As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We don't actually build or mine anymore, we just play with cats all day. Minecraft!

• Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    lookit me ma, I'm babbysittin a buncha shitfaced babymen in here!

Carrington Seal of Approval. I'm going to bed.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    OH LET'S TURN THE ONLY ENTRANCE INTO A BOXING GLOVE SHAPED LOUNGE

• Options
    JpsCrazyJpsCrazy Registered User regular
    lookit me ma, I'm babbysittin a buncha shitfaced babymen in here!

HEY. I WAS ONLY A LITTLE DRUNK.
    ...and really, really stupid.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    god damnit

I have fallen deep down the Minecraft hole

found a cave in a small hill overlooking a long waterfall, set up my place there, blocked it up

started digging down, finally broke out at the cliff face behind the waterfall

built stairs down to the flooded ravine, found a cave, walked in

BAM, an abandoned mine with tons of lava and underground water and chests

and now I've built my first diamond sword and pick and I have set up a portal beneath my place and I am going to explore the Nether

fucking Minecraft

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    god damnit

I have fallen deep down the Minecraft hole

found a cave in a small hill overlooking a long waterfall, set up my place there, blocked it up

started digging down, finally broke out at the cliff face behind the waterfall

built stairs down to the flooded ravine, found a cave, walked in

BAM, an abandoned mine with tons of lava and underground water and chests

and now I've built my first diamond sword and pick and I have set up a portal beneath my place and I am going to explore the Nether

fucking Minecraft

And then the Creepers come in the night, and your joy turns to ash in your mouth.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    nah they haven't been a real problem so far, I just surrounded my place with torches so creepers don't spawn nearby

when I get bored with the mine I'll build proper walls and place blocks of wood for them and stuff

and I have just started reading the wiki and oh man, Strongholds? gotta find me an Ender Eye

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ChokeOnGlitterChokeOnGlitter Amazing San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    hm well last night was amazing. Drunk town Pt. 1 was an epic hit if I do say so myself.
    THough i'm hung over as heck.... and I can't really remembered the second half of the night all that well. :O

Which is always a good sign.

:D
    Can't wait for pt. 2

ChokeOnGlitter on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    MY CAR!

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    lolol.gif
    lol wut?

I don't think that ws there yesterday...or am I crazy?[/quote]

That's the Hunter's Guild.
    It was built Saturday.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

So I'm curious, what are you guys general priority for building things?

I'm pretty new to the game, and the biome i started in has been a little annoying to do a whole lot of outside exploration (its this jungle swamp kinda mix so its hard to tell where ive been already). I found a nearby valley that had a lava stream and a water stream near each other and after some power digging down to bedrock, i got enough diamonds to make a pick and two pieces of armor so far. Then i started getting some obsidian blocks. made a nether portal but dont expect im ready for anything in it yet.

When you get your first diamonds/obsidian, what do you make first?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ThrakeshThrakesh Registered User regular
    Tools usually - get them enchanted. Use the Callahan grinder if you feel like it - if you get lucky and get unbreaking, you will be set.

Most usually wear iron armour, as diamonds are too costly, and not that much more durable than iron.

• Options
    Thrakesh wrote: »
    Most usually wear iron armour, as diamonds are too costly, and not that much more durable than iron.

o_O

Material Helmet Chestplate Leggings Boots
    Leather 56 81 76 66
    Gold 78 113 106 92
    Chainmail/Iron 166 241 226 196
    Diamond 364 529 496 430

(stupid badly pasting tables. you get the point.)

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    The cost to value threshold for diamond gear is too high to make Diamond gear long term viable, especially with the prevalence of lava at invasion events and in the mines. Most times when you die in any event that would warrant more than iron, you wont be getting that diamond gear back.

For dungeneering and general mining, iron is the order of the day I'd say. Gives you plenty of protection and is cheap and easy to produce.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    So I'm curious, what are you guys general priority for building things?

I'm pretty new to the game, and the biome i started in has been a little annoying to do a whole lot of outside exploration (its this jungle swamp kinda mix so its hard to tell where ive been already). I found a nearby valley that had a lava stream and a water stream near each other and after some power digging down to bedrock, i got enough diamonds to make a pick and two pieces of armor so far. Then i started getting some obsidian blocks. made a nether portal but dont expect im ready for anything in it yet.

When you get your first diamonds/obsidian, what do you make first?

Well, I'm primarily about efficiency rather than looks. So, first things first, diamond pick. And then another. And another. (As I need them of course.) And after I've saved up some diamonds I make a diamond sword. And then my own enchantment table. Then, a diamond shovel, possible a diamond axe if I need a bit of wood. Finally, if I have over a stack I just make a set of armor. Like enc, I find diamond armor not worthwhile due to unforeseen deaths, such as terrible falls and lava. Iron armor lasts quite some time, and is much easier to get.
    As for obsidian, I usually get it only as I need it or blast protection. Nether portal if you're not near a public one.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    hey, sometimes you want to bring out the noise when dealing with a monster problem

you bring that armor out for intimidation

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Now this is what real warriors wear into battle.

• Options
    The server is dying. Minute long lag spikes in chat and block breaking, tics all over the place. No one is in a grinder either.
    When folks log in it gets worse.

Just a heads up.

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Sorry for not being around for a bit, was super busy this weekend so couldn't do the Ispawnbul stuff, will get it done this week.

If anyone has any suggestions for places to go and check out, let me know in this thread or PM with a station name or coordinates so I know where the hell to go. Also the name of the builder would be great too.

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    The server is dying. Minute long lag spikes in chat and block breaking, tics all over the place. No one is in a grinder either.
    When folks log in it gets worse.

Just a heads up.

It seems one of our plugins has a memory leak which is causing the issues. The leak is slow and it will likely take several days to get that bad again. When it does get bad, confirm that its not just you then either PM me or post on the forums and we will do a restart.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I just want to remind people why we have the "friends get banned too" rule.

This game is special because of how much worse griefing is here. It's not like other games where you're shooting people and some jerk decides to ruin your day by hunting you down or spawn-camping. If someone here wants to be a jerk, then you just lost hours, days or even weeks of work. This increased magnitude of griefing means that we have to be harsher when it comes to rules and such so we can protect your work.

We keep documentation on who we whitelist and why. We know what admin did it, and if that user was vouched by someone. Why is vouching important? It's because we don't know you very well and we know your friend/family member even less. We have to trust you when you say he/she is a good person. The "friends get banned too" is therefore insurance. You don't want to be banned, so when you ask us to whitelist your friend you have to give a little more thought into it. "Is my friend kind of a jerk? Maybe I shouldn't invite him." It's not like we don't consider that mental question to be asked, but we want it to have more weight.

We don't like to ban the voucher, and we usually quite like him/her so it's always a hard decision. We feel obligated to enforce the rule though, otherwise it's meaningless. This rule has been in place for as long as I have been in charge, and it's I who came up with it. Yes, it is draconian, but I haven't come up with a better rule and neither have the rest of the admins. You guys make this server, so if you have an issue with a certain rule, tell us and tell us what you think we can do to improve it. Just telling us you dislike it doesn't really help us. If we thought up a better rule then we would have put it in anyways, so give us ideas.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Nope. That rule is pretty much perfect.

• Options
    SopaSopa Yes I am a dinosaur, and yes I play videogames. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think that rule is perfect except if a valuable player is lost due to it. It certainly should be enforced almost always, but I think exceptions should be made for exceptional individuals.

Sopa on
    jrrClpr.gif
  • Options
    FerretFerret Registered User regular
    Quick note not regarding Drunk town

While Iron hollows isn't a hub of any sort and rarely get visitors I feel the need to post this so I do not have to kill people.

I'm experimenting with using minimum torches. Today I removed about 1000 torches. My lands are not safe atm and if you come frolicking in at the night and get everything creeperd to death I will be displeased.

Remember 12/21/2012 when the doctor saved us all once again.
  • Options
    SopaSopa Yes I am a dinosaur, and yes I play videogames. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ferret wrote: »

While Iron hollows isn't a hub of any sort and rarely get visitors I feel the need to post this so I do not have to kill people.

I'm experimenting with using minimum torches. Today I removed about 1000 torches. My lands are not safe atm and if you come frolicking in at the night and get everything creeperd to death I will be displeased.
    You don't just WALK into Iron Hollows.

(Apparently, you frolic.)

Sopa on
    jrrClpr.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2012

[edit]From a quick google search, rather than my short-tested findings:
    Rule of thumb: Stay on the block that has the torch. From there, choose a direction and start counting: 1,2,3,4,5,6. Now, turn right and continue counting: 7,8,9,10,11,12,13. Stop! Place a torch at the 13th block. Also... If you count from 1 to 13 in a straight line, there should be a torch on block to the right (14th block).

JpsCrazy on
  • Options
    FerretFerret Registered User regular
    JpsCrazy wrote: »

Rule of thumb: Stay on the block that has the torch. From there, choose a direction and start counting: 1,2,3,4,5,6. Now, turn right and continue counting: 7,8,9,10,11,12,13. Stop! Place a torch at the 13th block. Also... If you count from 1 to 13 in a straight line, there should be a torch on block to the right (14th block).

By minimum torches i mean no torches outside of buildings to stop my dear snow from melting. Because I'd rather battle a horde of creepers on my way to the mailbox then have melted snow

Remember 12/21/2012 when the doctor saved us all once again.
  • Options
    JpsCrazy wrote: »

By minimum torches i mean no torches outside of buildings to stop my dear snow from melting. Because I'd rather battle a horde of creepers on my way to the mailbox then have melted snow

Melted snow is pretty terrible.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Junpei wrote: »

Jesus, man, that was a stellar video.

Goin' to to World Haus right now before bed to drop my sign off. Had no idea that was there.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

Inclined to agree.

Not a fan of exceptions... it feels way too unfair.

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »

Inclined to agree.

Not a fan of exceptions... it feels way too unfair.

I've been thinking about it... and I agree.
    Question though: if I start griefing does Twixxo get banned? :D

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Had a lot of fun just cruising around the server today, checking out all the cool stuff you've all built.

I took the rail right out to the end of the frontier station and I'm building a little swamp hut. It's on a little island to the right (as you approach the track terminus), I hope that's not going to be an issue? At the moment it's just lit up with torches and I've built a little auto wheat farm

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    JPS raises a good point. I can understand banning the voucher if, right after being brought in, the vouchee goes on an 8-village griefing tour. But what purpose does banning the voucher serve once several months or a year have passed in which the vouchee spends their time building and socializing? Isn't the entire point to punish the voucher for being a shitty judge of character? It's kind of impossible to foresee someone just up and deciding to grief months down the line.

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    ChokeOnGlitterChokeOnGlitter Amazing San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Had a lot of fun just cruising around the server today, checking out all the cool stuff you've all built.

I took the rail right out to the end of the frontier station and I'm building a little swamp hut. It's on a little island to the right (as you approach the track terminus), I hope that's not going to be an issue? At the moment it's just lit up with torches and I've built a little auto wheat farm

Justin lives over there so maybe if you see him on, JustinSane07 I think..I"m sure it's fine though but be sure your not within stones throw of him.

• Options
    BullioxBulliox Registered User regular
    A good point has been raised. I know I'm not the most liked member of the server, but I HAVE been around for awhile. If I were to snap and go on a rampage, does that mean the person who vouched for me STILL gets banned after months of following rules?

• Options
    BullioxBulliox Registered User regular
    Oh hey, also... Is drunk town where everyone is just getting hammered and trying to build stuff? If so, I'm DEFINITELY game for the next event.

• Options
    PvtCaboosePvtCaboose Halifax NS, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    TheExAm wrote: »
    JPS raises a good point. I can understand banning the voucher if, right after being brought in, the vouchee goes on an 8-village griefing tour. But what purpose does banning the voucher serve once several months or a year have passed in which the vouchee spends their time building and socializing? Isn't the entire point to punish the voucher for being a shitty judge of character? It's kind of impossible to foresee someone just up and deciding to grief months down the line.

It seems valid and I am inclined to agree. Should we put some sort of statute of limitations on the friend ban? I don't know what would be a valid amount of time, like 6 months. If after 6 months of playing a person decides to grief they alone are held responsible. Before that six month mark the person that vouched for them is held responsible as well. Kind of like a probabtion period. Lol if it is 6 months to the day that may be suspicious. It actually may not be a bad idea not to tell us the timeframe. That way people will never truly know and won't just wait until that time passes.

I do agree with the current rules and completely understand why they are the way they are. So if we can't come to a majority agreement we should leave that rule the way it is.

PvtCaboose on
  • Options
    dargondarkfiredargondarkfire wyomingRegistered User regular
    did we have another griefer?!

(as for my leg, tomorrow i go to physical therapy and get the leg wrap removed.)
    I finished my story run in me2 and have begun me3... (had to fix the face because for some reason it loaded me with big huge lips that curved up and around. @_@)

• Options
    Do we no longer have a mossy cobble shop? Twixxo's in Bodegas only sells cracked and mossy bricks now.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Concerning the friend ban, my two cents (which I'm sure I've harped on enough for folks to know about by now) is that enforcing it on a zero tolerance basis is both destructive and needless. The only reason to have zero tolerance rules in any situation is if enforcement by judgment is limited by logistics or capabilities. As we have almost as many mods and admins as we have regular players, this is not the case on our server.

There is no such thing as a fair rule system, and striving to make one that is fair will only needlessly create more rules and punishments than are necessary for the overall positive outcome of the ruleset (in this case a safe, non-greifed server). To enforce the friend ban 100% every time in any circumstance is not only destructive to the server community (by removing key players through no fault of their own, lets say) but also is effectively a lazy way to govern as it takes all responsibility from those who are tasked with the safekeeping of the server.

Each individual instance should be looked at as if in a vacuum from each other case. No two situations are the same, and what might easily warrant a ban (such as the Yubski/Zubski situation) might not in another case (such as the one at present). To compare them under the guise of "fairness" isn't fair at all in the end, it's bringing preconceptions into looking at your current problem.

This is one of the main things that differs between a mediation based system and a legal based system. Mediation based always works better for longevity and health of a group, but due to logistics and manpower concerns it often is not possible to do on a larger scale. Again, this is not something that is the case with the server, and to think it otherwise is inherently dishonest given the amount of administrators we have and the variety of their personal backgrounds (which makes claims of bias fairly warrantless).

I don't know if the situation at hand warrants a ban or not, and it's ultimately not my call to make. Just make sure that the reasons you make your decision are not because of what is easy, but because of what is best for the server and your responsibilities as a whole.

Enc on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »

Justin lives over there so maybe if you see him on, JustinSane07 I think..I"m sure it's fine though but be sure your not within stones throw of him.

Yep, that island is fine. I believe I left a sign on the smaller island nearby that it's reserved for a lighthouse that I'd eventually like to build, but the bigger one you're on can be developed. Eventually I'd like to make that area at the end the city of Terminus Port, with docks and crappy frontier buildings and boardwalks, but I just haven't had inspiration or motivation to do it.

And while Justin does live down Frontier Road, unless he has a new build he's nowhere near the end. It's a loooooooong road.

This discussion has been closed.