As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where we eat: favorite restaurants

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    when i come to seattle i demand to eat like a lumberjack for a day

zonugal, make this happen

Can do!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote:
    Jasconius wrote:
    Zonugal wrote:
    You know where I enjoy eating in the pacific northwest? When I really want to gorge and burst a button on my pants?

famousdaves-bbq.jpg

I fucking love Famous Dave's. When I lived in Ft. Myers it was a weekly event. Garbage can lid platters were mandatory.

Incredible BBQ chicken.

Truly it is how they dine in Valhalla.

someone I was once very close friends with worked there for a few years

the stories ensured that I will never, ever spend another dollar there

management treated their employees like utter shit

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    good to know, Shorty

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Well I'm not going there to work, I go there to eat out of the top of a garbage can.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    Royal Grinders in Fremont makes excellent subs. Man, now I want one.

Ah, yes. You reminded me that I've been wanting to try that place.

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote:
    Well I'm not going there to work, I go there to eat out of the top of a garbage can.

You can do that at any restaurant
    Specifically in the alley behind it

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    LTM wrote:
    crwth wrote:
    the best thing about jj's is the bread i think

also there's a burger place here in downtown orlando called pine 22

get to choose from a nice selection of toppings and sauces

really good

flopax crew should check it out one day

Wasn't that on Man v Food? Is that the place with things like mac and cheese with hot wings sandwiches?

There is a place in Columbus called PJ's and they do that. It basically rules when you are very drunk. My favorite thing to get was the "Fat bastard" sandwich. Mac and Cheese, Chicken Fingers, Bacon, French Fries, Tobasco, and Mayo on a hoagie bun.

edit: here is the menu

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

Yes, but by rewarding them with your money you're effectively endorsing the shitty treatment of their employees. Now, if you don't care about how a company treats their employees, fine. But you can't sincerely claim ignorance anymore, so all you have left to fall back on is that you just don't give a fuck.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:

Yes, but by rewarding them with your money you're effectively endorsing the shitty treatment of their employees. Now, if you don't care about how a company treats their employees, fine. But you can't sincerely claim ignorance anymore, so all you have left to fall back on is that you just don't give a fuck.

Have you read Zonugal's posts?

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Druhim wrote:

Naturally.

But I'm not one to throw away a good restaurant over a piece of 2nd-person gossip.

• Options
    Well, my values are such that part of what defines a good restaurant is the overall experience. Which includes employees that are treated reasonably well.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    What if you ate there and tipped exceptionally well

• Options
    Druhim wrote:
    Well, my values are such that part of what defines a good restaurant is the overall experience. Which includes employees that are treated reasonably well.

this

• Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    You know who make a solid sandwich?

Mr. Sub.

Basically, imagine Subway with ingredients that taste like real food.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Sorry but I only eat vegetables and meat if it was sliced last week.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Down in Olympia, we eat subs from a place called Meconis. They've been around for a while.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/q4o6xJSKTnNez9E_91npsA?select=RL7297MzptLO8qcV-DOsfw

• Options
    Grubwich on broadway in Capitol Hill is delicious

so good

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    More people in the midwest/chicago area need to post here so I know where to eat.

You know what place in chicago is awesome? Billy Goat Tavern. You may know them as the Olympian Diner from the SNL skit as John Belushi and Dan Akyroid ate there all the time, appearently Akyroid still drops by when hes in town. They have great burgers.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    msuitepyon wrote:
    The Vortex--burgers!

Edit: an uninspiring TOTP.

Oh, yes, like I need another reminder I live on the wrong side of the country :(

But yeah, I prefer to make BBQ myself. But when I don't, my favorite BBQ place in the world is The Swallow at the Hollow in Roswell, GA.

Let's see, out here, I dunno. I think basically every Italian place I've been in the Bay Area is my favorite because growing up in Alabama my favorite Italian place was Macaroni Grill. Yeah....

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote:
    Grubwich on broadway in Capitol Hill is delicious

so good

Saw one of these downtown when I was up for PAX. Suffice it to say, I agree.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    So for my birthday, my parents took me to a local Ethiopian restaurant called Abay Market. I love Ethiopian food, so when we saw the place on Anthony Bourdain's show a couple years back I kinda knew I had to get around to going at some point. Best damn thing I've ever eaten, as far as spicy ethnic cuisine goes.

• Options
    Ooooh yeah, Ethiopian is fantastic.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Yeah actually I've been having it a fair bit as there's an ethiopian place that's opened up not far from my house. I'm a fan for sure

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    If you're ever in Dallas, try Elevation Burger. Yummy sauce, grass-fed beef, and french fries fried in olive oil and topped with sea salt. So yum.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    One of my favorite places is this place called Traif. Traif apparently means not Kosher, which is doubly clever because it's in South Williamsburg. It's all small plates you share and it's not that expensive, so you can try a bunch of things. They start you off with this bacon broth that is light and bacony, like the essence of bacon in a glass.

Their menu changes throughout the year, but here's a recent one: http://traifny.com/Images/TraifMenuNew.pdf

Mmm look at dat.

And for dessert they have bacon doughnuts with dulce de leche and coffee ice cream. Mmmm.

poo
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote:
    More people in the midwest/chicago area need to post here so I know where to eat.

You know what place in chicago is awesome? Billy Goat Tavern. You may know them as the Olympian Diner from the SNL skit as John Belushi and Dan Akyroid ate there all the time, appearently Akyroid still drops by when hes in town. They have great burgers.

Is that the one underneath Michigan avenue? We stopped there during a trolley crawl and ate the fuck out of some burgers.

But for Chicago, I found a new Indian restaurant called Bombay Spice.

Oh my God it is sooo good. I usually hate Indian restaurants because they are never as good as my mom's cooking, but this place is fantastic. They also make the food a lot healthier (bake the samosas instead of deep frying, and they use cooking oil instead of all the butter). If anyone likes Indian food and is in Chicago, find it and get some food.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    skettios wrote:
    Is it the same place that makes the Texas Donuts? Cause I looooooove that place.

4Cnzf.png

SEE THE SIZE OF THOSE MAPLE RINGS
    it is super hard to find maple ring donuts nowadays :( they were everywhere when I was younger!

Come to Canada, home of the Maple-Must-Be-Everywhere bylaw.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I fucking love Nando's.

You crazy kids get that in the states?

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Shorty wrote:
    Zonugal wrote:
    Jasconius wrote:
    Zonugal wrote:
    You know where I enjoy eating in the pacific northwest? When I really want to gorge and burst a button on my pants?

famousdaves-bbq.jpg

I fucking love Famous Dave's. When I lived in Ft. Myers it was a weekly event. Garbage can lid platters were mandatory.

Incredible BBQ chicken.

Truly it is how they dine in Valhalla.

someone I was once very close friends with worked there for a few years

the stories ensured that I will never, ever spend another dollar there

management treated their employees like utter shit

Is it something that happened just at that particular branch, or is it more spread?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    Even though I enjoyed the Purple Cafe I think my favorite restaurant in Seattle during PAX was Bruno's Mexican-Italian Restaurant.

ahahahahahaha

Don't you mock me Otter!

STOP IT!!!

I got your back, Jimmy. No one laughs at Bruno!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote:

My eat list in Chicago used to be:

Uncommon Ground
    Red Hen
    Hot Doug's
    Vito and Nick's Pizzeria (or Barraco's in a pinch)
    Avec and/or Blackbird and/or let's be honest The Publican, too

Right now when I get back in town in December all I care about is:
    The Girl & the Goat
    Alinea

please please god let me magically get to eat at Alinea

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    cogellcogell Registered User regular
    After a night of drinking, I'd usually hit up the Fat Sandwich in Norman. It was next to all the bars, open until 3, and delivered beer and cigarettes until 3. The one in Norman closed down, but there's one in Madison, Wisconson and Champaign, Illinois.

Here's the menu http://fatsandwichcompany.com/Madison/index.html

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Alinea is good but you're paying more for the presentation, rather than the meal (but like I said, the meal is really good).

Girl and the Goat is like, goddamn impossible to get a reservation at.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Austin folks: Jimmy Johns is doing $1 subs at 3pm

God I love Jimmy Johns. God how I wish I lived in Austin sometimes.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Karl wrote:
    I fucking love Nando's.

You crazy kids get that in the states?
    Well they have it in Aus and it's easily my favourite fast food-type restaurant

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Peri-Peri chicken is.......so good.

I really should learn to make it at home.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    In Chicago, what I love for lunch is Chutney Joe's.

It's a fast food Indian place kinda like Panda Express or Chipotle.

They don't deep fry, use cream, or ghee so it's decently healthy. That probably also makes it not what some people are looking for when they want Indian food. But oh god I love it so much.

mcp on
  • Options
    Do the next best thing and just buy half a dozen of the sauce and keep them laying about your house. You'll be amazed what nando's sauce is good one.

Even more amazing is how you'll organise your meals at home around whether you can put nando's sauce on it or not

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Margarazzi wrote: »
    Austin folks: Jimmy Johns is doing $1 subs at 3pm

God I love Jimmy Johns. God how I wish I lived in Austin sometimes.

Those promos always sound great, until you show up and there's a hundred people in line and it ends up taking you an hour to get some "cheap" food. Is your time really that cheap people? Now, if you can actually get your food quickly then sure, but I suspect there'll be a huge line. People go crazy over cheap food.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure we have Nando's in DC.

But we all know Ben's Chili Bowl is the only way to go.

Except when the line is around the block.