] Time Off [X]
    Twitter: KTNPWNS_PMS
  • Options
    Thoughts? Suggestions?

If you don't want to be at the super close hotels, I'd at least make sure the one you book has shuttle service to/from PAX.

• Options
    KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    Have any of you stayed at Doubletree? This is mine and all my friend's first time, and we understand that Westin and Seaport are closest and we're staying kinda far away. We did this because we didn't want to be COMPLETELY wrapped up in PAX and we wanted to experience some of Boston as well since none of us have been to the east coast. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    my suggestion is to come in early and leave late... take the extra time off of work or whatever, if you can, to come Thursday or wed and leave Monday or Tuesday... Really once Pax gets started you won't want to do anything but get wrapped up in it, and boston is a happening place and there's so much to do that only one day or a few hours just won't be enough...

Last year was my friends and I's first year... we didn't want to get too wrapped up in it also, we didn't think we would like it, so we only bought passes for 2 days... we were kicking ourselves for it ever since then, and this year we aren't making the same mistake... even still, if you got a hotel close to the BCEC you wouldn't miss out on exploring boston... everything is pretty much connected to the subway so you can go anywhere in boston in just an hour, so getting a hotel close wouldn't hinder you're exploring of the city.

• Options
    edited October 2011

Keep in mind that being a third the size of PAX is one of the reasons WHY AB can keep more stuff "in-house". The logistics and number of people involved with getting PAX off the ground every year is mind-boggling. Jerry and Mike have more or less admitted that they are just figureheads at this point - Khoo handles the business arrangements and Reed (I think) is responsible for a lot of the minutiae. I have no idea who is responsible for the main site updating but there are a lot of moving parts and the people who give back the most to the community are here, so information gets posted here, twitter, facebook, etc before disseminating further to the unwashed masses.

Back somewhat on topic - can we get a listing of restaurants within walking distance of the BCEC/Westin? We went to something Test Kitchen last year, which was pretty good. I'm trying to figure out where to eat right after arriving on the Sonic Line. During the actual Con I rarely want to leave long enough to go get dinner (last year I had pizza delivered to the BYOC). I guess that's something else that could be helpful - a compiled list of local places that will deliver to the hotel/BCEC.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    flatline wrote:

Back somewhat on topic - can we get a listing of restaurants within walking distance of the BCEC/Westin? We went to something Test Kitchen last year, which was pretty good. I'm trying to figure out where to eat right after arriving on the Sonic Line. During the actual Con I rarely want to leave long enough to go get dinner (last year I had pizza delivered to the BYOC). I guess that's something else that could be helpful - a compiled list of local places that will deliver to the hotel/BCEC.

I"m really hoping that somebody local to Boston will post a foodie thread.. I'll ping RGB & Juju tonight to see if they wanna do it.

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    flatline wrote:

Keep in mind that being a third the size of PAX is one of the reasons WHY AB can keep more stuff "in-house". The logistics and number of people involved with getting PAX off the ground every year is mind-boggling. Jerry and Mike have more or less admitted that they are just figureheads at this point - Khoo handles the business arrangements and Reed (I think) is responsible for a lot of the minutiae. I have no idea who is responsible for the main site updating but there are a lot of moving parts and the people who give back the most to the community are here, so information gets posted here, twitter, facebook, etc before disseminating further to the unwashed masses.

I don't know if you're looking for an actual sit-down meal after the train ride, or just something to grab and go, but there is a number of places to eat inside of South Station, where the train arrives.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    I Einnob II Einnob I Registered User regular
    I have a quick question, that maybe someone can answer

Has anyone ever looked/stayed in a vacation rental, specifically in Boston? From what I can see they are more economically priced when you have about 4+ people. When my brother was involved in a community they had LAN parties in Ocean City and rented out vacation houses. It was about $200 per person for the week. Just curious to see if anyone has done this in Boston, it is a route I am considering.

• Options
    I Einnob I wrote:

Has anyone ever looked/stayed in a vacation rental, specifically in Boston? From what I can see they are more economically priced when you have about 4+ people. When my brother was involved in a community they had LAN parties in Ocean City and rented out vacation houses. It was about $200 per person for the week. Just curious to see if anyone has done this in Boston, it is a route I am considering.

I had some friends that rented a house for PAX 2010... not gonna lie, the hot tub parties were awesome!

• Options
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    I don't know if you're looking for an actual sit-down meal after the train ride, or just something to grab and go, but there is a number of places to eat inside of South Station, where the train arrives.

Looking more for a decent sit-down meal. Like I said, during the hustle and bustle of the Con itself, I rarely set foot outside of the BCEC/Westin, so I become a slave to whatever is available on-premises (or I can have delivered). That makes Thursday my night to go out with people (generally from the Train since we're all hungry and arriving together) and get an actual meal while we brainstorm what to do the rest of the weekend. I'll keep an eye out for a foodie thread and leave this to more hotel-specific questions. I only asked in here because I was specifically interested in proximity to the Westin, whereas previous foodie threads had stuff listed all over Boston.

• Options
    I can assure you that a thread is going up very soon about food options near the BCEC :D

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    We did that last year and “being in Boston” was high up on the list of reasons. I had some great times and great memories, however I regretted trying to be cheap with my travels to and from the BCEC.

We stayed at the Nine Zero. It looked like a manageable walk so I thought I could skip using the MTBA and maybe only take the occasional cab. Long story short, none of that turned out well. PAX wore us out more than we had expected and those walks took longer and longer each time, thus we were compelled to take more cabs than we had planned, which were all more expensive than the fair calculators had predicted (not by much but still). Before you ask why I did not run to get myself a CharlieCard, it’s because I thought that each cab ride would be my last.

If I were to do it again I would not skip on buying that 15$ 7 day pass for the MTBA and try to limit myself to using a cab once it’s closing time. And yes, they are worth the wait.

SmallLady wrote:
    flatline wrote:

I"m really hoping that somebody local to Boston will post a foodie thread.. I'll ping RGB & Juju tonight to see if they wanna do it.

While we wait, maybe this will help... There's also last year's Epic Noms thread.

Also, I want a hot tub party.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    I Einnob I wrote:

I know that some people did that for East last year. I don't know how much it cost but what I heard from them was that they liked it for the most part but it didn't have the amenities that the PAX hotels have (like the shuttle service). I think if your main goal is PAX then you are likely better off in a PAX hotel. If you're doing a lot of Boston stuff as well, it might make sense and dilute the sting from the lack of shuttles and a PAX crowd on hand.

• Options
    I Einnob II Einnob I Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    I Einnob I wrote:

I know that some people did that for East last year. I don't know how much it cost but what I heard from them was that they liked it for the most part but it didn't have the amenities that the PAX hotels have (like the shuttle service). I think if your main goal is PAX then you are likely better off in a PAX hotel. If you're doing a lot of Boston stuff as well, it might make sense and dilute the sting from the lack of shuttles and a PAX crowd on hand.

That is good to know. I read some things about the subway system as well, which doesn't bother me too much since I lived near DC for a year.

Thank you

• Options
    RachelkittenRachelkitten PMS_KTN Broomfield, CORegistered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    We did that last year and “being in Boston” was high up on the list of reasons. I had some great times and great memories, however I regretted trying to be cheap with my travels to and from the BCEC.

We stayed at the Nine Zero. It looked like a manageable walk so I thought I could skip using the MTBA and maybe only take the occasional cab. Long story short, none of that turned out well. PAX wore us out more than we had expected and those walks took longer and longer each time, thus we were compelled to take more cabs than we had planned, which were all more expensive than the fair calculators had predicted (not by much but still). Before you ask why I did not run to get myself a CharlieCard, it’s because I thought that each cab ride would be my last.

If I were to do it again I would not skip on buying that 15$ 7 day pass for the MTBA and try to limit myself to using a cab once it’s closing time. And yes, they are worth the wait.

We are all planning on buying the $15 dollar CharlieCard. We researched what would cost effective. We even researched staying outside of Boston, and we all agreed getting a hotel room at the PAX East block would be good, and get one of the cheaper ones, and buying a CharlieCard. Next year we will more than likely get a couple rooms at the Westin, but we kinda wanted to walk (I know we're crazy but my friends are SURE they can walk because they work for 8 hours standing on their feet) and discover restaurants and shops on the way to the BCEC. Are we completely crazy?

Pax East 2012 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accomodations [X] Travel [X] Time Off [X]
    Twitter: KTNPWNS_PMS
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    ...my friends are SURE they can walk because they work for 8 hours standing on their feet) and discover restaurants and shops on the way to the BCEC. Are we completely crazy?

Yes, lol, only joking, but you really do need to take into account the convention itself. You are going to have to walk there in the morning, then spend all day on your feet (most likely more than 8hrs?) exploring the HUGE convention center, waiting in lines for panels/concerts, playing rockband a little to realistically, and then walk all the way home, for 3 days straight. If you and your friends are up for it, then more power to you, but honestly the convention itself will be more "feet" time than a normal work day, and for me, nothing ruins a con more than tired feet.

If you don't plan on spending the whole day at the con, then perhaps the walk [a considerable distance] to the hotel wont be as much of a nuisance, but I've taken time out from PAX to explore Boston in previous years, and it was always easier to take a train to an interesting location, and have the hotel near the con.

Exodus1 on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Your friends should probably understand that there is a HUGE difference in standing for 8 hours and walking for 15 hours. HUGE.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    RemmybaxRemmybax Registered User new member
    BigRed wrote:

I absolutely loathe twitter. But this strikes me as a fantastic idea. (.... AND done.)