As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

games "journalism" - submit your shit to orikae already, jesus christ

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    This thread is reminding me to go read the Duke Nukem thread again because God I love the smell of I'm Right in the mornin'

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    I don't even keep up with games anymore
    i know about them via you guys
    I used to read Giantbomb, and occasionally still do if i am actually interested in something and want to buy it maybe

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    does anyone watch extra credits

why/why not

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I can't remember where I first read/heard this notion, but, putting aside the schtick, Yahtzee is the closest thing the industry has to a games critic. There aren't a lot of individual voices that really stand out. As I'm sure we all know, most sites employ a number of reviewers that stick to their genres, and a lot of what they do are reaffirm the things we already know about the genre and/or franchise.

Certainly, not many people will note a specific reviewer or develop a taste for their sensibilities, like we might do for, say, Roger Ebert or Alan Sepinwall.

Darric on
  • Options
    edited October 2011

why/why not

I don't. I find it a little preachy and matter-of-fact about topics that are anything but.

Edit: That said, I'm okay with anyone trying to deconstruct the medium for a wider audience, so I appreciate its intentions.

Darric on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    here is my gaming news resource: forums.penny-arcade.com
    Darric wrote:

why/why not

I don't. I find it kinda preachy and matter-of-fact about topics that are anything but.

yeah basically

sig.png
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Darric wrote:

why/why not

I don't. I find it a little preachy and matter-of-fact about topics that are anything but.

Edit: That said, I'm okay with anyone trying to deconstruct the medium for a wider audience, so I appreciate its intentions.

Yeah, yup.

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Speaking of Giantbomb, I feel like I should explore more of its content (I pretty much only visit the podcast page), but every time I try to ... read it, I'm not really sure where or what to click. The range of content on the site is confusing.

Darric on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    YaYa wrote:
    hey can someone else complain about Yahtzee

I have opinions about him but I've voiced them so many times that I'd rather just have someone else bitch about him so I can agree with them rather than repeating myself

yo, elaborate on dis

alright, so, first of all, he gained prominence because of his theatricality

which is great, I think some zazz and vigour and what have you were definitely missing in game coverage, G4 not withstanding, and it's also neat that he was literally just some dude with Flash and opinions who managed to basically have an entire website built around him

but on the other hand, that theatricality pretty much totally impedes anything he does as a critic or intellectual. he has flat-out said on multiple occasions that he will not be objective or even particularly fair to games because it wouldn't be as funny, which, again, is fine, but the idea of 'reviews' that basically aren't reviews at all because they focus so much on entertainment rather than criticism just really bothers me, particularly when you have such a fanbase and a unique voice there

also, and this point to me is much more important, he is not a journalist. he is some guy who likes what he likes and makes videos, and while he may have some familiarity with design with the whole adventure game series he did, he should not, to me, be in such a position of influence and power. yet here he is on the Escapist writing a weekly column about whatever bullshit is bothering him and railing against casual games and online multiplayer and trying to be an idealist about gamer culture.

I guess my essential issue with Yahtzee is that he's this vaudeville entertainer who is suddenly one of the leading voices in game journalism without having any of the real knowledge or awareness needed to back it up, and having such a person in such a role is not going to advance the medium in the same way that something like Extra Credits or even Checkpoint can do

e: I know Extra Credit has its issues too but I'd rather not get into that, I think they're being informative about elements of the industry that the average consumer could do well to learn more about, regardless of their rhetoric and tactics

YaYa on
  • Options

why/why not

It doesn't really entertain me at all, personally

I think if there were a point I wanted to make or if I took videogames even slightly more seriously I'd find the shorts really useful, and I appreciate what they do and understand that they do it rather skillfully

But its not ~for me

• Options
    i don't agree with your edit, yaya - saying 'i like the message, even if i don't like the way they make their points' is tantamount to 'ends justify the means' for me

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I read giantbomb and Gamesradar and Tom Chick's stuff. Dude's crazy sometimes but if you want a reviewer with opinions he's your man.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Mostly I just check massively for gw2 info

• Options
    YaYa wrote:
    YaYa wrote:
    hey can someone else complain about Yahtzee

I have opinions about him but I've voiced them so many times that I'd rather just have someone else bitch about him so I can agree with them rather than repeating myself

yo, elaborate on dis

alright, so, first of all, he gained prominence because of his theatricality

which is great, I think some zazz and vigour and what have you were definitely missing in game coverage, G4 not withstanding, and it's also neat that he was literally just some dude with Flash and opinions who managed to basically have an entire website built around him

but on the other hand, that theatricality pretty much totally impedes anything he does as a critic or intellectual. he has flat-out said on multiple occasions that he will not be objective or even particularly fair to games because it wouldn't be as funny, which, again, is fine, but the idea of 'reviews' that basically aren't reviews at all because they focus so much on entertainment rather than criticism just really bothers me, particularly when you have such a fanbase and a unique voice there

also, and this point to me is much more important, he is not a journalist. he is some guy who likes what he likes and makes videos, and while he may have some familiarity with design with the whole adventure game series he did, he should not, to me, be in such a position of influence and power. yet here he is on the Escapist writing a weekly column about whatever bullshit is bothering him and railing against casual games and online multiplayer and trying to be an idealist about gamer culture.

I guess my essential issue with Yahtzee is that he's this vaudeville entertainer who is suddenly one of the leading voices in game journalism without having any of the real knowledge or awareness needed to back it up, and having such a person in such a role is not going to advance the medium in the same way that something like Extra Credits or even Checkpoint can do

e: I know Extra Credit has its issues too but I'd rather not get into that, I think they're being informative about elements of the industry that the average consumer could do well to learn more about, regardless of their rhetoric and tactics

Yeah he's waaaay more of an entertainer than an informer, I would never base my interest in a game around any of his reviews

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Rock Paper Shotgun and Giant Bomb.

I used to get free Game Developer Magazines around a decade ago and I liked them at the time I think. Don't really remember much about them nowadays to be honest.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    It's changed for me this last year. Here and kotaku for news and gametrailers for video

xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    It's changed for me this last year. Here and kotaku for news and gametrailers for video

• Options
    i don't agree with your edit, yaya - saying 'i like the message, even if i don't like the way they make their points' is tantamount to 'ends justify the means' for me

I didn't say I didn't like the way they make their points! I guess what I meant was their rhetoric might bother some people but it doesn't bother me

I guess the key thing is that some people might see them acting as the word of god, but I can't think of any time where they have flatout said 'this is how it is, deal w/ it'

but I do understand why some people might be turned off by them

what are your thoughts?

• Options
    Resurrect Old Man Murray

Someone dooeet

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    kotaku is garbage and you should probably wash your eyes with sulfuric acid just to make sure none of their words stay around your optic nerve

• Options
    I really wish Eurogamer was more known (and, I guess, practical) outside of PAL territories, they really are a quality site.

In particular, their Digital Foundry platform comparisons (if you have a technical interest at all in game engines and such) are fascinating.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

why/why not

I do. A lot of what they have to say makes sense, and even if their opinion can be contested, they're very well spoken.

• Options
    YaYa wrote:

I didn't say I didn't like the way they make their points! I guess what I meant was their rhetoric might bother some people but it doesn't bother me

I guess the key thing is that some people might see them acting as the word of god, but I can't think of any time where they have flatout said 'this is how it is, deal w/ it'

what are your thoughts?

my thoughts are that the team of extra credits could use some extra development credits to give them some legitimacy in their quest to co-opt the voice of 'what should be done in the industry'

one thing to critique something, quite another to set yourself up as a mouthpiece and appeal to development experience that is quite limited in reality

• Options
    I still read PC Gamer and Eurogamer's sites about once a week. Unless I forget to which isn't unheard of.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Lately for reviews on stuff I dont read anything. Too many words. I just watch a half hour of someone playing whatever I'm interested in and make up my mind that way on Justin tv

thedude_frombaywatch on

• Options
    YaYa wrote:

what are your thoughts?

my thoughts are that the team of extra credits could use some extra development credits to give them some legitimacy in their quest to co-opt the voice of 'what should be done in the industry'

one thing to critique something, quite another to set yourself up as a mouthpiece and appeal to development experience that is quite limited in reality

Yep, this is the other thing I have a problem with ... the voice of the show seems to be a single designer who, well, um.

• Options
    Darric wrote:
    YaYa wrote:

what are your thoughts?

Yep, this is the other thing I have a problem with ... the voice of the show seems to be a single designer who, well, um.
    call of duty modern warfare and 2 iOS games, one of which is 'here is an inkblot, guess what your friends will see'

his current games company is actually a consultancy agency

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I get game informer because of my gamestop rewards thingy, good bathroom material. I flipped through the reviews and noticed that the highest rated game, GOW3, wasn't one of their monthly awarded things, which I found odd. Most of the award winners were sports titles (not that I'm against sports games, just found it odd).

But I really don't even bother with games journalism too much. Just wanna know when the game is coming out.

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    I'm James Gournalism, I heard you guys were talking about me

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yahtzee is not really a reviewer, ya shouldn't categorize (or criticize) him as such. On the other hand, the rare occasions he does praise a game, I know it's totally worth looking into.

And Extra Credits is great. You guys don't like em as if they were the ambassadors of all that is game or something. They're just a dude voicing his opinions in an engaging way, you don't have to take it any more seriously than that.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Darric wrote:
    YaYa wrote:

what are your thoughts?

call of duty modern warfare and 2 iOS games, one of which is 'here is an inkblot, guess what your friends will see'

his current games company is actually a consultancy agency

oh

wow

really?

uh

hmm

e: Dark Raven

every single title page on his videos

every single one

says 'Yahtzee reviews such and such'

he is also paid for his services

so

yeah

also you're toooottallly missing the point about Extra Credits but that's okay I guess

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Yahtzee is not really a reviewer, ya shouldn't categorize (or criticize) him as such. On the other hand, the rare occasions he does praise a game, I know it's totally worth looking into.

Basically. I fully expect him to tear apart the games I love for the sake of entertainment, but the games that he does like are pretty much rock solid, and his specific reasons for liking them fall in line with what I want from games. So when he does seem to like a game, it's normally something I'll look into.

And Extra Credits is great. You guys don't like em as if they were the ambassadors of all that is game or something. They're just a dude voicing his opinions in an engaging way, you don't have to take it any more seriously than that.

In the few episodes I've seen, that's not how it comes across.

Darric on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I don't tend to read video game journalism unless there is a specific article that has been recommended to me by others as being interesting.

My reason for this is that no matter what website I go to, the writing is often sloppy, unapologetic in its bias, and most importantly, it doesn't add any value to my enjoyment or interest in the game. I tend to put more stock in the insights and recommendations of friends (and people on here) if I were to check out a game I hadn't previously heard of or had interest in.

I watch Yahtzee purely for the entertainment factor. His opinions are not always helpful, but there's usually some degree of truth in them and I find him hilarious when I am familiar with the game he is using as a subject. But that's because he's telling me things I already know, just in a way that I find funny. I do NOT go to him for game reviews. I go to him to laugh. He CAN fall flat when there are actually very few criticisms of a game and he tries to nitpick and find something tiny to target and turn into a rant, but more often than not I enjoy his stuff purely for entertainment's sake. It is, in a way, why I like reading the comics on Penny Arcade.

In fact, that's a pretty good generalisation to make: I read articles about games I already own, am playing, or have played, usually to see what other people have taken away from the experience. As mentioned above, I don't go LOOKING for these articles, they are often linked or shared with me by others, and these are articles that offer something a simple game review or preview does not. Insight, usually. I don't really care about graphics (or, at least, not so much that it would impact on me buying or not buying the game) and everyone's gameplay preferences are different. But I DO care and am extremely interested in how the story experience and style and game environment speak to the player, perhaps offering an alternate interpretation or understanding of the game from what I got.

A great example of one such article is this one: http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/213466/bayonetta-empowering-or-exploitative/

Not necessarily because it stirs the pot or anything, but because it actually served to encourage ME to rethink how I looked at being female, and I think there is great value in that, and it DEFINITELY added to my in-game experience.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I like Extra Credits if only due to a lack of serious discussion on games. But the high-pitch voice effect they do for it gets on my nerves.

It's also probably too serious.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It's also not as serious as some people take it to be. :?

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    I like yahtzee because I laugh at his videos

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    This piece about video games (well, more social games) is INCREDIBLY HORRIFYING.

http://insertcredit.com/2011/09/22/who-killed-videogames-a-ghost-story/

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Ars Technica: Ben Kuchera's reviews.

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    games journalism is mostly some ol bullshit

• Options
    Skull Man wrote:
    games journalism is mostly some ol bullshit

I've been wondering what the proper term for it would be. And I don't mean as a joke, I know you said bullshit, but I mean seriously what is it supposed to be called since it isn't journalism at all? There's entertainment-journalism, so maybe 'video game journalism' is just as valid a term as that, if only for a lack of better phrasing existing.

This discussion has been closed.