As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's all go post in the new STEAM thread and talk about Tom Clancy ♥

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    The Witcher 2 is also most wanted among my friends, followed by New Vegas, Portal 2, Space Marine, and Skyrim in that order.

I am astonished there are so many people who want New Vegas and Portal 2 and still don't own it.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Pariel wrote:
    DOW2 is not an RTS at all, mostly.

No base building, just a limited amount of dudes, and loot.

It could almost be called a Diablo style game, it as far from an RTS RTS game you can get in the campaign. Unique levels, heavy on weapons and armor drops, an upgrade path for your guys based on stat points... also has a co-op mode

It's a strategy game and it's real time. Sounds like an RTS to me!

It's more like Neverwinter Nights/Dragon Age. Just less talking and more killing.

You're drawing a lot of artificial genre lines, dude. Like, people sometimes describe the combat system of Baldur's Gate as basically a scaled-down RTS game. Can you say BG1+2 is an RPG/RTS? I dunno, and I really don't care if people do either.

I mean, how would you describe something like World of Conflict, obstinately categorized as an "RTS" by most people, but eschews pretty much all the conventions of the genre other than "you control some units from an overhead view"?

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Alecthar wrote:
    xraydog wrote:
    Yes, if something doesn't work the first time it will never work ever at all forever.

Its annoying because it's shitty user experience.

I agree with both of these statements. It's silly to say you wasted your money because it's not working right away, but it IS a disgustingly lousy user experience which shows a total disregard for the customer.
    Uh, what?

Compared to basically any other DRM scheme Stardock's has a better user experience.

EA's system they shipped with Bad Company 2 was far better than any.

Install game.
    Finish Install.
    "Do you want to activate online so you never need the disk in?"
    Yes.
    Done. Play your game now.

No Origin account needed. Not waiting and watching progress meters. It was awesome. You literally hit 'Yes' to actuvate online, and it was done.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Heck, the latest patch of BC2 removed SecuROM completely from all versions. They should do that more often, as opposed to the whole "you're banned from your own game, singleplayer, multiplayer, and all, because you got banned from our forums" thing.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    The Witcher 2 is also most wanted among my friends, followed by New Vegas, Portal 2, Space Marine, and Skyrim in that order.

I am astonished there are so many people who want New Vegas and Portal 2 and still don't own it.

I think some folks are still waiting for the upcoming version of New Vegas that comes with all the DLC.

Then there are some folks who are waiting for that version to go on sale.

• Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    Hey everyone, a guy called Brood just added me to his friends list. Not sure who he is, anyone have any idea? I see they're a friend of @iolo any ideas?

Also, my friends stats, again mainly made up of PA chaps and chapettes:
    Skyrim: 771 Hours
    SR3: 212 Hours
    Killing Floor: 101 Hours
    Dungeon Defenders: 52 Hours

Me!

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Gaslight wrote:

Same.

The Witcher 2 was towards the top of my wish list for the longest time as well.

Then I saw this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-zUpGosgrE

and purchased it immediately.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Jungleskye wrote:
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    Hey everyone, a guy called Brood just added me to his friends list. Not sure who he is, anyone have any idea? I see they're a friend of @iolo any ideas?

Also, my friends stats, again mainly made up of PA chaps and chapettes:
    Skyrim: 771 Hours
    SR3: 212 Hours
    Killing Floor: 101 Hours
    Dungeon Defenders: 52 Hours

Me!

Aw, jeez! Sorry dude!

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Waiting for the GOTY version of Fallout NV is silly, because I've spent all of.. 19$ on the entire game so far and I have every DLC but Lonesome Road. It all goes on such ridiculous sales all the time, that it'll be a while before the GOTY version is anywhere near as cheap.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Waiting for the GOTY version of Fallout NV is silly, because I've spent all of.. 19$ on the entire game so far and I have every DLC but Lonesome Road. It all goes on such ridiculous sales all the time, that it'll be a while before the GOTY version is anywhere near as cheap.
    Ah, but the longer you wait, the more good mods come out and the better the existing mods get. I'm not even going to think about touching Skyrim for a few months at least. I played Oblivion right when it came out, and it was kind of fun, but a lot of the no brainer stuff (a UI that didn't suck, textures that didn't suck, leveling that didn't suck) got perfected later on and there was really no reason to put myself through grief when I could've waited. I bought Oblivion for cheap when it came out, but with Skryim I'll just wait until the price drops. With New Vegas it has been so long that I'm content to wait basically forever, especially considering I don't have much free time.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    After seeing the updated title I felt like I should post this. It was taken just now:

steamplayedtime.jpg

But as most of you know, you're almost all on my friends list. I have ~150 steam friends and 97% of those are PA guys. Still...impressive.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I like this friends list game:

Friend Avg -- 28.3 hrs past 2 weeks

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    3152.1 hrs (That's over 11 weeks!)

Saints Row: The Third
    782.3 hrs

Dungeon Defenders
    227.6 hrs

Team Fortress 2
    208.7 hrs

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    107.6 hrs

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    103.6 hrs

Lifetime

TF2: 31894 hours played
    Borderlands: 8837 hours played
    L4D2: 5469 hours played
    Fallout NV: 4073 hours played
    BF: BC2: 3980 hours played
    Mount & Blade: Warband: 3420 hours played
    L4D: 3335 hours played
    Terraria: 3320 hours played
    ME2: 3224 hours played
    Civ 5: 3186 hours played

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Pretty impressive that skyrim is almost at your friend's top 10 lifetime after only a bit more than a week

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Ha, good point. I just checked and it's up to 3177. With 18 friends playing right now it should crack the Top 10 in less than an hour.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm blind, but I do not see where to find these friend's stats. It sounds fun though!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    2 weeks
    Skyrim 371
    Saints Row The Third 73 hours
    Red Faction Guerilla 22 hours
    Saints Row 2 21 hours
    Dungeon Defenders 16 hours

Lifetime
    TF2 1750
    Saints Row 2 1176
    Borderlands 669
    Dragon Age 530
    Mass Effect 2 505
    Icemopper wrote:
    Maybe I'm blind, but I do not see where to find these friend's stats. It sounds fun though!

Here, I fixed a link up for you.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I couldn't think of a funny thread title so I just threw those stats in there, but this is pretty interesting seeing everyone's friends list game time comparisons. It also made me realize that at some point Steam added the lifetime playtime stats, which I had never seen before.

Icemopper: they're on the right hand side in the community section.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    You know what I'd honestly like to see? Steam lifetime stats. Like, across all games, all time.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Turns out I am partially blind to things on the right side of the screen.

It was right there! Thanks folks.

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Skyrim isn't even my friend lifetime activity top 40. Don't have that many friends that still log onto steam, though. Most were TFC and TF2 players that stopped playing once the game got terrible.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Hmm, my shocking lack (nay, Dearth!) of friends on Steam has rendered this whole game time comparison thing kinda pointless.

Thus, I propose an intricate and convoluted plot!

Would it be considered poor form for me to start friend-requesting people on this thread and from the PA group? I don't want to get in people's faces, but it would be super rad if I could get a better 'community' feel from my community page, y'know?

Thanks in advance!

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    well as long as you're not a huge dick, I wouldn't mind if you friended me. My PC gaming experience got a whole lot more enjoyable since I started adding some of the fine gentlemen who frequent this thread to my friends list

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    My friends' last two weeks:

Skyrim - 482 hours played
    Saints Row 3 - 41 hours played
    NBA 2K12 - 41 hours played
    Terraria - 38 hours played

Interestingly, NBA 2K12 and Terraria are only played by Bullio and Alecthar, respectively, as best I can tell. Those guys have commitment.

Also, number 7 on my lifetime list is City of Heroes with over 700 hours. All by one person.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Why else put a steam sig if not for people to friend you? Of course, its nice when I know the person is a PA'er, sometimes its hard to tell and its just a spam bot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular

Interestingly, NBA 2K12 and Terraria are only played by Bullio and Alecthar, respectively, as best I can tell. Those guys have commitment.

Also, number 7 on my lifetime list is City of Heroes with over 700 hours. All by one person.

120 hours lifetime and rising by 2-3 everyday. My Player is crack in basketball RPG form.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I've spent more time in Skyrim this week than I have at work.

I think I have a problem, but then again there are so many dragons to kill.

• Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    One of my friends has 76.7 hours in Skyrim already... That's pretty dedicated. He also works 2 jobs I think he's sacrificed sleep all week or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ParielPariel Registered User regular
    That's not the problem, that's the solution.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:

The problem is you have to go to goddamn work

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    So, this sale. When is this American Thanksgiving I hear so much about. This Thursday?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote:
    So, this sale. When is this American Thanksgiving I hear so much about. This Thursday?

It is, god help us all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ParielPariel Registered User regular
    Bahaha, yes.

Supposedly Steam sales the whole week? I could go for that.

• Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular

Yeah its super cheap. I am just waiting for the DLC's to go on sale then I will play through it since my 38+ hour save got all messed up.

• Options
    lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote:

120 hours lifetime and rising by 2-3 everyday. My Player is crack in basketball RPG form.

This is the truth. My Player mode is way more addicting than it has any right to be. $30 for a new game that has given me 69 hours of fun so far seems like a great deal

Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • Options
    Tef wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:

The problem is you have to go to goddamn work

Indeed, I could have just as easily spent eighty some odd hours in Skyrim instead!

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    This is the first time in a long time that I've not been paying attention to Steam sales at all. Skyrim has it's hooks in me something bad. I'm not even interested in this upcoming sale! Which is good, since I'm broke, unemployed and just bought Skyrim anyway... help me?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Motherfuck, when did Serious Sam 3 get dated for November?

Stop releasing games in November, I have too many already. There are only so many hours in a day, shit, only so many hours in the month.

• Options
    Oh, yeah, I need to buy BFE, I forgot about that. I haven't really bought anything but Skyrim, so I don't feel particularly bad about BFE.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Why else put a steam sig if not for people to friend you? Of course, its nice when I know the person is a PA'er, sometimes its hard to tell and its just a spam bot.
    Probably the only thing the steam group is actually good for

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote:

Yes, but the last 2 years the sales have started the day before, so a decent chance we'll see the sale hit on Wednesday. Should last through Tuesday morning.