Options

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Straffe and dodge that lava is all I remember from that fight. I remember circling her and thinking it was funny how her arm tracks you as you move.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Yeah, most of what she does is easy, more or less. I get some scratches through my shield, but overall okay. Then she does that roar thing and I'm dead. Wonder how you avoid that... time for a third attempt.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're about to meet Queelag :)

edit: Polaritie - the furysword looks awesome, but isn't the greatest. If you want a good fire weapon, make one out of the uchigatana - or claymore. Whichever has a move set you like.

Yeah, I see that it's lacking in physical damage even at +5, but I can't find stats on how it scales with humanity.
    Drascin wrote: »
    Yeah, most of what she does is easy, more or less. I get some scratches through my shield, but overall okay. Then she does that roar thing and I'm dead. Wonder how you avoid that... time for a third attempt.

She has a human part, which can be stunlocked if you land continuous headshots. Frankly, just summon Mildred and let her kill the damned thing. The roar is very cheap - you should always be blocking after a couple attacks.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Yeah, tried summoning Mildred, twice now. Apparently, if you come with a spectre with you the damn thing just jumps on you and spits your face full of lava. That was a waste of Humanity alright. I'll try again, and if it doesn't work, I'll try to beat her while Hollow to save on Humanity.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Dudes. There's this thing in a lake. It's the greatest damn water bender of all time. What do I do? I am so outgunned.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

If she's standing still start backing away from her, just in case she does the roar thing. If she starts spewing lava instead, run up and get a few hits in. Basically just keep mobile and don't stay too close to her.

• Options
    bigwillchbigwillch Registered User regular
    I completely pussed out of the Queelag fight. I just stood in the corner by the stairs where she couldn't reach me and veeery slowly took her down with wooden arrows.

fss.png
    xbox GT: Big Will C H
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Dudes. There's this thing in a lake. It's the greatest damn water bender of all time. What do I do? I am so outgunned.

Dodge. You don't have to go down there any time soon. Also, the water shots are physical damage. Go shields!

Polaritie on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I believe she hugs the spider head when she's about to roar.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Am I the only one that beat the Queen on their second/third try? I didn't think she was that bad. More cool concept and model than difficult.

• Options
    Am I the only one that beat the Queen on their second/third try? I didn't think she was that bad. More cool concept and model than difficult.

If you mean Queelag, I beat her first try by using Mildred.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Well, honestly, screw this. I'll try again later. Clearly this is going nowhere and I've spent six humanity on this stupid goddamn thing. I get her low, and suddenly she'll decide to do a superfast 180 and sword my face in in two hit, or spit lava and if that grazes you you're dead because you can't get out.

The camera getting stuck with her body repeteadly does not help. I miss Monster Hunter's "claw". At least I could turn the camera and do other stuff at the same time.

Drascin on
  • Options
    Well, honestly, screw this. I'll try again later. Clearly this is going nowhere and I've spent six humanity on this stupid goddamn thing. I get her low, and suddenly she'll decide to do a superfast 180 and sword my face in in two hit, or spit lava and if that grazes you you're dead because you can't get out.

The camera getting stuck with her body repeteadly does not help. I miss Monster Hunter's "claw". At least I could turn the camera and do other stuff at the same time.

Are you not using a controller?

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

I am, yes. A 360 one. Meaning no running and changing the camera at the same time and such, unless I start working on using the claw handling on my right hand.

• Options
    edited August 2012

I am, yes. A 360 one. Meaning no running and changing the camera at the same time and such, unless I start working on using the claw handling on my right hand.

Ah. Right. I'm usually locked on for boss fights, so it's never been an issue for me. I even lock on during Ornstein and Smough. I suppose you can't run and move camera easily, but if you're running you probably already know what's coming (because otherwise you'd probably be walking to let stamina recover)

Queelag is a pain because of the lava though - you CAN escape it though, start mashing roll if you get caught in it, there's invincibility frames in that.

Have you tried bringing arrows and just shooting from the ledge above the stairs? Hitting the human part does stagger her, so it's an option. Gold Pine Resin would boost your damage output a fair bit as well, but it's rather scarce. Too bad Sen's Fortress isn't open, because the lightning spear in it would be quite effective on her.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    How can I know what weapons can't be infused with magic? I'm sad I can't put magic on my dark knight sword apparently.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I just noticed my last few questions were buried in a spoiler tag by accident.

Right now I would just like the most important question answered.

1. I mentioned before about a quick guide to building up a powerful character quickly in order to access the new content. Since the game's out and the content found, anyone have a guide or two handy for just that purpose?

Someone said to try out Pyromancer. I wouldn't mind giving that build a shot, but I'd also like the quickest steps to turn that into a capable melee job that also uses magic.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    How can I know what weapons can't be infused with magic? I'm sad I can't put magic on my dark knight sword apparently.

Generally speaking, you can only enchant a weapon if it's all physical damage and doesn't require Twinkling Titanite to upgrade.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Someone said to try out Pyromancer. I wouldn't mind giving that build a shot, but I'd also like the quickest steps to turn that into a capable melee job that also uses magic.

Find a Claymore, Halberd, or other weapon you like. Get your stats high enough to use it. Upgrade it to do Fire or Lightning damage. Puts points in Endurance and Vitality. Upgrade your Pyromancer's Flame.

• Options
    Heads up, Durante just said his next update (0.6) is going up in half an hour.

This guy is doing great work to undo From's bullshit. He even removed the mouse cursor from the game. I hate when PC games do that.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Oh hey that happened to me. After hell slogging through toxic bullshit swamps, first going the completely wrong direction and getting facefull of giant leaches, rounding back when I figured I was going nowhere, dunking nearly all my flasks and anti-poison shits in the process, going right past a very easy to miss bonfire, and then getting bowled over by a some asshole rolling a giant goddamned fucking rock. Then I found myself just staring at a checkpoint all the way back at the top.

I had an epiphany, pressed ALT+F4, and did something peaceful like playing Super Meat Boy while gnawing on my dick.

edit: like I mean, I get it, seriously, that the game is supposed to repeatedly punch you in the dick and you're supposed to like it, I get this. But after drogging through a dank ass, vermin infested sewer level -- the most dreary and worst part of any game ever -- only to find an even longer, darker, and more dreary crapsack place at the end of it, I can only take so much. I normally won't read guides or otherwise spoil the experience, but for this damned game, I find myself not caring end up looking up all sorts of shits because I'm too beat to slog through it anymore. It's exhausting.

Try going somewhere else. That usually helped me when I was banging my head against a wall. At where you are I'd recommend either Darkroot Basin/Garden or the Catacombs.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options

Oh crap, I remember the roar. Yes it is a one hit kill, but she clearly telegraphs it with enough time for you to get away.

• Options

Get close, dodging the water as you go. Once you're in the water, it will approach and take you on physically. Keep your block up, and swing as soon as the heads hit the ground and start to retract. Just be sure to not go too far out in the water, there is a cliff you can see that will cause you to drown.

• Options

All standard weapons can be ascended to a magic/fire/lightning weapon. If it requires twinkling or demon titanite, you can't magic it.

• Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Oh hey that happened to me. After hell slogging through toxic bullshit swamps, first going the completely wrong direction and getting facefull of giant leaches, rounding back when I figured I was going nowhere, dunking nearly all my flasks and anti-poison shits in the process, going right past a very easy to miss bonfire, and then getting bowled over by a some asshole rolling a giant goddamned fucking rock. Then I found myself just staring at a checkpoint all the way back at the top.

I had an epiphany, pressed ALT+F4, and did something peaceful like playing Super Meat Boy while gnawing on my dick.

edit: like I mean, I get it, seriously, that the game is supposed to repeatedly punch you in the dick and you're supposed to like it, I get this. But after drogging through a dank ass, vermin infested sewer level -- the most dreary and worst part of any game ever -- only to find an even longer, darker, and more dreary crapsack place at the end of it, I can only take so much. I normally won't read guides or otherwise spoil the experience, but for this damned game, I find myself not caring end up looking up all sorts of shits because I'm too beat to slog through it anymore. It's exhausting.

I wish you were recording your rage for us to see online.

It's not a knock against you, I've raged plenty myself. But part of the fun with suffering in Dark Souls is watching other people suffer along with you.

There's gotta be some memorable YouTube videos out there of people flipping out. Post 'em if you got 'em.

I already saw the Two Best Friends Play one.

• Options
    Yes, Blighttown is indeed very very frustrating, I thought I would be above everyone else and just accept it but no, I was shouting obscenities at the stupid rickety maze and how I lost a total of 15 humanity to it.

In an unrelated note, I'm eager to hear what From has to say about Durante's fix. Like hire him or something aw yeahh!

• Options
    Yes, Blighttown is indeed very very frustrating, I thought I would be above everyone else and just accept it but no, I was shouting obscenities at the stupid rickety maze and how I lost a total of 15 humanity to it.

In an unrelated note, I'm eager to hear what From has to say about Durante's fix. Like hire him or something aw yeahh!

Watch them apply patches to undo all his hard work.

I'm not sure if From is one of those dick companies that would do that sort of thing, but I also doubt they're the classy kind that would apply his stuff with a "special thanks" included.

• Options
    Upgrade guide:

upgradechart.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I'm good with not flipping out, because by the time I start to feel frustrated I realize and leave the game for a while. Gaming while angry is a spiral - being angry means I make more mistakes, and thus lose more, and thus get angrier. Not worth it :P.

That said, I am clearly odd. I found Blighttown, which seems to annoy most people, to be quite simple. Unfun, but simple. But the boss which to most people is easy, truly annoyed me. Amusing.

Drascin on
  • Options
    You're probably cheating with high gamma or something! Nobody tolerates Blighttown! :P

Professor, I hadn't thought about that. I guess it's best if they act it doesn't exist at all, or we get some comment from one of the developers just saying it's awesome that the PC community is so dedicated or something.

Or an official statement saying the won't provide any support at all for that, and to use it at our own risk.

• Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    Question on embers: do large embers allow you to upgrade +5 to +10, or do you have to use the small ember, get your stuff to +10, then give the larger ember on another playthrough to upgrade beyond that?

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Question on embers: do large embers allow you to upgrade +5 to +10, or do you have to use the small ember, get your stuff to +10, then give the larger ember on another playthrough to upgrade beyond that?

Embers are items that you give to the blacksmiths to unlock that reinforcement path. Once the blacksmith has the right ember, they can advance any number of weapons that way as long as you have the correct titanite.

For the Normal path, Andre can by default take a weapon from +0 to +5. After that he needs the Large Ember to take it from +5 to +6. Once it is +6 it can be upgraded anywhere (another blacksmith, or if you bought the items to reinforce things at a bonfire) until it gets to +10. At +10 you need to give Andre the Very Large Ember and he can ascend it to +11, after which you can then upgrade it anywhere to +15.

The same process applies to all the weapon types, they just need the right blacksmith with the right ember to get it onto the particular path.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Sorenson wrote: »

Large Ember unlocks +6 through +10. Very Large Ember unlocks +11 through +15. I believe the embers reset when you do a new new game +, and in any case you can't give the blacksmiths more embers to get up to +20 or whatever.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    The image above explains all that :) I guess divine is a little vague. At +5 you "Ascend" normal weapons into different types. So +5 halberd can be turned into a Divine halberd once you have the ember. Then +1, and so on.

I double dipped, PC souls are mine.

• Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Pretty sure you are talking about the
    Hydra

If so, strategy below:
    Run in just past the edge of the lake, careful if you go too far in you drown, there is a ledge.

If you are in close enough he will not shoot water at you, or will shoot it over your head.

Use a shield that blocks 100% physical like the Dragon Shield or Knight Shield....the Hydra will try to attack with his heads, which you block then chop at one of his many necks. You can also shoot arrows or magic from this close if you lock onto his body.

He is actually really easy, I killed him first try. Gives great rewards too.

Excision on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    So, not to re-start a previous argument but, unmodded, is this game visually identical to the Xbox version? Going by some earlier comments, I'm not sure if the textures have been downgraded in the porting process.

Also, is the frame rate noticeably better than both console versions in spots like Blighttown?

• Options
    Without mods, the game is visually equal to the console, however, depending on your computer, there are no framerate problems. I have a constant 30fps in Blighttown, and I'm using the mods to make it look better.

• Options
    Well, Quelaag down. See, it was just a matter of taking it easy and not summoning the phantom. Without Mildred there, I can bait and read the thing's movement and do some proper Monster Hunter on it. For example, if I stay at a medium distance all the time except to poke, she doesn't roar, which is the main problem I had - but with Mildred always up in her business, she was roaring all the time forever.

Instinctively answered no to the egg dude after, though, and didn't want to murder him. Will try to get past him later.

As of now, I'm at the Parish's bonfire, thank god. Now I better investigate what the hell is up with Firelink - to use the black orb I have to be human, I presume? Also, I'll have to go check what the flying fuck is the thing that appeared in the temple ruins there. But that'll be tomorrow. It's past midnight today.

• Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    I guess I worded that rather poorly. What I mean is, can you skip giving a blacksmith the first ember of a given series and just give him the second and be able to upgrade through the levels of the first ember of the series as well as those allowed by the second ember? Or do you HAVE to give him the first, upgrade through those levels, then wait until a NG+ to give him the second (since IIRC you can only give each blacksmith one ember a playthrough - or is it one TYPE of ember?)?

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're about to meet Queelag :)

edit: Polaritie - the furysword looks awesome, but isn't the greatest. If you want a good fire weapon, make one out of the uchigatana - or claymore. Whichever has a move set you like.

Yeah, I see that it's lacking in physical damage even at +5, but I can't find stats on how it scales with humanity.

She has a human part, which can be stunlocked if you land continuous headshots. Frankly, just summon Mildred and let her kill the damned thing. The roar is very cheap - you should always be blocking after a couple attacks.

There are two different wiki's for the game which do not overlap in their information completely. Anyways here is the information for Quelaag's Furysword humanity scaling. http://darksouls.wikidot.com/quelaag-s-furysword

I used it for most of the game as a Dex character and it makes very short work out of most enemies. Killed many of the bosses in one or two tries after upgrading it. Watch out for fire resistant enemies though.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
This discussion has been closed.