As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    It's up: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=131

I'm going to name my character Durante and post the screenshots in my review. We will all die, but his legacy will be immortalized.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, Quelaag down. See, it was just a matter of taking it easy and not summoning the phantom. Without Mildred there, I can bait and read the thing's movement and do some proper Monster Hunter on it. For example, if I stay at a medium distance all the time except to poke, she doesn't roar, which is the main problem I had - but with Mildred always up in her business, she was roaring all the time forever.

Instinctively answered no to the egg dude after, though, and didn't want to murder him. Will try to get past him later.

As of now, I'm at the Parish's bonfire, thank god. Now I better investigate what the hell is up with Firelink - to use the black orb I have to be human, I presume? Also, I'll have to go check what the flying fuck is the thing that appeared in the temple ruins there. But that'll be tomorrow. It's past midnight today.

You can use the Black Orb while hollowed, and can try to reclaim her soul as many times as you like until you succeed. Just keep the orb on you, it'll tell you when you get to the area you can use it (There's no avoiding it, it's right before a boss fight that's required as part of the story).

Looked up the thing about Eingyi - it looks like if you just retreat and come back later he'll reset. He's the game's second Pyromancy trainer, and useful because Laurentius will eventually leave and go hollow on you (The trigger is revealing the location of chaos pyromancy). However, he only has two spells, one of which you can loot in the swamp. (Poison Mist and Toxic Mist, inflicting the corresponding ailments... having two copies of a spell lets you equip it twice for double the castings. One reason to start pyromancer if you intend to go heavy on it - more fire orbs). You do need to do something for him to start playing trainer though, but it's hinted at in his dialogue after saying yes (And he'll basically let you undo it for free).
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Someone said to try out Pyromancer. I wouldn't mind giving that build a shot, but I'd also like the quickest steps to turn that into a capable melee job that also uses magic.

Find a Claymore, Halberd, or other weapon you like. Get your stats high enough to use it. Upgrade it to do Fire or Lightning damage. Puts points in Endurance and Vitality. Upgrade your Pyromancer's Flame.

Basically, you'll be putting the points you'd normally be using for better scaling bonuses into more health and stamina, and instead making powerful non-scaling weapons. Drake Sword would be particularly good for this kind of build (It's strong, but doesn't scale and has terrible upgrades - which is fine, since you only care about it's base values).

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    Looks like I missed out on the chance to use Mildred on Quelagg. I saw a couple summon signs near the fog, but I wanted to go at it alone..

It was a satisfying boss fight, but it took me four times. Probably would have taken three, but I was so close to beating her, that I got carried away and used up all my stamina, and then died to her roar.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    I had the stupidest death to Quelaag this runthrough. There were two pools of lava right next to each other, and I accidentally stepped into one, which knocked me back into the other one, which then knocked me back into the first one. My character proceeded to bounce back and forth like that for 30 seconds until my health ticked down with no chance of escape. It was so ridiculous I couldn't help but laugh.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Basically, you'll be putting the points you'd normally be using for better scaling bonuses into more health and stamina, and instead making powerful non-scaling weapons. Drake Sword would be particularly good for this kind of build (It's strong, but doesn't scale and has terrible upgrades - which is fine, since you only care about it's base values).

Right now I've leveled up my Endurance and Strength by four points. When should I focus on Health and Stamina?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Any detailed thoughts on the DLC yet? Help tide me over!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Right now I've leveled up my Endurance and Strength by four points. When should I focus on Health and Stamina?

Um, whenever you aren't going for equip requirements? At least until they get to 20 or so - I just dropped Ornstein and Smough with a bit over 20.

Lifehunt Scythe + 2: 213 + 135 power. (135 from E strength and B dex scaling). Plus the lifehunt bleed. This did a number on Super Ornstein, he lost a good 2-3 bars of health per hit, even if he's not vulnerable to bleed (That would be nuts though, since the bleed from the two lifehunt weapons takes 50% HP). For the record, my Iaito+10 is only 177 base damage, but it carved up Anor Londo fine. This is a significant power boost (at a small cost of attack speed - it's actually a pretty fast weapon, and the heavy attacks are similar to the Iaito's too).

Bonfire warping obtained. Oolacile catalyst obtained, and put myself at 14 in attunement and int for 3 slots and enough to use the Oolacile sorceries (Namely, hidden body, camouflage, and repair). Since I also have the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring (eliminates movement noise, duplicating the Hush sorcery), when I start invading people, I can just look like a vase on the wall until they're close... then WHAM start laying into them out of nowhere. Or turn invisible. As a bonus, invasion puts up fog walls, so they're in trouble...

Need to go buy the Bloodbite Ring, so I can increase my bleed resistance to help mitigate the backlash bleed of the Lifehunt Scythe. Losing half my own max HP is NOT FUN. I actually did that once during the O&S fight... managed to win still though. Solaire didn't last much past the first phase - which is fine, I just needed a distraction so it wasn't constant 1v2. Might go do some Jolly Cooperation there, actually, since I can pull my own weight.

Thinking of rolling a new char for another build. Suggestions? What I'm considering:
    Strength-based warrior (BIG WEAPONS SMASH... and also the fist weapons)
    Sorcerer
    Pyromaniac - Daughters of Chaos, straight pyromancy-powered tanky build.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    It's three new areas, basically the equivalent of a new lord soul. I clocked in at about 3-4 hours; some people on SA were saying 8 hours which sounds kind of ridiculous, but there is an optional sidequest and a boss that I haven't found yet.

As for the quality, well, it's more Dark Souls. They haven't lost the touch. I'd say it actually helps round out the latter half of the game quite a bit because it's leaps and bounds above Lost Izalith in quality, and will at least be less frustrating than the Duke's Archives and Tomb of Giants were for some people.

There's a truly challenging boss fight at the end too, and the optional boss is supposedly even harder, so you definitely won't be disappointed if that's what you're looking for.

Lork on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I got invaded while grinding for green titanite shards in blight town. Why the heck would anyone voluntarily invade blight town? At least I wasted about ten minutes of that person's time by just hiding in a corner and not moving until they stumbled upon me.

• Options
    Lork wrote: »
    It's three new areas, basically the equivalent of a new lord soul. I clocked in at about 3-4 hours; some people on SA were saying 8 hours which sounds kind of ridiculous, but there is an optional sidequest and a boss that I haven't found yet.

As for the quality, well, it's more Dark Souls. They haven't lost the touch. I'd say it actually helps round out the latter half of the game quite a bit because it's leaps and bounds above Lost Izalith in quality, and will at least be less frustrating than the Duke's Archives and Tomb of Giants were for some people.

There's a truly challenging boss fight at the end too, and the optional boss is supposedly even harder, so you definitely won't be disappointed if that's what you're looking for.

Where does it start, anyways?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

I want another area like Boletarian Castle or Anor Londo.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012

It unlocks when you place the lordvessel.

I'm spoiling this because I'm sure somebody would complain if I didn't, but if you've played before and are interested in the DLC, you owe it to yourself to read that spoiler. Don't let yourself get confused and frustrated because you thought you were missing something like I did. It's practically impossible to miss once you get to that point in the game, too, it's just that you'll get confused and think you're doing something wrong if you try to get to it before then.

Lork on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i have died 12 times to the very first enemy with a shield
    i can't figure out how to parry

also, i have the pyromancer as my guy, but how do i use pyromancy?

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    I was going to mention this, but @Drascin Quelaag's roar is fire damage, and if you take the back way into Blighttown, you walk right past one of the best vs. fire shields in the game.

Supplementarily, NEVER ENTER BLIGHTTOWN FROM THE DOOR IN THE DEPTHS

NEVER
    Until you're decked out in like Anor Londo gear and SL Fuck You Hundred, that is. That place is pretty shit otherwise.

Getting to the bottom bonfire from the other entrance is like... 5 ladders and a dogovator, with maybe 10 enemies unless you count the toxic dart guys by the FK soul there.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    Kainy wrote: »
    I was going to mention this, but @Drascin Quelaag's roar is fire damage, and if you take the back way into Blighttown, you walk right past one of the best vs. fire shields in the game.

Supplementarily, NEVER ENTER BLIGHTTOWN FROM THE DOOR IN THE DEPTHS

NEVER
    Until you're decked out in like Anor Londo gear and SL Fuck You Hundred, that is. That place is pretty shit otherwise.

Getting to the bottom bonfire from the other entrance is like... 5 ladders and a dogovator, with maybe 10 enemies unless you count the toxic dart guys by the FK soul there.

To use the back way in (The firelink shrine shortcut) requires the master key. So, yeah, if you started with that, yes... it's much easier. (You can't gain it normally until after clearing Blighttown, and the normal key to that door is of course on the Blighttown side).

Thanks for reminding me - I need to remember to start master key for my future chars.

• Options
    Uhhhh no it absolutely doesn't require the master key.
    You can easily get there via an elevator from Darkroot Basin, and then the key to open the door to the New Londo ruins is literally 30 feet from the backdoor entrance to Blighttown, allowing a less dragon-filled path. Escaping the 2 blue drakes in the way is pretty easy, and killing the stationary poison drake is also pretty simple - either shoot him with infinity arrows, or run up, hack his claw until out of stamina, run out, wait for him to be breathing poison again. His poison breath isn't enough to actually inflict poison, and if you run out every time, you can avoid his (very dangerous) claw swipe and get him to go back to barfing useless poison at you.

I never, ever take the master key, and I also never enter Blighttown any other way unless forced to :P

• Options
    You can easily get there via an elevator from Darkroot Basin, and then the key to open the door to the New Londo ruins is literally 30 feet from the backdoor entrance to Blighttown, allowing a less dragon-filled path. Escaping the 2 blue drakes in the way is pretty easy, and killing the stationary poison drake is also pretty simple - either shoot him with infinity arrows, or run up, hack his claw until out of stamina, run out, wait for him to be breathing poison again. His poison breath isn't enough to actually inflict poison, and if you run out every time, you can avoid his (very dangerous) claw swipe and get him to go back to barfing useless poison at you.

I never, ever take the master key, and I also never enter Blighttown any other way unless forced to :P

Ah, right. Ents are kind of chumps, so that would work.

I'm spoiling this because I'm sure somebody would complain if I didn't, but if you've played before and are interested in the DLC, you owe it to yourself to read that spoiler. Don't let yourself get confused and frustrated because you thought you were missing something like I did. It's practically impossible to miss once you get to that point in the game, too, it's just that you'll get confused and think you're doing something wrong if you try to get to it before then.

Is in some common area, or on the way to the lord souls?

• Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

Didn't know about any other way into Blighttown, I always entered (and exited) through the door in the depths. If those Toxic Dart guys spawned back though, I would probably cry.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    If you're a first time player don't wuss out on upper blighttown without trying it first. People tend to vastly overstate the difficulty in this game. Like pretty much every other "impossible" area, it's perfectly doable as long as you take it slow, keep a clear head, and pay attention to your surroundings so you can spot and defuse ambushes before they happen.

It's in the entrance to the Duke's Archives.

Lork on
  • Options
    If you're a first time player don't wuss out on upper blighttown without trying it first. People tend to vastly overstate the difficulty in this game. Like pretty much every other "impossible" area, it's perfectly doable as long as you take it slow, keep a clear head, and pay attention to your surroundings so you can spot and defuse ambushes before they happen.

It's in the entrance to the Duke's Archives.

Ah, yeah, that really is easy.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I joined the Forest Hunters.

Get summoned on someone. As I load in, they're just finishing off another hunter. I promptly cast Camouflage and turn into a bush. He looks around (probably saw a glimpse of me, since he went nowhere else in the area), I just sit there perfectly still. Eventually, he wanders off and I move close to where he was. He shortly returns (probably thought I had disconnected or something, then saw a fog gate up) approaches the suspicious bush slowly... but doesn't raise his shield. I proceed to lay into him with my Lifehunt Scythe, taking all 1500 or so of his HP in one unbroken combo. I wish I could have seen the look on his face when the bush exploded in a flash of yellow and suddenly a phantom's all over him... and shortly his corpse.

I don't think I'll top that any time soon, but I'm loving Camouflage. I could cast Hidden Body and turn 90% transparent. Or I could turn into a random object (relevant to area) and hide in plain sight. Plus, the spell is from a hidden area behind a completely optional miniboss that probably scares the shit out of people the first time they see it.

One more kill for the Fog Ring!

Polaritie on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Is there any reason to ever take a elemental upgrade path on a shield? I mean it seems like it would only add elemental damage if the shield is in your right hand being used as a bash weapon. Otherwise straight regular upgrade path is the way to go, unless you have a non-rare and want to follow crystal upgrade. Am I missing something or is that all there is to it?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Holy shit. Sanctuary guardian. I can hurt it.... but it NEVER STOPS COMING FOR ME.

Edit: Beat it down. At the same time as I killed myself with Lifehunt backlash. It counted, and I got its soul.

That was rough though, it's really fast, so had to use Eagle Shield for stability to get it to push past me and leave its side open when it did crazy chain attacks.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    Finally got through Blighttown (god damn, fuck platforming in games not designed for it) and managed to get Qualaag in just two tries. First time I managed to summon two of the most incompetant gits imaginable and wasted half my flasks trying to keep them alive, then got 'er to 5% of health before accidentally switching to my catalyst during her roar and dropping my shield. Second time, though, smooth sailing, especially when you discover that
    she's got a massive blind spot immedietly to her right where she can't hit you with her fire-sword thing, and her jump-stomp has massive buildup to let you get away, so as long as you concentrate her lava-spit to one particular section of the floor you're pretty much safe.
    Unfortunetily, now that I've got the Eagle Shield I'll probably start throwing myself at Sif for goodness-knows how many attempts. Fuckin' double-spin.

• Options
    I just found the path to the optional boss by carefully studying the environment and acting on a hunch. Holy fuck this game is so good.
    Turns out Kalameet isn't all that hard to kill normally, but it seems like cutting his tail is virtually impossible without summoned help.

Polaritie (or anyone else who is playing the DLC), do you think we could set up a time tomorrow after 5PM PST for some coop action? If you thought the sanctuary guardian was hard, you're going to want my help for the other bosses.

• Options
    I just found the path to the optional boss by carefully studying the environment and acting on a hunch. Holy fuck this game is so good.
    Turns out Kalameet isn't all that hard to kill normally, but it seems like cutting his tail is virtually impossible without summoned help.

Polaritie (or anyone else who is playing the DLC), do you think we could set up a time tomorrow after 5PM PST for some coop action? If you thought the sanctuary guardian was hard, you're going to want my help for the other bosses.

Actually, the sanctuary guardian kind of rolled over and died once I got the hang of it. The area past there is frustrating - the large knights mainly. Probably going to get my fog ring and then see how they like invisible+quiet.

• Options
    Blegh, doing a bunch of the Dukes Archives area, then giving the Sanctuary Guardian a try... probably going to take a few days break from the game.

They give you such a huge area to fight him in, too bad he basically corners you by the entrance and never gives you enough time to do anything other than block or roll.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Blegh, doing a bunch of the Dukes Archives area, then giving the Sanctuary Guardian a try... probably going to take a few days break from the game.

They give you such a huge area to fight him in, too bad he basically corners you by the entrance and never gives you enough time to do anything other than block or roll.

If he rears up, roll to the side and he'll be open for a couple seconds when he crashes down and sends out the wave.

If he's doing the bity/swipy combo, you want to be off-center and move sideways while blocking (Use something with high stability), and he'll slide past as he attacks, also leaving openings.

If he does the air lunge, he's open for a few seconds after that.

Lightning though, just dodge.

Tail swipe? Block and counter.

Or, just get someone else - he doesn't have too much HP, he's all offense.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Has there been any reported cheating yet or is this case just bad lag? I spent all night grinding my pyromancy to level 15, and got invaded. I hit the guy dead in the face with a level 15 fire orb and not a single hitpoint was lost.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    It's a common hack. Getting a trainer for this game is stupidly easy, and since the game has no anti-cheat system, you can easily activate infinite health, souls, resources, and so on.

• Options
    KgJLL.jpg

Can't wait for buttholes like this to get account bans on XBL. Please From/MS make some kind of statement about dealing harshly with this kind of shit. I hope they punish them brutally. I mean, really brutally. Weird stuff.. Butt stuff...

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »

If he rears up, roll to the side and he'll be open for a couple seconds when he crashes down and sends out the wave.

If he's doing the bity/swipy combo, you want to be off-center and move sideways while blocking (Use something with high stability), and he'll slide past as he attacks, also leaving openings.

If he does the air lunge, he's open for a few seconds after that.

Lightning though, just dodge.

Tail swipe? Block and counter.

Or, just get someone else - he doesn't have too much HP, he's all offense.

This helped, I managed it after about seven more tries. Even cut his tail off, though i'm not really sure it was worth doing.

Now I take the rest of it slow and steady. Maybe a little break tomorrow would do well though, i've put in a ton of time already.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I am still super early in the gamle and I still have no idea about what I am doing or where I am going, but after getting some help from a random player who invaded my game to kill shades (great guy!) I am at least progressing. I am starting to feel a bit paralysed about how I should level up my character though. Currently I am rocking medium armour and an uchikatana, long term I plan to be wearing the heaviest armour I can while staying below 50% encumberance, using basic sword and board. What kind of stat ratios should I be looking for? I assume I should put almost all my points into strength, endurance and vitality, but even the great OP guide is not really telling me at what rates I should be improving each. Maybe I should be increasing faith too?

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    What the heck, game. Why does a tattered red robe have better stats than actual leather armor. I don't want to go around looking like Raistlin.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    EDIT: Beaten.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    I keep getting invaded by either retardedly high leveled people, or retardedly speced people, but I haven't stood a chance on a single invader in my last 4-5 invasions.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    You know, I'd been considering playing online, but hearing these recounts, I think offline is good enough. Getting randomly stabbed by overpowered phantoms in the middle of an exploration does not sound great.

Also - oh my god the new fix has language override Durante I love you.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I play offline mostly, I gotta say. My connection drops occasionally and GFWL hates that shit.

Last night was AMAZING. Took the Capra Demon, the Butterfly, the Hydra and the Gaping Dragon, gained like 15 levels, found and upgraded new armor (Elite Knight stuff), found some smith upgrades bits and a sweetass stamina regen shield. Most fun I've had with the game thus far.

Then I went from the Depths to Blighttown. I shall be spending tonight fighting my way out of Blighttown to go get some goddamn supplies before trying that shithole again. At least everything I've encountered in there thus far dies really easily.

Questions:

1. If I want to go kill me some ghosts and explore the downstairs area...what do I need in terms of gear?
    2. I love my winged spear sooooo much. It's +5 atm...I think one of the bits I found last night will allow me to go to +10. What do people recommend I do with the spear in the long run? The only stats I'm running are dex -> vit/end.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    My experience in getting invaded so far has involved zero hackers. I was unaware there even were trainers for this game - I've definitely never heard of them before now, but I avoid the hardcore Dark Souls PvP set like the plague, too.

• Options
    HuntingNoobHuntingNoob Registered User regular
    i have died 12 times to the very first enemy with a shield
    i can't figure out how to parry

also, i have the pyromancer as my guy, but how do i use pyromancy?

L2 to parry right before you would get hit. To use pyromancy, equip the Pyromancy glove.

This discussion has been closed.