As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android Games!

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    If you're on Android, you'll need to enable "apps from unknown sources" as well. I toggle that option only when I install Amazon appstore/Underground apps; which is not often.

Yeah I did that and that's how I got the Underground app to install, but it doesn't work for me now for some reason. :(

Maybe I'll try to get the APK and download it manually that way.

Might have to install the Amazon App Store as well since prior to this all Amazon apks required you to have that installed.

That's not on the play store anymore.
    mts wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Man I need another game to play on my phone. Final Fantasy Record Keeper is now taking WAY too long to play in the mornings and I need something more involved than Fallout Shelter. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to pretty much anything as long as it doesn't involve too much swiping on the phone. I prefer menu-based if possible.

Not Brave Frontier (had the same problem that FF: RK is having for me).

Plants Vs Zombies 2. It's real time, but you can just play the daily special level and stockpile resources if you're short on time. In case you heard bad things about it at some point, it's now a MASSIVE game, with much more content than the original. There are plants you have to buy with real money, but you can of course win without them. And you get to use the pay plants on the dailies sometimes, so it's not even like you won't get to use them ever.

PVZ2 was awesome a few years ago. I might go ahead and reinstall just to play through it again.

Also I can't get the Amazon Underground games to install. I installed the Amazon Underground application. I downloaded the game and when it says "Install" I can't click the button to install. Everything else is clickable but the Install button is not. Has anyone run into this? I've restarted my phone, verified that I allow installs from other sources, and made sure every security setting is off.

I can't say that I ran into that.. you're buying and installing them through Underground, right? Like, opening it, finding the thing you want etc.? I'm just asking because I didn't know this at first, and was trying to get stuff through the appstore app instead.

Yeah I launch the Underground app, find the app, click the download button and then it prompts me to install. I just cannot click "Install", "Cancel" works and everything else does.

does your phone meet the requirements for the app?

It's an S6 and it seems to be happening with all the apps (including a Sesame Street one I was going to install for my daughter... I swear!)

I tried installing something from the underground app and it seemed to download properly but I had to do some screen switching or fiddling to get it to bring up the actual installation/permissions page. But I think you are getting the Permissions screen and the install button just isn't working, right?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    If you're on Android, you'll need to enable "apps from unknown sources" as well. I toggle that option only when I install Amazon appstore/Underground apps; which is not often.

Yeah I did that and that's how I got the Underground app to install, but it doesn't work for me now for some reason. :(

Might have to install the Amazon App Store as well since prior to this all Amazon apks required you to have that installed.

Man I need another game to play on my phone. Final Fantasy Record Keeper is now taking WAY too long to play in the mornings and I need something more involved than Fallout Shelter. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to pretty much anything as long as it doesn't involve too much swiping on the phone. I prefer menu-based if possible.

Plants Vs Zombies 2. It's real time, but you can just play the daily special level and stockpile resources if you're short on time. In case you heard bad things about it at some point, it's now a MASSIVE game, with much more content than the original. There are plants you have to buy with real money, but you can of course win without them. And you get to use the pay plants on the dailies sometimes, so it's not even like you won't get to use them ever.

PVZ2 was awesome a few years ago. I might go ahead and reinstall just to play through it again.

Also I can't get the Amazon Underground games to install. I installed the Amazon Underground application. I downloaded the game and when it says "Install" I can't click the button to install. Everything else is clickable but the Install button is not. Has anyone run into this? I've restarted my phone, verified that I allow installs from other sources, and made sure every security setting is off.

I can't say that I ran into that.. you're buying and installing them through Underground, right? Like, opening it, finding the thing you want etc.? I'm just asking because I didn't know this at first, and was trying to get stuff through the appstore app instead.

Yeah I launch the Underground app, find the app, click the download button and then it prompts me to install. I just cannot click "Install", "Cancel" works and everything else does.

It's an S6 and it seems to be happening with all the apps (including a Sesame Street one I was going to install for my daughter... I swear!)

I tried installing something from the underground app and it seemed to download properly but I had to do some screen switching or fiddling to get it to bring up the actual installation/permissions page. But I think you are getting the Permissions screen and the install button just isn't working, right?

Yep and I can click each Permission and it tells me the description, but that Install button will not get hit. I have tapped it a billion times.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Are we limiting this to just PA members? Lvl20 seems like it will take a while, and as far as I can tell the cartel is worthless until then.
    PA and friends is usually what we do. I thought I saw the cap on cartel members is something tiny like 40, we'll probably hit that without opening up general recruiting.

Okay. What are cartel levels 2-19 even for? Are cartels just an incomplete feature at the moment? It seems to me that there's only the one opportunity mission available at lvl20, which apparently eats one of your daily assaults. It doesn't auto-add cartel members as friends, it doesn't even notify you of a cartel chat message unless you're already in the chat menu.
    Also, I see people are recommending to buy the second day bonus pack with your premium space money, and I'd concur -- I wish I'd known when I had the chance. It's a lot of cash and materials to grease the wheels, you make plenty in the next day or two to cover the cost, and I expect I'll get bored of the grind and drop the game before I find somewhere better to spend it.
    What's this second day bonus pack thing?

It's the "Goods for Kashyyyk" pack, I think it pops up occasionally on the first two days. For 150 or 300 chromium (two tiers), you get a bunch of credits and materials plus a few items. After 3 days I have about 1500 chromium and nothing I really want to spend it on, but I'm generally low on credits, so I think it's a reasonable investment.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

It never was on the play store or in the Amazon Shopping Underground app. You have to go and search for it on the Amazon.com website.

Or here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get/androidapp/ref=mas_gs_mbl_redir

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Are we limiting this to just PA members? Lvl20 seems like it will take a while, and as far as I can tell the cartel is worthless until then.
    PA and friends is usually what we do. I thought I saw the cap on cartel members is something tiny like 40, we'll probably hit that without opening up general recruiting.

Okay. What are cartel levels 2-19 even for? Are cartels just an incomplete feature at the moment? It seems to me that there's only the one opportunity mission available at lvl20, which apparently eats one of your daily assaults. It doesn't auto-add cartel members as friends, it doesn't even notify you of a cartel chat message unless you're already in the chat menu.
    Also, I see people are recommending to buy the second day bonus pack with your premium space money, and I'd concur -- I wish I'd known when I had the chance. It's a lot of cash and materials to grease the wheels, you make plenty in the next day or two to cover the cost, and I expect I'll get bored of the grind and drop the game before I find somewhere better to spend it.
    What's this second day bonus pack thing?

It's the "Goods for Kashyyyk" pack, I think it pops up occasionally on the first two days. For 150 or 300 chromium (two tiers), you get a bunch of credits and materials plus a few items. After 3 days I have about 1500 chromium and nothing I really want to spend it on, but I'm generally low on credits, so I think it's a reasonable investment.

Where is this pack, like... In what menu?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Chromium is your "Premium Pull" currency, I wouldn't spend on stuff you can just grind for. For 120 you get one pull for 3*+ items.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I think it was a popup when I entered a location (for example, after completing a mission and showing up in the marketplace or wherever again). I kept closing it since F2P games are constantly shoving premium currency deals in your face, but apparently after it expires that's that.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I haven't logged on to Uprising in two days. Those magical first two days of non-stop play were great.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Am I missing something or is there very little to do after your assault missions? Daily credit missions, crew runs, and repeatables. What else?

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I tried getting Fruit Ninja (just to test something) this morning through Underground and it worked fine, which I no is of no help, but thought I should at least report back that it doesn't seem to be the store having some sort of general problem. Sorry :(

forumsig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I tried getting Fruit Ninja (just to test something) this morning through Underground and it worked fine, which I no is of no help, but thought I should at least report back that it doesn't seem to be the store having some sort of general problem. Sorry :(

Thanks for checking anyway. My amazon account says it's added to my account so at least if/when I figure it out I can still get them eventually.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Alright, just applied to the Uprising cartel. Started playing yesterday, up to about level 12 or 13. Pretty fun so far.

• Options
    Is Uprising's loot just bugged or what am I doing wrong? Haven't gotten a single gear drop in the entire sector battle...just components. even doing a couple multiplayer runs didn't change that.

• Options
    Gear drops are pretty rare. The only 3*+ I've gotten have been from pulls and upgrades.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    im not even looking for 3 star gear. Trying to finish off the hutt guard set....but during the sector battle, I can't go after gear on that Hutt planet Mataou <sp?>

EDIT: Woot! now that the sector battle is over and I can do assault missions again, which DO drop gear. I got the last hutt guard piece for the set. yay! I'm just not a fan of these limited missions. I can only grind gear when they say I can, and only for five missions a day.

EDIT2: And the armory is still bugged. the hutt guard gear is tier 2, I max out the piece I just got, Armory now says it's tier 1, Inventory says tier 2

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Are you sure it's the same set? There are different tiers.

Also 1* and 2* pieces are the same tier as long as they have the same name. But there are identical gear icons with different names.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    Just applied to cartel as Jackie Calrissian.

7B14287.png
  • Options

Also 1* and 2* pieces are the same tier as long as they have the same name. But there are identical gear icons with different names.

yeah, that's the bug with the armory. I've been collecting the 2star pieces of the set. When they are not maxed out, they show up correctly in the armory. As soon as I max them out though, the armory says I only have a 1star. I reported it on the forums and a dev acknowledged it. Fortunately, it's just a display bug.

Now I need crystals. This new player guide seems like it may be useful in farming crystals: http://community.kabam.com/forums/showthread.php?568108-Newx-s-New-Player-Guide

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »

yeah, that's the bug with the armory. I've been collecting the 2star pieces of the set. When they are not maxed out, they show up correctly in the armory. As soon as I max them out though, the armory says I only have a 1star. I reported it on the forums and a dev acknowledged it. Fortunately, it's just a display bug.

Now I need crystals. This new player guide seems like it may be useful in farming crystals: http://community.kabam.com/forums/showthread.php?568108-Newx-s-New-Player-Guide

Man I have been doing so many things wrong, ha! Time to go back and grind the heck out of those daily, repeatable & assault missions.

• Options
    Yeah. It's mostly killed my motivation to play. I noticed that the requisite PR for missions was creeping up as I leveled, and I hate that. Also it's starting to stack my crew runs with 4 star jobs that I can only get like 40% on, half of them dangerous, and sometimes they take 12 hours. I feel like I'm already done with the fun part of the game.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    There are definitely some flaws in Uprising, I'm willing to stick with it assuming the devs respond and fix some these issues. I think the patch notes say they're still on 1.0 so I'm willing to give them some time.

That and if they've got regular swords in the game, you bet your ass they're going to eventually add in a Jedi class and lightsabers. It's just a question of when.

My biggest annoyance was that when I did some coop with you fine classy people, the rewards weren't significantly better...if at all. Doesn't seem to be too much incentive to group up

VoodooV on
  • Options
    Itemization is demonstrably flawed and needs work. I did like a dozen missions for that Star Destroyer where I only got desh.

• Options
    Itemization is demonstrably flawed and needs work. I did like a dozen missions for that Star Destroyer where I only got desh.
    Pretty sure the star destroyer missions only give desh. The big reward from them is ... the conflict currency. Which I have no idea how to get Ranked in.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I had five pieces of green star and one blue star gear maxed before I deleted the game because difficulty level spiked a little too hard.

Someone should remove me from the clan,

• Options
    peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    Yeah. It's mostly killed my motivation to play. I noticed that the requisite PR for missions was creeping up as I leveled, and I hate that. Also it's starting to stack my crew runs with 4 star jobs that I can only get like 40% on, half of them dangerous, and sometimes they take 12 hours. I feel like I'm already done with the fun part of the game.

That is in line with my experience. The last few story missions I completed I was about 10-20 pr from the top tier, so I had to do some straight grinding to get there. I am maxed out on a few greens, and still have room to grow on a couple blues and a purp, but now the story missions seem to have a tier that is about 180% of my current pr. How are people expected to have that high of a gear score so early on?

The needing to have a high pr to keep up with the increasing pr creates a vicious cycle and as soon as you miss a mark on it, or a have an unlucky streak, you're stuck. Additionally, the daily credit missions you need to complete to keep your credits up to pay for the desh runs to keep your pr up increase your xp, which increases your level, which increases the pr requirements.

Outside of that, there are a ton of rng gotchas that can bring your progress to a dead halt, gems for gear and blueprints for crew being the top two. Anyone else have half a dozen crew stuck maxed at one star because they have zero tier one carbonite? Are the rest maxed at two star for lack of the right blueprint from a set you are missing one piece of? (Also, 20,000 credits to upgrade three star gear? wtf?)

I think the problem is the combination of making everything codependent on each other, and also sourcing all the required items from rng. There isnt any kind of release valve for taking the tonnes of stuff you do not need right now, and converting it into something you need to progress. I would gladly pay credits to swap one gem type for another, or to break apart a gem into its lower star equivalents. I am not even sure that it is constructed that way to drive you to pay real money, as the things you can pay for will in no way guarantee your progress.

So, yeah. That's my rant for having played Uprising while sick for most of the weekend. Niceish game, but I am feeling that I am stalled out before barely starting the game.

7B14287.png
  • Options
    I'm not sure I get the monetization model either. Can you even buy gem packs?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, hit the green plus next to the premium currency. It's only uses are to revive, expedite the gear grind, and... Buy the limited edition packs like the one they just put pop ups in for.

Edit: I just realized you meant the upgrade gems. No you can't, except in the limited edition packs. It's nice, premium shouldn't feel necessary to the upgrades.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Hmm.. I can't seem to play Uprising any longer. The game just doesn't start.
    Reinstalls don't work either. Odd.

• Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I think someone mentioned this a few pages ago, but Card Crawl is pretty great.

It's basically solitaire, but with monsters and loot. You're dealt a 54 card deck and have a character who starts with 13 health and no equipment. The object of the game is to make it to end of the deck alive and with as much gold as possible. You do this by strategically playing the weapons, shields and potions you get to fight the monsters in the deck, while also selling as much equipment as you can without getting killed. Mere survival is easy, and at first I wondered what the point was. But the true challenge lies in getting high scores and achievements by risking death to obtain more gold.

It gets more interesting, too: of the 54 cards, 49 are always the same: there's always the same distribution of monsters, weapons, potions, and coins. The other 5 cards are ability cards that let you take various actions. There's a total of 30 abilities to unlock, and you unlock them with the gold you earn by playing the game. In Normal mode, the 5 ability cards are chosen at random from the ones you've unlocked, but in Constructed you get to pick. So there's a deck-building element of trying to maximize value by strategically combining ability cards. There's also a daily dungeon that offers the same 5 random ability cards to everyone who plays it that day. You can only make one attempt per day and there's a high score board so you know how well you did versus everyone else who was dealt that deck.

Overall I really like it. Each individual game takes about 2-3 minutes, but you can really just sit and play game after game and rack up gold while watching tv or something. It's just the right amount of compelling to keep me interested while not sucking away time that I don't care to spend on it, which is just what I want from a mobile game. :)

Kylindra on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Has anyone else been playing Kill Me Again? I'm enjoying it so far but I still can't decide if I can abide their current balance between content and paywall. It's a match-3 game that ends up playing out sort of like "You Must Build a Boat" and I think there's some solid design behind the game, but with the amount of "pills" activities take and the amount of time it takes to generate them I'm finding myself running out of things to do after like 20 minutes of play. I find this kind of thing that excludes me from playing the game when I want to is abhorrent but I can't exactly fault them on it when most games are like that. I guess I'm a little disappointed because other games from the publisher/dev combo seem to have that balanced well and can play them pretty much for as long as I'd want and whenever I want without problems.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Dungeon Boss keeps showing up in my Facebook feed. The YT vids I found for it look compelling; even if gameplay is a bit shallow. It looks like something my kids could have fun with, but I'm worried they could "accidentally" spend money while just randomly tapping on things (they are 4 and 6).

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Does it work in airplane mode? That's how I keep my kids from buying stuff.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'll check it out tonight and let you know.

Also, FYI that Amazon Underground keeps adding games. They recently added the My Little Pony game my daughter enjoys; and they made all the pay portions of the game completely free(!)

They gave the same treatment to Jetpack Joyride, recently, as well. It's worth checking in occasionally to see what shows up.

• Options
    I'll check it out tonight and let you know.

Also, FYI that Amazon Underground keeps adding games. They recently added the My Little Pony game my daughter enjoys; and they made all the pay portions of the game completely free(!)

They gave the same treatment to Jetpack Joyride, recently, as well. It's worth checking in occasionally to see what shows up.

Yeah Amazon Underground is neat. They have Monument Valley for free, including the additional chapters. Very cool game.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    How is Amazon profiting from Underground? I get the way they pay developers, making apps free and getting them to drop IAP stuff in exchange for paying them based on user playtime (1 cent per 5 minutes per player). I'm not seeing where Amazon earns anything though. Are they running targeted ads for Amazon listings? Are they doing this strictly to piss off Apple and Google, trying to pull customers away from their stores?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Talith wrote: »
    How is Amazon profiting from Underground? I get the way they pay developers, making apps free and getting them to drop IAP stuff in exchange for paying them based on user playtime (1 cent per 5 minutes per player). I'm not seeing where Amazon earns anything though. Are they running targeted ads for Amazon listings? Are they doing this strictly to piss off Apple and Google, trying to pull customers away from their stores?

I think they just want people to have the Amazon app-app on their phones so they might buy other stuff from them.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Data. The rest is probably gravy, but the primary is most likely data.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Kylindra wrote: »

I think they just want people to have the Amazon app-app on their phones so they might buy other stuff from them.

i think its more of the add on shopping. if you are always going to underground to get an app, you are more likely to start looking at other things and apps on the site and more likely to buy them there. its why stores load the check out line with easy to grab and cheap stuff

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    So quick question, I'm itching to sink my teeth into a decent android RPG

I've got a nexus 6 and android 6.0.

Anything to reccomend (bar the final fantasy games which I think are a bit pricey).

Ideally something fire emblem-ish would be great.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    So quick question, I'm itching to sink my teeth into a decent android RPG

I've got a nexus 6 and android 6.0.

Anything to reccomend (bar the final fantasy games which I think are a bit pricey).

Ideally something fire emblem-ish would be great.

Have you played The Banner Saga? That might be up your alley. It has been on sale for as little as $5 multiple times, I think.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman