Options

Aliens: How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    avatar was dull and could've done more in less time

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Okay maybe it does deserve comment, but im just saying I think that kind of commentary is silly. Like getting worked up about the pro-violence message in Diehard.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I feel pretty much the same way about Avatar as I do The Dark Knight.

While both are decent movies, they just aren't something I would sit through more than the once.

Uriel on
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote:
    avatar was dull and could've done more in less time

Its dullness is an opinion (one which objectively I happen to have the majority of 'critics' on my side, not that that gives me any superiority, as its a subjective thing, etc), and lots of movies could do more in less time, doesnt make them bad films.

• Options
    Uriel wrote:
    I feel pretty much the same way about Avatar as I do The Dark Knight.

While both are decent movies, they just aren't something I would sit through more than the once.

Oh ok.

• Options
    uh
    huh

• Options
    What im saying guys is that I like Avatar and you are all poop.

• Options
    nah

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote:
    What im saying guys is that I like Avatar

My condolences

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    My main problem with Avatar was really that the hero's journey was so devoid of any real struggle or hard decisions. Jake didn't have to sacrifice anything by siding with the aliens. He didn't have anything tying him to the humans. It was just so empty.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well he had military service, which had given him direction and purpose, and he didnt KNOW that he would be transfered into a furry body, so in his mind he was pretty much sacrificing the ability to ever walk again or return to the service by siding with the smurfs. I mean its not Sophie's choice but its tough.

If the worst sci-fi action we were getting was Avatar it would be a good thing. But its rare you get something in this genre with better pacing, action, spectacle or depth (im not saying any of these were groundbreaking or fantastic, im just saying theres not much else out there). If big budget blockbusters were all like this itd be a good time to be alive.

Prohass on
  • Options
    8->

• Options
    Say what you will about James Cameron, his films are all paced well, solid, and the action direction is pitch-perfect, visually and thematically you always know whats going on. Compare that to the clusterfuck action sequences most Blockbusters devolve into now and you cant tell me its "the worst thing ever".

Im not arguing Avatar is a masterpiece, but its when people say "its utter dogshit worst movie ever" that I get my titties in a twist.

• Options
    it may not be the worst movie but it also didn't merit the boatloads of money it made

i'll say that about tons of movies, including the shitty Bayformers movies

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Antimatter wrote:
    8->

Look be as dismissive and patronising as you like but the majority of critical opinion agrees with me, im not some deluded nut or incapable of intellectually defending my opinions. You are in the minority even amongst film critics. Not that I place much stock in that (I hate a lot of rotten tomatoes 90%+ films), but I also dont smugly dismiss people who happen to like critically and commercially popular films.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Anything popular is the worst thing ever.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Prohass wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    8->

Look be as dismissive and patronising as you like but the majority of critical opinion agrees with me, im not some deluded nut or incapable of intellectually defending my opinions. You are in the minority even amongst film critics. Not that I place much stock in that (I hate a lot of rotten tomatoes 90%+ films), but I also dont smugly dismiss people who happen to like critically popular films.

Yes, because critics are always right, and never say anything idiotic, and only like great things. Yep. Yes siree.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    It made a boatload of money because it had a simple story that translates well internationally. Whether it deserves to or not who cares.

• Options
    considering all the hype for it i expected better

it was thoroughly mediocre in almost every aspect

it had better computer graphics than many other films before it, and it somehow convinced other directors to shoot in 3-D

• Options
    I care because I expect quality to be rewarded.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Prohass wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    8->

Look be as dismissive and patronising as you like but the majority of critical opinion agrees with me, im not some deluded nut or incapable of intellectually defending my opinions. You are in the minority even amongst film critics. Not that I place much stock in that (I hate a lot of rotten tomatoes 90%+ films), but I also dont smugly dismiss people who happen to like critically popular films.

Yes, because critics are always right, and never say anything idiotic, and only like great things. Yep. Yes siree.

I am obviously not saying this, cmon. Read my post, I hate films critics like and vice versa. What im saying is that being treated like some little kid with a patronising smiley-face because I happen to be defending a film doesnt do anti any favours. He or someone else in this thread also said the film is intellectually indefensible, im arguing that its not, and the majority of critical opinion supports me on this. Im not saying that the consensus is right, im just saying HE is in the minority so shoudlnt be the one doling out face-palms at my opinions.

And quality was rewarded, because the majority of people thought it was good quality. You are not the sole possessor of what does and does not deserve praise or commercial rewards.

Prohass on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    See, I liked the colonel guy, he knew his mission, and didn't give a fuck about anything in his way. He wasn't getting paid to care about blue people, he was getting paid to protect people stripmining the planet (moon, whatever). And he was good at what he did. He wasn't some fuckup, yeah he was beat, but it was because he had a traitor, and didn't know the extent of his enemy. I absolutely hate stupid, incompetent, and cowardly bad guys.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a girl, Prohass. Nor did I say it's intellectually indefensible.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote:
    It made a boatload of money because it had a simple story that translates well internationally. Whether it deserves to or not who cares.

This same logic can be extended

Using your logic, I can say that you're a fan of every single Scary Movie and Twilight film, because they have simple stories, and made lots of money

• Options
    Note: not dissing on Twilight, I love Twilight, but come the fuck on, that series didn't deserve 10% of the money it has currently made. Same thing with Scary Movie

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Prohass wrote:

This same logic can be extended

Using your logic, I can say that you're a fan of every single Scary Movie and Twilight film, because they have simple stories, and made lots of money

You're taking me out of context. Im not saying he should like it because it made money, im saying that whether it did or did not is irrelevant to the quality of the film. And his opinion on the quality of the film is irrelevant as to whether it deserves to make money.

This mainly comes down to that smiley face. That bastard smiley face. Strident smugness does not translate over the internet well. So im just kinda annoyed at that. We should probably go back to talking about Aliens.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Not male, Prohass.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh OK

So now you're only saying that people shouldn't have opinions, because opinions are irrelevant

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh OK

So now you're only saying that people shouldn't have opinions, because opinions are irrelevant

Im saying that people shouldnt stridently dismiss the intellect and defensibility of others opinions, especially when in the minority. Which I guess is the same. I dont know any more.

My apologies Anti, someone did at some point, I had thought it was you. Also on the gender thing, apologies all round!

Prohass on
  • Options
    all good

apologies for being patronizing

• Options
    Note: not dissing on Twilight, I love Twilight, but come the fuck on, that series didn't deserve 10% of the money it has currently made. Same thing with Scary Movie

You love Twilight? Seriously?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    He sat through Eat, Pray, Love about nineteen times

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the first two Twilight movies. Having been dragged to see them, I went in with such low expectations, I kind of enjoyed the fight scenes in the first, and the second one actually reminded me of what being a teenager in love felt like, which very few romantic-teen movies do. Its ugly, stupid and you cry a lot for stupid reasons. Twilight 2 reflected that. I havent seen the rest nor do I want to, my interest was mainly a kind of defensive reaction of "well Im here so I might as well enjoy it".

also pretty people

Prohass on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote:
    I just dont get this animosity towards the film, which I assume comes mainly from how popular it was, which was because of its simplicity and universality.

fuck you

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Hobnail wrote:
    He sat through Eat, Pray, Love about nineteen times

For a second there I thought that was YaYa.

• Options
    Dichotomy wrote:
    Prohass wrote:
    I just dont get this animosity towards the film, which I assume comes mainly from how popular it was, which was because of its simplicity and universality.

fuck you

Come at me BRO

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I hate Avatar because it is terrible

Whether other people liked it or not doesn't matter at all.

• Options
    guess I'm never taking Prohass seriously ever again!

• Options
    Now Eat, Pray Love, thats some irredeemable indefensible horseshit. Hoooooooooooooooo

• Options
    guess I'm never taking Prohass seriously ever again!

You did before?