As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Transformers- IDW Reboot Zone

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    The best TF movie option is clearly adapting Last Stand of the Wreckers.
    Has a easy to understand plot, (autobot special forces on a misson) The autobot's all have distinct personalities. Has a badguy who isn't Megatron (Megatron is a good character sure, but theres only so many times he can be curbstomped by Prime and still be considered a threat).

Lots of action, comedy ('Wrecker's combine!!') and drama (when the autobots start dying).
    Even has a token human who isn't annoying!!!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Speaking of All Hail Megatron I just got up to that story line with regards to the earlier IDW Transformers books.

The story line prior with Scorponok was duuumb.

Human headmasters somehow making a cybertronian more powerful? That's not believable at all. And why would Rod Hot try to stop it on Scorponok on is own? Surely the Magnificence would have told him he'd stand no chance. Also why would Scorponok mind control the dinobots and then all of a sudden stop for no god damn reason? And why did he even need Sunstreaker to build an army of headmasters?

So friggin dumb!

Firstly, the whole point of Headmasters, in both the original US cartoon and comic, was that the fusion of the organic and the technological produces something that is greater than the sum of it's parts. Think of it like the Transformer installing an organic supercomputer into themselves.

Hot Rod is an impulsive idiot and always has been. Remember, he's most well known for getting Prime killed in the movie. (That said, I he's smart enough to know he isn't responsible enough to keep an item like the Magnificence safe and got rid of it in-between the end of Revelation and Maximum Dinobots)

It's been awhile, but IIRC, either Grimlock managed to break through the Dinobot's mind control, or his plan was to have the Dinobots destroy Grimlock of their own volition (because they were super pissed about the 10,000 year dirt nap) just to turn the knife in Grimlock's belly that much more. I forget which.

They didn't need "Sunstreaker" so much as they needed a cybertronian they could A. Replicate a decoy they could blow up so they could B. Kidnap and mutilate them. Sunstreaker was the unlucky one they chose.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Speaking of All Hail Megatron I just got up to that story line with regards to the earlier IDW Transformers books.

The story line prior with Scorponok was duuumb.

Human headmasters somehow making a cybertronian more powerful? That's not believable at all. And why would Rod Hot try to stop it on Scorponok on is own? Surely the Magnificence would have told him he'd stand no chance. Also why would Scorponok mind control the dinobots and then all of a sudden stop for no god damn reason? And why did he even need Sunstreaker to build an army of headmasters?

So friggin dumb!

Firstly, the whole point of Headmasters, in both the original US cartoon and comic, was that the fusion of the organic and the technological produces something that is greater than the sum of it's parts. Think of it like the Transformer installing an organic supercomputer into themselves.

Hot Rod is an impulsive idiot and always has been. Remember, he's most well known for getting Prime killed in the movie. (That said, I he's smart enough to know he isn't responsible enough to keep an item like the Magnificence safe and got rid of it in-between the end of Revelation and Maximum Dinobots)

It's been awhile, but IIRC, either Grimlock managed to break through the Dinobot's mind control, or his plan was to have the Dinobots destroy Grimlock of their own volition (because they were super pissed about the 10,000 year dirt nap) just to turn the knife in Grimlock's belly that much more. I forget which.

They didn't need "Sunstreaker" so much as they needed a cybertronian they could A. Replicate a decoy they could blow up so they could B. Kidnap and mutilate them. Sunstreaker was the unlucky one they chose.

Sorry about the typos in my previous post. Was really tired at the time.

The headmaster thing just seemed a bit pointless considering humans expire way sooner than Cybertronians. Couldn't Scorponok just use an AI instead? If it seemed to me like the headmaster technology benefited the humans more than the Cybertronians, as a TF would probably need to replace their organic headmaster every 5 minutes.

I don't remember Hot Rod getting rid of the Magnificence, to be honest. But even without it, I feel he should known to bring backup to take down an army of Sunstreakers. He gave his fellow Autobot plenty of information using the magnificence, so surely he would have told them about Sunstreaker's location and the headmasters. Ultra Magnus showing up out of nowhere because of the message about Scorponok was a bit too forced. He was really lucky the dinobots were nearby to help.

Speaking of, Scorponok did turn off the mind control because he knew grimlock's team would probably try to fight him, but it just seemed silly that he would do it considering there was no guarantee he would be able to turn it back on.

Also with regard to needing a cybertonian, why not just base the headmasters on Scorponok himself?

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    i mean all good things come to an end, but i was kinda hoping that when they eventually decided to reboot they would do an alternate universe thing or something and have the stories run concurrently but not impact each other

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Wonder what Hasbro has in mind since they obviously know better. /S

Not optimistic with their latest decisions.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    The Hasbro Shared Universe concept flopped pretty hard. I was hoping Transformers would survive it but I guess not.

The headmaster thing just seemed a bit pointless considering humans expire way sooner than Cybertronians. Couldn't Scorponok just use an AI instead? If it seemed to me like the headmaster technology benefited the humans more than the Cybertronians, as a TF would probably need to replace their organic headmaster every 5 minutes.

I don't remember Hot Rod getting rid of the Magnificence, to be honest. But even without it, I feel he should known to bring backup to take down an army of Sunstreakers. He gave his fellow Autobot plenty of information using the magnificence, so surely he would have told them about Sunstreaker's location and the headmasters. Ultra Magnus showing up out of nowhere because of the message about Scorponok was a bit too forced. He was really lucky the dinobots were nearby to help.

Speaking of, Scorponok did turn off the mind control because he knew grimlock's team would probably try to fight him, but it just seemed silly that he would do it considering there was no guarantee he would be able to turn it back on.

Also with regard to needing a cybertonian, why not just base the headmasters on Scorponok himself?

It's an old Transformers trope organic + cybertronian = increased power. (Headmasters/Targetmasters/Powermasters, Beast Machines, *shudder* kissplayers). If it doesn't gel with you, I can understand that, but it's not something exclusive to IDW is what I'm trying to say.

It doesn't happen on screen but apparently gets addressed WAAAAAAAAY later. Also, he would have needed to know and remember to ask about Sunstreaker specifically, and at the time there was bigger fish to fry. (The bigger question is why didn't the people he handed it off to use it like crazy, which I imagine is addressed in that later story.)

Yeah, in the end it was a bad villain plot. I'll cop to that.

Because they had to keep Sunstreaker's head tied into their systems so the human Headmasters could basically steal his skills. They fell to pieces (metaphorically) after Sunstreaker was freed IIRC. Also, it seems like he was in a ton of pain while doing it. Definitely not something Scorponok would willingly subject himself to.

• Options
    The Hasbro Shared Universe concept flopped pretty hard. I was hoping Transformers would survive it but I guess not.

It's an old Transformers trope organic + cybertronian = increased power. (Headmasters/Targetmasters/Powermasters, Beast Machines, *shudder* kissplayers). If it doesn't gel with you, I can understand that, but it's not something exclusive to IDW is what I'm trying to say.

It doesn't happen on screen but apparently gets addressed WAAAAAAAAY later. Also, he would have needed to know and remember to ask about Sunstreaker specifically, and at the time there was bigger fish to fry. (The bigger question is why didn't the people he handed it off to use it like crazy, which I imagine is addressed in that later story.)

Yeah, in the end it was a bad villain plot. I'll cop to that.

Because they had to keep Sunstreaker's head tied into their systems so the human Headmasters could basically steal his skills. They fell to pieces (metaphorically) after Sunstreaker was freed IIRC. Also, it seems like he was in a ton of pain while doing it. Definitely not something Scorponok would willingly subject himself to.
    Yeah the technological+organic power up doesn't appeal with me since the Transformers already seem powerful on their own. Also I'm a bit biased because whenever humans get involved in a TF story it's usually really contrived.

The magnificence disappearing is a bit weird considering the Lost Light crew could really benefit from it in their current quest.

I'll concede that using Scorponok for the army wouldn't work due to the pain involved. I was about to mention using Ramjet, but I think Megatron still has his head.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    "Hey wouldn't it be cool if we shoehorned a dozen failed or forgotten properties into Transformers?"

"Oh no it flopped, how could we have forseen this?"

• Options
    edited February 2018
    as someone with fond memories of tons of these crazy things like transformers, GI joe, TMNT, etc i never even heard of some of the things they were trying to make work. i get the idea that maybe if they pair a weaker franchise with transformers it could buoy them, but not all at the same time. i dunno it is really unfortunate

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    I knew of ROM and Micronaunts, but only because of the marks they made in Marvel's comics, and the voids left behind from losing the rights.

I think I saw an episode or two of M.A.S.K. at some point.

And Jem was always truly truly Outrageous.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I just about fell out of my chair when I heard they were trying to work Visionaries in. I don't think that IP has been touched in 30 years.

MASK was just as long, but at least there was an argument to be made with the transforming tech in the Transformers universe.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    I just about fell out of my chair when I heard they were trying to work Visionaries in. I don't think that IP has been touched in 30 years.

MASK was just as long, but at least there was an argument to be made with the transforming tech in the Transformers universe.

The visionaries cartoon was like 13 episodes, total, and a comic that was canceled after issue 6.

It's actually kind of baffling why they would bother.

• Options
    This is the same company that wanted to make sure blockbuster film out of battleship. I'm not surprised they tried. I'm just sad that they did

• Options
    If they're going out, then they're going out with style.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I need to re-read the Wreckers stuff. The second one got a little wierd and I skimmed through the exposition because the background art was making me dizzy.

And I totally forgot how Verity got to hang with the Wreckers in the first place.

• Options
    I didn't enjoy some as much as lsotw, but I thought it was still fantastic. Really I can't identify why I didn't enjoy it as much. Seriously I can't figure out why and it annoys me. I may have to reread it as well as a refresher. It may just be a confluence of events for lsotw in real life that endeared me to it and therefore puts it on a pedestal by comparison

• Options
    edited February 2018
    New issue of Lost Light. Looks like Roberts got the news about the reboot right before he finished writing this script.
    He killed off the Scavengers.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Check the preview for issue 15

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    I'll say this for the TF franchise - the nature of cybertronian "life" is complex enough that it doesn't seem like total bullshit when characters come back to life. But Roberts has maaaaaybe pulled this trick one too many times. Ambulon's vivisection seems like the only one that 'stuck'.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'll say this for the TF franchise - the nature of cybertronian "life" is complex enough that it doesn't seem like total bullshit when characters come back to life. But Roberts has maaaaaybe pulled this trick one too many times. Ambulon's vivisection seems like the only one that 'stuck'.
    How could you forget about Trailcutter? Poor guy just wanted to be known for something other than his forcefield. And he was turning his life around, too, when the DJD got him.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    How could you forget about Trailcutter? Poor guy just wanted to be known for something other than his forcefield. And he was turning his life around, too, when the DJD got him.
    Pipes and Skids are off the table, too. I don't know the odds on Skids staying down, though.

I have to say that I found the bloodbath in the last issue under Getaway kind of wearying and off-putting. I can see Atomizer's death as the point of no return, but I hope they fix Mirage and the Protectobots, and that Sunder hasn't actually been murdering his way through the crew.

• Options
    I don't know what's going on in lost light as I'm haven't read any of it yet...

But there are some really fucking weird spoilers out in the wild. Assuming they are true of course.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Lots of things happening at IDW: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03/07/chris-ryall-steven-scott-idw-industry-turmoil/

Short version both Editor-in-Chief and PR Manager have left the company.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    So i haven't been following transformers for a while now, so i took a peek in at Lost Light #15 and #16, and i find out that transformers have now introduced
    male pregnancy
    and Rodimus
    demanded, and got, an audience with god

Ok IDW, you have my attention.

• Options
    https://www.newsarama.com/39201-transformers-unicron-event-is-a-grand-finale-to-12-years-of-idw.html

It really sounds like they're ending everything.

That makes me sad, the IDW comics are the only part of the current TF franchise fiction that I enjoy. The TV shows are all extremely kid focused, which from a capitalist perspective makes sense. The movies are all general audience focused, which makes hollywood sense. Outside of IDW nobody is telling interesting stories.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I mean, endings are a good thing. It means we get a hopefully satisfying conclusion to the story and we can all go to the next one. It doesn't mean there won't be a reboot or a sequel or otherwise more comics, right?

• Options
    Just seems like a waste to redo everything after creating such interesting lore.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    It will really depend how the ending is. How good or bad it is will determine my opinion in it. Also how they continue forward. I assume they are going to reset to standard g1 buy it would be nice to have the world building continue in some fashion.

Saw someone on Twitter talking about TF series that actually ended as opposed to just sopping and I think their only conclusion was beast machines to this point.

• Options
    It will really depend how the ending is. How good or bad it is will determine my opinion in it. Also how they continue forward. I assume they are going to reset to standard g1 buy it would be nice to have the world building continue in some fashion.

Saw someone on Twitter talking about TF series that actually ended as opposed to just sopping and I think their only conclusion was beast machines to this point.

G1 Marvel comics series

G2 Marvel comics series

Beast Wars

Robots in Disguise (2001) cartoon

Armada, Energon, Cybertron cartoons

Prime and Robots in Disguise cartoons

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Prime was my counterpoint to the idea but the others I never got into

Edit: as for this series, I'm not sure what would qualify as a "satisfying ending". I mean pax cybertronia 2.0? Somehow getting back to ironhide's old vision? Wonder what the odds they do the whole universal singularity thing with unicron and allow this series to exist as a supplementary series and have the "main" one be a traditional transformers story. Just shift focus rather than just cull all the existing titles

Edit 2: I am also confused as to why idea wouldn't make transformers comics anymore. Even assuming there is a push to revert to a more classic story I don't understand why the change.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    I hope this doesn't bring Lost Light to an end. It is literally the best comic on the stands right now.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Honestly? I'm not that sad. I would prefer it if the ending was being done on the writers' own terms, and everything I've seen indicates it's not. But I'm not against stories ending.

That being said, IDW's, and especially Lost Light's, contributions better not be forgotten in the future. I want the concept of the conjunx endurae to become as important to the lore as the spark from Beast Wars did.

• Options
    i can see conjux and amica endura existing in the future. it doesn't seem like an unreasonable concept to carry forward

• Options
    More than anything, MTMTE/LL was great because it extrapolated from the core concept. It wasn't about "heroic autobots vs evil decepticons", it showed us what life, love, religion, politics, etc look like and mean to a race of of mechanical beings who can live for centuries. It's the perfect example of how to approach a franchise. I had a discussion in the Megaman thread about how the new show looks like garbage and someone asked how important it was that it adhered to the canon.

The answer, I've been thinking, is that it's not important to adhere to the canon, if you're telling an interesting story. The Ariga comics deal with issues like "how do sentient robots deal with the fact that someone decided for them how long they get to live?". And it's not like there aren't interesting stories to tell using the core concept of Megaman. We know that X is the first fully autonomous thinking robot, which has interesting implications for exactly how independent Rock (Roll, Blues, et al) are.

• Options
    i think there's a fine line re: adhering to canon vs. creating new canon

i think the changes to megatron for example make sense. i don't think they could've done it sooner though. in general i agree though delzhand. i love world building across all my favorite franchises and idw has done a wonderful job of adding depth to so many characters and ideas

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I feel like everything besides More Than Meets the Eye and Lost Light I could take or leave. The Cybertron stuff I could take or leave -- everyone miserable, all the time -- and I actively dislike the Earth and human stuff. The only lesson giant robots ever learn from their time on Earth is that these puny humans have so much to teach us and, just, gah.

Well, I hope they kill Spike off before they wrap up. Man, they made the Witwickies unlikable.

• Options
    While I agree mtmte and LL were better than the old RiD and whatever it was renames to now, I don't personally have a huge gulf between them. I liked the stories on cybertron and stuff about soundwave and thundercracker and everything else. Granted there was nonsense in there but nothing is perfect

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

That's cool!

Also saw that Infiltration #0 was released in September 2005. Thirteen years to the month, one for each Prime.