Options

Video Game Industry Thread: November's done, post in the new one

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Re: Netflix.

It came to Canada a year ago or so, and while I enjoyed plowing through the entire run of Red Dwarf on it along with like 3 seasons of Mad Men, far too often I'd go looking for a movie or show, only to find they didn't have it. And the "sorry, we don't have YYYY, would you like to watch ZZZZZ?" bit drove me up the wall, though that might've just been me. No, fuckers, if I wanted to watch ZZZZZ I'd have asked for ZZZZZ.

In terms of content for cash, $8 for 2 months of service got me a chance to catch a couple of seasons of a show I wasn't willing to drop cash on Amazon for, and some movies I'd missed 5 to 20 years before, but otherwise I wasn't bowled over.

Now, I get that the US service has been around a lot longer, has a lot more movies and shows, and people usually speak favourably of the disk service, but going by my experiences with the Canadian Digital only arm, it got a resounding Meh. I might just have to browse their selection again and see if a resub might be worthwhile for a month or two, but I'm doubtful.

Oh, and their iphone app was a piece of garbage that almost never worked. I think I successfully managed to watch half an episode of RD at the gym once. Far too often it spent 3 minutes trying to load before shitting itself and locking or dying.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The gameplay outside of the first two acts is flat, the bosses suck, the cutscenes are too long, the story is terrible, installing every act is a pain, eight million weapons and only four of them are worth using, stupid product placement everywhere, and the ending which retroactively makes other games worse for being related to this steaming pile.

Kojima had a vision with this game, but someone needed to tone it down some. It's the worst waste of potential in video game history.

You're complaining about long cutscenes, an overabundance of weapons, and product placement? Have you played a Metal Gear game in the past decade?

MGS4 was a series ender in the sense that it wrapped up Snake's portion of the storyline as well as tying up the plotlines for the previous three games. The storyline may have been absolutely ridiculous, but that's Metal Gear for you.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    More upfront then Microsoft at this point which is seemingly facing a serious hacking scandal of their own.

yeah, what the hell is going on there and why isn't it causing a lot more outrage then it is? I haven't even seen it mentioned on Joystiq.

Is that the thing where people are getting locked out of their consoles? It's hard to tell if this is a widespread thing or if the few people who are getting affected are being loud about it. Still, it really would be nice to know the scope.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote:
    If you're expecting Captain America or Green Lantern on Netflix streaming the month it releases I don't know what to tell you, that's not really what the service is. It's catalog titles like Mad Max or Slapshot or Bullitt that you can watch whenever in HD without the commercials and editing that happens on cable.

To claim it's all SyFy ripoff made-for-tv stuff isn't genuine.

Also the Tower Heist thing was Comcast xfinity, not Netflix, and it's still a go as a trial. It's 70 bucks to rent it day of release in theaters, so like next Friday..

Well thanks to Netflix all the rental stores are closing, so the only way to rent newish movies now is to hope it's on ppv and at the time you want it to be on. Netflix has killed the easiest way I have of seeing new movies and doesn't actually offer those movies at the same time.

So it kind of really sucks. What's even worse is that I'm outside the US which means no DVD option and an even worse selection for streaming.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    The Canadian Netflix is pretty universally known to just be absolute garbage compared to the US version. So you're sort of boned there just by geography.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    More upfront then Microsoft at this point which is seemingly facing a serious hacking scandal of their own.

yeah, what the hell is going on there and why isn't it causing a lot more outrage then it is? I haven't even seen it mentioned on Joystiq.

This is the first I've heard about this .

Oh and that beavis and butthead clip cloud posted? Wasn't too sure about it coming back, but I'm sold now

• Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

Is that the thing where people are getting locked out of their consoles? It's hard to tell if this is a widespread thing or if the few people who are getting affected are being loud about it. Still, it really would be nice to know the scope.

No, lots of people are having their accounts compromised where the thief buys lots of points then spends them, often on FIFA stuff because it can be turned into real world cash. It's made worse by the fact that MS locks people out of their paying accounts for a month or more while they "investigate". It's also bad because MS won't let you remove your CC if you paid for your gold subscription that way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    So you only get hacked if you play FIFA? Got it. I'm safe then.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Nope, you get hacked and they buy FIFA stuff. Doesn't matter if you own it or not.

Also... so, Rockstar announced that they will be announcing GTA5? Gonna file that under not news.

• Options
    Rakai wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

No, lots of people are having their accounts compromised where the thief buys lots of points then spends them, often on FIFA stuff because it can be turned into real world cash. It's made worse by the fact that MS locks people out of their paying accounts for a month or more while they "investigate". It's also bad because MS won't let you remove your CC if you paid for your gold subscription that way.

Oooooh, that. Yeah, that's potentially a bad problem, but again, it's hard to tell the scope on this.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Rakai wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

A month is being optimistic. And apprently when the email is changed on your account, it's going to Russian email addresses.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    So you have to be Russian to get hacked? Got it. I'm safe then.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    MGS4 had the best gameplay of the series, some great bosses, and was one of the best-looking and sounding games I've ever played. The story and cutscenes were no more ridiculous than the rest of the series, and I for one enjoyed it, because it was exactly what I expected it to be. One of my favorite games this gen.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Also... so, Rockstar announced that they will be announcing GTA5? Gonna file that under not news.

Why not? An announcement of an upcoming announcement still makes it official and starts the clock ticking.

If Sony said tomorrow that they're going to announce their next handheld that will be coming after Vita, people would shit bricks!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Rakai wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

If you pay by CC, then you switch to Paypal, then remove XBL from PayPal payments then you're set.

• Options
    urahonky wrote:

If you pay by CC, then you switch to Paypal, then remove XBL from PayPal payments then you're set.

I still can't believe they can't figure out a way to just remove your fucking credit card, I have had the same expired card on my account for like 4 years now and I've jumped through every single hoop I've ever heard mentioned on the internet to get it removed but no dice.

• Options
    urahonky wrote:
    Rakai wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

But if you've been hacked you can't get into your account anymore to do that.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

Why not? An announcement of an upcoming announcement still makes it official and starts the clock ticking.

If Sony said tomorrow that they're going to announce their next handheld that will be coming after Vita, people would shit bricks!

Was anyone under the impression that Rockstar wouldn't be working on GTA5 sometime? If they had announced that instead then I would have been shocked.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote:
    urahonky wrote:
    Rakai wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

But if you've been hacked you can't get into your account anymore to do that.

You should be doing this anyway. :P

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2011

Was anyone under the impression that Rockstar wouldn't be working on GTA5 sometime? If they had announced that instead then I would have been shocked.

And when the release date is announced, that's also not news, since was anyone really under the impression that it wouldn't eventually be released?

Shrug, it's silly to talk about I guess.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    GTA IV has been spared a lot of heat this gen by just how bad MGS 4 turned out.

FFXIII is in a similar boat.

It's funny, a bunch of those biggest name games that everyone was looking forward to have been widely criticized this gen. Of course a lot of other games have done really well for themselves, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Red Dead etc.

Heh, good point. On top of the surprises you mentioned, who would have guessed that one of this gen's top new game series would be based on a superhero IP? I still can't believe how well Batman turned out.

Says the guy that took forever to actually play AA. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote:
    urahonky wrote:

I still can't believe they can't figure out a way to just remove your fucking credit card, I have had the same expired card on my account for like 4 years now and I've jumped through every single hoop I've ever heard mentioned on the internet to get it removed but no dice.

I had an expired CC on my XBL account. There's an option to remove it right on your Xbox. Removed two old CC's in like, 2 minutes.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Rakai wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

Correct. The FIFA Ultimate Team DLC comes in card-like booster packs with each player. At random. These guys are using others' accounts to purchase the DLC, and then trade it to another account they own. Then they can sell team packs for real money, which some people prefer because they can get their favorite players without buying a huge number of boosters.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    Where do you remove XBL from paypal after applying paypal to the subscription?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I don't remember where I heard it, but I seem to recall hearing that the issue with people's XBox accounts buying FIFA stuff was a result of people getting people's XBox passwords from something else (something else got hacked and some people used the same password on both).

In any case, the scope is drastically smaller than the PSN issues we had earlier.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    GTA IV has been spared a lot of heat this gen by just how bad MGS 4 turned out.

FFXIII is in a similar boat.

It's funny, a bunch of those biggest name games that everyone was looking forward to have been widely criticized this gen. Of course a lot of other games have done really well for themselves, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Red Dead etc.

Heh, good point. On top of the surprises you mentioned, who would have guessed that one of this gen's top new game series would be based on a superhero IP? I still can't believe how well Batman turned out.

Says the guy that took forever to actually play AA. :P

Hah! That's actually part of the reason I took well over a year to play it... I just couldn't believe a licensed IP could be that good. But I didn't make the same mistake with AC.

At any rate, Microsoft is notorious for making their Live payment options a pain in the ass, and they're getting painier. Assier? Whichever. At any rate, they apparently decided recently to make it impossible to cancel gold without calling a customer service rep. Yet you can sign up with a button click.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't know how widespread the hacking was, but I got hit back in early august and it seemed like thats about when it started getting widespread.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I don't remember where I heard it, but I seem to recall hearing that the issue with people's XBox accounts buying FIFA stuff was a result of people getting people's XBox passwords from something else (something else got hacked and some people used the same password on both).

Hm. Sounds like a relatively low-tech way to transform ill-gotten passwords into cash without having to crack a credit card. Log onto account, buy crap that you can transform into funds.

• Options
    edited October 2011

In any case, the scope is drastically smaller than the PSN issues we had earlier.

Also correct. From what's been shown, it seems like Xbox Live hasn't been hacked as much as people have been getting their passwords found out through other means. Much like the last PSN hack a few weeks ago. Hackers get a list of user/pass combinations from one service and then they brute force them on another service. That's not necessarily Sony and Microsoft's problem at that point, outside of a customer service issue. And seemingly the problems are being corrected, just at Microsoft's pace.
    At any rate, Microsoft is notorious for making their Live payment options a pain in the ass, and they're getting painier. Assier? Whichever. At any rate, they apparently decided recently to make it impossible to cancel gold without calling a customer service rep. Yet you can sign up with a button click.

Yeah, that's why I switched from a direct payment to a XBL Gold card with no auto-renew.

Automaticzen on
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Allforce wrote:
    urahonky wrote:

I had an expired CC on my XBL account. There's an option to remove it right on your Xbox. Removed two old CC's in like, 2 minutes.

This is the same song and dance I've heard and tried dozens of times, the CC is forever stuck there. I've tried every option short of driving to Mumbai and choke-slamming a supervisor in their call center until they remove it while I stand over their broken body.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    That's odd about CC's... I didn't even know there was an issue.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

Also correct. From what's been shown, it seems like Xbox Live hasn't been hacked as much as people have been getting their passwords found out through other means. Much like the last PSN hack a few weeks ago. Hackers get a list of user/pass combinations from one service and then they brute force them on another service. That's not necessarily Sony and Microsoft's problem at that point, outside of a customer service issue. And seemingly the problems are being corrected, just at Microsoft's pace.

Yeah, that's why I switched from a direct payment to a XBL Gold card with no auto-renew.

Yes my account was compromised a few months back. Microsoft is dragging their heels on the unauthorized access investigation that was supposed to be done weeks ago. It's pissing me off.

But apparently the people bought some Street Fighter IV DLC stuff and 4000 MS points.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited October 2011

Microsoft tells people that, actually, when you call to report it. Basically, it's your fault. But most forum posts are pointing at thieves calling Xbox Live and pushing through an email address change by insisting they're the owner of the account and that the previous email account is no longer available and Microsoft processes it.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote:

Microsoft tells people that, actually, when you call to report it. Basically, it's your fault. But most forum posts are pointing at thieves calling Xbox Live and pushing through an email address change by insisting they're the owner of the account and that the previous email account is no longer available and Microsoft processes it.

Not sure if that's true or not. I've called them up and told them my email was hacked (which it was) and they would NOT budge at all when I asked them to change the email address/password/anything even though I could tell them everything I had on the account.

• Options
    urahonky wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

Not sure if that's true or not. I've called them up and told them my email was hacked (which it was) and they would NOT budge at all when I asked them to change the email address/password/anything even though I could tell them everything I had on the account.

yeah, but if you hung up and called back, again and again and again, eventually you'd get someone to do it.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote:
    urahonky wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

yeah, but if you hung up and called back, again and again and again, eventually you'd get someone to do it.

I tried 3 times and talked to the manager once. They told me I had to deal with my email problem separately (which, oddly enough, had NO phone support. It was only via email).

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Yes my account was compromised a few months back. Microsoft is dragging their heels on the unauthorized access investigation that was supposed to be done weeks ago. It's pissing me off.

Yep, that's the larger problem currently. Microsoft is taking forever to deal with the issues.
    But apparently the people bought some Street Fighter IV DLC stuff and 4000 MS points.

Why the SF DLC? That seems useless. Can't be traded.

• Options
    urahonky wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:
    urahonky wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

I tried 3 times and talked to the manager once. They told me I had to deal with my email problem separately (which, oddly enough, had NO phone support. It was only via email).

When we checked around to see what the extent of the problem was, that's what's causing it. That's based on poeple swearing they don't have single password accounts all over the place. My BF definitely didn't either. Microsoft said it was happening either due to keyloggers or you giving away too much personal info over Xbox Live.

• Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    Is this the time that I can say again that they ignored two of my phone calls to cancel my Gold subscription a few months ago? And then when I called to get the charge reversed they tried to convince me to keep the Gold they billed me for by saying it was a better deal than I could get anywhere else? Because they did that. XBL customer service is some damned AOL-level, bush league bullshit.

I've been following the account hacking, and there are many who say that they were not social-engineered. In any case, it is dumb because this type of account hacking has a pretty distinct MO, and while MS seems to have caught on, they respond to it by locking down the account for weeks instead of just denying the account changes or transactions.

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Yeah it took 18 business days for them to unlock my account, and even longer for the actual money to be refunded.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net