As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's all go post in the new STEAM thread and talk about Tom Clancy ♥

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I'm just thankful I have Skyrim, so I don't need any other games ever

Or at least until December 25th thru January 3rd, depending on the prices

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I meant the same boat as you, Olivaw, but somehow I don't see myself being able to resist a good bargain.

It's not what you spend it's what you save!!!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    2 weeks
    Skyrim 371
    Saints Row The Third 73 hours
    Red Faction Guerilla 22 hours
    Saints Row 2 21 hours
    Dungeon Defenders 16 hours

Lifetime
    TF2 1750
    Saints Row 2 1176
    Borderlands 669
    Dragon Age 530
    Mass Effect 2 505
    Icemopper wrote:
    Maybe I'm blind, but I do not see where to find these friend's stats. It sounds fun though!

Here, I fixed a link up for you.

I was gonna ask if you were missing a zero on that TF2 number, but I see you just have a tiny friends list.

Most of my list comes from TF2, but I still think these numbers are ridiculous. TF2 is at 36,612 hours played, nearly eight times as much as Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer, which is in second place with 4,687 hours played. I blame idling.

I wonder how high Counter-Strike would be in these lists if these stats were from the beginning of Steam.

Also, I have Dota 2 in my top recent. I want beta too!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    so in my lifetime friend's most played list the 5th spot is a blank box with 1606 hours and one friend shown as playing it. clicking the blank grey box brings me to Everquest 2: Rise of Kunark.

I'm really confused by it... and also what appears to be 1600 hours from one friend.

• Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    Why else put a steam sig if not for people to friend you? Of course, its nice when I know the person is a PA'er, sometimes its hard to tell and its just a spam bot.
    Probably the only thing the steam group is actually good for

Speaking of which, would someone be kind enough to send me an invite?

• Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    Sent you one.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote:
    So when using the steam backup feature, does it only backup the steam folder, or when backing up a game does it also back up the saves that are saved in other folders like your documents?

It only backs up the game itself, not any of the save files. I don't think it even backs up the save files if they're located in the game folder.

Wow that's kind of a friggen bummer, and missing a rather large point of backing up the game. I can understand not copying saves other folders, but not copying saves in the folder itself? Yeesh..

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Does anyone know why Oblivion syncs with Steam after I quit it?

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:

It's syncing saved games with the steam cloud.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

Oblivion syncs with SteamCloud? Dont you typically get the option to choose whether to save to the cloud or save to the hard drive?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    Taranis wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

Oblivion syncs with SteamCloud? Dont you typically get the option to choose whether to save to the cloud or save to the hard drive?

No, you're thinking of when it notices a disparity between your cloud save and your hard drive save. Then it asks you if you want to use yoru HD save or the cloud save.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I disable Steam Cloud after reading the horror stories people have posted about their current local saves being overwritten by ancient cloud saves.

I only have one PC right now, so I don't need to worry about syncing between two systems, and if my current system ever goes down I'll have plenty of more important shit to worry about than savegames.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I disable Steam Cloud after reading the horror stories people have posted about their current local saves being overwritten by ancient cloud saves.

I only have one PC right now, so I don't need to worry about syncing between two systems, and if my current system ever goes down I'll have plenty of more important shit to worry about than savegames.

Lies and slander.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    No, as in OH FUCK MY PC JUST SHIT ITSELF not as in going outside the house bullshit

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Wow, my friends somehow have an average playtime of 22 days each in TF2. That just can't be right.

200 friends, with a lifetime total of 105191 hours.

You guys are awesome.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Icemopper wrote:
    Wow, my friends somehow have an average playtime of 22 days each in TF2. That just can't be right.

200 friends, with a lifetime total of 105191 hours.

You guys are awesome.

You've got to assume that much of that is from idling.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Definitely true. I'm sure that's mostly it.

On the other hand, since Skyrim has been out, my 50ish friends have averaged 2 days on it. That's also a significant amount of time considering it hasn't been out even two weeks yet.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Can someone give me an Idiots Guide to Steam offline? Does it work well? My wife is buying a new laptop on Black Friday that appears to be capable of running Sims 3 (her favorite series). I'd like to buy it for her digitally so she doesn't have to tote the game around just to play but there are 3 options to do that - Amazon, EAs thing, and Steam...I've only used Steam a little and never offline - can someone fill me in?

• Options
    Can someone give me an Idiots Guide to Steam offline? Does it work well? My wife is buying a new laptop on Black Friday that appears to be capable of running Sims 3 (her favorite series). I'd like to buy it for her digitally so she doesn't have to tote the game around just to play but there are 3 options to do that - Amazon, EAs thing, and Steam...I've only used Steam a little and never offline - can someone fill me in?

1. Make sure the game is fully updated by launching it once
    2. Select "go offline..."

Reportedly it works less reliable if you lose internet connection without having manually gone offline beforehand, but it works much more reliably than it did a couple of years ago.

• Options
    busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011

If you did what Peewi said, and it still doesn't work (when you're already without internet), try disabling all your network adapters in the Windows network settings before launching Steam

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote:

Reportedly it works less reliable if you lose internet connection without having manually gone offline beforehand, but it works much more reliably than it did a couple of years ago.

In my experience, none of the games work if you lose connection without manually going offline through Steam first. So unless you're psychic or do it all the time, it's a pretty worthless feature.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    In my experience, offline mode works fine if you go into it once you have a game installed. Which isn't like its difficult to do, nor should most normal people be installing/uninstalling things constantly. If you get disconnected though, you're better off turning off/disconnecting your network line as it acts up while trying to reconnect passively in the background.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Peewi wrote:

In my experience, none of the games work if you lose connection without manually going offline through Steam first. So unless you're psychic or do it all the time, it's a pretty worthless feature.

This has not been my experience.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Just happened to me last week. If you don't do "go offline" first before you lose your connection then you cannot start Steam. It will crash while trying to "update" and it doesnt' matter if your wifi is off or anything.

I doubt it's a bug.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Weird. I just tested this out and you guys are right. I'm almost certain that this wasn't an issue in the past.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    In fact it is not a bug:

From their support page:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555
    Important:

The Steam client application's files must be updated to allow for the use of Offline Mode. If your game's status is "100% - Ready" but you receive the message "This game cannot be started in Offline Mode" when attempting to play offline, the Steam client application's files need to be updated.

I think their idea of "offline" is that you are constantly connected to Steam, but they still expect you to be able to check their server for updates, which means you still must have an constant internet connection even if you are not constantly connected to Steam.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    As predicted, Skyrim cracked the Top 10 lifetime friends' most played last night.

TF2: 31896 hours played
    Borderlands: 8838 hours played
    L4D2: 5469 hours played
    Fallout NV: 4073 hours played
    BFBC2: 3980 hours played
    Mount & Blade Warband: 3420 hours played
    L4D: 3335 hours played
    Terraria: 3320 hours played
    Skyrim: 3262 hours played
    ME2: 3226 hours played

Not bad for being out for ten days. At this rate, it will easily be in the Top 5 by the time I'm sitting down to a plate of turkey and stuffing.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    Oh, and you have to let Steam remember your username/pass for it to work.

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    All these stats are excluding Civ V though, right? Because otherwise it would be really damn skewed.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote:
    All these stats are excluding Civ V though, right? Because otherwise it would be really damn skewed.

Civ V is what got knocked out of the Top 10. It's sitting at 11 w/ 3186 hours played.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Is there anyway to know what will be the daily deal tomorrow? I'm enjoying Anomaly: Warzone Earth, but only have limited game funds due to buying Skyrim, and would hate to think that there's something better tomorrow, although it probably won't be.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Anyone else hoping for a cheap Dead Island as part of a potential upcoming Steam sale?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The only thing I can imagine knocking TF2 out of the #1 position is DotA 2.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info folks - seems like maybe I should just buy here a physical copy...seems like a pain just to make sure it will run on an airplane.

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    The only thing I can imagine knocking TF2 out of the #1 position is DotA 2.

I dunno. It's definitely going to have a high average playtime, but it probably won't have people idling in it.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    Why else put a steam sig if not for people to friend you? Of course, its nice when I know the person is a PA'er, sometimes its hard to tell and its just a spam bot.
    Probably the only thing the steam group is actually good for

I generally go by a combination of being in one of the many PA groups (main is good, but at least one of the many many many many sub groups helps) and/or some mutual PA friends.
    Corpekata wrote:
    Figgy wrote:
    So, this sale. When is this American Thanksgiving I hear so much about. This Thursday?

Yes, but the last 2 years the sales have started the day before, so a decent chance we'll see the sale hit on Wednesday. Should last through Tuesday morning.

Yeah, I ran a quick Google search on this last week and as I recall last year's started on the Wednesday, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed we only have 2 days to wait. Well, that's not entirely true. If you want to be a real Steam sale pro, you ogle the early discounts, wait to see if the things you want go on super cheap as dailies, and then the last day is a whirlwind of grabbing everything you missed before it ends / during the possible second chance final day.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Trine 2 (two copies), Civ V (for the GF) and Duel of the Planeswalkers (also for the GF).

There are a couple of games on my wishlist sitting around $10-20 I could see myself getting if they hit $5/50% off or so, but mostly I'm hoping for good gifting rates. Some bundles like they did last year, maybe an event of some sort, etc.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Anyone taken a look at this Skydrift game? It looks like it could be a ton of fun for 10 bucks. Airplane racing, with a team deathmatch and deathmatch option as well, full multiplayer, and customizable skins for your planes? This sound fantastic. Graphics look pretty sharp too for the price.

Edit: Whatever, its 10 bucks. Bought.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Has anyone heard anything in regards to SkyDrift. It looks like it plays almost exactly like Dogfighter (which was decent if you like that kinda game), but except it's a racing first game. A "kart-racing" type game, at that. Still, at $9 I'm going to wishlist it. If it gets within impulse range I may have to jump on it.

Edit: Holy shit, Elim. That is freaky. Hah.

Decoy on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Forar wrote:
    Edit: Okay, I've tried Searching and I skimmed like 8 pages, but didn't notice immediately; wasn't there a post that had a "best of" list/package of Oblivion mods on hand?
    First page of the Elder Scrolls thread. :)

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/151615/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-here-there-be-dragons/p1

Dashui is a classy, classy gent.

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Decoy wrote:
    Has anyone heard anything in regards to SkyDrift. It looks like it plays almost exactly like Dogfighter (which was decent if you like that kinda game), but except it's a racing first game. A "kart-racing" type game, at that. Still, at $9 I'm going to wishlist it. If it gets within impulse range I may have to jump on it.

Edit: Holy shit, Elim. That is freaky. Hah.

Ha ha ha ha. Well I just bought it, installing now. I will let you know how it goes.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/