As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Batman - Arkham Origins/Blackgate announced, October 25th release date GET HYPE

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:
    I have a question, but I don't know what percentage of the game its at, so I guess, don't click if you haven't beaten the game.
    When you go back to the Steel Mill to get the cure back from Harley and Joker, Harley's tied up and gagged. Why? I didn't do that... so who did? Talking to Harley made it sound like we had a fight I missed

Endgame spoiler.

I too was kind of confused by that, I can only assume it was clayface who took the cure for some reason and never gave it to joker. Honestly the last section with regards to the cure and joker/clayface, is confusing as hell. Clayface has the cure, but doesn't give it to joker, who he's still working with. Also Talia is shot but batman carries out the body of his one true love the joker.

It kind of falls apart there narratively to be completely honest. Too many loose end tie ups/WHAT A TWIST without really explaining any of it.

About harley though, lets be honest, who didn't take the tape off her mouth and put it back on a couple times?

I did it like 10 times at least. It... it kind of turned me on. I mean.. I mean it did turn me on.

Sounds like Buddies always wanted to.

*Sun glasses*

Ride a Harley.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So Augmented Reality Training #3. How the hell do I do that one? It looks like four rings and I have to do the Dive Bomb through rings 1-3 but then ring 4 is above ring 3. Is this a gadget or move I get later?

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote:
    So Augmented Reality Training #3. How the hell do I do that one? It looks like four rings and I have to do the Dive Bomb through rings 1-3 but then ring 4 is above ring 3. Is this a gadget or move I get later?

Pull up on your dive bomb and you'll go up. Its all timing at that point.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So, is it the four AR missions, and then four more "Advanced" AR missions? cause the advanced ones are killing me, but I want the cheevo. Are these four the last of them?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    You can pull up a dive bomb

that is a thing you can do

I should have read that in the manual OH YEAH THERE ISN'T ONE

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote:
    You can pull up a dive bomb

that is a thing you can do

I should have read that in the manual OH YEAH THERE ISN'T ONE

Learn to do this now, because there is a story mode mission that assumes you can do this, and if you are bad at it like I was, it was frustrating as hell.

I think so Skull, because I'm 60% complete with that side mission and I only did the necessary ones to unlock the sensuous grapple boost.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I didn't have an issue with the AR trainings. I cleared all of them but one on my first time. The one where you have to dive bomb and glide through the very small tunnel to the end took me a small bit to finally pull off but overall, they turned out to be easier than I expected.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    So, is it the four AR missions, and then four more "Advanced" AR missions? cause the advanced ones are killing me, but I want the cheevo. Are these four the last of them?

Yes, and all you get for finishing the advanced ones is a cheevo. Well, and that 0.004 progress percentage.

Goddamn the AR missions suck. Absolutely no margin of error for the advanced ones.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:

Yes, and all you get for finishing the advanced ones is a cheevo. Well, and that 0.004 progress percentage.

Goddamn the AR missions suck. Absolutely no margin of error for the advanced ones.

It's funny how the they jumped immediately from "Take a leisurely glide" to "we are going to skull fuck you with some hardcore precision dive-bombing hairpin-turning shit"

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:

They are the one side missions I don't have finished. I have done everything else in campaign mode. But those just taunt me. I think they will continue to just do that and I will leave them unfinished.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    You shouldn't make an error because...you know...you being Batman and all. With enough prep time, he never makes errors. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Wow, I didn't realize that so many people would have had trouble with the AR trainings. Interesting...

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    You shouldn't make an error because...you know...you being Batman and all. With enough prep time, he never makes errors. :P

Not my retard batman, he's died to some pretty stupid things. Also spoiler for a riddle solution near the end of the game.

The question mark on the tower where you have to leap to your death to complete the solution? Kind of a dick move riddler kind of a dick move.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    Wow, I didn't realize that so many people would have had trouble with the AR trainings. Interesting...

I don't think I had as much trouble with them as some people seem to be having, but the jump in difficulty was really jarring from the base missions to the advanced ones.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

I actually beat my head against them for nearly a solid hour, because I kept hearing "do the AR missions ASAP!" Which is good advice, but they should have added "but don't knock yourself out on the advanced ones."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:

The question mark on the tower where you have to leap to your death to complete the solution? Kind of a dick move riddler kind of a dick move.

Wait, what is this one? You have to jump off a building and snap a shot while falling to line one up?

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

Yeah there was only 1 Advanced AR mission that took me more than 3 tries to get. I got the first two on the first try.

The one through the Joker mouth gave me the most fits.

The one through the train roof took me 3 tries.

Not sure if I have an advice on those, more that I maybe just got lucky, don't know.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:
    I have a question, but I don't know what percentage of the game its at, so I guess, don't click if you haven't beaten the game.
    When you go back to the Steel Mill to get the cure back from Harley and Joker, Harley's tied up and gagged. Why? I didn't do that... so who did? Talking to Harley made it sound like we had a fight I missed

Endgame spoiler.

I too was kind of confused by that, I can only assume it was clayface who took the cure for some reason and never gave it to joker. Honestly the last section with regards to the cure and joker/clayface, is confusing as hell. Clayface has the cure, but doesn't give it to joker, who he's still working with. Also Talia is shot but batman carries out the body of his one true love the joker.

It kind of falls apart there narratively to be completely honest. Too many loose end tie ups/WHAT A TWIST without really explaining any of it.

About harley though, lets be honest, who didn't take the tape off her mouth and put it back on a couple times?
    It was Talia. Watch the end scene again. She had the cure, not Clayface. Talia intercepted Harley before she made it back to Joker.

• Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    Grove wrote:
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

Yeah there was only 1 Advanced AR mission that took me more than 3 tries to get. I got the first two on the first try.

Not sure if I have an advice on those, more that I maybe just got lucky, don't know.

Honestly if you just have more patience than freaking our after 1 try and failing they'll take you like 10 minutes to complete. Not really that hard. Just keep at it. If you failed it. You'll probably be able to finish it after just another good 20 or so tries.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:

Wait, what is this one? You have to jump off a building and snap a shot while falling to line one up?
    You can grapple back with RB on that one, you don't actually have to fall and let the game save you.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Lars wrote:
    If you haven't listened to the Mad Hatter's audio logs, they're definitely worth listening to and makes me wish he was in the game more.

In regards to Scarecrow, there are two things:
    1. The riddle answer, which is the mask surrounded by the crows, and...
    2. The locked boat down in the water that you use your remote hacker thing to get in and find a thug hopped up on fear gas and a bunch of invoices to a Dr. Crane (no, not Frasier).

where is the second thing?

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Skull2185 wrote:

Ending Spoilers...
    Talia specifically mentions she intercepted Harley and took the cure. So presumably Talia left her tied up.

Edit: Whoops. Missed a post clarifying this.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Elendil wrote:
    It was Talia. Watch the end scene again. She had the cure, not Clayface. Talia intercepted Harley before she made it back to Joker.

Missed that entirely. Damn that ass making me miss key plot points. It is kind of funny though in her character trophy Talias ass is darkened by a shadow. Come on developer she's been shaking that thing at me the whole game!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Grove wrote:
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

The Joker mouth one was the only one that gave me trouble. It took me about twenty tries, but with patience, none of them are that difficult. Although I will agree the advanced ones require some fancy gliding, diving, and turning compared to the first two.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Got all the ranked challenge medals. The bat swarm and beatdown moves make getting the points way easier than the last game.

A couple of the predator maps are really freaking hard though.

• Options
    I tried some of the challenge maps earlier, I could barely get one medal, on the easier ones I got the mid rank one. In the batman world I'm the underpaid illegal immigrant labor alfred hires to take care of Wayne manor.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Was watching videos of the DLC Challenge Maps and saw some interesting stuff:
    Robin comes with two: A predator challenge called "Black Mask" which looks to be in a meat packing plant or something, and a combat challenge called "Freight Train." He also gets a challenge campaign that runs through both of them with a cutscene between them showing Black Mask flee the building and hop on the train and your character following him. The Freight Train combat map is unique for being a side scroller and also for having boss characters in it (Mr. Hammer and Black Mask both fight you during Round 4).

Next up is Joker's Carnival. It's actually unlike other combat maps in that it has no rounds. Instead it is a 3 minute survival match against infinite thugs. However, a meter builds up on the right side of the screen (activated by RB/R1) and it can give you bonus points and add time to your clock (giving more the further you let the meter build). Also this map has a hidden bonus where if you get a x100 combo, the Joker will join the fight and you get to beat on him as well.

Lastly is the Penguin's Iceberg Lounge map which apparently came with the collector's edition. I had forgotten about this one, and the video I watched wasn't terribly clear but it looked to function similar to the Joker map (ie. no rounds) except it did not appear to have a time limit or that little meter on the right. So I guess it's just a straight up fight until you die map. No idea if the Penguin can show up in the map, but both the other DLC combat maps have a boss in them so I'd guess he probably can.

Thus far the last two don't have release dates yet. It's possible they both come with Nightwing, but that'd be a little odd since Robin had a predator map and a combat map (both with the theme of Black Mask) so it'd be strange for Nightwing to get 2 combat maps with different villain focuses. Of course, if they don't come with Nightwing, when are they coming and are they coming with anything else?

• Options
    ryvenryven Registered User regular
    scarecrow part people are asking about
    theres a falcone boat near the water, i think its the only boat (near industrial district) - land on the boat, and beside the box you can use your hack tool to get in

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    They could use some little video tutorials for the Predator Challenge requirements.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    I tried some of the challenge maps earlier, I could barely get one medal, on the easier ones I got the mid rank one. In the batman world I'm the underpaid illegal immigrant labor alfred hires to take care of Wayne manor.

The key to getting medals is mostly not letting your combo break. I don't even use gadgets anymore in those because they aren't worth many points compared to some other shit you can do. Killing someone with a strike/counter is worth little points(10xcombo score). Killing someone with a combat takedown is preferable(50xcombo score). Ground Takedowns are worth more(75xcombo score) but are very risky to do. Knife counter-takedowns are worth a the most that I know of(100xcombo score), along with Titan and Hammer/Sickle Takedowns(also 100xcombo score). Beat Downs I think are 50xcombo score? I don't know but they are generous enough.

Variation Bonus and Gadget Bonuses will only net you like 500 to 1000 points, and focusing on them can mess your combo up quickly. Keep it simple.

First and foremost, use the weapon destroy special on all shields and stun batons. Then find an Hammer/Sickle, Titan, or Armored Guy (In that order) and commence a beat down on them. You can interrupt your Beatdown to Counter anyone that attacks you and then continue the beat down. I advise not countering people when attacking Hammer/Sickle, just dodge over Hammers head and continue the beat down when anyone trys to attack you. If someone attacks you with a knife then you will have to start the beat down over again as the knife attacks are long enough for them to recover. This allows you to get to a high combo really early and you can start taking dudes. I try to only do Knife-takedowns for those juicy x100 points, and try not to stay in freeflow for too long. Freeflow will cause your hits to do too much damage, so I reset it with a Bat Tornado, as that doesn't kill anyone, gives good points and resets your freeflow.

It just takes being comfortable knowing when someone is going to try and hit you, and knowing what moves make you invulnerable. Combat Takedown/Weapon Destroy makes you invulnerable for the duration of the animation. Counters make you invulnerable for the duration of the animation, so long as you hit counter for however many dudes are attacking you. Dodge (X X/A A) makes you invulnerable for the duration of the animation. Explosive Gel quick fire makes you Invulnerable ONLY for the duration of the flip animation while putting down the gel not for exploding it.

The only map you need to use Variation and Gadget Bonuses is the first combat map (Justice something or another). Once you get blade takedowns consistently, and start abusing beatdown then the extreme maps are a fucking ton of fun.

Edit: I am fucking terrible at predator stuff. I find myself trying to do stuff as if I were Solid Snake, but batman doesn't have the "Knock on this to lure a guy over without alerting every fucking guy on the entire map". Plus the corner takedown never fucking works for me in AC, which was one of my favorite takedowns in AA (and now it alerts the shit out of everyone even when you do pull it off).

Buddies on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Preacher wrote:

I glided to get it, curved around and landed safely on the lower areas.
    Preacher, er, decided not to do this. And is blaming Riddler for that...

I'm just messing with you Preacher. :P

Someone asked a while back if I thought Robin was bad. I do not think Robin is bad and I would not bother posting up videos showing how good he is in 720p if I thought so. That is a lot of effort.

The games manual exists in the intricately detailed and lovingly crafted power upgrade information screen. Every single thing Batman can do is in there, everything.
    Every. Thing.

There is no thing anyone here has described that could not be found via 15 minutes reading them. They are not just for buyable powers, they go through the function of every ability. The predator section? You can't buy any of that. Instead it tells you exactly what they all are and when you can use them. Ditto for anything else there at the start.
    I read them early. I suggest anyone who wants to bitch about a lack of documentation do this thing.

Except medal challenges. They were needlessly vague.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I got the solution, and I didn't have to do any silly gliding... Forget you morning!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Hey man you wanna be a suicidal batman that's up to you I aint making no comment.
    Speaking of, you know how most "deathtrap" situations in these games he shoots off a grapple hook.
    I found one where he doesn't.
    The molten rock in the furnace in Jokers place at the start. He just dies and melts slowly down into it. I genuinely messed up and fell in there. I felt so bad. So bad.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Hey man you wanna be a suicidal batman that's up to you I aint making no comment.
    Speaking of, you know how most "deathtrap" situations in these games he shoots off a grapple hook.
    I found one where he doesn't.
    The molten rock in the furnace in Jokers place at the start. He just dies and melts slowly down into it. I genuinely messed up and fell in there. I felt so bad. So bad.

Batman felt terrible you died there he felt you deserved a shameful ending.

Though the king of guilt shaming is Issac Clarke in Dead Space 2. "Oh you screwed up fighting this monster from hell? Well I'm going to have my head be ripped off and be replaced by its tendril WITNESS YOUR FAILURE!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    @Buddies: I agree with all your tips except....takedowns are not invulnerable. You can get shot at and enemies with guns will happily do so. Minibosses also ignore it. Best to think of them as a shock style move that makes everybody back away for a little bit. "Oh my god look at what he's doing to that guy I don't think I want to punch him anymore...ew ow argh oh jesus"

Also Beatdowns when in focus mode are a fantastic and cheap way of getting points. You punch faster in focus so you can start one and finish it before needing to counter unless enemies are right next to you when you start. Free 50 points + 2 or 3 combo points off that guy. Careful management will let you do it to a whole room.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    ryven wrote:
    theres a falcone boat near the water, i think its the only boat (near industrial district) - land on the boat, and beside the box you can use your hack tool to get in

ok, so
    whats the password?

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Joolander wrote:
    ryven wrote:

ok, so
    whats the password?
    CityofTerror

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    thank you
    dude was dead when I got in there

was that supposed to happen?

Joolander on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote:
    thank you
    dude was dead when I got in there

was that supposed to happen?
    I think sometimes he springs to life and freaks out for a few seconds before settling down again

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

The key to getting medals is mostly not letting your combo break. I don't even use gadgets anymore in those because they aren't worth many points compared to some other shit you can do. Killing someone with a strike/counter is worth little points(10xcombo score). Killing someone with a combat takedown is preferable(50xcombo score). Ground Takedowns are worth more(75xcombo score) but are very risky to do. Knife counter-takedowns are worth a the most that I know of(100xcombo score), along with Titan and Hammer/Sickle Takedowns(also 100xcombo score). Beat Downs I think are 50xcombo score? I don't know but they are generous enough.

Variation Bonus and Gadget Bonuses will only net you like 500 to 1000 points, and focusing on them can mess your combo up quickly. Keep it simple.

First and foremost, use the weapon destroy special on all shields and stun batons. Then find an Hammer/Sickle, Titan, or Armored Guy (In that order) and commence a beat down on them. You can interrupt your Beatdown to Counter anyone that attacks you and then continue the beat down. I advise not countering people when attacking Hammer/Sickle, just dodge over Hammers head and continue the beat down when anyone trys to attack you. If someone attacks you with a knife then you will have to start the beat down over again as the knife attacks are long enough for them to recover. This allows you to get to a high combo really early and you can start taking dudes. I try to only do Knife-takedowns for those juicy x100 points, and try not to stay in freeflow for too long. Freeflow will cause your hits to do too much damage, so I reset it with a Bat Tornado, as that doesn't kill anyone, gives good points and resets your freeflow.

It just takes being comfortable knowing when someone is going to try and hit you, and knowing what moves make you invulnerable. Combat Takedown/Weapon Destroy makes you invulnerable for the duration of the animation. Counters make you invulnerable for the duration of the animation, so long as you hit counter for however many dudes are attacking you. Dodge (X X/A A) makes you invulnerable for the duration of the animation. Explosive Gel quick fire makes you Invulnerable ONLY for the duration of the flip animation while putting down the gel not for exploding it.

The only map you need to use Variation and Gadget Bonuses is the first combat map (Justice something or another). Once you get blade takedowns consistently, and start abusing beatdown then the extreme maps are a fucking ton of fun.

Edit: I am fucking terrible at predator stuff. I find myself trying to do stuff as if I were Solid Snake, but batman doesn't have the "Knock on this to lure a guy over without alerting every fucking guy on the entire map". Plus the corner takedown never fucking works for me in AC, which was one of my favorite takedowns in AA (and now it alerts the shit out of everyone even when you do pull it off).

The sonic batarang works as a lure pretty well. It usually only draws one person over.