As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android Games!

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Hey, Star Trek Timelines is pretty damn fun, if you have any affection for Trek
    it basically mixes all Timelines and alternate universes together and has a ton of references to pretty much everything
    It's pay to play but you can play it decently without paying

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    Hey, Star Trek Timelines is pretty damn fun, if you have any affection for Trek
    it basically mixes all Timelines and alternate universes together and has a ton of references to pretty much everything
    It's pay to play but you can play it decently without paying

Yeah, I've been playing that a fair bit lately myself (though on iPad). It's getting a bit grindy, but I still enjoy it. I wonder if fleets are cross platform?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I am REALLY digging Clash Royale. F2P model doesn't seem too awful either, at least so far. Definitely at least worth taking a look at.
    Ugh why did you tell me about this I was already playing Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes and Star Trek: Timelines. I can't add a third game to the rotation.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I've barely played it, but 7 Mages is pretty cool. It's like Legend of Grimrock (which isn't on android?!) in that it's a first person, grid based RPG. Though it seems to have more of a story than LoG, which apparently is a fantasy take on 7 Samurai (or the Majestic 7 if you prefer). It reminds me of the old Dreamforge AD&D games from 20+ years ago. It's a niche genre that I love, but some might find it clunky if they're not used to it.

The first 4 areas are free, and buying the full game will set you back $6.42. Seems fun, but will surely eat through my tablet's feeble battery.

I'd link the play store page, but can't figure out how to do that on my tablet from the app.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    I've barely played it, but 7 Mages is pretty cool. It's like Legend of Grimrock (which isn't on android?!) in that it's a first person, grid based RPG. Though it seems to have more of a story than LoG, which apparently is a fantasy take on 7 Samurai (or the Majestic 7 if you prefer). It reminds me of the old Dreamforge AD&D games from 20+ years ago. It's a niche genre that I love, but some might find it clunky if they're not used to it.

The first 4 areas are free, and buying the full game will set you back $6.42. Seems fun, but will surely eat through my tablet's feeble battery.

I'd link the play store page, but can't figure out how to do that on my tablet from the app.

Zis?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.napoleongames.sevenmages

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Yeah, thanks. I wasn't at my computer and play store links automatically open the app on my tablet.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »
    Yeah, thanks. I wasn't at my computer and play store links automatically open the app on my tablet.

On a tablet or whatever you can scroll down the store page to 'share' and just copy to clipboard. You might have to scroll around a bit, it was like three pages over for me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    The 2nd major update for Battlestation Harbinger came out with all the new fancy ships.

It's pretty good and I recommend buying it.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Battlestation Harbinger is actually in the $1 tier of the newest Humble Mobile Bundle

ce6ThMB.png?1

I'm pretty tempted to get that $6 tier so I can actually play Grim Fandango

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I grabbed Fading Light from Reddit because the developer posted it and said it's his first game. I've been busy, but plan to open it sometime during a bathroom break this week. Anyone tried it yet?

• Options
    I wish humble did more mobile stuff.. I really dig their mobile app because it's just so much simpler than digging through what I've bought/used on the play store

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just finished my playthrough of The Banner Saga on my morning bus ride today. I didn't realize it was planned to be a trilogy so the end was kind of sudden with a lot of loose ends.

That being said, I was looking at my wishlist and I was curious. Does anyone have any experience with the Android FF/Squenix games? Specifically, I'm looking at:

Final Fantasy
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Chrono Trigger
    The World Ends with You
    Dragon Quest 8

Mostly I want to know if the controls are any good and if the port job was done well.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I've played through FF4 and I thought it was great. It uses a virtual joystick for movement, which works fine (you can tap anywhere and then move your finger in a direction). I really liked the addition of the auto action system and the ability to change battle speed. It really made any grinding much less painful.

• Options
    I just finished my playthrough of The Banner Saga on my morning bus ride today. I didn't realize it was planned to be a trilogy so the end was kind of sudden with a lot of loose ends.

That being said, I was looking at my wishlist and I was curious. Does anyone have any experience with the Android FF/Squenix games? Specifically, I'm looking at:

Final Fantasy
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Chrono Trigger
    The World Ends with You
    Dragon Quest 8

Mostly I want to know if the controls are any good and if the port job was done well.

DQ8 is perfectly playable if your phone is decent. The port works fine, but the lack of voice acting really hurts it because damn it was so good.

If you never played it before it'd be just fine.

FFT runs without problems for me. No hitches or whatever.

CT crashed a lot when I first bought it but haven't actually tried it again recently.

All the final fantasy games play well.. The first two can be a bit wonky with the license check on occasion. The rest I never had the issue with.

Final fantasy dimensions still an amazing old school style final fantasy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    FFT is a bit on the slow end with animations though, because it's a port of the psp version I think. It's also pretty fiddly menu wise. Not enough thought into adaption to mobile. (I bet it'd be easier on a tablet)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    I just finished my playthrough of The Banner Saga on my morning bus ride today.
    How was Banner Saga on the phone?

...damn, I'd love it if I could sync games across phone and PC. SteamCloud Mobile.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Final Fantasy
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Chrono Trigger
    The World Ends with You
    Dragon Quest 8

I have a Note 3 and FFT was excellent on it with the stylus

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    FFT is a bit on the slow end with animations though, because it's a port of the psp version I think. It's also pretty fiddly menu wise. Not enough thought into adaption to mobile. (I bet it'd be easier on a tablet)

I just don't enjoy the FFT experience. Things just take too long. You really miss the dexterity of a better control system.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I just finished my playthrough of The Banner Saga on my morning bus ride today.
    How was Banner Saga on the phone?

...damn, I'd love it if I could sync games across phone and PC. SteamCloud Mobile.

I thought it was really good though the load times on my Nexus 6 are pretty long. One issue with it (I'm not sure if they ever fixed it) was that you can't really stop mid-battle. So say you have to get off the bus mid-battle and go to work, odds are likely that you are going to have to start that battle over again. It wasn't an issue on my 30-45 minute bus rides since battles usually take less than that.

I also had some issues with crashing in a couple of battles to the point where, in one key battle, it would crash before right before the end. Eventually it worked but honestly I tried that same battle 10 times. Not sure what the difference was when it worked. But some of that might be chalked up to my phone. It's been acting a little glitchy, especially when other apps use google maps.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the info guys. It's promising. Now to just wait for a sale. But in the meantime, does no one have any experience with The World Ends With You? I've heard great things about that game so I'm curious. I tried it via an emulator on my 2012 Nexus 7 but the controls were NOT great.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Chrono Trigger is kind of broken during one part. The controls make the game almost completely unplayable there.

TWEWY I've heard great things about the iOS port, but nothing from folks on the Android. If it's similar, I'd guess it's pretty great.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Someone make a Clash Royale PA clan!

Ive hated all the other clash games, but the real time aspect combined with a deckbuilding mechanic has got me hooked. I just started playing this past week an i'm at 1200 crowns. Im playing like everyday which is really odd for me and a mobile game...

ObiFett on
  • Options
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Someone make a Clash Royale PA clan!

Ive hated all the other clash games, but the real time aspect combined with a deckbuilding mechanic has got me hooked. I just started playing this past week an i'm at 1200 crowns. Im playing like everyday which is really odd for me and a mobile game...

There's already a Penny Arcade clan.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Lara Croft Go is a good game.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    I'm disappointed it's not a Go game.

• Options
    New game I'm playing. Tales of links.

Yes, it's a Tales game. Yes that means the story is pretty dumb.

3x3 grid of heroes, draw a line through ones with matching symbols.

Elemental stuff, something about summons, there is equipment and whatever.

Since the English version launched recently it seems pretty generous with the login bonuses and events and such. Killed a hour on it earlier.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Since the English version launched recently it seems pretty generous with the login bonuses and events and such. Killed a hour on it earlier.

I loaded it. Trying to decide if rerolls are necessary and if so where.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah I just downloaded Tales of Links as well. Saw someone describe it as Tales of All the Bravest, which makes me think I should try that as well.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I loaded it. Trying to decide if rerolls are necessary and if so where.

Did you get Asbel as your starter? Also it's fairly quick to clear quests to get enough to do the beginner 10 pull with a guaranteed 5*. I just happened to get Collette, Lilith and Lumeila. So I was happy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tales of Link is confusing. Apparently there was a normal level weapon that I must've already fed which was possible to evolve into SR but I didn't realize it.

• Options
    Also granblue fantasy English patch is up. Not an official English release but if you install it via qooapp there is an English language toggle.

Basically it's an ffrk that doesn't suck ass.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular

What does that mean? Is it not a Gatcha?

• Options
    skinkbaaskinkbaa Registered User regular
    Never played Hearthstone, how is it on mobile?

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »

What does that mean? Is it not a Gatcha?

It is the epitome of a Gatcha game. They also had a bit of a scandal in January surrounding altering the rates on a super popular character and getting reamed by the community for it.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    skinkbaa wrote: »

It pretty good if you already play the PC version. Jusy don't play Nozdoromu since PC players might know how to exploit the timer and make it so you can't play your turn.

If you are just starting they are going to change the gameplay up soon in attempt to make it better for new players.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Eh, which even FFRK is getting some possible backlash for. Honestly, that concerns me little. I'm curious to try this game, but can't seem to find the english download patch anywhere.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Also granblue fantasy English patch is up. Not an official English release but if you install it via qooapp there is an English language toggle.

Weird, because ffrk doesn't suck ass.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    skinkbaa wrote: »

Surprisingly good. I find the phone version easier to use than the tablet version, oddly enough (maybe just because my S6 outclasses my tablet). It's fast and despite the tiny interface I don't really misclick much on my phone (tablet is another story, lag can lead to fatal misclicks).

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Weird, because ffrk doesn't suck ass.

Except it does! Not only do you need heroes you need the proper SB/ssb items or they totally suck ass.

Granblue is tied to characters and you can grind for weapons and do other such things to power up besides take another beating at the gacha.

There is also a really good story, raids, the art is gorgeous, etc.

Just a much better game in every way except no final fantasy coat of paint.
    Eh, which even FFRK is getting some possible backlash for. Honestly, that concerns me little. I'm curious to try this game, but can't seem to find the english download patch anywhere.

The patch is in the game. It's an official thing, they just aren't releasing it globally because that's a hassle they aren't sure if worth it.

When you launch the app/web site you can scroll down from the initial title screen and there will be a language toggle.

steam_sig.png