As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mechwarrior Online: A thing that is going to happen

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Gimme mechwarrior game with aerospace fighters, maybe dropships and vehicles. Definitely elementals

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    man, there was a mission in mw4 mercs where you had to fuck up katrina steiner's dropship?

bitch was packin

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote:
    Battlemaster. Only two-seater cockpit I can think of.

There was a modified Cyclops in one of the books, during Operation Serpeant or Bulldog, that had second seat for a C3 officer.

• Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    Combine allllll day

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    man, there was a mission in mw4 mercs where you had to fuck up katrina steiner's dropship?

bitch was packin

not her dropship but it was a dropship.

But yeah, I lost a lot of C-Bills trying to take that bitch down.

"Stroker, Hoop, hit your jump jets and get on top of that egg. Hit eject and try to crack it."

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote:
    Gimme mechwarrior game with aerospace fighters, maybe dropships and vehicles. Definitely elementals

It's called "Mech" warrior, though.

Although I do remember an AeroTech book that had stuff for aerospace fighters, and the compendium had rules for the rest of the vehicles. Drop/Jump/Warships were covered in Battlespace, which I inexplicably own.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    Also downloading mechcommander 2

YEAH!

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular

bitch was packin

not her dropship but it was a dropship.

But yeah, I lost a lot of C-Bills trying to take that bitch down.

"Stroker, Hoop, hit your jump jets and get on top of that egg. Hit eject and try to crack it."

me too

man, i need to go find my game

and that other mission, where you're tangling with the jade falcons(?) and you crest the hill and oh shit they're everywhere

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Tox wrote:
    Vehicles were broken as hell. They started off being shitty (because they wanted the focus of the game to be on, you know, the giant walking death machines), and they kept trying to balance and rebalance vehicles by giving them all sorts of little advantages and disadvantages, but mostly, they were just fucked up.

I used to run a Maxim hovercraft fitted with nothing more than an Arrow IV system with my lance. Mobile artillery.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Also way back in junior high I ran a MW2 tabletop campaign as a merc unit hired to prevent the Word of Blake rebellion.

• Options
    I will now have to root around in my RPG tote and find my old BattleTech notes. I may actually post some designs. That could be fun.

• Options
    Sleepwalker9Sleepwalker9 Registered User regular
    Hey. Hey guys. My Mech better be able to carry a fucking axe.

CCG_Unlimited_Hatchetman_S.jpg

Xbox Live: Reborn9
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    They said in the FAQ that they aren't working on a melee system.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Was always a fan of the Axeman though

Good for showing those dirty Clanners what's up

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Why aren't you guys talkin about how bitchin the Shadow Hawk is?

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Also this little asshole http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Locust

Aka, WHY CANT I AIM DOWN IN MY BATTLE MASTER OH FUCK I HATE YOU MECHWARRIOR 1!

• Options
    Sleepwalker9Sleepwalker9 Registered User regular
    For pure aesthetics, I've always been in love with the Grasshopper.

Xbox Live: Reborn9
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Jade Falcon or Ghost Bear.

The only clans I ever rolled with.

• Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    Tox wrote:
    Artreus wrote:

Although I do remember an AeroTech book that had stuff for aerospace fighters, and the compendium had rules for the rest of the vehicles. Drop/Jump/Warships were covered in Battlespace, which I inexplicably own.

Vehicles don't really have a lot of special rules, they just tend to get loads and loads of crits unless you play with special effectiveness rules (which you should). Aerospace is a very different beast compared to ground combat though.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The only advantages to vehicles are fewer hit locations and not having to deal with heat from non-energy weapons. Although, if you built forces with cost and point values they become pretty useful.

• Options
    I wouldn't call fewer hit locations an advantage when you only need to blow up one side to take out the entire vehicle. Vehicles are nice in that they typically carry a crapton of armour or guns for their price, but mechs are still kings of the battlefield by virtue of mobility and surviveability. There's just a lot of regicide.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Someone find me a serial port to USB converter so I can hook up my old Thrustmaster.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    was it a 9 or 25 pin serial connection? newegg should have a ton of cheap converters

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Wiet wrote:
    Really though the only Clans worth paying attention to are Jade Falcon, Wolf and Ghost Bear and Smoke Jaguar to some extent. The others are there for show but generally don't show up untill way later in the timeline.

Hey! Coyote or die!

Have you read the Wars of Reaving book that came out a while back? Coyote goes completely insane in that one, along with the rest of Clan society. It's a great read.
    Henroid wrote:
    I'm hurt that Clan Wolf was described as "Mary Sues," like what the hell. :evil:

They totally are though. They're Clan ''oh no, we must protect the Inner Sphere'' and then succeed at everything without effort. They even win on Tukayyid after one of their bloody Khans gets shot! The good news is that after the Refusal War where Wolf and Jade Falcon grind eachother down, Phelan Ward bails out with Alpha Galaxy and takes all the mary sue bits with him into the Inner Sphere. The Crusader Wolves are so, so much better.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Someone find me a serial port to USB converter so I can hook up my old Thrustmaster.

I'm almost positive I have one I could throw in the mail this weekend

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Hey maybe they'll bring in the Protomechs

Stop laughing back there

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    ProtoMechs are designed around 3060 so that's still a long ways away if this game is starting at 3048.

And they're pretty derpy.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    As for Clans I really like the Diamond Sharks, in it to make a buck

The Ha Otoko was designed so it could be sold to both Clan and IS interests

Also the Solitaire is a mean little guy

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    If running around in a suit of armor with a horse head is derpy, then derp me up

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    If running around in a suit of armor with a horse head is derpy, then derp me up
    bU7HK.jpg
    DEgPL.png
    6V1e0.png

Look at some of these things! I'm shaking my head so much I'm afraid I'll break my neck.

I can't wait for the new artist to churn out some more. There are new ProtoMechs in the Wars of Reaving book that actually look cool as hell, but those aren't exactly common yet.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Tox wrote:
    Artreus wrote:

We tried to add in aerospace and vehicles to our 3040 MUD using the FASA source material. The problem was their movement was much faster than mechs and vehicles were just a joke. A jet could do a pass over the entire map before the mech could scan, lock and fire. Helicopters you could maybe get one salvo in on a fly by, but unless they came in and hovered or tried to pop and drop, same problems. The MW PC games modified the numbers quite a bit so there were a mixture in the game.

Don't remember exactly, but vehicles had maybe a four sided die and either one or two of those results were "vehicle destroyed".

I would have to go dig it up. I remember my favorite being a star league 25ish ton Mercury with beagle probe and not much else. Sneak in, occasionally charge and watch the critical hits roll up on the big mechs.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    OTT-7K Ostscout

35 tons
    top speed 129.6 km/h
    jump distance 240m
    armor- 4.5 tons standard (72 pts)

equipment:
    Target Acquisition Gear (TAG)

Noteworthy quotes:
    "Wait, you're supposed to put weapons on these things?"

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular

@Aneurhythmia are you sure it's a serial? Most Joysticks used an MIDI port if they weren't USB.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote:
    They said in the FAQ that they aren't working on a melee system.

LAME

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If I can't mace something with a triple strength myomer active then I'll.....deal with it, I suppose. Just gimmie a King Crab and/or Black Knight, please.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Installing Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries because it's free and the only other MW game I've played is 2 and I'm excited for this one now.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    Wiet wrote:
    ProtoMechs are designed around 3060 so that's still a long ways away if this game is starting at 3048.

Someone wanna explain this Protomech thing to me? I've been a time away from Battletech stuff.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Ruckus wrote:

@Aneurhythmia are you sure it's a serial? Most Joysticks used an MIDI port if they weren't USB.

I had a plastic one that used the MIDI/"game" port on my sound card. I'm pretty sure the one I kept was serial, because it was one of those super old ones with a metal base, and we didn't get a sound card 'til we got a CD-ROM drive. It's at my folks' house, though, so I'd have to go dig it out to be sure.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    Phant wrote:
    Wiet wrote:

Someone wanna explain this Protomech thing to me? I've been a time away from Battletech stuff.

Clan Smoke Jaguar invents them out of desperation after Tukayyid and then Operation Bulldog in an effort to replace the troops they keep losing because the entire Inner Sphere wants them dead. They're basically a step up from Elementals but a little under mechs, weighing around 5-10 tons, designed to be tiny platforms for mech-scale weaponry.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Weren't there also mechs that were basically veritech fighters

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus