Options

The Skyrim thread for adventurers who don't think jokes get funnier the more you tell them

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    it's not about how physically demanding it is or whatever common denominator you boil it down to

it is about how holy shit the skill bar WoW MMO way is probably the least interesting way to play a video game ever

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    I might actually buy Kinect for PC when it's out

Unless you're planning to develop software for it, I can't imagine why you'd want to

Especially considering it's gonna be like $250

I-I just want to use my voice as part of my UI

it looks so cool, dammit!

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    uh I don't think anyone's complaining that you push buttons... it's the way you push buttons that matters. I mean you play quake by pressing buttons too, but they're played completely differently... Wow and other mmogs, you just stand there with auto attack on and occasionally use a cooldown, that is so nothing like TES!

jwalk on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I might actually buy Kinect for PC when it's out

Unless you're planning to develop software for it, I can't imagine why you'd want to

Especially considering it's gonna be like $250

I-I just want to use my voice as part of my UI

it looks so cool, dammit!

Also I don't know if they'd implement Kinect into the PC version of Skyrim anyway

But yeah it does look cool

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    it's cool when it works, but sometimes it doesn't and then you just feel like a jackass yelling at your tv

which in my case is true but still

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if the mmo doesn't have auto attacks

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    jwalk wrote: »
    uh I don't think anyone's complaining that you push buttons... it's the way you push buttons that matters. I mean you play quake by pressing buttons too, but they're played completely differently... Wow and other mmogs, you just stand there with auto attack on and occasionally use a cooldown, that is so nothing like TES!

look

i can write up a super long post about this

and i can explain to you how i play my shaman and how i push a LOT of buttons and i never autoattack and it's fun and exciting and incredibly dynamic

and i can show you pictures and explain to you what each button on my bar is and when and why i use it

but the fact of the matter is that you're wrong, and you're being dismissive of something you aren't familiar with

i've conceded that they do not appeal to everyone, but for people to contend that they appeal to no one is asinine and I'm here to let you know.

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    thanks swordfights

you said what I wanted to say

but better

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Alternatively you could be like me and have played WoW for a significant amount of time and be totally familiar with the process of putting together macros and dealing with the gameplay system and still have decided that it's super boring and not dynamic at all.

I don't think anyone would contend that "no one" finds it appealing.

Just not me and apparently not jwalk either.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy straight up said it's the least fun way to control a game ever

To which I say

RTS games

also point and click adventure games

also

i enjoy the way MMOs play

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I just want a game that I don't have to play for 8 hours a day to keep up with everyone

• Options

science fact

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    i always feel like asinine sounds really harsh and i think it's just because it has ass in it

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    He said "least interesting" and you seriously couldn't infer the subtextual "least interesting to me" part of that statement?

He says "this is bad" and you assume he means it objectively, so you come back with "no, it is objectively good and you're wrong because clearly you just don't understand it."

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    if you're pointing and clicking powers, sure

if you hot key everything, then you have character control that other games can only dream of

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    man the Kinect support is really rad, kind of makes me want one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qk5TljuJtE

That is actually very impressive. I had no idea... damn, now I want a Kinect.

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    He said "least interesting" and you seriously couldn't infer the subtextual "least interesting to me" part of that statement?

He says "this is bad" and you assume he means it objectively, so you come back with "no, it is objectively good and you're wrong because clearly you just don't understand it."
    well first off, my post was at jwalk, not dichotomy

a lot of people condemn things like that

i will admit that with dichotomy, his tastes are different enough that it's just implied that an imo is appended

@Tommy2Hands once said "every post should just have imo in the signature"

but with people, a lot of the time, when they start talking about how shitty or bad or uninteresting something is, say it with that raw conviction in their hearts, that it is indeed objectively awful and not something that anybody worth knowing would like, often saying it without thinking that there are people in their immediate vicinity who enjoy that thing

and that annoys me, so after jwalk's post I wanted to make it known that people do enjoy the stuff they're insulting, along with its fanbase. ("autoattack, sip mtn dew, press 1, repeat" was the part that really brought it about but then dichotomy came in and i referred to something he then said and yeah)

i will agree with your first point, but to your second, my point was that "it is objective fact that people do enjoy it" and he clearly doesn't understand if he thinks that's even an approximation of how the game is played

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    i mean seriously look at this shit

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.221675100/categoryId.57273700

yes, i hear you say "but that's only for the hardest of the hardcore"

and to that i reply yes if you play a game at a more basic level you will have a more basic control scheme funny how that works

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular

To which I say

RTS games

also

RTS GAMES RULE FUCK YOU

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Pharezon wrote: »

To which I say

RTS games

also

RTS GAMES RULE FUCK YOU

i am sure they are good games for people who like those kind of games

but man i just can't dig on them

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    I can't wait for Heart of the Swarm

SC2 is one my favorite games for the custom games and single player

MP is too hard

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    How can anyone not like point+click adventure games?

You get to have an adventure.

• Options
    oh wow

so I guess they really nerfed the rate at which Smithing levels? dang

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    shrim

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I'm sure lots of people like the way regular MMOs play. If you can call an MMO player a person.

But Skyrim and Oblivion are at leat 50 times more fun than any MMO I've tried. As in, they are fun to play at all, and not just designed to appeal to stat-grinders. There is absolutely no point in making an Elder Scrolls MMO, and taking everything fun about Elder Scrolls away, and replacing it with boring WoW garbage.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    An Elder Scrolls game where you wander the land, Skyrim style, except you can opt to share an instance with a group to go clear out a dungeon or kill a particularly nasty boss

Your "singleplayer" adventures also contribute to the ranking of your faction/guild/whatever, so even if it's just you and your buddy doing a little two-guy co-op in a wood full of wolves you'll still get shit done

Except that's not really an MMO so much as "The Elder Scrolls + drop-in co-op", so, I don't know, throw in some small PvP skirmishes to establish dominance of a particular area and bam, job done

I don't understand how MMOs work.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    jeeeez leveling smithing really sucks now

possibly even worse than alchemy blergh

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    On the other hand

Enchanting levels really, really quickly now.

• Options
    that's good

this build I decided to go for relies heavily on enchanting

I'm only taking the novice magic spells to access more fun talents and 20% damage upgrades for weapons so I can get the fun things, and will use enchanting to make up for the low damage

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    that's good

this build I decided to go for relies heavily on enchanting

I'm only taking the novice magic spells to access more fun talents and 20% damage upgrades for weapons so I can get the fun things, and will use enchanting to make up for the low damage

You can combine smithing and enchanting by making like 25 iron daggers and then enchanting them. Also really profitable.

• Options
    Yeah but now iron daggers give NOTHING towards leveling smithing

when 25 iron daggers used to be like 15 levels it is now like 2

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    That MMO looks all kinds of mediocre. I can't even fathom why they decided to do this considering every not-WoW MMO released in the last half a decade or longer has failed to meet expectations and most of them barely made enough money to break even.

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    because this one will be different because it has this fancy name on it

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    yeah it's weird how companies are looking at WoW and going "yeah we can do that"

and totally ignoring how the fifty or so odd clones have all failed

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Dux wrote: »
    On the other hand

does it now? i was going to write it off entirely this playthrough because grinding that shit was the worst

i'd at least like to get it up to a level that allows for creating serviceable enchantments, if it's less tedious to boost

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    yeah it's weird how companies are looking at WoW and going "yeah we can do that"

and totally ignoring how the fifty or so odd clones have all failed

Well, it seems to work out for Bioware.

• Options
    So, I've found that the border gate that leads to morrowind is open for some reason. I mention this because most other border gates are closed and it seemed weird. Dunno if it's normal.
    Yeah but now iron daggers give NOTHING towards leveling smithing

when 25 iron daggers used to be like 15 levels it is now like 2
    Still though

$$$$$

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    Dux wrote: »
    On the other hand

does it now? i was going to write it off entirely this playthrough because grinding that shit was the worst

i'd at least like to get it up to a level that allows for creating serviceable enchantments, if it's less tedious to boost
    I think it does. 25 daggers gave me I think about 50 levels.

That said my memory is pretty bad, but I remember it leveling really quickly.

• Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    Yeah there is no way it was that high unless I was doing something completely wrong

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Oh right, forgot to mention I also had sign of the mage at the time.

No wait, simply forgot.

Dux on
This discussion has been closed.