As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Oscars Pool 2012 Champion is...Bogey! Again! Thrice in Four Years! Make him prizes!

• Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    6000 douchebags

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    If you want my much more cynical and possibly oversimplified take, the Academy is fucking dumb.

This is why old people shouldn't have to make important decisions like this

They always find a way to fuck it up

Now, hold on.

If you endorse this statement, you're basically saying that an Oscar committee with Jeff Bridges, Morgan Freeman, Meryl Streep, John Malkovich, and Harrison Ford would be bullshit.

I cannot in good faith allow you to endorse this unfettered.

Haha

In order to be in a committee like that, they'd have to be retired so as to be unbiased

Like those people will ever retire

On the off chance they did I would definitely alter my statement to fit this awesome super-committee

But I think those actors will die before they retire

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The academy awards are way too political with giving awards to people they 'feel' have done good work and are 'deserving'. Despite the fact that the award may not be for their best work.

See: training day.

• Options
    You know one movie I need to rewatch

Like right now?

Inglourious Basterds

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Haha

In order to be in a committee like that, they'd have to be retired so as to be unbiased

Like those people will ever retire

On the off chance they did I would definitely alter my statement to fit this awesome super-committee

But I think those actors will die before they retire

You know what we have to do.

We have to pull a Tonya Harding.

Five, actually.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    On an unrelated note, <3 a Sweeney.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    so the conclusion is that sandra bullock is getting an oscar just because

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    The academy awards are way too political with giving awards to people they 'feel' have done good work and are 'deserving'. Despite the fact that the award may not be for their best work.

Yup
    If you look at a list of actors with Best Actor or whatever, and what movie they got it for vs. what their generally accepted 'best movies' are it's ridiculous.

• Options

Like right now?

Inglourious Basterds

IMO best picture of it's year

• Options
    I think the conclusion is Sandra Bullock is getting an Oscar because of bias, we just can't decide on which bias; nepotism, racism, or prejudiced meritocracy.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Kochikens wrote:
    Blake T wrote:

Yup
    If you look at a list of actors with Best Actor or whatever, and what movie they got it for vs. what their generally accepted 'best movies' are it's ridiculous.

Like Colin Firth in The King's Speech

Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Kochikens wrote:

Like right now?

Inglourious Basterds

Same here. It deserved it more than Hurt Locker, Blind Side, Up, and Avatar at least.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I always found the blind side a conflicting story as it almost becomes, the only way to succeed in life if you are black is to live with white people.

Blake T on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote:

Like right now?

Inglourious Basterds

Same here. It deserved it more than Hurt Locker, Blind Side, Up, and Avatar at least.

Inglorious was a piece of shit movie with a weird fetish for murdering Nazis in brutal ways.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Pharezon wrote:
    Inglorious was a piece of shit movie with a weird fetish for murdering Nazis in brutal ways.

Phare, before Kochi rips you limb from limb, I just want you to know I've always loved you.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Staleghoti wrote:
    Kochikens wrote:
    Blake T wrote:

Yup

You're the one who thinks that a silent film can't have a best writing nom!

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    basterds was pretty much the definition of "an entertaining movie"

saying it was better than hurt locker is the same as being right out yo damn mind

• Options
    Inglorious bastards just was too long.

By the time every scene had finished, I just had wished it ended five minutes before.

• Options
    Blake T wrote:
    Inglorious bastards just was too long.

By the time every scene had finished, I just had wished it ended five minutes before.

Thank you for sparing me the five minutes it would've taken me to stumble to this point.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Kochikens wrote:
    Staleghoti wrote:
    Kochikens wrote:
    Blake T wrote:

Yup

You're the one who thinks that a silent film can't have a best writing nom!

I havn't seen the movie yet, but yeah I think it just got a nod for writing cause it's a novel idea.

We'll see what I think after watching tho, maybe it'll actually be that good.

Good enough that some guy who actually writes candid, genuine dialogue was overlooked.

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    "Academy Award nominee Jonah Hill" sure is a phrase

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote:

Phare, before Kochi rips you limb from limb, I just want you to know I've always loved you.

The only bright spot that came of that mess was Christopher Waltz getting better gigs.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    I'm not referencing anything in particular with that bottom line.

seems like finding a movie with words would be like shooting fish in a barrel at this point

• Options
    Pharezon wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:

The only bright spot that came of that mess was Christopher Waltz getting better gigs.

.... Green Lantern...?? Water For Elephants...??

• Options
    a tarantino movie glorified violence? huh

i thought he was better than that

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    The thing that gets me about The Blind Side is that the best most interesting part of the book is the analysis of the rise of the importance of Left Tackle as a strategic position in on the football field. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the fictionalised heartwarming tale that the movie portrays (although that is also kind of explored in the book).

On the other hand, the success of The Blind Side paved the way for other interesting sports analysis books to be optioned into movies, leading directly to Moneyball. So there's that, I guess.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Kochikens wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:

.... Green Lantern...?? Water For Elephants...??

Hornet

• Options
    Also, if you like tarantino. You'll like the shit out of IB.

It has all the stuff he is famous for. Long scenes. Intricate dialogue. Periods of extreme violence. Interesting base ideas for a movie.

But really, wasn't for me.

• Options
    Tarantino movies don't glorify violence.

They glorify long, winding dialogues where you don't expect them.

Then they glorify violence.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote:

There was a time when Tom Hanks was that guy from Big and Joe versus the Volcano

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Fishman wrote:
    The thing that gets me about The Blind Side is that the best most interesting part of the book is the analysis of the rise of the importance of Left Tackle as a strategic position in on the football field. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the fictionalised heartwarming tale that the movie portrays (although that is also kind of explored in the book).

On the other hand, the success of The Blind Side paved the way for other interesting sports analysis books to be optioned into movies, leading directly to Moneyball. So there's that, I guess.

primary difference

looking only at movies

Blind Side, shit

Moneyball, excellent.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    I always thought Inglorious Basterds was the Buddhist tale of redemption and Kill Bill the propaganda commentary.

• Options
    Jonah Hill is a nice dude, and it's clinically unfair that he keeps getting cast as the goofy best friend in dumb movies.

Hopefully the nomination and/or win gets him some better roles.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Jonah Hill was damn good in Moneyball

Damn damn hell damn ass good

• Options
    what the fuck even is the blind side

is it that movie about a rich white lady and a poor black kid who teach each other how to love

• Options
    The blind side isn't a bad movie.

It's quite enjoyable.

But I do not think bullock deserved an Oscar over it really.

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote:
    Tasteticle wrote:

There was a time when Tom Hanks was that guy from Big and Joe versus the Volcano

Yup.

I am not saying this is a bad thing, I really do enjoy him

I just think back to Superbad or Knocked-up and it gives me a feeling

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    Blake T wrote:
    The blind side isn't a bad movie.

It's quite enjoyable.

But I do not think bullock deserved an Oscar over it really.

I don't feel like that movie deserved any nomination for anything and I feel it was kinda poor in all things.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Pharezon wrote:
    Kochikens wrote:

Like right now?

Inglourious Basterds

For a movie with so much rampant violence, it manages to make a scene of two people talking immensely engrossing.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    what the fuck even is the blind side

is it that movie about a rich white lady and a poor black kid who teach each other how to love

It's about a white Christian family in Texas that adopts a poor black kid living on the streets. He starts playing football, and eventually gets into the NFL.

The (incendiary, but not entirely untrue) moral of the story is that black people are hopeless, unless pitied by the white man.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]