As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Skyrim's second update may bork the game! Be wary!

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Maddoc wrote:
    Jephery wrote:
    Has anyone encountered a Golden Saint? I don't remember seeing one.

I think Dremora are the highest class of Daedra around this time

I hope they're back for a DLC then, I liked those ladies. Mainly because they were my main source of grand souls in Morrowind, but still.

Oh, and if I could conjure one, the Dremora Lord and Golden Saint would be like boy friend/girl friend.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Talith wrote:
    It absolutely drives me crazy that speech is never high enough to successfully persuade anyone, yet the persuade perk is like 3 ranks deep and it levels so slowly.

Really ? I'm Persuasive as heck, and that's without taking any Speech perks. I probably have a Persuade success rate of 95%.

I am the 95% !

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    ToyD wrote:
    Sam wrote:
    beat the main quest. man, that was underwhelming.

I don't get this from everyone. I thought it was ok. What did you all want?

an ending...
    you destroyed the dictator of dragons thus proving your thum to said dragons and even earn a dragon servant. You didn't undo what aldiun did thus far, but you stopped him and were heralded by said dragons. I thought that was adequate, what did you all want? I thought it wrapped up better than fallout 3.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    did anyone else think Tsun had a 90s surfer dude accent?

• Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote:
    This cover of the Dragonborn Comes is pretty good

http://youtu.be/4z9TdDCWN7g

Edit: I don't know why I can't get this to embed properly

wow that is fantastic

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    ToyD wrote:
    ToyD wrote:
    Sam wrote:

an ending...
    you destroyed the dictator of dragons thus proving your thum to said dragons and even earn a dragon servant. You didn't undo what aldiun did thus far, but you stopped him and were heralded by said dragons. I thought that was adequate, what did you all want? I thought it wrapped up better than fallout 3.
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the story as the game progressed, but it's like it led up to this MASSIVE fight that even led you into the afterlife and the past and the final boss just flies around until you use your super boss power attack to force him to land and then smack him a few times. There wasn't any real difficulty in taking down the lord of dragons compared to the first dragon you kill in the game.

Furthermore, after it's done, there's no story or wrap up of what happened, at all. It's just, "now you're in the world... so be it"

At least with games like Fallout 3, New Vegas, or Mass Effect 2, when you finish the main quest, you get a story, some kind of epilogue, and the characters respond to what has happened.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ToyD wrote:
    ToyD wrote:
    Sam wrote:

an ending...
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the story as the game progressed, but it's like it led up to this MASSIVE fight that even led you into the afterlife and the past and the final boss just flies around until you use your super boss power attack to force him to land and then smack him a few times. There wasn't any real difficulty in taking down the lord of dragons compared to the first dragon you kill in the game.

Furthermore, after it's done, there's no story or wrap up of what happened, at all. It's just, "now you're in the world... so be it"

At least with games like Fallout 3, New Vegas, or Mass Effect 2, when you finish the main quest, you get a story, some kind of epilogue, and the characters respond to what has happened.
    I guess I looked at it as you took on the dragons own fight and went into the afterlife to finish it for them. They are very appreciative, bu as far as "the dragon menace" goes, every dragon alduin had raised is still alive again, so you didn't really help the folk of skyrim from their daily problems, just the big world ending threat they don't see. You also get a bit of epilogue from those who were directly affected by your slaying aldiun. I also liked how you could choose a deed from another quest to enter sovengarde. That, to me, was better than a quick note that you did it. That meant that I did any one of several deeds good enough to gain entry to sovengarde.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote:
    What has greater or grand souls? I want to go hunting to fill up some gems I have.
    This is the helpful answer.
    Dragon Priest
    Draugr Death Overlord
    Draugr Deathlord
    Falmer Shadowmaster
    Ghost
    Giant
    Mammoth
    Storm Atronach
    Wispmother

tldr - Sack some giant camps or high level barrows.

I need to find some high level barrows, because the giants just seem to be doing their thing, ya know?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    On the subject of trees that could use some help, do you guys put any points into lockpicking? I don't think I ever have, I just carry around 100+ lockpicks and trial and error my way through the locks.

I have some plus lockpicking gear that certainly helps now, but on my mage I didn't, and I still didn't have much trouble.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Yeah I just buy every lockpick I find now and work my way through any lock. If I come across a master lock early on I just do a save and reload if I burn through more than 20 picks

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    RedDawn wrote:
    On the subject of trees that could use some help, do you guys put any points into lockpicking? I don't think I ever have, I just carry around 100+ lockpicks and trial and error my way through the locks.

I have some plus lockpicking gear that certainly helps now, but on my mage I didn't, and I still didn't have much trouble.

I'm going halfway up lockpicking this time to see what kind of difference the +gold and +treasure perks make; see if they are worth it.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I didn't really notice anything different on the +tresure perk, but the +gold perk is amazing.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    ToyD wrote:
    ToyD wrote:
    Sam wrote:

an ending...

It sounds like, much like practically everyone else complaining that this or that is too easy, you were playing on a difficulty too low for you
    If Alduin lives longer than like ten seconds, he starts raining fucking fire and brimstone from the sky

• Options
    Maddoc wrote:
    ToyD wrote:
    ToyD wrote:
    Sam wrote:

an ending...

It sounds like, much like practically everyone else complaining that this or that is too easy, you were playing on a difficulty too low for you
    If Alduin lives longer than like ten seconds, he starts raining fucking fire and brimstone from the sky

Which, by the way, lasted well after his death and through the exposition. Argh.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote:
    Talith wrote:
    It absolutely drives me crazy that speech is never high enough to successfully persuade anyone, yet the persuade perk is like 3 ranks deep and it levels so slowly.

Really ? I'm Persuasive as heck, and that's without taking any Speech perks. I probably have a Persuade success rate of 95%.

I am the 95% !

Seriously? I've got 40 something speech and always wear that +15 speech amulet and the only time I have ever successfully persuaded anyone was that one guard that lets you into the city to speak to the Jarl so you can tell him there are dragons afoot.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote:
    Fairchild wrote:
    Talith wrote:

I am the 95% !

Seriously? I've got 40 something speech and always wear that +15 speech amulet and the only time I have ever successfully persuaded anyone was that one guard that lets you into the city to speak to the Jarl so you can tell him there are dragons afoot.

Try Intimidate.

If you really want something that breaks it open, there's a great amulet you get for finishing the Thieves' Guild. Basically makes Persuade auto-succeed.

• Options
    I have never once successfully Intimidated someone

Persuade has worked a few times, but never Intimidate, despite the fact that when Intimidate fails and negotiations break down it always results in the murder of the guy who failed to be intimidated by me

Every. Single. Time.

"Give me your gold!"
    "Hey, fuck off or I'll kill you"
    "Haha, nice tr-aaaaughdead"

• Options
    IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    So, I've decided to forgo the 1.2 patch, instead opting to play offline and roll up a new character. It's pretty hilarious how much you can exploit the beginnings of the game. I'll spoiler my tactics for my sneak-thief archer.
    First thing you want to do once you have a weapon is to start beating the shit out of the character you opted to follow - this will rank up one handed super fast, as they will not die and more importantly will not aggro. Once you reach the Bear's den (just before the exit to Skyrim proper), you can now work on your Sneaking skill. I got close enough to the Bear so that I could do Sneaking Criticals on the gent I was supposed to be following, this allowed me to rank up Sneak past 60 in 5 or so minutes. I could have kept going I'm sure, but I didnt want to be excessive. Just enough to leave the cave at level 12, with enough perks to get a great leg up on the beginning of the game (I did bump up the difficulty to Expert).

Next thing I did was complete the "love note" quest so that I could get the Elf as a companion. With him in tow, I could then freely train Archery up 5 times a level. You can keep training, then open trade and take your gold back from him. He's not a half bad companion either, but I do plan on dumping him soon.

All in all, pretty funny. I could see this becoming a method to try out different builds without a whole lot of effort early on.

Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • Options
    IDDQD wrote:
    So, I've decided to forgo the 1.2 patch, instead opting to play offline and roll up a new character. It's pretty hilarious how much you can exploit the beginnings of the game. I'll spoiler my tactics for my sneak-thief archer.
    First thing you want to do once you have a weapon is to start beating the shit out of the character you opted to follow - this will rank up one handed super fast, as they will not die and more importantly will not aggro. Once you reach the Bear's den (just before the exit to Skyrim proper), you can now work on your Sneaking skill. I got close enough to the Bear so that I could do Sneaking Criticals on the gent I was supposed to be following, this allowed me to rank up Sneak past 60 in 5 or so minutes. I could have kept going I'm sure, but I didnt want to be excessive. Just enough to leave the cave at level 12, with enough perks to get a great leg up on the beginning of the game (I did bump up the difficulty to Expert).

Next thing I did was complete the "love note" quest so that I could get the Elf as a companion. With him in tow, I could then freely train Archery up 5 times a level. You can keep training, then open trade and take your gold back from him. He's not a half bad companion either, but I do plan on dumping him soon.

All in all, pretty funny. I could see this becoming a method to try out different builds without a whole lot of effort early on.

On expert, you're going to be really surprised when you do some of the starting quests... a lot of wolves and skeevers get replaced with ice trolls and they lay down some damage.

I tried this your method, as well as the speech glitch from the gate, and I was lvl 22 starting out with 3 100 skills and I got my ass handed to me real quick like, so I decided to play legit.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    IDDQD wrote:

That's a pretty awesome system you got there.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    Alternate post: it's a videogame and it doesn't matter.
    While that answer is normally the easy out, it doesn't really work when it was specifically asked whether it's logical, not whether it matters.

causality.png
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    I just took 80 sneak, and didn't try to get bonus levels in anything else--it worked out great for me.

• Options
    This might be a silly question, but I'm curious if my assumption is correct. Do daggers take advantage of the Bladesman perk from the one-handed tree? I'm guessing no, since daggers are represented in the Sneaking tree (Assassin's Blade).

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Talith wrote:
    Fairchild wrote:
    Talith wrote:

I am the 95% !

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Never invested in the Speech tree, the skill itself is somewhere between 35 and 50-something, and I rarely fail to persuade anyone, even without the Speech amulet.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    IDDQD wrote:
    This might be a silly question, but I'm curious if my assumption is correct. Do daggers take advantage of the Bladesman perk from the one-handed tree? I'm guessing no, since daggers are represented in the Sneaking tree (Assassin's Blade).

You are correct, they do not.

• Options
    Daggers benefit from one handed damage bonuses and the x6 sneak attack damage bonus until you get x15 though.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Seguer wrote:
    There could be a merchant guild, and they carry the gold limit by agreement to that guilds standard. You doing business with them increases your standing with the guild, thus them giving you access to more of their coffers. So sure, makes perfect logical sense, considering everything else has a guild or similar.

That's... actually quite brilliant.

Merchant's Guild. Go do some quests for them where you protect caravans, or transport goods.. in return, guild members will trade more with you...

I'd play that mod!

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote:
    IDDQD wrote:

Daggers do, however, take advantage of pretty much everything down the center of the one-handed tree.

Protip: The sprinting power attack also works while doing the sneak-roll. And yes, it applies a sneak attack while doing so.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    So someone finally uploaded a mod that fixes Ebony blade to use the two handed skill instead of one handed

Also, it classifies it as Ebony for purposes of Smithing upgrading

Though, it still sort of acts like a one handed weapon in terms of swing speed, and base damage

I have to wonder if it was originally intended to be a one handed weapon (like it was in previous games), and they made a last minute switch to a two handed model and type literally without changing a single other thing in the weapon

Maybe a mod to make it into a one handed weapon, using a reskinned Blades sword or something for its model, wouldn't be better

• Options
    TACOnightmareTACOnightmare Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote:
    We should have acted.
    They're already here.
    The gaming threads told of their return.
    Their defeat was merely delay
    Til the time after Skyrim released,
    When the gamers of the internet would play their own campaigns.
    But no-one wanted to believe.
    Believe they even existed.
    And when the truth finally dawns,
    It dawns in Skyrim.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
    But, there's one they fear.
    In their tongue, they are Bethesda:
    Patch 1.21!

Bethesda Bethesda
    By their honor is sworn
    To keep errors forever at bay
    And the fiercest bugs rout
    When they hear update's out
    Bethesda for your blessing we pray

And the press releases have fortold
    Of broken patches on Steam
    That when player's games patch come unfurled
    Errors bane of gamers
    Ancient shadow unbound
    With a hunger to swallow the fun

I know i'm late, but what tune is this supposed to be sung to?

I found a woman running around the wild yelling, "wabbajack wabbajack wabbajack." Naturally, I killed her and defiled her corpse.

PSN: SmellyLemur
  • Options
    korodullin wrote:
    captaink wrote:
    IDDQD wrote:

Daggers do, however, take advantage of pretty much everything down the center of the one-handed tree.

Protip: The sprinting power attack also works while doing the sneak-roll. And yes, it applies a sneak attack while doing so.

OOhhh, that is great to know! I imagine the sneak-roll is much more easily controlled than a standard rushing-attack.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Suriko wrote:
    We should have acted.
    They're already here.
    The gaming threads told of their return.
    Their defeat was merely delay
    Til the time after Skyrim released,
    When the gamers of the internet would play their own campaigns.
    But no-one wanted to believe.
    Believe they even existed.
    And when the truth finally dawns,
    It dawns in Skyrim.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
    But, there's one they fear.
    In their tongue, they are Bethesda:
    Patch 1.21!

Bethesda Bethesda
    By their honor is sworn
    To keep errors forever at bay
    And the fiercest bugs rout
    When they hear update's out
    Bethesda for your blessing we pray

And the press releases have fortold
    Of broken patches on Steam
    That when player's games patch come unfurled
    Errors bane of gamers
    Ancient shadow unbound
    With a hunger to swallow the fun

I know i'm late, but what tune is this supposed to be sung to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjqsYzBrP-M

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    IDDQD wrote:
    korodullin wrote:
    captaink wrote:
    IDDQD wrote:

OOhhh, that is great to know! I imagine the sneak-roll is much more easily controlled than a standard rushing-attack.

Somewhat. Sneak-rolling is fairly fast, and the timing and distance can be awkward to get down at first, but once you do, you can pull off some incredible kill chains. I've followed behind two mooks who were side by side, sneak-roll-power-attacked one and slit the second guy's throat before the first guy hit the floor.

Maddoc wrote:
    So someone finally uploaded a mod that fixes Ebony blade to use the two handed skill instead of one handed

Also, it classifies it as Ebony for purposes of Smithing upgrading

Though, it still sort of acts like a one handed weapon in terms of swing speed, and base damage

I have to wonder if it was originally intended to be a one handed weapon (like it was in previous games), and they made a last minute switch to a two handed model and type literally without changing a single other thing in the weapon

Maybe a mod to make it into a one handed weapon, using a reskinned Blades sword or something for its model, wouldn't be better

I imagine the Ebony Blade was switched to two-handed to avoid the same problem Oblivion had where there weren't really any other artifact-level two-handed weapons outside of Volendrung, since none of the other usual suspects (Chrysamere, Ice Blade of the Monarch, Umbra) are in the game.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Grah, I just want to play my Imperial jack of all trades this weekend!

Curse you xbox360 patch! I don't want to even load the save and risk borking it for when they patch the patch.

Looks like I'll screw around in DA2 for a bit. You happy now Bethesda? You pushed me into the arms of another!

Elixir on
    ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

• Options
    What is the best use of sneak roll? As in, gameplay wise, what benefits does it grant you and what does it allow you to pull off that you would otherwise be unable to do by walking up to someone?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Talith wrote:
    What is the best use of sneak roll? As in, gameplay wise, what benefits does it grant you and what does it allow you to pull off that you would otherwise be unable to do by walking up to someone?

It's silent and it's extremely fast. If your stealth is good enough and you have a Muffle effect active, you can actually get up and run non-sneak-mode behind someone as long as you're out of their LOS. But sneak rolling gets you somewhere quickly while keeping you in sneak mode. It also helps you duck behind obstacles very fast to avoid being seen. It's saved my hide a lot.

It also helps stealth archers. You can fire off a shot and quickly roll to another position instead of slowly duck-walking there and potentially being spotted by people investigating where a shot came from.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    I just realized something. I don't think the dragons have a walk animation. Has anyone see a dragon walk across the ground? I'm still dieing for the first, "play as a dragon" mod and hope there's a way to, you know, walk.

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Yes, they walk.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Would YOU walk on the dirty ground if you had awesome wings?

I didn't think so.

but yeah, they do, they just don't do it very often.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Just fought Krosis with the no resistance bug. Man, that was frustrating. I was able to kinda heal my way through a lot of his damage, and when my mana or health ran too low I took cover and drank a couple pots. I would have preferred just raising my shield and taking it like a breton though. I miss eating magic for breakfast.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
This discussion has been closed.