As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We don't actually build or mine anymore, we just play with cats all day. Minecraft!

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    K'laamas wrote: »
    Yeah, 2x2 saplings & bone meal will give you a *huge* jungle tree in any biome (planted on dirt, of course). Best way to get *tons* of wood super-quick.

I did this to farm my way to get a metric shit ton of wood in the jungle. Also ended with more jungle saplings than i began with

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    That's looking really pretty, CRT.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    I also wish boats were tougher/ less frail and bigger and I could build one.

• Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    Man, slow day in here today.

Anyway, the woolhalla line has passed the halfway point of it's ocean passage.

tlMJp.jpg

Seal of approval!

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    McMastaMcMasta ProvoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You are in a run-down tavern. A menu is nailed to a wooden post. Shifty-eyed patrons sit around low wooden tables. There is an open birch door leading south and a closed pine door leading west. A continuous drumming noise sounds from above.
    Obvious directions are:
    north, south.

A dark stranger.
    A mercenary.
    >
    A dark stranger whispers:
    So you fancy yourself an expert miner eh?
    >
    Y/N
    >
    {y}
    >
    You reply, Yes.
    >
    A dark stranger tells you: Well, we'll see about that.
    >
    A dark stranger gives you a rolled parchment.
    >
    The mercenary orders another drink.
    >
    {i}
    >
    You are carrying:
    Rolled parchment
    Diamond pickaxe (unbreaking II efficiency I)
    Bread x 24
    Arrow x 64
    Arrow x 38
    Bow (power I)
    Diamond Shovel (unbreaking I)
    Dirt x 64
    Dirt x 64
    Dirt x 53
    >
    {read parchment}
    >
    You read the parchment. It reads:
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
    Miners of Newluf be prepared to enter test your skills in the next mining competition! The rules are simple, the task is a measure of your skill and resourcefulness! Starting with nothing, the first Miner to successfully mine and bring back a 5 diamonds to the starting chest WINS!
    Prizes to be given out to the top 3 finishers!

1st place: 1 diamond block, 1 lvl 50 enchanted diamond pick, 1 lvl 50 enchanted shovel.

2nd place: 1 lvl 50 enchanted diamond pickaxe, 1 lvl 50 enchanted diamond shovel.

3rd place: 1 diamond pickaxe, 1 diamond shovel.

Participants keep all resources mined during the event
    >
    You feel a desire to punch a tree.
    >

McMasta on
  • Options
    SquigieSquigie Registered User regular
    I had a strange death last night, just after logging on. I was in a boat, travelling towards the shore at full speed, intending to scuttle. Just before landing I died, from a fall according to the death announcement. When I returned to gather my things I found the boat, intact, a few meters from shore.

Good news, everyone! Cats can be brought to Ispawnbul by teleport, as long as someone is in the beach town to keep the chunks loaded.

Not so good news. Jungle saplings have half the drop rate of other saplings, making traditional farming impossible. The only way to turn a profit is to farm giant trees.

Warning: the preceding post may be more sarcastic than it appears. Proceed at own risk. Individual results may vary. Offers not valid in Canada or where prohibited by fraud statutes.
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Squigie wrote: »

Not so good news. Jungle saplings have half the drop rate of other saplings, making traditional farming impossible. The only way to turn a profit is to farm giant trees.

Untrue, I'm doing just fine with little trees. Sapling count doesn't go up quickly, but it goes up.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Announcing the Spider XP farm 9000!

Located at the end of scenic East Line, the Spider XP farm 9000 provides unbeatable grinding rates using patented triple spider spawning technology! Reach level 50 in under 1 hour! Save effort by purchasing splash damage potions for only 4 iron ingots each! And best of all it's 100% FREE!* Just take the rail to /st spiderXP and start enchanting your way to the top TODAY!

2012-04-07_135953.png

So I built this triple grinder for personal use, but decided that since I am actually not around for most of the day ,other people might as well take advantage of it. It's about a 5 minute rail trip from spawn and it has great rates. Due to current server lag issues you are required to check the server ticks before using it by typing /nl. If the number if >16, grind away! You may want to check the ticks a few times because they can fluctuate wildly, especially if someone has just logged on and the server is loading the chunks for that person. To grind, press a button for 5, 10, or 15 minutes and it will run for that amount of time. Then you hit the crush button and (once it finishes suffocating them to a 1/2 heart) punch the spiders to death, no sword required!. Splash damage potions are available for purchase for 4 iron bars each- throw one once you've crushed the spiders to kill them all instantly. It should take 3 15 minute settings to go from level 0 to level 50. There is also a free melon farm so you don't starve to death from the hard work of punching hundreds and hundreds of spiders. I put a bed a chest in because I was once killed by an enderman and lost all my stuff while AFK. It hasn't happened since, but you should store your stuff and sleep if you want to be careful.

* I am accepting donations for the use of this grinder, because I put a fair amount of my own material into it and because it means I can't use it at the same time. I like gold, iron, diamonds, lapis, or just about anything else, if you feel like tossing some in the donation chest. No pressure, though!

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Creaster Chicken has visited Ispawnbul!

Here's the deal:
    • hidden throughout the town of Ispawnbul are dispensers sitting on top of pink or cyan wool blocks. The wool blocks bear a sign saying "CLUCK!" on the top line. (If you find one that doesn't match all these conditions, it's someone's stuff not attached to this event, so leave it alone.)
    • The dispenser may contain sweets, prizes, useless trinkets, and silly fun things! If you find a dispenser, you may take ONE item from it. Not one stack, one item. (This is so even people who are late to the party will still get fun things!) Pick up the stack, right click to drop one in a slot, put the stack back, take your single item.
    • The dispenser may even contain a rare Magic Chicken Spawning Egg. This is no ordinary egg! You may only take ONE Magic Chicken Spawning Egg total from all dispensers. If you end up taking more than one magic egg, we will beat you. Spread the fun around!
    • What is a Magic Chicken Spawning Egg good for, you ask? Well, if you find one, you can go deposit it in the Magic Egg Fun Time Luck chest! The chest is under the giant chicken at the festival grounds just outside the Ispawnbul Trade Quarter. Put the egg in the chest and you'll be entered (due to the magic of chest block logging) into a drawing for a chance at fabulous prizes. Everyone who surrenders their egg will receive a random prize from a list including, but not limited to:
      • piles of rare resource blocks!
      • enchanted tools or armor!
      • a chance to fly with the admins!
      • silly things!
      • a chance to kill Twixxo! (Note: I haven't actually asked Twixxo about this.)

• Options
    FerretFerret Registered User regular
    Is there a possibility of the winner getting to Fly while killing Twixxo?

Remember 12/21/2012 when the doctor saved us all once again.
  • Options
    HaleskarthHaleskarth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Is something up with the server? Everything says its up but no one is connected and I certainly can't connect. edit;nevermind got in.

-.- I accidentally used my magic egg on the door of the expedition planning building on my way to put it in the box. I took another, but if thats not cool then just exempt me.

Haleskarth on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    So I haven't played on the server in ages. What's going on these days? Also, did the IP and/o

• Options
    TwixxoTwixxo the Lovebot Registered User regular
    Ferret wrote: »

Fools, you cannot slay a lovebot!

TNBNcdc.gif
  • Options
    JpsCrazyJpsCrazy Registered User regular
    Twixxo wrote: »
    Ferret wrote: »

Fools, you cannot slay a lovebot!

It's true - I've tried. ╥_╥

• Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    I am missing all the fun! Time to read up on the last 7 days.

Happy Easter! Cluck.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I'm going to sound like a jerk for saying this, but I don't care. I'm making this public.

I'm looking at the dynamap and seeing where one person (or maybe several people acting individually) have been going off on their own on several thousand block journeys to nowhere, leaving trails of explored area surrounded by blackness. Some of you may say this is perfectly fine, except:
    1) Whenever you create new chunks you create a huge amount of lag. This also makes the dynamap take forever to update.
    2) File space and server resources aren't free. We're already spending a lot to maintain what we have and that just makes it harder to do what we can with our resources.
    3) Just like the drama last time, most of the time when someone goes off into the middle of nowhere, nothing gets built. This isn't like Ocelotl where everybody wanted jungle stuff and so we had to explore to do it, and then many group and individual projects resulted and we got kitties. A lot of area gets generated, and maybe a few torches are laid down, and that's it. Lots of places that will end up having ugly borders next update if anybody ever goes there. Also, this means if we DO get more new content in the future, we'll have to go even further out to find it.
    4) We already have a huge map. In fact, we have three accessible maps. There is lots of area to build already, including very isolated areas. If you really have to be a hermit, you can still do it without causing problems #1 and #2.
    - For this matter, WHY are you playing on a multiplayer server if you don't intend to have anything to do with anybody else? There is an entire mode, single player, where you can be a hermit and do whatever you like and explore all you want and you don't eat anybody else's bandwidth.

I am not saying I don't mind the map getting bigger. It will inevitably do so, and it's fine if it's in an organic manner, someone pushing out a bit or determining the shorelines or needing privacy for time to build a supermegaawesome project like Psyck0's grinder or Frostheim or whatever. I just don't see the point of making all these worms sticking out of THIS map. You can generate plenty of terrain on your own maps. That's why they are there. Sure, maybe you can't drag other people to see these places, but if they're far enough out, nobody's going to go there anywhere so nobody will see it. Same with people being hermits way out in the middle of nowhere: you may end up making something cool, but then no one will see it. You might as well have built it in single player for all that did.

There. I have laid it all out. For some people, multiplayer may not be for them. I again propose that those pointless and resource-hogging wormy map areas be expunged if possible and that people be discouraged from doing more.

Before anyone starts getting needlessly offended, I am referring to this kind of crap:

Wormmap.png

What is the point of that? What is the point of using someone else's resources to putter around in a boat to go nowhere and do nothing? You can do that on your own.

This all being said, if whoever did that ended up donating like $200 or something to the server, then it's probably a moot point because they paid for those resources.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Maya, people gonna play how people gonna play. Other than making the map file a tiny bit larger, it doesn't cost the server anything. If someone wants to be a hermit with a chat channel, or spend hours and hours of game time poking around and enjoying the views, more power to them.

We're all exploding purple vagabond cows with hats.

introp on
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    maya, it's unfortunate that this playstyle seems to royally piss you off, but it is no less valid a way to participate than your own.

if we knew someone was deliberately griefing through loading chunks, we might reinstate a boundary mod, as when the server was not so robust. but as introp points out, at this point, it is a good machine -- if someone were trying to fuck with it, it becomes very obvious, and they'd get booted for being a dick; there is a system in place for people who are, again, deliberately trying to upset people.

exploring just to see what is there is not being a dick, despite how you feel.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    HambrabaiHambrabai Registered User regular
    I tend to find it annoying when people do that because they never tend to explore more then their tiny little paths, which can make it really great if you want to go and try to discover some neat biome (like a jungle) only to discover some goober has criss-crossed the far edges of the world and you end up searching forever and constantly crossing these little swept areas. Heck there are some of those pathways that are nearly 12,000 blocks long and partially discover the edges of countless islands. I know it can be a mountain of fun to wander out and explore but it seems weird to go all the way out there and not even explore the islands or continents you discover.

• Options
    dargondarkfiredargondarkfire wyomingRegistered User regular
    that is a lot of ocean.....,

• Options
    Apart from the really annoying impact chunk gen has on ticks, the amount of storage the new chunks take up space-wise is trivial and there's no real impact other than that. I have just looked at our overall storage space and even without removing the obsolete mcr files the map's still under 3 gigs so I'm not worried.

I do need to finish pruning the old logging database though. That's on another server with a lot less space. Also you people do lots of stuff with blocks.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    TwixxoTwixxo the Lovebot Registered User regular
    Some Minecraft related photos I took at PAX East!

55227028049770087641388.jpg

54155828056998668351388.jpg

55520828051026919061388.jpg

TNBNcdc.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    oh man that enderman cosplay owns

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This redstone brought to you by "Butt Pickles, pickles for your butt"
    Buttons make your door open for all of 0.2 seconds.
    Make it stay open until you press the button again.

This should be easily followed via images, but i'll explain it if need be.
    WeX5G.jpg
    the highest piece of redstone dust is placed directly below the button block
    TfvdE.jpg
    R7eg9.jpg
    4SWdI.jpg

BAM! done your door should open and stay open when you press the button and close when you press it again.
    There is however a slight delay between button press and door opening/closing
    Should you wish to fix that, alter your setup to resemble this.
    kwYWB.jpg

For those of you who care. The button fires the redstone but the pistons won't switch until after the signal goes off, using the torch there turns the signal off faster and so the pistons switch faster.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    introp wrote: »

Here's the deal:
    • hidden throughout the town of Ispawnbul are dispensers sitting on top of pink or cyan wool blocks. The wool blocks bear a sign saying "CLUCK!" on the top line. (If you find one that doesn't match all these conditions, it's someone's stuff not attached to this event, so leave it alone.)
    • The dispenser may contain sweets, prizes, useless trinkets, and silly fun things! If you find a dispenser, you may take ONE item from it. Not one stack, one item. (This is so even people who are late to the party will still get fun things!) Pick up the stack, right click to drop one in a slot, put the stack back, take your single item.
    • The dispenser may even contain a rare Magic Chicken Spawning Egg. This is no ordinary egg! You may only take ONE Magic Chicken Spawning Egg total from all dispensers. If you end up taking more than one magic egg, we will beat you. Spread the fun around!
    • What is a Magic Chicken Spawning Egg good for, you ask? Well, if you find one, you can go deposit it in the Magic Egg Fun Time Luck chest! The chest is under the giant chicken at the festival grounds just outside the Ispawnbul Trade Quarter. Put the egg in the chest and you'll be entered (due to the magic of chest block logging) into a drawing for a chance at fabulous prizes. Everyone who surrenders their egg will receive a random prize from a list including, but not limited to:
      • silly things!

Deposited my egg. Woo!

• Options
    HaleskarthHaleskarth Registered User regular
    Obviously Christopher Columbus is the culprit and he doesn't understand that our world map is flat. Cut him some slack.

Actually it was me. In some of those cases. I don't care for the rest of what I feel is your needless level of aggression. *shrug*

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    This all being said, if whoever did that ended up donating like $200 or something to the server, then it's probably a moot point because they paid for those resources.

no. i just realized something that was bothering me about this post; ignoring everything else, this is simply incorrect.

anyone who donates to maintaining the server is not paying for it -- it does not guarantee them anything but satisfaction in helping out with the costs. it does not save them from an earned ban or grant them extra privileges on the server, no matter how little or much they donate. you can get a skin if you donate and ask nicely, but that obviously does not affect gameplay.

it is certainly appreciated -- by myself, as a citizen of the server, and by those doing the heavy lifting on maintaining it through finances and diligent attentions (mainly ultima and nuka, there, though others have certainly stepped up.) i think everyone can agree that it is a Nice Thing when people are able to help out.

but someone who simply chooses to play with us -- whether they can or cannot, will or will not donate -- has just as much of a 'right' to play as they like, within the basic rule we've set down. a donation is not a share in the corporation, or rent, but a gesture of camaraderie.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    ChokeOnGlitterChokeOnGlitter Amazing San DiegoRegistered User regular
    :D I agree
    pooka wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »

no. i just realized something that was bothering me about this post; ignoring everything else, this is simply incorrect.

anyone who donates to maintaining the server is not paying for it -- it does not guarantee them anything but satisfaction in helping out with the costs. it does not save them from an earned ban or grant them extra privileges on the server, no matter how little or much they donate. you can get a skin if you donate and ask nicely, but that obviously does not affect gameplay.

it is certainly appreciated -- by myself, as a citizen of the server, and by those doing the heavy lifting on maintaining it through finances and diligent attentions (mainly ultima and nuka, there, though others have certainly stepped up.) i think everyone can agree that it is a Nice Thing when people are able to help out.

but someone who simply chooses to play with us -- whether they can or cannot, will or will not donate -- has just as much of a 'right' to play as they like, within the basic rule we've set down. a donation is not a share in the corporation, or rent, but a gesture of camaraderie.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Everyone who actually deals with the technical issues has weighed in. If you guys wanna keep belaboring the point, by all means, but the rest of us are moving on.

E: I should clarify: everyone who actually deals with the technical issues and who didn't look at this conversation and determine it was a complete non-issue prior to walking away has weighed in.

The Good Doctor Tran on
  • Options
    ChokeOnGlitterChokeOnGlitter Amazing San DiegoRegistered User regular
    introp wrote: »

Here's the deal:
      • silly things!

Lovie and I have !~

• Options
    Apart from the really annoying impact chunk gen has on ticks, the amount of storage the new chunks take up space-wise is trivial and there's no real impact other than that. I have just looked at our overall storage space and even without removing the obsolete mcr files the map's still under 3 gigs so I'm not worried.

Righty-o.

People should still think about donating a little if they can.

• Options
    Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The project I am currently working on (still don't have a good name for it) is finished with primary construction. I still need to expand the production area, but that should is relatively simple now.

On the beach, next to the road to Ocelotl, is a stone face (many thanks to Sopapaya for designing and building it). Nearby is a sacrificial pit for people to make offerings (thanks again to Sopapaya for getting the circuitry right - my brain was trying to do it all backwards).

Petition the gods to fulfill your wishes, toss in an item to sacrifice, and the gods will drop gifts out the mouth of the stone face (please be patient, it can take a minute or two for all the blessings to reach the mortal world) Be sure to wait for any previous offerings in the pit to be claimed by the gods (that is, despawn) before making another offering or the gods will ignore it.

Should you receive any undesired gifts, there is a chest nearby to donate them (or any other items) back to the gods, to be granted to future petitioners. You may also wish to reflect upon your life's choices and whatever you did to displease the gods.

Bloody Jack on
  • Options
    doktorjakedoktorjake Registered User regular
    McMasta wrote: »
    Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
    Miners of Newluf be prepared to enter test your skills in the next mining competition! The rules are simple, the task is a measure of your skill and resourcefulness! Starting with nothing, the first Miner to successfully mine and bring back a 5 diamonds to the starting chest WINS!

1st place: 1 diamond block, 1 lvl 50 enchanted diamond pick, 1 lvl 50 enchanted shovel.

2nd place: 1 lvl 50 enchanted diamond pickaxe, 1 lvl 50 enchanted diamond shovel.

This event is going to happen, we just have to pick a date where a majority of interested people can log on to participate!

We were thinking this coming Thursday (Apr. 12) evening (8PM EST).

Who all is interested?
    Who would be able to come at this time?
    Who wants free gear + whatever you end up mining anyway??

=D

• Options
    Cathode Ray TubeCathode Ray Tube Registered User regular
    I would give it a try.

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    I am finally back from PAX East, had a blast and got to meet @defster and @Twixxo and get my yearly fill of lovebot.

As always after pax east I think about prime and want to go, but in the past its been too expensive. It likely will be this year as well, but I always look into it and was wondering if anyone needed another person for a shared hotel room or something like that? I wouldn't be able to guarantee anything but it would let me get a better look at how much it would cost me to go.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    JpsCrazyJpsCrazy Registered User regular
    doktorjake wrote: »
    McMasta wrote: »
    Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

This event is going to happen, we just have to pick a date where a majority of interested people can log on to participate!

We were thinking this coming Thursday (Apr. 12) evening (8PM EST).

Who all is interested?
    Who would be able to come at this time?
    Who wants free gear + whatever you end up mining anyway??

=D

I'm definitely going to be there.

Also: Is anyone allowed to kill Twixxo as a random prize for the eggs? :D

• Options
    Where would the mining location be located on the server? It'd need to be somewhere that hasn't been shaft-mined apart already.

And when are the egg prizes being drawn? Also, could we trade prizes with other people? I wouldn't want to kill Twixxo if I won the chance, but I would like stacks and stacks of jungle saplings.

Speaking of, I would like to buy jungle saplings off people willing to sell, although I haven't thought of a good price yet.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular

Shit, if that was me, I'd freeze and stare down everyone with a camera pointed at me.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    I'm giving people about a week total to go collect eggs and things, for those folks who are can't play every day.

• Options
    Cathode Ray TubeCathode Ray Tube Registered User regular

Shit, if that was me, I'd freeze and stare down everyone with a camera pointed at me.

I'm disappointed he's not holding a cube of convention center.

This discussion has been closed.