Options

We don't actually build or mine anymore, we just play with cats all day. Minecraft!

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ok cool. Yeah, there was no signs on the island I'm building on. My issue is I fly to work and I'm away for weeks at a time, so my activity will seem pretty haphazard. Rest assured I'll be developing my little space and i want it to be as unobtrusive as possible

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SopaSopa Yes I am a dinosaur, and yes I play videogames. Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Do we no longer have a mossy cobble shop? Twixxo's in Bodegas only sells cracked and mossy bricks now.

There should be a tent selling it at the Ocelotl shipwreck encampment.

jrrClpr.gif
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Other things I learnt about the server: People love to circle jerk

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    I don't know if the situation at hand warrants a ban or not, and it's ultimately not my call to make. Just make sure that the reasons you make your decision are not because of what is easy, but because of what is best for the server and your responsibilities as a whole.

That is the only heuristic we ever use, period. Suggesting that banning someone we've come to like having around is 'easy' is mischaracterizing the issue.

Also, for the record, we have 7 reasonably active admins at the moment. There are theoretically 5 other people who have admin capacities but who don't enter into the overall equation when we're discussing how to deal with punitive matters, due largely to inactivity or because their admin status is part of a mutual respect sort of thing. We have over 20 people who log in routinely enough to be considered active players, so while we definitely have a large population of admins it's by no means equal to the player pop.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    JpsCrazyJpsCrazy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Bulliox wrote: »
    Oh hey, also... Is drunk town where everyone is just getting hammered and trying to build stuff? If so, I'm DEFINITELY game for the next event.

Why yes! That's exactly what it is!
    And Drunk Shack was the precursor. Setting up a small base camp with beds, supplies, a house, etc for the drunken madness that will ensue. Drunk Town will have MUCH more of a warning before it happens.

There is no such thing as a fair rule system, and striving to make one that is fair will only needlessly create more rules and punishments than are necessary for the overall positive outcome of the ruleset (in this case a safe, non-greifed server). To enforce the friend ban 100% every time in any circumstance is not only destructive to the server community (by removing key players through no fault of their own, lets say) but also is effectively a lazy way to govern as it takes all responsibility from those who are tasked with the safekeeping of the server.

My only concern with this is when some people get banned and some don't we're going to have people coming forward 'So, you guys didn't like me as much as soandso and that's why I got banned and he didn't?' What happens then? Do we ignore the person? Tell him the mods word is law?
    Personally, I added Technoveins too quickly back in the day. One night, she got drunk and caused a bit of mischief, albeit nothing actually destructive, just replaced some signs of people's houses saying they were her own. Now, if she did something terrible I would be the one responsible for her being there to do that.
    I think the only feasible way is the time constraint idea, but it'd be by a mods discretion and not publicly available. A standard time length isn't enough in my eyes. Some players are more active and some contribute more. I think that should be taken into consideration as well. Not to mention technically I've been part of this server for MUCH longer than I was active. Anyone remember me from Midlurf? No? Yeah, I didn't think so. I played for about a week, and then became active after the new map.
    Maybe a week/month suspension for the player who invited them depending on the circumstances?

...then again how often do people really get banned on here due to their friend griefing? And how often is it the case that the person who invited them had no idea that their friend wasn't following the rules? I feel like this is getting blown out of proportion. I mean, if you think for a minute about who you're going to invite chances are you can keep yourself out of trouble.

JpsCrazy on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    We look at every case individually, even the level of griefing. We have a sense of humor and if the griefing level is funny, like writing OH! on top of a building or installing a fancy mustache to the side of one then we don't really care. We care if someone's figurative house of cards gets knocked down. We also take into case sobriety, if someone was drunk if they did something then we'd probably just give them a warning.

As far as time goes, if months have passed then we'd likely just ban the perp and not the friend. People do surprising things, so friends can't always be held accountable. However such a time limit is at our (admins) discretion and we can't share it with you or someone can use the time limit against us. We don't have any blanket definition as far as rule goes, even fires can be a mistake and we discuss at length of what to do when something bad happens.

Clearly, not every case is the same and to treat it as such would be a really stupid thing and would harm the server in the end. You're all individual people so every case must be treated as such.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    PvtCaboosePvtCaboose Halifax NS, CanadaRegistered User regular
    nuka wrote: »
    We look at every case individually, even the level of griefing. We have a sense of humor and if the griefing level is funny, like writing OH! on top of a building or installing a fancy mustache to the side of one then we don't really care. We care if someone's figurative house of cards gets knocked down. We also take into case sobriety, if someone was drunk if they did something then we'd probably just give them a warning.

As far as time goes, if months have passed then we'd likely just ban the perp and not the friend. People do surprising things, so friends can't always be held accountable. However such a time limit is at our (admins) discretion and we can't share it with you or someone can use the time limit against us. We don't have any blanket definition as far as rule goes, even fires can be a mistake and we discuss at length of what to do when something bad happens.

Clearly, not every case is the same and to treat it as such would be a really stupid thing and would harm the server in the end. You're all individual people so every case must be treated as such.

From what I've seen you guys have done a great job of keeping us safe. It isn't always easy doing the right thing and we don't live in a world of Black and White, mostly shades of Gray. Not everyone will be happy with every decision, that is a given.
    What you are saying here makes sense about it really being a case by case decision. The OH thing was pretty funny and makes sense that no one is punished for that one as it was probably very easy to remove it.

• Options
    greygrey Registered User regular
    My ghosts...my ghosts are everywhere.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    nuka wrote: »

:^:

• Options
    dargondarkfiredargondarkfire wyomingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    if any of my friends wanted to join the server.
    i would tell them they need to join the forums and ask for/earn their way onto the white list.
    might seem mean but its my way of protecting myself if they decide to grief or be stupid.

but its not that big a deal when most of my friends are in mmos or on the ps3 and have no interest in or don't have a pc to play minecraft.

dargondarkfire on
  • Options
    McMastaMcMasta ProvoRegistered User regular
    Anyone Know what forum name Jint uses?

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    So I poked around on the server some for the first time last night. You guys build ridiculous things. I was very impressed.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    We can't start a new map until we have a party at the Hagia. Bread and healing potions for everybody!

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    I haven't put my vote in yet but I currently vote against a map change. Working on a large project and don't want to lose it. Plus there is so much space out there that I don't see much need in starting a new map unless a major update comes out that requires us to move to a new one.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Their is infinite space, and that's the problem. We are so sprea out it's ridiculous.

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Their is infinite space, and that's the problem. We are so sprea out it's ridiculous.

What you mean is you don't get to try and seize control of every build project :P

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    derp forums.

The Good Doctor Tran on
  • Options

What you mean is you don't get to try and seize control of every build project :P
    Shush

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

I do agree we are spread out. I am one of them, being at the end of the old south rail line. The thing is if we went to a new map people would spread out again. If we put borders then it would fill up and we would need to open the borders again. Once we do that people will spread out.

I understand what you mean, sometimes you feel really alone because everyone is so far out.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Ragemode: Activate!

So. First and foremost, I hatehatehate how spawn is laid out in the nether. First, you spawn in an empty room like 5 floors up from the entrance. And then the spawn back to Ispawnbul isn't exactly close. On top of that, it's not very apparent where the netherboat is for non-regular nether goers, (...then again I'm perpetually lost no matter where I am) and it says it takes you to spawn, but it seems like the only spawn is to Woolhalla. Either I'm missing something, or it's mislabeled. Yeah, it's not a huge deal, it's just an inconvenience we could probably fairly easily avoid.

If I seem annoyed it's cause I just lost all my supplies for my next project including an amazing enchanted pick in lava in a totally unrelated experience.

Yeah, I was just in a bad mood.
    This isn't a big deal really.

JpsCrazy on
  • Options
    FerretFerret Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Their is infinite space, and that's the problem. We are so sprea out it's ridiculous.[/quot

Shush

It seems people have forgotten the time when there were borders and we were all jammed in that small space elbow to elbow

P.s. ferret is bad at forums

Ferret on
    Remember 12/21/2012 when the doctor saved us all once again.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    So, a few things regarding the state of the MV plugin and other issues.

A lot of modders and plugin writers have basically put all projects on hold, the reason being MC 1.3 is a pretty interesting and huge leap forward. Previously developers had to maintain codebases for SSP and SMP separately - in effect they were two different games - but 1.3 has changed that completely by completely doing away with the SSP codebase. If you fire up a 1.3 single player world, your JVM starts its own local minecraft server. You are basically playing on an SMP server for one.

So, obviously, the MCP single player modders have totally suspended work, because while 1.3 destroys what they've been doing prior to now, it doesn't provide the needed Minecraft Modder API to actually repair anything. That API was slated for 1.4, but 1.3 was such a huge departure that there are rumblings that we may see an early build of the API in 1.3.

As a consequence if you have a build project in either single player or multiplayer that you are hugely attached to it would be a good idea to finish it up soon. Soon is a gray quantity here - it's likely that when 1.3 comes out, we will not be updating for a significant period of time because all of our needed plugins will basically have to be rewritten if the API comes out. But given the discussion about the map's longevity I thought it would be worth pointing these issues out.

One unfortunate side effect of all of this is that the MV plugin's development has slowed to almost nothing. They aren't dealing with their existing tickets and I suspect this is why, although I can't confirm that. So the nether is likely to remain problematic for the foreseeable future. I may actually roll the plugin version back to something more stable if I can find anything.

But, on the plus side, if we get the API in 1.3, from now on there will be no distinction between client and server mods. If a mod is released, it will have to be released for SMP, meaning we will get to partake of all of the awesome things SSP has had for a while, like smart movement and other assorted things. I am speaking here as me and not as a member of the admin team, so please understand there's no official consensus on what all we'd install, and it's entirely possible (and some would say likely) that Mojang will deeply fuck up 1.3 and we'll be stuck on 1.2 for a very long time. In fact, if I were to gamble on this I would put my money on a badly damaged and mis-implemented 1.3 followed by lurching fixes and poorly thought out design changes in 1.4 and 1.5, until in 1.6 we get something approximating a playable game. But I'm Mister Funtime Happy Guy. Other people should feel free to be optimistic!

So that is the news from the technical front. You guys can go back to being drunk again.

The Good Doctor Tran on
  • Options
    *blows up citadel*

• Options
    ChokeOnGlitterChokeOnGlitter Amazing San DiegoRegistered User regular
    So, a few things regarding the state of the MV plugin and other issues.

A lot of modders and plugin writers have basically put all projects on hold, the reason being MC 1.3 is a pretty interesting and huge leap forward. Previously developers had to maintain codebases for SSP and SMP separately - in effect they were two different games - but 1.3 has changed that completely by completely doing away with the SSP codebase. If you fire up a 1.3 single player world, your JVM starts its own local minecraft server. You are basically playing on an SMP server for one.

So, obviously, the MCP single player modders have totally suspended work, because while 1.3 destroys what they've been doing prior to now, it doesn't provide the needed Minecraft Modder API to actually repair anything. That API was slated for 1.4, but 1.3 was such a huge departure that there are rumblings that we may see an early build of the API in 1.3.

As a consequence if you have a build project in either single player or multiplayer that you are hugely attached to it would be a good idea to finish it up soon. Soon is a gray quantity here - it's likely that when 1.3 comes out, we will not be updating for a significant period of time because all of our needed plugins will basically have to be rewritten if the API comes out. But given the discussion about the map's longevity I thought it would be worth pointing these issues out.

One unfortunate side effect of all of this is that the MV plugin's development has slowed to almost nothing. They aren't dealing with their existing tickets and I suspect this is why, although I can't confirm that. So the nether is likely to remain problematic for the foreseeable future. I may actually roll the plugin version back to something more stable if I can find anything.

But, on the plus side, if we get the API in 1.3, from now on there will be no distinction between client and server mods. If a mod is released, it will have to be released for SMP, meaning we will get to partake of all of the awesome things SSP has had for a while, like smart movement and other assorted things. I am speaking here as me and not as a member of the admin team, so please understand there's no official consensus on what all we'd install, and it's entirely possible (and some would say likely) that Mojang will deeply fuck up 1.3 and we'll be stuck on 1.2 for a very long time. In fact, if I were to gamble on this I would put my money on a badly damaged and mis-implemented 1.3 followed by lurching fixes and poorly thought out design changes in 1.4 and 1.5, until in 1.6 we get something approximating a playable game. But I'm Mister Funtime Happy Guy. Other people should feel free to be optimistic!

So that is the news from the technical front. You guys can go back to being drunk again.

>.> Sounds...well I don't have words for what I feel.

ALso.... I feel like he thinks we are alwys drunk :D

Only on mon-sunday

GEESH

lol

• Options
    So. I've been chatting around and I'm hearing a few different things about cultists and the inquisition and I've got a few questions.

Read the wiki, which I presume is the highest authority, and it seems like anyone can just become a cultist whenever they feel like it, just have to build a shrine. Then I heard you're supposed to talk to a specific person, they'll give you a task, and then you're a cultist assuming you complete it right.
    Also, shrines are supposed to be removed once they've been found out, but Enc asked me to reset the traps to allow other people to do it as well.
    Furthermore, you can either admit to your evil ways and quit being a cultist, or just be interrogated and continue being one. Personally, I like the bounty idea muchhhh more, and I had a ton of fun fighting everyone. It just makes a lot more sense, although the admitting to your evil ways and quitting should still be a choice.

Is the Hunter's Guild COMPLETELY separate from the former cultists and inquisition? (I know it's not directly related to the Inquisition at all, but it's in the same realm of things.)

Anything special happen for invasions? I know there's no mention of this elsewhere, but it seems kinda silly to one day be worshiping the Dark Lord and the next killing Sykt.

I know that cultists and the inquisition have virtually died compared to what they were before, but I'd personally like to see it brought back.

• Options
    There is one step you missed, don't admit your a cultist.

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

• Options
    edited May 2012
    JpsCrazy wrote: »
    So. I've been chatting around and I'm hearing a few different things about cultists and the inquisition and I've got a few questions.

Read the wiki, which I presume is the highest authority, and it seems like anyone can just become a cultist whenever they feel like it, just have to build a shrine. Then I heard you're supposed to talk to a specific person, they'll give you a task, and then you're a cultist assuming you complete it right.
    Also, shrines are supposed to be removed once they've been found out, but Enc asked me to reset the traps to allow other people to do it as well.
    Furthermore, you can either admit to your evil ways and quit being a cultist, or just be interrogated and continue being one. Personally, I like the bounty idea muchhhh more, and I had a ton of fun fighting everyone. It just makes a lot more sense, although the admitting to your evil ways and quitting should still be a choice.

Is the Hunter's Guild COMPLETELY separate from the former cultists and inquisition? (I know it's not directly related to the Inquisition at all, but it's in the same realm of things.)

Anything special happen for invasions? I know there's no mention of this elsewhere, but it seems kinda silly to one day be worshiping the Dark Lord and the next killing Sykt.

I know that cultists and the inquisition have virtually died compared to what they were before, but I'd personally like to see it brought back.

Ok, I'm going to go Meta here for a bit. Below is my understanding of how the game pragmatically works:

The basic meta-game dichotomy of the IQ versus the Cultists is this: Cultists make death dungeons, or shrines, for other players (the IQ) to dungeoneer through. By surviving and completing a dungeon, IQ members would see, in the last room, a shrine (possibly) signed by the cultist. This would then make that player a known cultist and capable for pvp flagging and role play as a villain. The IQ, for their hard work, would roleplay as good guys (in theory) or as the basic threatening zealots depending on the player.

This is separate from the server-wide Legion events, which are run by an unknown Admin(s) playing as the Dark Lord (through Sykt), though not always unrelated. Many times Cultists would take advantage of both the Cultists and the IQ being in the same place and backstab them (or vice versa). The main thing to take away though was that the Cultists and the IQ alike could play Legion events.

This all worked well, except the IQ started running out of active players and recruitment was tough as the "reward" for playing was the obligation to run death dungeons with no reward whatsoever. This made the amount of IQ members dwindle, and the active Cultists grow bored as no one would run their dungeons.

Having been a former IQ member, I thought that a nice way to encourage players to both make and run death dunegons would be to take the Legion Event approach: offer loot for doing so. The Hunters Guild is here to reward players for being essentially temporary Inquisitors. Any Inquisitor or Cultist (except Sopa) may play as a Hunter and try a dungeon, or any Inquisitor or Cultist could make a dungeon and post it to the guild anonymously.

Essentially, the Hunter's Guild is just here to announce your death dungeons and ensure they don't go unplayed by offering nice shiny bits for people who run them.

For players more interested in the Roleplay rather than the actual mechanics. Carrington is the defacto head of the Inquisition and Sopapaya is the defacto head of the Cultists.

Also, never tell someone you are a cultist. And always tell someone if you are an Inquisitor.

If you are a hunter, you only get to be one while you run the dungeon. It's a temp agency thing.

Enc on
  • Options
    JpsCrazy wrote: »
    Ragemode: Activate!

So. First and foremost, I hatehatehate how spawn is laid out in the nether. First, you spawn in an empty room like 5 floors up from the entrance. And then the spawn back to Ispawnbul isn't exactly close. On top of that, it's not very apparent where the netherboat is for non-regular nether goers, (...then again I'm perpetually lost no matter where I am) and it says it takes you to spawn, but it seems like the only spawn is to Woolhalla. Either I'm missing something, or it's mislabeled. Yeah, it's not a huge deal, it's just an inconvenience we could probably fairly easily avoid.

If I seem annoyed it's cause I just lost all my supplies for my next project including an amazing enchanted pick in lava in a totally unrelated experience.

Yeah, I was just in a bad mood.
    This isn't a big deal really.

Make your own nether portal at your build. Sleep in a bed next to it. Then enter.

Problem solved?

• Options
    Concerning the single player server thing, how would that work for the server as a whole now? Would we have 20+ individual servers we could visit as a player is on? Would there still be a single hosted game for us all to work with, only now with the ability to, say, have a dungeon world created and hosted on a second game file for Legion Events and the like?

This change seems incredibly awkward for my mind to parse.
    My mind has been blown.

• Options
    TymoraTymora Registered User regular
    Ferret wrote: »

QFT

"The difference between virtuality and life is very simple. In a construct you know everything is being run by an all-powerful machine. Reality doesn't offer this assurance, so it's very easy to develop the mistaken impression that you're in control."

QUELLCRIST FALCONER
    Ethics on the Precipice
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Concerning the single player server thing, how would that work for the server as a whole now? Would we have 20+ individual servers we could visit as a player is on? Would there still be a single hosted game for us all to work with, only now with the ability to, say, have a dungeon world created and hosted on a second game file for Legion Events and the like?

My mind has been blown.

When you start a single player game, you start a server on your machine that you connect to and play on with your map.
    When you play multi player you connect to the SE++ server and you play on the SE++ map.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    there's probably not going to be a noticeable difference from the player's perspective, it's just structuring the program differently behind the scenes.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

My mind has been blown.

When you start a single player game, you start a server on your machine that you connect to and play on with your map.
    When you play multi player you connect to the SE++ server and you play on the SE++ map.

So people could "pop in" on your map. Huh.

brb, preparing a billion tnt next to my map's spawn point.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

My mind has been blown.

So people could "pop in" on your map. Huh.

brb, preparing a billion tnt next to my map's spawn point.

no they could not, you'll still need to explicitly set up a multiplayer server for other people to join. It's just a behind-the-scenes change to how the game runs.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

So what do I do with all this TnT?

• Options
    The only difference I've noticed from a single player perspective is there's a chat box, some of the basic server commands, and it runs a little worse which hopefully will be fixed.

• Options
    Getting some wonky black lag right now, but tics are in oddly high numbers (24-27). Just a heads up.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    [Edit]Nevermind, ignore me.

JpsCrazy on
  • Options
    taylorquinn123taylorquinn123 Registered User regular
    Oh my goodness, I haven't been here in a while!

This discussion has been closed.